Britain's biggest cruise operator is becoming 'Butlins on Sea', Which? survey finds (today's Telegraph)

Harry Peterson

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't see that P&O are any better or any worse than most other mainstream cruise lines. You get the same complaints about poor behaviour, dress code, rum runners etc  on the Carnival, Princess, NCL and other boards.  

Just implying that only P&O has disagreeable passengers is just wrong .

I neither said that nor implied it. In fact I did not mention any other companies as being any better or any worse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No mission. The story happened to get a lot of publicity yesterday, and I saw it in the Telegraph, to which I happen to subscribe. There's no way on this earth that any of the regulars on here will ever change their minds, but a bit of occasional balance might present a fairer picture to newcomers.

Oh dear Harry....

When we have bad experiences, I'm sure our opinion will change. 

It just feels like those of us who enjoy P&O need to defend them against your big stick and get criticised for being positive. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No mission. The story happened to get a lot of publicity yesterday, and I saw it in the Telegraph, to which I happen to subscribe. There's no way on this earth that any of the regulars on here will ever change their minds, but a bit of occasional balance might present a fairer picture to newcomers.

problem is that the new comers is that most have already booked and are now coming here for advise. 

I don’t get how p&o are not giving people a fair picture. 

Everyone gets terrible service at least once with some company in their lives, probably more but that doesn’t mean we have to keep repeating how terrible you think p&o are. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

The perks of the Peninsular Club are not huge - and you have to have an awful lot of recent days at sea with P&O to get to the top level. The benefits of a huge outlay seem not be be commensurate with how much money you have to spend to get the status. My opinion only of course, and others may disagree!

Long term customers have already spent that money and got the status.

The perks are not as good as some other lines but the percentage discount off the ships account is useful.

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry I have criticised P&O many times over one of their major failings which is service standards, and how they dont compare well with how the likes of RCI and Princess resolve problems, and Princess of course is also a Carnival brand.

But most of the other aspects of cruising are very similar amongst the major players, and yet you single out P&O to criticise.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not at all, Andy.  Nobody's asking you to change anything.  It's just the downright refusal by some to accept anything negative,  regardless of source, that amuses me. P&O is what it is - the trouble is that it's using a past reputation to sell itself, and that's probably the reason for the bad Which? review.

no one is refusing to accept that there are negatives about p&o. 

there are negatives to be found absolutely everywhere and in everyone. 

I don’t think anyone is saying that p&o are perfect. 

ive has issues and complaints with p&o myself. But for me it’s the way that companies deal with issues that shows. I am also getting what I paid for. 
i don’t think it’s a luxury line. I’ve gotten two weeks cruise for the same as I would have with the Disney line that I would be interested in but I’m comparing apples and oranges. 

same prices but I get 2 weeks p&o canaries compared with 5 nights with Disney. It’s not the same and not comparable. 

if I paid those prices I would expect a lot more than I do from p&o. 

you get what you pay for 

and as us plebs Can’t see the silly survey I don’t even know how they are comparing them. 

the more you pay the better your expectations 

12 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Everyone gets terrible service at least once with some company in their lives, probably more but that doesn’t mean we have to keep repeating how terrible you think p&o are. 

I have never said that. They’re not terrible, but they’re not remotely as good as they, and some customers, claim they are.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Long term customers have already spent that money and got the status.

The perks are not as good as some other lines but the percentage discount off the ships account is useful.

I never really took much notice of the discount, but a decent percentage off of already competetive drinks prices does make a difference. 

Andy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I never really took much notice of the discount, but a decent percentage off of already competetive drinks prices does make a difference. 

Andy 

Yes, it takes the drinks down to local pub prices and if you buy a bigger item in the shop it soon makes an positive impact.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have never said that. They’re not terrible, but they’re not remotely as good as they, and some customers, claim they are.

Harry, you are totally correct in what you did,  and we support you. 

You have good intentions and it is right that we should have the right to express our views, and not just expected to keep quiet if something is not right.

