What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Whether the company is making the correct call on this issue remains to be seen but at the moment.....this is what they have decided to do. Maybe this is one of those times that it's good that Regent monitors these boards since I have no doubt that they know who is who.

35 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Yes

and

Yes

If I am running a fever it is usually from running around, not the flu.  I am not going to take a chance that I get kicked off even if I don't have the flu.  I don't think fever by itself should be a determination.

I remember a post on CC around 15 years ago by someone that was rejected by China from entering because he was HIV positive.  He was honest so he missed the cruise and, as far as I know, did not get reimbursed.  Why didn't he just say no.

Uh, good luck with that. With the stakes being as high as they currently are, and technology being what it is, you’ll get caught. And attempting some creative spin on the subsequent insurance claim would be fraud.

7 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Uh, good luck with that. With the stakes being as high as they currently are, and technology being what it is, you’ll get caught. And attempting some creative spin on the subsequent insurance claim would be fraud.

Paul, I am not a fool.  I am not going to lie on health questionnaire or try to grossly manipulate a temperature check; however, if I am hot and sweaty I am going to do what I can to lower heart rate and body temperature (probably just drink lots of water).

I once had an allergic reaction which reared its sneezy little head on the transfer from Bangkok to the port.  I must have sneezed 200 times.  Yes, I used my elbow, yes, I turned my head, and, yes, I got dirty looks from everyone on the bus.   I was fine once off the bus and on board.  I would have been pretty upset if someone tattled and prevented me from boarding.  

And, on a tour of Hong Kong, I got car sick on the winding road going to Victoria Peak and ended up staying on board the bus rather than getting on the cable car.  I felt like throwing up but didn’t.  All this to say that some symptoms that others observe are not contagious and people should be cautious about telling authorities.  

i also realize that the stakes are high now and, perhaps, an abundance of caution is in order.  

• Like 1

This is getting pretty ridiculous.  I thought Marc's point was mainly that these attempts at screening are very rough and could never be made to be perfect.  Obviously he also stated that one can be overheated for many reasons other than illness (what do we do after a sweaty day onshore in the tropics?) 

There's so much hysteria about this particular virus right now. Someone over on the FB RSSC group suggested that everyone's temp be monitored every time they return to the ship after an excursion.  This is just silly.  Are we going to have fever guns pointed at us everywhere we go?

• Like 2

The biggest issue, to me, is the reported incubation time for the virus.  Up to 2 weeks according to most reports before symptoms show themselves.  Therefore any temp taking on boarding, reboarding--whatever--will not fully weed out those who carry this virus.  So, it's a crap shoot.  Someone develops the virus post the HK embarkation and the other passengers are potentially already exposed because this can be transmitted without symptoms. We board on March 1 in HK, and have been looking forward to this cruise for a long time.  Personally, I think Regent should announce--sooner rather than later--that HK is off the table.  They are, indeed, putting people in harm's way by loading there.  Silversea is using Manila.  Not my favorite port but probably less stressful than HK.  It is very unlikely, too, that HK will close the border with the mainland any time soon. Politically, they won't be allowed to and there will be continued travel back and forth.  Not good. 

7 minutes ago, Longhorn1 said:

The biggest issue, to me, is the reported incubation time for the virus.  Up to 2 weeks according to most reports before symptoms show themselves.  Therefore any temp taking on boarding, reboarding--whatever--will not fully weed out those who carry this virus.  So, it's a crap shoot.  Someone develops the virus post the HK embarkation and the other passengers are potentially already exposed because this can be transmitted without symptoms. We board on March 1 in HK, and have been looking forward to this cruise for a long time.  Personally, I think Regent should announce--sooner rather than later--that HK is off the table.  They are, indeed, putting people in harm's way by loading there.  Silversea is using Manila.  Not my favorite port but probably less stressful than HK.  It is very unlikely, too, that HK will close the border with the mainland any time soon. Politically, they won't be allowed to and there will be continued travel back and forth.  Not good. 

Have to agree with you every which way. We are boarding in a few days Bali to HK and though we are going, we are feeling the pressure!

Interesting.....but that is not much help to those of us boarding in Hong Kong on March 1!   So far, Regent has been silent in even attempting to assuage our concerns!  I’m not a happy camper right now.  Everything I’m reading is just adding more fuel to the fire.  More cases, especially in places where we are supposed to be going.  I realize for Regent  it is about $$$$$$. I called Regent to see if we could exchange this trip for another......HA!

For those who are booked on cruises that are scheduled to embark or disembark in Hong Kong, it seems that the affected cruises are not until the end of February/ early March.  Unless things change dramatically (unlikely), I think that more likely than not, Regent will be making a change in where you will be getting on or off the ship.  Crystal has changed the embarkation/disembarkation ports that included Hong Kong to Taipei.  Hopefully, Regent will make this decision sooner rather than later, and hopefully, they will step up in assisting passengers in rearranging air arrangements.  

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

This is getting pretty ridiculous.  I thought Marc's point was mainly that these attempts at screening are very rough and could never be made to be perfect.  Obviously he also stated that one can be overheated for many reasons other than illness (what do we do after a sweaty day onshore in the tropics?) 

