31 Carnival Cruises down - Totally clueless for first RCL!!!

I am so excited for my upcoming April  Harmony of the Seas cruise.  I am a pro on Carnival - Platinum status - totally spoiled.  So here goes with my questions.  Help please!

1. Embarkation - We have noon on our boarding pass although I have read we can get there as early as 10:15 in Orlando and they don't enforce the set time like Carnival.  True?

2.  Dinners - Do we really need to pay for all those specialty restaurants or will we be happy in the main dining room?  Have done both on Carnival and I'm usually fine in MDR.

3.  Wine package - does RCL have a separate multi bottle purchase package?  Does anyone have the link?

4.  Unlimited drink package - boy I have read a lot of posts on the "sale" price pre cruise.  I don't think we will drink enough to make it worth $61 a day.  Does anyone have the link to the drink prices?

5.  Any other Carnival/RCL cruise tips on the difference between lines would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks from a hopefully converted RCL Cruiser!

1. So far it's go anytime.  Royal has never looked at appointment times.  At 10:15 there will be a line or maybe they just opened the doors.

2. Food is personal.  I rarely do specialty dinners unless a TA throws one in for free.  Try the MDR and you'll know, don't assume you need speciality.

3. No wine package commonly offered.  

4. RCI doesn't use fixed beverage package pricing.  It's all over the map.  Many suspect it's based on sales trends or supply and demand factors on a per cruise basis.  Check the cruise planner often, price drops occur outside of announced sales.    You can buy it and if price drops cancel and repurchase in the cruise planner online.

5. I sailed 10 Carnival before switching to Royal.  Keep an open mind.  You may find yourself saying "That's not how Carnival does it".  Let go of how CCL does it and go with the flow.   Make reservations for the entertainment ahead of time in the cruise planner. Trust me even if it feels weird having to make reservations.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

Way more similarities than differences. 

1.  Show up when you're ready!

2.  Dining room food, IMO, is very similar with Carnival getting the edge on desserts.

3.  Not sure.  May be an option if the ship has a Vintages??? 

4.  Check your Cruise Planner.  On Harmony you can reserve times for the shows. This is highly recommended.   All of  the prices for drink packages etc. are there.

5.  To me, one of the major differences between the two is how they handle pool towels.  On Carnival, room stewards exchange these each night and you can also exchange on the pool deck.  On Royal, the checking in and out of towels is on the passenger, with people lining up and ensuring they don't get charged $25 post cruise because of a foul up or forgotten towel.  Other than subjective food options, this is the one area I wish Royal would adopt Carnival's methods. It's small beans but, hey, we are comparing.

6.  You're on a cruise - Have a great time!

5 hours ago, CruisinCanuck63 said:

Way more similarities than differences. 

1.  Show up when you're ready!

2.  Dining room food, IMO, is very similar with Carnival getting the edge on desserts.

3.  Not sure.  May be an option if the ship has a Vintages??? 

4.  Check your Cruise Planner.  On Harmony you can reserve times for the shows. This is highly recommended.   All of  the prices for drink packages etc. are there.

5.  To me, one of the major differences between the two is how they handle pool towels.  On Carnival, room stewards exchange these each night and you can also exchange on the pool deck.  On Royal, the checking in and out of towels is on the passenger, with people lining up and ensuring they don't get charged $25 post cruise because of a foul up or forgotten towel.  Other than subjective food options, this is the one area I wish Royal would adopt Carnival's methods. It's small beans but, hey, we are comparing.

6.  You're on a cruise - Have a great time!

Do they start you with a beach towel in your cabin. This is my first in a long time on Royal. I am a loyal carnival fan.

4 minutes ago, Monthend said:

Do they start you with a beach towel in your cabin. This is my first in a long time on Royal. I am a loyal carnival fan.

Nope, you have to get beach towels from the pool deck.  Any you don't return by the last day of the cruise will be charged $25 per towel.  You can exchange used towels for clean towels as much as you like.

