Good time to buy Carnival shares for the perks? And cheap cruises?

Harry Peterson

Sorry can I just check, I have been looking at this and thought I had to buy carnival corp stock in USA but im reading here I can buy Carnival PLC stock in UK, is that right?

Is the shareholder benefit still available as there seems to be confirmation on here it is until 2021 but I can find no reference to it on P&O anymore.  As have 2 cruises booked it would be worth it for me atm 

33 minutes ago, seb530 said:

Sorry can I just check, I have been looking at this and thought I had to buy carnival corp stock in USA but im reading here I can buy Carnival PLC stock in UK, is that right?

Is the shareholder benefit still available as there seems to be confirmation on here it is until 2021 but I can find no reference to it on P&O anymore.  As have 2 cruises booked it would be worth it for me atm 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

Yes that's what it says so would expect them to add this to your obc if you had 100 shares .I have 100 through equinti and is registered at carnival in Southampton and I just email them to add to my sailings once paid balance never failed so far fingers crossed 

49 minutes ago, seb530 said:

Yes that’s right. Carnival PLC is the one to go for as its quoted in sterling on the London stock exchange so you don’t have worries about exchange rates. 
Dividends (when they resume) are automatically converted to sterling. The price right now is £7.28. You need 100 shares to claim the shareholder credit. 

More info here

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.miscellaneous.Where-can-I-find-more-information-about-shareholder-benefits.summary

Brian

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not an expert

Indeed...

On 1/31/2020 at 12:35 PM, wowzz said:

Whilst the shares are tanking at the moment, over the long term I would expect them to recover to at least the £40 or so mark.

They’ve just dipped below £7 again...

10 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Indeed...

They’ve just dipped below £7 again...

I know you like to have a pop, but in all honesty, did you expect the shares to fall to £7 in 2 months? If you did, I assume you will have made a fortune.

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not an expert, but basically Carnival are borrowing masses of money to help them get over the current situation. They will need to repay the debt and interest, therefore their profits will reduce. The longer the moratorium on cruising continues, the more of the borrowed money they will spend, and eventually they will run out of cash.

Hopefully someone more expert than me will give a more detailed answer.

Thank you I appreciate your response 

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know you like to have a pop, but in all honesty, did you expect the shares to fall to £7 in 2 months? If you did, I assume you will have made a fortune.

No of course not but at the same time I was advising caution you were suggesting they were a bargain. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:18 AM, funinhounslow said:

If you buy Carnival shares now you're a braver man than me!

And buying any company's shares for the "perks" is a mug's game...

On 1/31/2020 at 1:35 PM, wowzz said:

Sure, the flu panic is causing a short term share price fall, but the business is basically sound, and over a 10 to 15  year time scale the shares are a good long term buy, especially at the current price. Obviously, just my opinion- we'll see if I am right in 2035!

3 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

No of course not but at the same time I was advising caution you were suggesting they were a bargain. 

I guess we should see what the share price is in 2035.

I'm not sure I ever said the shares were a bargain, but if you want to go through all my posts, knock yourself out.

• Like 1

I think even at today's lowly price you would have to be a brave person who buys shares with all the borrowing at a high interest rate of 11.5% and using ships as collateral leaves Carnival in a very precarious position of survival.

52 minutes ago, picsa said:

Closed at 605 down 22% on the day.

If it keeps going at this rate then bye bye Carnival.

Hope they survive, at least til after my August Iona cruise. Really looking forward to that one. Gary Barlow will be onboard.😪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, picsa said:

Closed at 605 down 22% on the day.

If it keeps going at this rate then bye bye Carnival.

All the time that lenders are happy to lend, there is no real issue. Credit rating was downgraded as more debt was taken on - fair reflection. Shares dropped as investors saw short term returns evaporate / be downgraded.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

All the time that lenders are happy to lend, there is no real issue. Credit rating was downgraded as more debt was taken on - fair reflection. Shares dropped as investors saw short term returns evaporate / be downgraded.

Someone with some common sense at last. 

I took a gamble on £900 worth a couple of weeks back (ended up with 110 shares),  not too fussed about the price short term as i'm expecting a strong 2021 with everyone itching to get on holiday after being cooped up for so long plus all the 2020 bookings that have been re-scheduled. 

I'm also expecting the government to bring in legislation saying that travel companies don't have to give cash refunds as long as they offer an alternative which will ease cash flow worries.

Edited by Francisdrake

16 minutes ago, Francisdrake said:

I took a gamble on £900 worth a couple of weeks back (ended up with 110 shares),  not too fussed about the price short term as i'm expecting a strong 2021 with everyone itching to get on holiday after being cooped up for so long plus all the 2020 bookings that have been re-scheduled. 

I'm also expecting the government to bring in legislation saying that travel companies don't have to give cash refunds as long as they offer an alternative which will ease cash flow worries.

The only issue is that what the UK  Government decides,  is of little significance to Carnival Corporation as a whole.

Trump is not going out of his way to help the cruise industry, and why should he?

But £900 is not a great sum , and as things turn around, it could be a good bet. But who knows? 

On 4/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, zap99 said:

Hope they survive, at least til after my August Iona cruise. Really looking forward to that one. Gary Barlow will be onboard.😪

Which August? This year or next year!

Interesting article and documentary about Carnival, focussing among other things on how they have bounced back from previous crises, and how they are in better shape than their competitors.

However “it’s different this time” and cruise lines are excluded from US govt support...Well worth a watch...

https://apple.news/AESmnltqGRMavDw0qPjUGFg