Manhattan Cruise Terminal Give me the least painful way to arrive and depart from this port?

Jimbo

We live in South Jersey so will be driving up the turnpike North with our own car. Now tell me is it best to find a hotel nearby with Park and Cruise with transportation to and from the port. This will be for a 10 day cruise.

I know it's crazy busy there getting off the ship and finding  transportation to my car. Yes the hotel we stay at might include that in the park and cruise price, but that always seems to take forever to get picked up.

I know this is a crazy busy terminal with people departing and arriving. Okay give me the secret to getting this done the easy way. Fast and effiencene as can be done.

Not opposed to parking at the port either I guess..........Whats the rate now there per day?

MSC Cruiseline

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal charges $40 a day. It's not that crazy, drop your bags at the pier then park your car. That's the easiest way. 

Jonathan

How much of a hike back is it to get back with your bags to check in and what do people do once getting off for the return home, I assume you can take your bags back directly to your car or do you have to come around and pick up the bags and person again at the same spot you originally dropped the bags off at?

This is a 10 night cruise starting  on the 2nd to the 12th.....I assume that wil count as 11 days. $440, yikes!

Is the Parking lot 50 Bond Street Parking?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/711+12th+Ave,+New+York,+NY+10019/@40.7696312,-73.9978849,428m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c25845004758c3:0x6a04c5692cba8fec!8m2!3d40.7691055!4d-73.9964354

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, 138east said:

The stay, park, cruise options are the Hilton Gardens and Hampton Inn in Ridgefield Park and the Fairfield Inn in North Bergen.  New Jersey options only.

Got it, thanks

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal charges $40 a day. It's not that crazy, drop your bags at the pier then park your car. That's the easiest way. 

Jonathan

Actually you pay, Park your car, and then walk with your bags to the big elevator, go down, and drop off luggage with a porter. It’s pretty easy, after the cruise either walk your luggage to your car or spend the $ on a porter (which will get you through customs faster).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Actually you pay, Park your car, and then walk with your bags to the big elevator, go down, and drop off luggage with a porter. It’s pretty easy, after the cruise either walk your luggage to your car or spend the $ on a porter (which will get you through customs faster).

Thanks, really undecided at this time:

but have the Hampton Inn 100 Route 46 East, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, 07660, USA reserved for $250, cancellable.

1 minute ago, Noxequifans said:

If convenience and a quick getaway when disembarking are important .... park at the Port.

Says ship sails at 7pm, I'm just wondering if we drive in day off and getthere and parking lot is full then where do we go, saving $190(11 nights parking times $40.00) and piece of mind knowing we have parking space at Hotel and are close to the port the port that morning might make for a better start of the cruise.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Says ship sails at 7pm, I'm just wondering if we drive in day off and getthere and parking lot is full then where do we go, saving $190(11 nights parking times $40.00) and piece of mind knowing we have parking space at Hotel and are close to the port the port that morning might make for a better start of the cruise.

I don’t think it’s ever full, there is another one right next door.

“Least painful way” is to park at the pier.  Get there around 10am, you should not have any parking issues. When you drive into the terminal, go directly to the parking level; don’t go to the departures level and drop your bags first, or you’ll have to exit and drive around again to park.  At the end of the cruise, you and your bags will be in your car quickly, and you’ll be on your way home.   Would not want to take the time after a cruise to schlep my luggage back to a hotel in New Jersey. 

Edited by Turtles06

Ditto, for simplicity - just do the roof-top cruise terminal above ... Most likely, mega-ships like MSC will be using Pier 88 and if the parking lot is expected to fill up, they will open & divert the overflow parking to the next Pier over, #90 to handle the demand.

Parking for extended cruises are capped - currently - at $40 per day x 10 days or $400 for the duration, whether it's for 11 days, 12 days or 14 days.  No surcharges or surprises for oversized (weight, height, width, length) vehicles or a full-size van, extended XLT pickup or Hummers, etc. 

This is a CC link/post started about 6 years ago by another CC'er - some of the original photos/image links are no longer valid, I've uploaded more recent ones ... including a few that I took of Pier 90's interior (Dec. 2019) to help folks visualize what to expect when driving there, getting dropped off, and walking into the terminal, thru security & check-in area; and, the waiting area / roped of lounge, etc. 

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's not a garage. They are open air parking lots right on the roof of the cruise terminal buildings.