There's so much hysteria about this particular virus right now. Someone over on the FB RSSC group suggested that everyone's temp be monitored every time they return to the ship after an excursion.  This is just silly.  Are we going to have fever guns pointed at us everywhere we go?

Yes, you will have a fever gun pointed at you pretty much wherever you go in Asia I would suspect. And it’s hardly ridiculous. We just spent one post cruise night in Hong Kong and flew home yesterday. Random thoughts:

1. As someone already mentioned, everyone in HK is wearing a mask, and so were we.

2.  Every museum is closed, as well as any space where large groups might congregate, including the market by the big Buddha.

3. We were stopped by security at the airport three separate times, asking us where we visited, and also wanting to see our boarding passes and passports.

4. We were also checked for fever as we disembarked at the port ( there was one of those scanners you just walk by...an officer was holding up a sign asking me to take off my hat since that will interfere with readings), and again at the airport by a fever gun.

And guess what?

I didn’t find it ridiculous. Of course I don’t know whether or not anyone on our flight was turned away because of an elevated body temperature, but if they were, great! Call me crazy, but I’d rather not sit in a metal Petri dish for 13 hours with someone showing a symptom of the virus. There’s no better incubator for disease, except maybe one. A cruise ship. Be glad cruise lines are using them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Currently in HK...everyone is all masked up

According to public health officials masks do little if anything to stop the virus because the virus is in "heavy droplets" and is not airborne.  What IS effective is constant hand washing and hand disinfecting and avoiding touching one's face with one's hands (if possible...) .  Sanitizing wipes and hand washing are going to be a lot better "weapons" than anything else.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, boblerm said:

For those who are booked on cruises that are scheduled to embark or disembark in Hong Kong, it seems that the affected cruises are not until the end of February/ early March.  Unless things change dramatically (unlikely), I think that more likely than not, Regent will be making a change in where you will be getting on or off the ship.  Crystal has changed the embarkation/disembarkation ports that included Hong Kong to Taipei.  Hopefully, Regent will make this decision sooner rather than later, and hopefully, they will step up in assisting passengers in rearranging air arrangements.  

we are on cruise leaving mar 1. So far there has been no change and the letter we received reiterated that the cruise has not changed. Others have called them to see about moving to a different cruise because of their concerns and the answer is no.

11 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Yes, you will have a fever gun pointed at you pretty much wherever you go in Asia I would suspect. And it’s hardly ridiculous.

I was talking about a person who suggested every Regent passenger get gunned every time they re-boarded the ship.  And Asia wasn't specified.

Of course, those N95 masks, they supposedly only last for 8 hours, then must be replaced.  They apparently may be able to be re-used, not sure what's up with that.

11 hours ago, seaknots said:

why? taiwan also has virus

I claim no expertise in this matter, nor am offering an opinion as to the wisdom.  The US State Department has issued a "Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution" for Hong Kong  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/hong-kong-travel-advisory.html, but as of now at least, Taiwan remains "Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions".

Also, American Airlines, (not sure about others) have cancelled flights to Hong Kong until Feb 20, beyond that, we don't know.

Here is what the various cruise lines are doing in this regard, at least for now https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5016/

21 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was talking about a person who suggested every Regent passenger get gunned every time they re-boarded the ship.  And Asia wasn't specified.

Of course, those N95 masks, they supposedly only last for 8 hours, then must be replaced.  They apparently may be able to be re-used, not sure what's up with that.

I think it’s a good idea everyone get gunned every time they reboard a ship, at least in Asia for the time being, especially if the disease continues to spread throughout the region.

Everyone’s  belongings get scanned in every port, why not a quick health check? It’s not going to be effective for infected asymptomatic passengers, but if someone is showing signs of infection, do you really want them wandering around the ship, spreading germs virtually everywhere, and no doubt passing on the disease, which might result in the entire ship being quarantined for a couple weeks in some port?

On 2/2/2020 at 6:22 PM, BarbarianPaul said:

Maybe I just don’t understand. So if you’re sick, and have a fever, you’d use ice cubes and a cold compress to fool the cruise line into thinking you’re in good health so you would be allowed on the ship. At which point you would probably infect a few hundred other passengers, and ruin the cruise for a good percentage of your fellow cruisers. 
Am I the only one not amused?

On 2/2/2020 at 6:22 PM, BarbarianPaul said:

Maybe I just don’t understand. So if you’re sick, and have a fever, you’d use ice cubes and a cold compress to fool the cruise line into thinking you’re in good health so you would be allowed on the ship. At which point you would probably infect a few hundred other passengers, and ruin the cruise for a good percentage of your fellow cruisers. 
Am I the only one not amused?

Te Hong Kong, Regent is scheduled 2 days in HK which means the passengers onboard are going on city tours etc. the city tours. Wise? I don’t  think so!! Taking a temperature doesn’t allow for 2 weeks incubation! 

Taiwan today announced that it will prevent all cruise ships that were in China, Hong Kong and Macau within the past 14 days from docking. That would affect the March 1 itinerary if it persists.

8 hours ago, bissel said:

Masks hinder you from unconsciously touching your face and mouth as much as you normally do.

They also prevent people (who wear them) with colds from sneezing and coughing at you.

Edited by Floridiana