I will say, after going on both lines, that the MDR food is pretty equal in my opinion.  I would not do specialty dining unless you really just wanted something extra.  As for the drink package, check the cruise planner for pricing for your specific cruise.  We have paid anywhere from $48-52 for it.  Also on Royal the drink package is truly unlimited whereas Carnival has the 15 drink limit (never got close to the limit but just mentioning that).  If you have a fresh squeezed juice at breakfast, a soda or two, a bottle of water and couple drinks by the pool with some wine at dinner you have hit the price of the drink package and on Royal it works on their private islands (Coco Cay and Labadee).

9 hours ago, GB Chicago said:

... Does anyone have the link to the drink prices?

Omly your Cruise Planner on Royal's website has the price for your sailing.  Check it often, prices can change at any time.

One more thing. Carnival has nothing close to the Harmony. Even the new Mardi Gras, in my opinion doesn't come close. Another thing you will find is that RCCL moves people on the ship better than anyone else, so it rarely feels crowded. Enjoy your cruise, and welcome to Royal.

• Like 1

Wanted to let you know I was Milestone on CCL before going to RCCL. Think Crown and Anchor benefits blow CCL out of the water! With that said, you will Love Harmony of the Seas. When are you sailing?

1) Go to the terminal when ever you want 

2)Think you will be fine in the MDR, Harmony will offer lunch for a lower cost that dinner if you would like to try them.

3) Drink package has different pricing. If you are a big drinker it would be in your benefit to purchase. And no daily limit like CCL. May want to wait to board. But no expert on that subject.

4) Make show reservations if able before sailing. You can try to get into a different show if you get in line early, they open the line to people with out reservations minutes before shows. 

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Welcome to RCCL!

Thank you everyone for the awesome advice!  I will definitely have an open mind and am actually really excited to try something different.  Couple of other questions.  

Excursions - I've really counted on member reviews to figure out which excursion I'd like to try.  I stay with the cruise lines offerings because I've heard to many horror stories around making it back to the ship on time, weather canceling ports, etc.  What I can't find on the RCL site is any member reviews on the excursions - am I missing the link?

Individual drink menu prices - it's hard to figure out if the drink package is worth it without knowing how much a glass of wine costs.  On Carnival, almost every bar has the same drink menu with the same price (varies a bit but mostly the same).  Does RCL do the same?  Does anyone have a picture of the menu?

Again, thanks all for helping this RCL newbie!

• Like 1

I'd aim to get there around 11am....rarely does boarding begin before 10:30 or so....it may save you a lot of waiting, if you get there around 11am.

If you're happy in Carnival's MDR, then you should be happy on RCI.  If nothing strikes your fancy, you can always eat elsewhere that night...they take walk-ups in the specialty restaurants.

If you plan on drinking more than 2 or 3 drinks per day, then a package is probably worth it.....just depends....RCI really overprices their drinks!

21 hours ago, GB Chicago said:

I am so excited for my upcoming April  Harmony of the Seas cruise.  I am a pro on Carnival - Platinum status - totally spoiled.  So here goes with my questions.  Help please!

1. Embarkation - We have noon on our boarding pass although I have read we can get there as early as 10:15 in Orlando and they don't enforce the set time like Carnival.  True?

2.  Dinners - Do we really need to pay for all those specialty restaurants or will we be happy in the main dining room?  Have done both on Carnival and I'm usually fine in MDR.

3.  Wine package - does RCL have a separate multi bottle purchase package?  Does anyone have the link?

4.  Unlimited drink package - boy I have read a lot of posts on the "sale" price pre cruise.  I don't think we will drink enough to make it worth $61 a day.  Does anyone have the link to the drink prices?

5.  Any other Carnival/RCL cruise tips on the difference between lines would be greatly appreciated!!!!

1. Embarkation - We usually get there around 10:00 and check in and relax in the waiting area.  Keep in mind they board by Crown and Anchor status, guests who have purchased the Key program and guests in suites are boarded earliest.  Since you will be a Gold status cruiser you'll board after those guests.  It actually goes pretty quickly and when we were Gold we've been on board between 11:00-11:30 and cabins have usually been open around 1:30.

