Britain's biggest cruise operator is becoming 'Butlins on Sea', Which? survey finds (today's Telegraph)

Harry Peterson

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You maybe haven’t noticed, but most people in this forum, including you, keep beating the same drum.  Views don’t change.  But it’s important for new potential cruisers to see at least some sense of balance before deciding who to book with, and I’m surprised so many people want to see anything remotely negative suppressed.

This is a discussion forum.  There are differing views.  If you can’t accept that, I’m sorry.

No Harry we are sorry, most of us recognise P&Os failings but we have balanced this against lots of other factors. We dont need you, or anyone else, continually highlighting  their various faults  when in the majority of cases these faults can equally be found in most other cruise lines, like wage rates, pollution issues, food quality etc.

You seem to be undertaking a one man crusade to persuade us to change our minds, because you believe you are right and we are wrong.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You maybe haven’t noticed, but most people in this forum, including you, keep beating the same drum.  Views don’t change.  But it’s important for new potential cruisers to see at least some sense of balance before deciding who to book with, and I’m surprised so many people want to see anything remotely negative suppressed.

This is a discussion forum.  There are differing views.  If you can’t accept that, I’m sorry.

Why should we comply if its not our findings? 

As you say, it's a discussion forum, you give your opinion, I give mine. 

Do you expect me to give a different view apart from my honest one? 

The problem is, it becomes tit for tat. 

Thank you for your opinion Harry. 

Andy 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No Harry we are sorry, most of us recognise P&Os failings but we have balanced this against lots of other factors. We dont need you, or anyone else, continually highlighting  their various faults  when in the majority of cases these faults can equally be found in most other cruise lines, like wage rates, pollution issues, food quality etc.

You seem to be undertaking a one man crusade to persuade us to change our minds, because you believe you are right and we are wrong.

Well put. We have three further cruises booked with P&O.  Would I prefer to travel with Princess or Celebrity, or better still Viking, yes of course I would. Will everything be to  my liking on P&O ? Probably not.  Will P&O be as good as it was 10  years ago? I have no idea.

But, I expect to get,  and I have yet to be disappointed, a cruise that will represent value for money.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Why should we comply if its not our findings? 

As you say, it's a discussion forum, you give your opinion, I give mine. 

Do you expect me to give a different view apart from my honest one? 

The problem is, it becomes tit for tat. 

Thank you for your opinion Harry. 

Andy 

Comply with what, Andy?  I've never asked anyone to comply with anything!  Everyone's obviously entitled to express their own views - though I'm the only one constantly attacked for doing so (not by you, of course)!  I can live with that.  😎

I can't comment about experience of a P&O cruise as my first cruise hasn't happened yet, but as for telling new cruisers the pros and cons so that have more knowledge before they book, I maybe the exception to the rule but I didn't discover this site until after boking my cruise.

That's not to say that I didn't research before booking, I seemed to have been researching  for years. Other than taking note of friends and families experiences of various cruise lines I watched YouTube videos and vlogs and read traveller blogs.

So for me it's too late to be swayed by comments either way because it's already booked. Had I read this site for 6 months before booking I may never have booked anything at all 🤣

Fortunately my husband and I can generally find the positive rather than the negative in most situations and I'm sure we will enjoy our holiday, then take stock before choosing the next one.

Vampiress88, enjoy getting ready for your cruise! 5 months until mine and I've started buying clothes already, went out this morning 'to browse' and managed to buy a lightweight puffer jacket, perfect for early mornings on the balcony sailing through the fjords 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Comply with what, Andy?  I've never asked anyone to comply with anything!  Everyone's obviously entitled to express their own views - though I'm the only one constantly attacked for doing so (not by you, of course)!  I can live with that.  😎

You do seem to come in for more than your fair share of flack Harry but I’m sure you have broad shoulders. Me thinks there is a touch of the devils advocate😈.

This is a discussion forum so posting a topic with a new survey which has made the newspapers is perfectly legitimate in my view. Whether people agree with the finding or not is another matter. This is the busiest thread on here at the moment so at least it is providing a topic for discussion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I can't comment about experience of a P&O cruise as my first cruise hasn't happened yet, but as for telling new cruisers the pros and cons so that have more knowledge before they book, I maybe the exception to the rule but I didn't discover this site until after boking my cruise.

That's not to say that I didn't research before booking, I seemed to have been researching  for years. Other than taking note of friends and families experiences of various cruise lines I watched YouTube videos and vlogs and read traveller blogs.

