Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

Supposedly on the plane the passengers were to wear their face masks the entire flight.

If that was enforced, then there would be no beverages or food served.

If that was not enforced, then the virus could spread if those with the virus had any food or drink.

1 minute ago, caribill said:

Supposedly on the plane the passengers were to wear their face masks the entire flight.

If that was enforced, then there would be no beverages or food served.

If that was not enforced, then the virus could spread if those with the virus had any food or drink.

I’m thinking that there were professional people on the aircraft that had things under control and they did what needed to be done. I think it might be conjecture on your part. 

Glenn

6 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

I’m thinking that there were professional people on the aircraft that had things under control and they did what needed to be done. I think it might be conjecture on your part. 

There were only two possibilities:

a) Keep the masks on and consume no food or drink

b) Consume food and/or drink which means the masks would be off for a period of time, fully defeating the purpose of using the masks.

And, per another post above, there were definitely 14 persons on the plane who had tested positive for the virus.

• Like 5

Food and drink would be able to be consumed. The flight from Wuhan China to Australia was many hours long. And food and drink was provided. It was on the seats when passengers boarded. I’d expect a similar arrangement here. 

The flight is all about ensuring that passengers arrive into the USA and not really about isolating them at this stage. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, caribill said:

There were only two possibilities:

a) Keep the masks on and consume no food or drink

b) Consume food and/or drink which means the masks would be off for a period of time, fully defeating the purpose of using the masks.

And, per another post, there were definitely 14 persons on the plane who had tested positive for the virus.

In the comment that I responded to, two points you made began with “if” which implies uncertainty. If you look in the thesaurus, “if” and “presumption” are the same word, yet you want to present that as fact. 
I've got news for you that you may not be aware of. There are people a lot smarter than me, perhaps both of us, that are in charge that may think there are more than two possibilities. 
However, you do make a good point that it will probably be a long assed flight without food and water. 

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart

Just seen the video of the passengers getting on the plane and I am even more worried about this move now.  Apart from the fact that 14 on the bus were then were pulled aside for the plane as they were positive, there are people walking up the isle putting their hands on each seat back as they go - no gloves- I really hope this doesn't back fire.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, caribill said:

Consume food and/or drink which means the masks would be off for a period of time, fully defeating the purpose of using the masks.

Going without food for some 14 hours is certainly doable - without fluids not a good idea (especially when confined for that long a time - DVTs, etc).

One can certainly drink from an otherwise sealed water/juice container with a straw without removing the mask by slipping the straw into their mouths on the side of the mask.

5 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Just seen the video of the passengers getting on the plane and I am even more worried about this move now.  Apart from the fact that 14 on the bus were then were pulled aside for the plane as they were positive, there are people walking up the isle putting their hands on each seat back as they go - no gloves- I really hope this doesn't back fire.  

I don’t think the flight is particularly designed to prevent people catching the virus on the flight to be honest. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

I don’t think the flight is particularly designed to prevent people catching the virus on the flight to be honest. 

No dishonesty here.

The 14 had no symptoms, but after they left the ship the results of virus testing came back positive.

20 minutes ago, caribill said:

No dishonesty here.

The 14 had no symptoms, but after they left the ship the results of virus testing came back positive.

I read an article that said they tested positive before getting on the plane, they were held back then decided to let them board but keep them separate from the other passengers. So they knew prior but were not symptomatic. 

Some sections of her flight were segregated from others, with those who had tested positive but were not yet showing symptoms sitting in a tented area of the plane, she wrote from on board.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/world/asia/coronavirus-japan-cruise-americans.html

Edited by Pushka

2 hours ago, Grburkart said:

PR nightmare? I hardly think so. This whole situation with only one ship of many in quarantine isn’t the fault of Princess. In this particular instance with the Diamond, it’s at the behest of the Japanese Government. 
In my opinion, the gurus at Princess should be proud of what they’re doing. Don’t forget, Princess is still fully operational around the world. 

Glenn

Tons of ppl I know who were interested in cruising have lost interest. 

I have personally cancelled 1 cruise bc of this. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farts said:

Tons of ppl I know who were interested in cruising have lost interest. 

I have personally cancelled 1 cruise bc of this. 

Fair enough and I’m one of them. Losing interest in cruising is different than losing interest in Princess cruises. My point being it’s not the fault of Princess and I think it’s admirable for the way they’ve conducted themselves considering they have zero control over the proceedings.

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart
  • Like 2

Just now, Grburkart said:

Fair enough and I’m one of them. Lose interest in cruising is different than losing interest in Princess cruises. My point being it’s not the fault of Princess and I think it’s admirable for the way they’ve conducted themselves considering they have zero control over the proceedings.

Glenn

I agree that it's not their fault. 

Ppl around me know I love to cruise. But now many ppl are saying how all cruise ships are just nasty petri dishes. Can't blame them. 

Just now, Farts said:

Ppl around me know I love to cruise. But now many ppl are saying how all cruise ships are just nasty petri dishes. Can't blame them. 

I fully agree with that. An acquaintance was on the Emerald last fall and he came down with the norovirus. So you just never know. 
Tne best way to contact something is by visiting a hospital or a school. Now cruise ships are on the list. 

Glenn

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farts said:

I’ve heard people say exactly that. But you know what? They had never been on a cruise and had no plans to take one. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I’ve heard people say exactly that. But you know what? They had never been on a cruise and had no plans to take one. 

Some coworkers were interested. But now they aren't. 

I was going to plan a cruise with one of them. But now they are a no go. 

5 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I sort of get why some are saying no to cruises now.  We enjoyed 3 cruises over the last year and we were in the process of looking for our next one. However, we are going to give the rest of the year a miss (we may decide to not even holiday at all depending on what happens over the next few months).  However, all being well, we will return to cruising and after seeing how Princess has dealt with the fall out of this, they are definitely on our list to choose from.  On the other hand, HAL and NCL are off the list having followed how they have approached this situation.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I sort of get why some are saying no to cruises now.  We enjoyed 3 cruises over the last year and we were in the process of looking for our next one. However, we are going to give the rest of the year a miss (we may decide to not even holiday at all depending on what happens over the next few months).  However, all being well, we will return to cruising and after seeing how Princess has dealt with the fall out of this, they are definitely on our list to choose from.  On the other hand, HAL and NCL are off the list having followed how they have approached this situation.

HAL and Princess have the same parent company. Just FYI. 

and yea, I would expect that much from NCL. Always trying to push up the base fair. For our convenience of course...

Edited by Farts

1 minute ago, Farts said:

HAL and Princess have the same parent company. Just FYI. 

and yea, I would expect that much from NCL. Always trying to push up the base fair. For our convenience of course...

I know they are both under carnival that's why it is so baffling that they seem to have taken such different approaches to this, not just about the quarantine - but just about every decision has taken each company down differing paths.

• Like 1