2.  Dinners - So subjective, it's been a while since we've cruised Carnival but I would say the MDR is pretty much the same IMO.  We are fans of specialty dining and have opted for the dining packages.  My wife and I enjoy the food and atmosphere better than the MDR.  I feel like CCL has better and more included options.  We liked the pizza better on CCL.  It has been a while since we have cruised CCL, but food overall is very similar.

3.  Wine package - not sure on this one but you might want to check onboard at Vintages.  Also each cabin is allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine in your carry-on.

4.  Drink package - As others have stated it can be used on more than just alcoholic drinks, I've seen it as low as $48 on our upcoming cruise and I believe it is currently selling for $51 per day PP.  Just keep checking your cruise planner and do the math, we've never purchased it as we don't drink that much to make it worth it for us, and prices on all pre-cruise related items on your cruise planner will go up and down.  It's very easy to purchase something and cancel and rebook if there is a price drop.  

5.  The biggest advice I would give you is make sure you book your entertainment in advance, just keep checking your cruise planner to see when the shows are available to book.  The aqua show is not to be missed so try and book it early.  I've heard of the aqua show being cancelled from time to time due to winds and rescheduled for later in the week.  If you book that show early in your cruise and it gets cancelled you'll have a chance to see it later.  We really love the Oasis class ships and feel like the entertainment is much better than CCL but the shows do fill up so book early.  

Enjoy!

On 1/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, GB Chicago said:

Congrats on the Carnival sailings. We have cruised 50+ with them. Now for the Harmony. You will love it from top to bottom and everything about. it is worth every penny. First. Unlike Carnival, Book the shows as soon as you can. You will be able to enter early to get a good seat. Otherwise you will be waiting till it almost starts and they will let you in but only if there is room. Food is excellent everywhere, specialty, MDR and the buffet is awesome. The very best buffet and blows Carnival away. Well that is not saying much as Carnival has terrible buffets but the very best steak house. Do not miss any of the shows even the extra ice show. You can ice skate but you need to take a pair of socks and they will give you skates. I only get the soda package for one. You can get a soda and buy a shot to put in it. We may get a cappuccino or two. Also a frozen drink or two. No where near the cost of the unlimited drink package. Totally depends if you are drinkers or not. You can only figure that out. Figure in how often you will want a drink and how often you will actually be on the ship to get one. We always loved ships with 2000 to 4000 guests max. Saw the harmony advertised so often on the TV when it arrived we had to give it a try. One of our very best and most exciting cruise we ever took. Only one problem. We want to go on it again but the shows may not change for 7 years or so. So enjoy every moment on the ship.

Common drink menu across the fleet.  However things like wines may change so don't take this verbatim.  Beer selection also varies by ship.  Add 18% mandatory gratuity to every drink purchased.

RC_Drinks_2019-1.jpg

RC_Drinks_2019-2.jpg

RC_Drinks_2019-3.jpg

RC_Drinks_2019-4.jpg

RC_Drinks_2019-5.jpg

RC_Drinks_2019-6.jpg

RC_Drinks_2019-7.jpg

RC_Drinks_2019-8.jpg

• Like 3

I'm about to become platinum on my Carnival cruise this April.  I have cruised on two of Royal's ships, though not as big as the Harmony.  I actually am booked on the Harmony this March.

The differences I noticed are:
Carnival has much better comedy shows with many more shows offered.  
Royal's theater shows are so much better than Carnival.  Their ice show is amazing.

No reservations for Carnival shows.  I really dislike making reservations for shows and like just showing up early to get good seats.  I have to go with the flow with Royal, so I've booked all of the shows I could (five) for my cruise.  It looks like I have to wait until I board to book the family comedy show.

I think the buffets are similar for breakfast and lunch.  I really like the Guy's and Blue Iguana options on Carnival.  I can't remember what Royal offered for lunch besides their buffet and sit down restaurant.  The dinner buffet on Royal is so much better than Carnival's.

Royal does try to sell their extra dining and beverage packages and I can remember being interrupted while eating in the buffet several times.  I think Royal may offer a drink card mid cruise.  Someone here may know.  Also, I think they also offer a laundry bag special mid cruise, similar to Carnival's.