So for me it's too late to be swayed by comments either way because it's already booked. Had I read this site for 6 months before booking I may never have booked anything at all 🤣

Fortunately my husband and I can generally find the positive rather than the negative in most situations and I'm sure we will enjoy our holiday, then take stock before choosing the next one.

Vampiress88, enjoy getting ready for your cruise! 5 months until mine and I've started buying clothes already, went out this morning 'to browse' and managed to buy a lightweight puffer jacket, perfect for early mornings on the balcony sailing through the fjords 

You will have a thoroughly enjoyable cruise, in spite of the niggles P&O still provide a good holiday.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

oooh your doing fjords. Looks awesome. We’re doing that one next year. 
I managed to get a dress! I now own two. Literally never wear dresses but I didn’t think I could get away with the same dress for three formal nights. Too much washing. 

You aren’t the exception at all cos I did the same as you. Booked then was told about this site two weeks later. And we’d already been on p&o years go and still didn’t know about this site. 

just take everything with a pinch of salt. I think fault can be found in anything. 

a lot of us seem to like a debate. I think we’re all slightly bored. I know I am stuck at home poorly without the kids. Least this thread has been a source of amusement rather than knowledge. 

is it your first cruise? 

Despite the slight tit for tat here, these boards and it’s members are really knowledgeable on the ships, ports and all things p&o. Ask any questions cos there’s always someone who will know the answer. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Had I read this site for 6 months before booking I may never have booked anything at all 🤣

Sarah - I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you read the threads for the other cruise lines you will find exactly the same complaints there as well - chair hogs, bad lift etiquette,  declining standards of food and service etc. You would never book a cruise with anyone No different to reviews  you will get about airports, flights, hotelsetc. The nature of people is always to complain rather than praise.

The other thing to remember that the number of posters on this thread is minute in relation to more popular sites, so is not really representative of cruisers as a whole. However, posters here tend to be well travelled, and as you've probably realised, the  majority believe that P&O offer a value for money cruise.

So, go with an open mind and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

a lot of us seem to like a debate. I think we’re all slightly bored. I know I am stuck at home poorly without the kids. Least this thread has been a source of amusement rather than knowledge. 

I’m currently snowed in. We had a heavy fall last night and the roads are horrendous so a day at home, as you say bored and like a good debate.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m currently snowed in. We had a heavy fall last night and the roads are horrendous so a day at home, as you say bored and like a good debate.

snow! ️ 

you must be up high. I’m in the middle and it’s not even raining which is usually surprisingly. How much you wanna bet the minute I have to stand outside the school gates it starts belting it down. 

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

snow! ️ 

you must be up high. I’m in the middle and it’s not even raining which is usually surprisingly. How much you wanna bet the minute I have to stand outside the school gates it starts belting it down. 

Im about 5 hours north of you and several areas of Scotland has been pelted with snow overnight.

Ironically enough the road to the ski slopes is closed because of the snow!

21 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

oooh your doing fjords. Looks awesome. We’re doing that one next year. 
I managed to get a dress! I now own two. Literally never wear dresses but I didn’t think I could get away with the same dress for three formal nights. Too much washing. 

You aren’t the exception at all cos I did the same as you. Booked then was told about this site two weeks later. And we’d already been on p&o years go and still didn’t know about this site. 

just take everything with a pinch of salt. I think fault can be found in anything. 

is it your first cruise? 

Despite the slight tit for tat here, these boards and it’s members are really knowledgeable on the ships, ports and all things p&o. Ask any questions cos there’s always someone who will know the answer. 

Yes first cruise for us, very excited, counting down the days. Our daughter sailed to Norway on Britannia last year and loved the whole experience. My parents are going with us, they've cruised with Cunard and Princess before but the now have 2 P & O cruises booked.

I am lucky that I came to cruising late after spending the last 30odd years holidaying around various parts of the world,my expectations by and large been met on the cruises we have taken so far to the point we have two more booked this year with P&O.

we are very lucky in the fact we never knew the golden years mentioned on here the cheese wheels the almost reverential treatment from the staff etc,but what we have found is decent food decent entertainment and up to yet decent company on ship plus at a reasonable cost.

the biggest problem is if you say something is bad continuously those who come on here for advice and read it gets the wrong impression,there is nothing perfect in this world neither is p&o as some make out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sarah - I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you read the threads for the other cruise lines you will find exactly the same complaints there as well - chair hogs, bad lift etiquette,  declining standards of food and service etc. You would never book a cruise with anyone No different to reviews  you will get about airports, flights, hotelsetc. The nature of people is always to complain rather than praise.