I guess it wouldn't be that hard to just park up there and roll our bags right to the big elevator and then down to check -in, skip the step of dropping my wife off with the bags down below on the ground floor.

Just now, Jimbo said:

I guess it wouldn't be that hard to just park up there and roll our bags right to the big elevator and then down to check -in, skip the step of dropping my wife off with the bags down below on the ground floor.

It’s not, and that’s how you should do it.  In fact, when you enter the parking lot, there’s a place near the elevators where you can pull over and unload your luggage and have one person wait there with it while you go park.  But really, it’s no big deal. The lot is on one level. 

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s not, and that’s how you should do it.  In fact, when you enter the parking lot, there’s a place near the elevators where you can pull over and unload your luggage and have one person wait there with it while you go park.  But really, it’s no big deal. The lot is on one level. 

The one time we asked if we could do this (after the dog check) we were told no. Not a big deal, we just parked and rolled our luggage (family of 7). 

Just now, mjkacmom said:

The one time we asked if we could do this (after the dog check) we were told no. Not a big deal, we just parked and rolled our luggage (family of 7). 

As with so many things in life, random.  (Perhaps it depends on how busy things are.) But as you said, it’s not a big deal to park and roll your bags to the elevator.  

Reference post #106's pictures in the other parking link - if you decide to stop on the dropoff - level 2 to unload luggage, you will need to exit the terminal (there is no "up" ramp to the roof-top open air parking entrance) and go around, back out onto 12th Avenue - and if traffic is congested in that area (it will be, on a busy port turnaround day, with thousands arriving by vehicles and thousands leaving) - can easily take an extra half an hour.

Just drive straight up the ramp to roof-top parking, pay the fees - thru security screening & get an open parking spot to pull in.  You might even catch a porter dropping off disembarking passengers with luggage, and get them to help bring your bags down directly ... simple/easy, just remember to tip for services.  

It's not rocket science, quick and not complicated nor painful. 

On 1/26/2020 at 12:49 PM, Jimbo said:

We live in South Jersey so will be driving up the turnpike North with our own car. Now tell me is it best to find a hotel nearby with Park and Cruise with transportation to and from the port. This will be for a 10 day cruise.

I know it's crazy busy there getting off the ship and finding  transportation to my car. Yes the hotel we stay at might include that in the park and cruise price, but that always seems to take forever to get picked up.

I know this is a crazy busy terminal with people departing and arriving. Okay give me the secret to getting this done the easy way. Fast and effiencene as can be done.

Not opposed to parking at the port either I guess..........Whats the rate now there per day?

MSC Cruiseline

What would it cost for round trip car service ?Certainly less than $400 to park the car.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What would it cost for round trip car service ?Certainly less than $400 to park the car.

94 minutes
80.58 mi
Base fare
$0.00
Rate per mile
$0.50
Minimum fare
$199.00
Subtotal
$199.00
Surcharges
$25.30

Estimated fare

$224.3

Here's one quote shared shuttle, no tip...one way

Private car.

94 minutes
80.58 mi
Base fare
$0.00
Rate per mile
$2.60
Rate per minute
$1.00
Minimum fare
$69.00
Subtotal
$303.51

Estimated fare

$303.51

Edited by Jimbo

On 1/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jimbo said:

Thanks, really undecided at this time:

but have the Hampton Inn 100 Route 46 East, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, 07660, USA reserved for $250, cancellable.

Are you sure that rate includes shuttle service?  When we were considering this, I noticed the Hampton Inn rate details said:

Park, Stay and Go

Park and cruise package

image.thumb.png.d4d901700afa0d6dfb54c0d297418832.png

While the Garden Inn rate quote says this:

Park Ride and Cruise

Park ride and cruise. 4 person maximum per reservation breakfast and parking with shuttle service

image.thumb.png.6e2951b9a7d439e323c5cbece0a66131.png

Either way, I don't think the price difference between these packages vs. parking at the pier is worth it.  So much easier to leave home the morning of the cruise.  You aren't that far away; leaving at 8 am you should be fine to get there by 10.

We live in the  Philadelphia area and still use the Hilton Garden inn for several reasons. For less than the cost for parking you don't have to worry about making the ship. The Jersey Turnpike can be unpredictable and of course you could have car problems the day of. Transport to and from the pier was easy and quick.