I also noticed that Royal's excursions don't have reviews.  I always liked reading the reviews on Carnival's excursion pages before booking.  I wish Royal would do the same thing.  I am taking my 17 year old grandson on the Royal cruise and think he will enjoy all of the extra things to do more than he would on a Carnival cruise.  Personally, I love the comedy shows on Carnival and am content with them.  I am looking forward to Royal's shows though because I know they will be amazing.

I really enjoyed my previous two cruises on Royal and think you will too.

Edited by TNcruising02

58 minutes ago, Monthend said:

Do the bartenders make other drinks. Like a black Russian or martini?

I’ve also had bartenders just make drinks up for me, or serve me one of their personal favorites/specialties. I just tell them what general liquors and flavors I like. Of course, that’s using the beverage package so if I don’t like it, no harm no foul. 

I have 28 cruises with NCL and we are looking at jumping ship and trying the new "Oasis of the seas".  One reason is it looks like a awesome and huge ship, plus will be leaving out of New Jersey.

I've read that the beverage plan can/will change per ship anywhere from $49 to $89 a day. Does that include Gratuities?

It looks like all of your questions have been more than adequately answered, so I'll just offer some of my recommendations that I didn't see mentioned yet.

Harmony has a LOT of different small eateries scattered about, that aren't necessarily "restaurants" but still a good place to grab a snack or light meal.  One of those is Park Cafe in Central Park (soups, salads, sandwiches -- this is the location for the famous "beef on weck" roast beef sammich!).  There are also some grab-and-go items in a cooler there... fruit cups, salads, and sandwiches.  You can grab those and keep them in the cooler/fridge in your room for a snack later, or take them to another part of the ship to enjoy.  Examine your deck plans and make sure you know all your options!

On sea days, Royal offers lunch in the MDR (and breakfast every day in the MDR, port and sea days both).  For both meals they offer "buffet" or "menu / a la carte".  Often they will ask which option you want, and seat you in a different section accordingly.  I usually say "menu" because I can still go to the buffet in addition to ordering items off the menu.  The buffet is a lot more limited than what is offered in the Windjammer, but there are still plenty of options.  I would liken it to a wedding reception buffet... a few main dishes, a few side dishes, breads and cheeses, etc.  The breakfast buffet would be comparable to a higher-end hotel breakfast buffet, with eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast / waffles / pancakes, fruit, pastries, etc. 

There is also a WONDERFUL salad bar option at lunch on sea days in the MDR.  It's called Tutti Salad, and there is a spread of various greens, vegetables, cheeses, proteins, etc.  You tell the server which items you want, and they put it in a big mixing bowl, add your choice of dressing, and then toss/chop it all together and pour it into a dish for you.

It's plainly listed in the Cruise Compass newsletter every day what hours the MDR is open for breakfast/lunch, so I don't know why so few people seem to know about this, but every cruise I've been on I've heard people say they didn't realize that they had breakfast and lunch options beyond the Windjammer.  

So that brings me to my next recommendation.... READ YOUR CRUISE COMPASS!!!!  You'll get one delivered every evening for the following day -- sit down and read it!  (If you want one for each person in your room, you can tell your room attendant and they'll leave you extra copies -- you can also always get one from a display at Guest Services.)  There will be a breakdown of all eateries/bars and when they are open, as well as all the entertainment shows, various activities around the ship, and hours of operations for things like the slides, rock wall, etc.

Final advice -- check out The Quest game show.  Typically later at night towards the end of the cruise, like Thursday or so.  It's only offered once, so keep an eye out for it.

Have fun!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Daniel1313 said:

Doesn't look like they offer any IPA's in the beer category ....

I know they have at least one IPA, cannot remember what though.  Most drink menus are just a general offering of what they have and you can also get a larger selection of beer, ale and ciders in the pub if there is one on your ship.  But you have to remember that is is a ship on the ocean, it cannot have every brand/flavor/type of anything.  Which is unfortunate because I love Aviation gin and cannot always get it when I cruise, no matter what line😥 😂

• Like 1