Like most of us, any criticisms are meant to be constructive and it is hoped that the cruise managers will pick them up, and try to improve on them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Of course Holland America got a lot worse publicity, as the second worst  cruise line in the survey. I will obviously therefore never consider cruising with them, and stick to better rated lines, such as P&O. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Of course Holland America got a lot worse publicity, as the second worst  cruise line in the survey. I will obviously therefore never consider cruising with them, and stick to better rated lines, such as P&O. 

None of the lines are perfect, even the ones that charge a lot more than P&O do.

Some get some things right and others focus on different aspects. At the end of the day we have to take the good with the less good and choose what suits us

Edited by Eglesbrech
Typo
  • Like 3

We are all getting a bit carried away here very little or anything at all is ever perfect and even more so if you go looking for it like some seem to have great pleasure in doing then you can always find fault in anything. If you dont like the product, whatever it is, then dont buy and go elsewhere.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Henry, the problem is the Which? Cruise survey is very far from being balanced as I have previously tried to demonstrate, but you seem intent on overlooking its inadequacies to justify your points - it was ‘genuine’ fake news. I am no P&O cheerleader, In 47 cruises I have only sailed with P&O once which was fine, not perfect - but overall met expectations.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Henry, the problem is the Which? Cruise survey is very far from being balanced as I have previously tried to demonstrate, but you seem intent on overlooking its inadequacies to justify your points - it was ‘genuine’ fake news. I am no P&O cheerleader, In 47 cruises I have only sailed with P&O once which was fine, not perfect - but overall met expectations.

It was posted to provoke these type of responses to which the answer to anybody who doubts it is always that we will defend P&O regardless, which is just not true.. 

Andy 

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

It was posted to provoke these type of responses to which the answer to anybody who doubts it is always that we will defend P&O regardless, which is just not true.. 

Andy 

Certainly not in my case!

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I just give up with these threads sometimes. 

I like p&o. Until they do something wrong and don’t fix it that’s when I will stop going. Although I might run out of itineraries too. 

on a happier note I have 67 days and I’m counting Down till I can step on board and not have to clean or cook! Yay 😁 

obviously the little things I love about cruising. 

holidays paid. Car park is paid. Got euros from last year. 

all I need to do is buy holiday clothes then I can start packing. 

Edited by Vampiress88
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don't claim they are as good as they were, but we are not paying as much as we were in real terms and they still suit us and many like us for various reasons. My point is why do you keep beating the same drum, everyone on here has made decision to stick with P&O for their own reason and don't need you keep repeating the same mantra over and over. If you don't want to cruise with P&O anymore, fair enough but why keep posting detrimental comments on here every chance you get. If I had had the problems with P&O that you have had I would just not cruise with them again.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I just give up with these threads sometimes. 

I like p&o. Until they do something wrong and don’t fix it that’s when I will stop going. Although I might run out of itineraries too. 

on a happier note I have 67 days and I’m counting Down till I can step on board and not have to clean or cook! Yay 😁 

obviously the little things I love about cruising. 

holidays paid. Car park is paid. Got euros from last year. 

all I need to do is buy holiday clothes then I can start packing. 

That's what it is all about, enjoying yourself, and if you can manage to do that on P&O despite how terrible they are, good for you. 

Have a great time, 

Andy 

10 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

My point is why do you keep beating the same drum, everyone on here has made decision to stick with P&O for their own reason and don't need you keep repeating the same mantra over and over. If you don't want to cruise with P&O anymore, fair enough but why keep posting detrimental comments on here every chance you get.

You maybe haven’t noticed, but most people in this forum, including you, keep beating the same drum.  Views don’t change.  But it’s important for new potential cruisers to see at least some sense of balance before deciding who to book with, and I’m surprised so many people want to see anything remotely negative suppressed.

This is a discussion forum.  There are differing views.  If you can’t accept that, I’m sorry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

You maybe haven’t noticed, but most people in this forum, including you, keep beating the same drum.  Views don’t change.  But it’s important for new potential cruisers to see at least some sense of balance before deciding who to book with, and I’m surprised so many people want to see anything remotely negative suppressed.

This is a discussion forum.  There are differing views.  If you can’t accept that, I’m sorry.

Good luck with your quest,  🎼No matter how hopeless, no matter how far!🎼