All things being equal, which cruise would you rather go on?

yoolykeme

well I would say do a Spring Greece cruise and then a later in summer Baltic(the days are longer).

And go out of Amsterdam if you can as Copenhagen airport is annoying.

I am doing this very thing myself this year.  Greece and the whole Med can get HOT around July - Sept.

Normally I would say Greece/Turkey, but this particular itinerary doesn't visit enough ports that interest me, so I'd keep looking.

But which itinerary looks best to YOU ? You're the one taking the trip. Which ports look most appealing and support your interests and priorities ?

We haven't been to Europe at all (yet), but I'm still going to chime in with my thoughts cuz you asked! :D I'd do.... EITHER! Ha! I know, not helpful, huh? But it's apples and oranges! I will say this... I looked at WHEN you could go, and the 9 Day Scandinavia one had multiple dates whereas the Greece/Turkey had just the one, and they weren't exactly close in dates. Maybe that doesn't matter to you? Does the ship matter to you? 9 day is on the Escape & 10 day is the Star. Different class of ships. Either of those itineraries looks absolutely wonderful! Good luck making a decision! Just book one now and put the other one on your list for later. ;-)   

So, I'm looking to do either in the fall, like mid-October.

The Baltic itinerary is interesting, since I don't know that I would go to any of those countries independently.  Greece and Turkey are central and transportation hubs, so it would be easy to  book to go there.

My issue with the Baltic itinerary is that there seem to be a lot of hoops.  Need a visa or visa-free tour to see SPB, can't stay overnight at a hotel without a visa.  In Berlin and Stockholm, there are commutes from the port to the city center.

When? And how many of you? Any kids?

We're on the 15 days Ultimate Baltics on the Jade June 27-July 12. The Jade is smaller than the Escape (which can go up to 5000+ pax) which is the real reason we are going on the Jade (max 2400 pax).  Also the Ultimate one has a few more ports of call.

The 10-day Greece and Turkey itinerary looks really good - several new ports! We loved the Greek Isles. Now that I've seen that itinerary I'm very intrigued about booking it!! November is perfect: warm if not slightly cool, end of season - off season, less crowds, no kids (schools are in).

Just now, bluesea777 said:

When? And how many of you? Any kids?

We're on the 15 days Ultimate Baltics on the Jade June 27-July 12. The Jade is smaller than the Escape (which can go up to 5000+ pax) which is the real reason we are going on the Jade (max 2400 pax).  Also the Ultimate one has a few more ports of call.

The 10-day Greece and Turkey itinerary looks really good - several new ports! We loved the Greek Isles. Now that I've seen that itinerary I'm very intrigued about booking it!! November is perfect: warm if not slightly cool, end of season - off season, less crowds, no kids (schools are in).

Just my Mom and me.  I'm like 40, and she will be 80, but I got her to trek up the Acropolis and down the Sagrada Familia, so she's game 😉

I've never considered comparing the ships, but I guess that's something too.  Greece will be warmer than Russia at that time, too.

The sail out of Stockholm is very pretty, Tallin is great, St Petersburg tours are intense, Berlin is a long way from the port (3.5hrs) and I wouldn't want to go in October.

Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes & Istanbul are all very very nice ports again I don't think I would want to go in October the weather can be very hit and miss.

I've done both and would give the edge to the Baltic although Greece itself is great ..... When we were in Kusadasi years ago I felt very safe. I stood out like a sore thumb at 6'7" walking the streets of Istanbul and had a very unnerving watch my six kind of feeling the whole time. It's the only place I've ever been a bit uncomfortable with my safety. 

2 hours ago, yoolykeme said:

The Baltic itinerary is interesting, since I don't know that I would go to any of those countries independently.  Greece and Turkey are central and transportation hubs, so it would be easy to  book to go there.

My issue with the Baltic itinerary is that there seem to be a lot of hoops.  Need a visa or visa-free tour to see SPB, can't stay overnight at a hotel without a visa.  In Berlin and Stockholm, there are commutes from the port to the city center.

We visited Baltic ports on a Viking cruise 2 summers ago. Viking arranged for the visa...no problem. Our tours were booked through Viking, so no problems there. And, why do you need a hotel in St. Petersburg?? You have your cabin on the ship! It was a great cruise!

On 1/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, yoolykeme said:

You should check the Dates and Pricing tab on the link you attached, as neither is mid-October. 

I'd pick Greece/Turkey because outside of a cruise, I'd never convince my husband to vacation there. I'd rather stay longer in many of the countries on the other itinerary, as would he.

I'd also consider the difference in the ships, if I were you. If you have mobility issues, the Star is smaller to navigate. If you want nightlife or relaxing spaces to read, I personally like the Escape much better for those things. I also like the fee based restaurants available on the Escape better than those on the Star. All depends on what's important to you and how much time you'll actually spend on the ship.

For mid-October I would definitely choose Greece-Turkey. The weather can suck there too and it won’t be very warm (no bikini weather or shorts/t-shirts, instead plan for a light weight jacket and long pants) but the weather can be still relatively nice for sightseeing. 

However Scandinavia/Baltics/Russia in mid October.... Cold, damp, rainy, possibly windy. You should do that one between June - very early September. 

If I needed to choose for mid October it would be hands down the Greece -Turkey one. But I would investigate my schedule very hard and try to see if I could change my trip for a more pleasant month as really October is not a very good time for either of those itinenaries anymore. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl