Safety and the Solo Cruiser (Female)

SteadyBetty

On 1/27/2020 at 9:22 AM, SteadyBetty said:

She, herself, said she brings men clothing/shoes for the cabin to appear she is not traveling alone.  She has decorated her cabin door with his/hers names and even a pic of a couple.  When getting a bar drink, she makes small talk to the bartender that her husband will be along shortly to order his drink.

She must think of herself as a real  hottie! 😂

I seriously doubt if any of the crew or staff would ever bother her. Men's clothes and couple pictures is definitely odd.

2 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

She must think of herself as a real  hottie! 😂

I seriously doubt if any of the crew or staff would ever bother her.

So dismissive!

Maybe instead of thinking herself a real hottie, she thinks of herself as a traumatized survivor of rape, or the nervous friend of someone who was assaulted on a cruise ship.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, there are still assaults whether on land or sea that are never reported. So it is OK to be overly cautious or peculiar if it helps someone feel comfortable traveling as a solo! When not cruising solo, I liked having a magnetic photo on our cabin door....but a few times someone moved it to a different door!! There used to be a cruise critic template to copy onto a magnetic page and then fellow cruisers who had been posting could find each other. Amusing when walking down those long hallways! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another solo female cruiser here! I think the OP's friend is a little much, I've never had issues with being hit on by the crew or staff, and if it happens, a firm no suffices. If it doesn't suffice, report it to Guest Services and see whether you ever see that steward again.

I pay more attention to that sort of thing in port. I try to tour with other people, and I have my mother's wedding and engagement ring, and wear those when I go ashore. Believe it or not, a wedding ring visible makes lots of guys back off. I also watch my drink and do not leave it unattended for any reason, and get a new one if I have to.

I’ve been travelling solo since I was a teenager, I do my research for new places and try to learn some basic phrases in whatever language applies for the destination. I did attend college when the whole date rape drug thing first became known so I do tend to be paranoid about protecting my drinks and I generally stop drinking at midnight. That was a habit formed at college when I would drink at the bar but switched to water at the nightclubs,

People will have different habits depending on their experience and levels of confidence, I’m pretty sure I can take care of myself (had some self defence classes as a teen) and I understand an awful lot more of other languages than I can necessarily speak. 
I regularly run into people when I’m travelling that are astounded that I travel alone, but I’ve learned over the years which travel I feel comfortable with and which I don’t. I spent 9 years researching cruises before I finally booked my first and as a solo, prior to that I always traveled to specific sports events if it wasn’t business travel or a family holiday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I took a travel door alarm when my friend and I went on a two week cruise + land trip.  Just peace of mind, and better sleeping at night, too.  Amazon, $11, weighs 2 oz.

• Like 1

Only problem shipboard was a longtime waiter on Celebrity who called all the ladies at our singles table and asked them for sex. I was at alternative restaurant by myself that night and previously gave him a dirty look when he said" nice to see you back."  They turned him in and he was put off ship at next port.       Real problems come ashore. Never take any more $ than you need for that day.  Paris, Rome and London worst pickpocket cities .esp. on trains and subways. I wear a moneybelt under my clothes with zipper facing skin; They love backpacks, I rarely wear one reversed with zippers also facing skin.              No   bars for me either.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:37 PM, pootsien2 said:

There used to be a cruise critic template to copy onto a magnetic page and then fellow cruisers who had been posting could find each other. Amusing when walking down those long hallways! 

Hi, neighbor (I'm in Everett).  Anyway, I still have mine and use it each cruise.

CC Sign.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't pay attention to the start date of this thread when I first started reading it, so I have "liked" some posts that are over a year old.  😁  

I too have travelled solo on a number of cruises, and I feel very comfortable.  I enjoy going to the various bars and having a cocktail (or two) and the main person I converse with is the bartender.  I am always aware of my surroundings and never leave a drink unattended. 

I have made several "life long" friends (solo and couples) during cruising and for me it is the best way to travel.  I usually add 4 or 5 days to the start and/or end of the cruise to explore a new location.  I have been to countries I never thought I would visit.   Can't wait to get back to cruising!

Edited by taznremmy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Av8rix said:

Hi, neighbor (I'm in Everett).  Anyway, I still have mine and use it each cruise.

CC Sign.jpg

Hi neighbor, I work in Everett!

It was so lovely to have Paine Field in operation in time for my cruise out of LA. Sure beats the long trek down to SeaTac.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am now traveling solo as my husband passed away in 2019.  We both loved cruising so I am doing that by myself.  I cruised just before the pandemic hit and never felt unsafe being by myself.  I have a couple of long bus trip/cruise trips over the next 2 years and look forward to being able to do my own thing and not have to be on a schedule.  I wouldn't leave a drink unattended even in my home town.  I am aware of my surroundings and would hope not to fall into any trouble being on my own.  I always do a door sign when I cruise and I like seeing what people have come up with on their door signs.  With all the extra cleaning precautions now I would think they might not be allowed anymore.

Edited by cormike1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies - It has been my experience whether it is a crew member or guest that acts inappropriate the cruise line is quick to deal with the matter. There are cameras all over the public areas and crew members who will get security if needed. You should feel very safe onboard. On shore could be another story even if alone on shore stay in areas that have a lot of people

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 10:02 AM, PerfectlyPerth said:

I guess because it just seems so immature to me. To each their own I guess. 

Immature or senile In hospital for very old people , they put a flower, a plane, a boat, a trompett on the door ......I travel alone , on the road always stop close a chop , on train. or ship a secure pocket ,  in a big city , my phone and keys never in my bag but in pocket is a mania , but never scare 

• Like 1