Good time to buy Carnival shares for the perks? And cheap cruises?

Harry Peterson

I'm registered with iWeb sharedealing online. I think it currently costs £25 to join then £5 per transaction. There may be cheaper ways of buying but I find the iWeb Share dealing site easy to buy and sell shares 

1 hour ago, L751 said:

Hi, interested in purchasing the shares, how do you go about it newbie

see this link

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/PO/before-you-sail/more-info-share-holder

also Hargreaves Lansdown  is a popular company, many  in UK use. Were you just do a pdf of your on line statement with account number crossed out and email to Carnival with the revelant details they request.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares

3 hours ago, Red Ray said:

Bought 100 last week at £8.29. No intention of selling them so obviously a gamble if Carnival go belly up. If they don't then we will enjoy the small perks being shareholders bring.

We are thinking that share benefit could be a thing of the past for a while.  They were not giving it after the 2008 crash if I remember correctly.

51 minutes ago, BrianI said:

We did get it in 2008. It was the dividend that was cut to zero.

Brian

I would imagine that will apply this time as well, dividends cost them cash, OBC costs them very little  especially if it encourages bookings and happy cruisers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pennbank said:

see this link

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/PO/before-you-sail/more-info-share-holder

also Hargreaves Lansdown  is a popular company, many  in UK use. Were you just do a pdf of your on line statement with account number crossed out and email to Carnival with the revelant details they request.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares

We used Hargreaves Lansdown

Must like risks. Bought 100 many years ago at 30 pounds per share and have held them. Loaned my daughter who has just discovered  cruising 650 pounds last week to buy another 100. I can't see any dividend for at least two years, but if Carnival survives so will, I suspect the obc.

Would it be considered prudent, when things get back to normal, for a company to be handing out perks to shareholders, no matter how little. I agree the divi would go, but I also think the OBC if it doesn't go, to be reduced by a considerable amount. If all the cruise lines survive , without government bailouts etc I would imagine they would be fairly strapped for cash, and the OBC perk for shareholders I wouldn't think brings in a lot of bookings. Maybe the one you get for booking select fares will stay ( i think people will be very wary of booking too far in advance in the future).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the english lady said:

Would it be considered prudent, when things get back to normal, for a company to be handing out perks to shareholders, no matter how little. I agree the divi would go, but I also think the OBC if it doesn't go, to be reduced by a considerable amount. If all the cruise lines survive , without government bailouts etc I would imagine they would be fairly strapped for cash, and the OBC perk for shareholders I wouldn't think brings in a lot of bookings. Maybe the one you get for booking select fares will stay ( i think people will be very wary of booking too far in advance in the future).

I would disagree.  The OBC for shareholders costs them very little in reality.  The cost price of what you can get using it is a very small percentage of the selling price.  Shareholding promotes loyality, reduce the avantages then people have other options.  The main reason any company is in business is to make money for their owner (shareholders).  That is their purpose.  In Carnivals case they do that by selling cruises to the public for as much profit as they can.

45 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

In Carnivals case they do that by selling cruises to the public for as much profit as they can.

As we always thought and was confirmed by a senior officer responsible for gaining revenue on the ship, "The large ships do not make money on their sale of cruises".  She then went on to say the profits are made with the on board spending that can be generated - hence all the "spending opportunities" that are becoming more and more prevalent on the ships.

I do agree they will be looking for anything that will increase their revenue and gain future bookings though, especially after this.  

34 minutes ago, tring said:

As we always thought and was confirmed by a senior officer responsible for gaining revenue on the ship, "The large ships do not make money on their sale of cruises".  She then went on to say the profits are made with the on board spending that can be generated - hence all the "spending opportunities" that are becoming more and more prevalent on the ships.

I do agree they will be looking for anything that will increase their revenue and gain future bookings though, especially after this.  

I seem to recall a comment that 25% of cruise revenue came from onboard spending.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I seem to recall a comment that 25% of cruise revenue came from onboard spending.

Revenue $20,825

Ticket     $14,104

Onboard $ 6,331

Tour         $    390

Onboard spend was 30.5% of revenue last year.  The year on year increase in onboard spend was 35% whilst ticket revenue was flat. 

12 hours ago, the english lady said:

Shareholder OBC remains unchanged through to July 2021. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo

11 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Yes I know I am talking about what is decided at the next agm. I think you had to book a cruise by a certain date to get the current rates. Whatever is decided will come into effect effect after the date you mention.

No, the current shareholder OBC was originally agreed to July this year. Today, they've agreed that it'll extend to July 2021.