Least busy time to dine

SanderBelgium

We are sailing Northern Europe on Reflection this summer and are travelling together with my wife’s parents.

I have read that diner on Reflection can be quit hectic sometime. My MIL has suffered a stroke and has difficulties standing for too long in crowded places.
We will be dining in the MDR most of the time and don’t mind dining at set times, but would prefer to be seated together at a table for 4. I was told that anytime' dining normally has longer queues than traditional dining. 
Could you advise us what would be the best thing to do? Is it possible to request a table for (only) 4 when dining traditional' at set times? If we choose ‘anytime’ dining, would you recommend we show up early at 6 every day, or is this a busy time?
Thanks for your advice!

Dining times on european cruises tend to be later than on american ones.  I would have thought you would be better dining at 6 than at 8.  I've no experience of fixed dining so can't comment on the availability of a table for 4; but if it isn't available I would suggest speaking to X either in advance or immeidately on arrival and explain the need to be able to get straight in to dine without waiting.  I'm sure they would be able to do something to accomodate your MIL.  But if not, you would always find her somewhere to sit, que for her and then go get her when it is the right time.  The last time I was on reflection people were being given buzzer things and sent off to sit in a bar rather than queue if it was very busy. 

Dining times on european cruises tend to be later than on american ones.  I would have thought you would be better dining at 6 than at 8.  I've no experience of fixed dining so can't comment on the availability of a table for 4; but if it isn't available I would suggest speaking to X either in advance or immeidately on arrival and explain the need to be able to get straight in to dine without waiting.  I'm sure they would be able to do something to accomodate your MIL.  But if not, you would always find her somewhere to sit, que for her and then go get her when it is the right time.  The last time I was on reflection people were being given buzzer things and sent off to sit in a bar rather than queue if it was very busy. 

If you are happy to dine at 5.30/6.00 pm every night and want to ensure you walk straight to your table with no wait then request set early dining and a table for four. If you arrive at about five minutes after start time any guests waiting will have gone through and your MIL will be able to walk straight to your table. On boarding head to the dining room and look for your table. If it is bigger than a four, miles from the entrance, next to a clearing station or has any other issues then speak to the M’D who will be at a podium at the entrance ready to deal with guests such as yourselves. He may not be able to change for that night but will probably be able to for the next. 

Select dining really suits guests who want flexibility in dining...different times, at a time other than the set one, sometimes as a couple, sometimes with others. 

If you haven’t already you may also want to contact Special Needs at Celebrity explaining that your MIL has some health issues. They will arrange wheelchair transport on and off the ship (strongly recommend as there can sometimes be queues and waiting). 

Hope you have a fantastic cruise! Remember once on board if your MIL needs any extra assistance just ask an appropriate member of staff.

• Thanks 1

We have had no problem obtaining a table for four both at fixed early or late dining and select dining.  As others say, If choosing fixed dining,  request a table for 4 in advance. Also, if there are any issues with location at all, speak to the M'D.  My instinct is that there may be better availability at early seating (before 7 pm) but this can and does vary from cruise to cruise.  

Would add that quite a number of two tops are very close together, so in effect you could have a table for four!

For Select Dining..early was best on EDGE.  No crowds, quieter,  nice tables selection, best service. Plenty of time to have a meal and get to the early show.

But not everyone like early meal times.

It will really depend on your particular cruise but generally the least busy times are right when they open or just before they close.    We are late diners and usually go at 9:00 PM.    On rare occasion we have had to wait but was caused by a late departure.

9 hours ago, SanderBelgium said:

We are sailing Northern Europe on Reflection this summer and are travelling together with my wife’s parents.

I have read that diner on Reflection can be quit hectic sometime. My MIL has suffered a stroke and has difficulties standing for too long in crowded places.
We will be dining in the MDR most of the time and don’t mind dining at set times, but would prefer to be seated together at a table for 4. I was told that anytime' dining normally has longer queues than traditional dining. 
Could you advise us what would be the best thing to do? Is it possible to request a table for (only) 4 when dining traditional' at set times? If we choose ‘anytime’ dining, would you recommend we show up early at 6 every day, or is this a busy time?
Thanks for your advice!

I'd recommend Traditional dining where your table will be waiting for you each night. Generally the late seating is less crowded, but either early or late traditional, you will not have a wait. You have an assigned table each night and you just show up at the appropriate dining time and go to that table. Yes, you can request a table for 4 in Traditional dining. I'd suggest that as soon as you board on embarkation day you go to the MDR maitre d and make sure your request has been honored. If there's any problem it can easily be remedied at that time. Select dining with or without reservations will generally involve at least a short wait and could result in a longer wait.

If you choose fixed dining times, there should be little to no wait to get seated (except the 1st day, which is a little hectic as no one knows where their table is).  If you choose select dining, then I suggest making reservations online ahead of time.  There may still be a bit of a line or a short wait, but if the wait is (rarely) too long they will give you a buzzer.  If you don't make reservations it is a crap shoot for the most part.

We have found we are never really able to predict dining times on cruises.  In most cases, very early or very late will be the least crowded.  I agree with the statement that we found European dining times to be later than on cruises with a lot of US passengers.  I also agree that you don't want to go right after a show ends.  Beyond that, I'll be darned if I can predict.  We eat in Blu, and usually go around 7:45ish, right before the shows end (if we attend we leave early sometimes).  Sometimes we get seated right away, and other times the place is jammed.  Just can't predict - it seems to vary cruise by cruise, even with similar itineraries.

Thank you very much for all your good advice, you are most helpfull!

Reading the replies, I think I will contact the maitre d after boarding and ask for a table for 4 in traditional dining.

Thanks again, and for those also sailing on Reflection out of Amsterdam the 29th of July, hope to meet onboard!

1 hour ago, SanderBelgium said:

Reading the replies, I think I will contact the maitre d after boarding and ask for a table for 4 in traditional dining.

Thanks again, and for those also sailing on Reflection out of Amsterdam the 29th of July, hope to meet onboard!

You can (and should) make this request before the cruise.  Just contact your booking agent and let them know.  Be sure you have the booking numbers for all of the reservations.  The dining times can fill up, but you can also be put on a wait list if the one you want is not available.

4 hours ago, SanderBelgium said:

Request the table for 4 prior to your cruise. Ask that your reservations be linked. (You'll need both booking numbers). Then as soon as you board go the MDR and speak with the maitre d to make sure your request was honored and make certain the table assigned meets the needs of your MIL.