The other thing to remember that the number of posters on this thread is minute in relation to more popular sites, so is not really representative of cruisers as a whole. However, posters here tend to be well travelled, and as you've probably realised, the  majority believe that P&O offer a value for money cruise.

So, go with an open mind and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

Thank you, I'm sure we will have a great time. I've been wanting to cruise since I was a teenager and I'm early 50's now so it's been a long time coming.

11 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you, I'm sure we will have a great time. I've been wanting to cruise since I was a teenager and I'm early 50's now so it's been a long time coming.

I’m sure you’ll love it 

beware it becomes very addictive 

like you can see others already have one or more cruises lined up. 

id like to try and do all the family ships if I can. 

it’s a bit of a mixed bag in that some prefer other ships within p&o and others prefer certain itineraries. There will always be little niggles with any holiday you have, unfortunately not everything can be perfect but it’s a damn good bang for your buck in my opinion anyway 

4 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I expect you will love the cruise - of course people have different expectations - and sometimes as time passes expectations have to change as society and it's desires change, as well as the hard economic lessons of running a cruise business. Of course if people experienced cruises when they were different and came to like the way everything operated on those cruises, and as times passed the experience, the service and the facilities on the later cruises changed, then everyone in that situation has to decide for themselves whether they will still enjoy the cruise even though it is different from what they liked previously, or they can stop taking that kind of holiday, or a third option is to continue going on those cruises and moan about it on forums like this!

In our case our prime enjoyment is ballroom dancing, so we go on a holiday where we can dance every night, but in addition what completes the enjoyment is the combined experience of a lovely dining room for nice meals, the deck life and swimming, as well as the social connection with others on board, and also the varied ports of call where we have had some fabulous excursions over the years. That latter is one area that we feel is still the case that P&O's excursions are often much better than Cunard's, and also at a lower cost. Again doing your own excursion is sometimes what we do, but at other times we take an organised trip - and we have had lovely times - with a sufficiently wide range of trip options to satisfy most people.

I do hope that there will remain sufficient variation in the kinds of cruise available that it will allow most options to be available in one cruise line or another to satisfy a wide range of tastes, so that we can all enjoy cruises, whether or not you are a dancer, and whether or not you like formal nights.  At present you can go on a cruise where both can be satisfied, but if not there are plenty of other cruise lines where you can avoid dancing, and avoid having to dress up if you don't want to.  The question here is whether P&O will continue to offer an on board atmosphere where there is a formal night, good food in the MDR but with the option of doing it yourself in the buffet but still with nice food available, and still offer ballroom dancing. If not then we will stick with those cruise lines that do - and in the end we may be only able to do the things we want on a land based ballroom dancing holiday, of which there are increasing options becoming available now both at home and overseas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Enjoy your cruise Sarah, don't worry about the comments on here, most of us have had some brilliant cruises and some not so good but for us our bad ones have never so bad that we have stopped cruising.  P&O is like everything else in life, it has its good points and it's bad ones.  Those of us who can look back see that things are different than they used to be but we still keep going with P&O,  I have been with Canard, Princess and Celebrity and none of them are perfect either.

Last year on Ventura we bumped into someone whom my husband has known since primary school, it was his 1st cruise and because he had nothing to compare it with he thought it was fantastic.  We met up with him and his wife just before Christmas and they are still raving about their  "fantastic" cruise which we had not thought was anything special.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Yes first cruise for us, very excited, counting down the days. Our daughter sailed to Norway on Britannia last year and loved the whole experience. My parents are going with us, they've cruised with Cunard and Princess before but the now have 2 P & O cruises booked.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, the Fjords are beautiful. I would get all you can from the forum, there are some very knowledgable people on here and will give you all the advise they can. For all that has been said in this thread, you will have a great holiday and be coming back for more, cruising can be addictive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Long term customers have already spent that money and got the status.

The perks are not as good as some other lines but the percentage discount off the ships account is useful.

It would be even better if our 8.5% discount came off everything rather than the balance after we have used up our OBC.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We are all getting a bit carried away here very little or anything at all is ever perfect and even more so if you go looking for it like some seem to have great pleasure in doing then you can always find fault in anything. If you dont like the product, whatever it is, then dont buy and go elsewhere.

Well said.