Mariner Status question

TN Fem

We are just a couple days shy of 3 star mariner status. We have a 14 day New Zealand/Australia cruise booked for Christmas. 

Is it worth taking a quick cruise before hand to get the bump?  Husband found relatively cheap cruise that works perfectly with the kids Spring Break. (this is the first time in years our kids all have the same spring break). 

Three star gives you 25% off wine packages and specialty restaurants. Not sure if taking a short cruise would be worth it. I see you are from Tennessee, so including travel to the port and the cost of the cruise could be fairly expensive. Really up to you.  I would do it going from three to four stars, because you get free laundry with four stars. 

• Like 1

Me personally knowing how hard it can be to coordinate family schedules would jump at the chance to get a cruise in with everyone.

The 3 star amenities aren't overwhelming and not something I would go out of my way to achieve BUT they do add up over time if you like specialty dining and wine packages especially. 25% off those has saved us some $$, especially on the larger ships with more dining venues. I estimate we are about 4 cruises from 4* and looking forwards to bumping it up a notch...... and free laundry, who doesn't love that!! 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

Only you know how much you  value the small  benefits of three star but being able for your whole family  to cruise together sounds very special..  There could come a day when you might  treasure the  memories of that family cruise

Please let us know what you decide.

Edited by sail7seas

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

IMO, not worth it just to get to 3 Star.  For 4 star it could be worth it due to free laundry, VIP boardings, and the 50% discounts.

I agree 100%. The big jump is from three-star to four-star. Our first cruise after attaining four-star status was only for seven nights, but we put the benefits to use immediately (free laundry twice and a six-bottle wine package at 50% off). Our next HAL cruise will be for 28 nights, so these perks will be a Godsend. 

We booked it because it still worked out to a good deal and I'm burnt out at work after only 4 weeks back from my last trip🤪

4* seems so far off but totally worth it just for the laundry... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TN Fem said:

We booked it because it still worked out to a good deal and I'm burnt out at work after only 4 weeks back from my last trip🤪

4* seems so far off but totally worth it just for the laundry... 

Happy for you to be looking forward to your family  cruising together.

1 minute ago, kevingastreich said:

If you attain the next star level during a cruise are the perks automatic or do you need to tell someone and get a new cabin card etc? This will happen to us on our upcoming cruise.  (Three* to Four*)

The perqs for the new Mariner level don't apply until the next cruise, after the one on which you attained that level. 
If you are on a Collectors' Cruise, or one with segments, your new level may be recognized on the next segment, IF you meet the new level on sailing days; no spending on the current trip counts. 

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

If you are on a Collectors' Cruise, or one with segments, your new level may be recognized on the next segment, IF you meet the new level on sailing days; no spending on the current trip counts. 

And I would add that if this is the case it would be best that you get advance approval in writing from the Mariner Society to present to the front desk.

Edited by catl331