Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

2 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I know they are both under carnival that's why it is so baffling that they seem to have taken such different approaches to this, not just about the quarantine - but just about every decision has taken each company down differing paths.

I have never been a fan of HAL. 

Food is great, but it's just not for me, as you can guess from my screen name

I’m starting to wonder what a positive actually means. Deaths seem to be confined to the original occupants of Hubei except for a couple of reports of deaths but in the elderly (+80) and those with significant other health issues. And many are positive and wouldn’t even know it or whose symptoms are very mild. And then others swing from positive to negative. Again with no symptoms. 

18 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Before I declare it generous.  I want to hear the details.  If those who canceled early get the same compensation as those who waited I will praise them.  If cruisers are offered a partial FCC not so much.

I didn't say it was generous. I said it was more generous than the consequences of canceling the booking before Princess canceled the sailing, which is what was originally being discussed upthread.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1

Another 99 positives today. 85 passengers and 14 crew. That’s 454 people. I cannot see people being allowed to simply walk off. On another note there’s been nothing from David Abel since first thing this morning on FB or YouTube. 😞. They were tested two days ago. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I’m starting to wonder what a positive actually means. Deaths seem to be confined to the original occupants of Hubei except for a couple of reports of deaths but in the elderly (+80) and those with significant other health issues. And many are positive and wouldn’t even know it or whose symptoms are very mild. And then others swing from positive to negative. Again with no symptoms. 

Yip it is baffling- That being said there are 18 seriously ill in hospital from the ship-No idea of age of those people tho.

Also under investigation is the effect of the virus on different demographics, there are a few papers now on this, but still to be independently verified. 

I worked on a drug that was discovered because a certain race  (a not even a race more of linked group of  tribes) of people did not get certain illnesses. It was found they were genetically coded with an inhibitor of a certain protein. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Another 99 positives today. 85 passengers and 14 crew. That’s 454 people. I cannot see people being allowed to simply walk off. On another note there’s been nothing from David Abel since first thing this morning on FB or YouTube. 😞. They were tested two days ago. 

David Abel was just live he knows about 90+ positive but nothing for him and Sally so far for results.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Te Aroha said:

David Abel was just live he knows about 90+ positive but nothing for him and Sally so far for results.

Ah Thankyou. That’s good. Maybe they are going to be fine? Listening now. Oh my. So much stress for them. I did also read in a media report that if you were negative you weren’t told. 

Edited by Pushka

4 minutes ago, dog said:

Any news regarding the UK sending a plane for their citizens?

No. I believe the official line is they would be better off in a Japanese medical facility than going home. 😲

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Just now, dog said:

Still nothing, but it will have to happen.  Two opposing viewpoints I suppose - help our citizens or worry about the precedent and expect holidaymakers and their insurers to sort their own problems out.

If the prediction that 50% of the world’s population will inevitably be infected proves correct, quarantine is going to be completely irrelevant anyway soon.

4 minutes ago, dog said:

It was mentioned on the BBC news on-line that UK were in communication with Japan and considering its options for those on board to best protect them and the rest of UK - It was only up for about an hour and then the report changed/ updated and that is no-longer mentioned in the updated one. Strangely you can usually link back to the previous version but on this occasion I cannot find it now.

Also UK is taking a different approach to this-

no ban on china flights unless WHO requests

no quarantine of passengers from a list of counties unless showing symptoms 

no closing of schools or venues even if someone is waiting for results - only if they are positive (confirmed by family who are teachers in secondary schools)

I have seen mentioned (but cannot confirm) that after we have a certain number of +ve cases (100 being branded- but , if true, I think it will mean 100 un-traceable). Then testing is to stop and assumption to be made if any flu symptoms it's Coronavirus and ill people must self isolate for 14 days. 

Hospitals have had mini isolation units attached ( read shipping containers)

I get the feeling our approach is we know it is coming- just brace

7 minutes ago, fragilek said:

It was mentioned on the BBC news on-line that UK were in communication with Japan and considering its options for those on board to best protect them and the rest of UK - It was only up for about an hour and then the report changed/ updated and that is no-longer mentioned in the updated one. Strangely you can usually link back to the previous version but on this occasion I cannot find it now.

I saw that too. Also somewhere said their government would not comment re: David Abel’s comments 

5 hours ago, Grburkart said:

PR nightmare? I hardly think so. This whole situation with only one ship of many in quarantine isn’t the fault of Princess. In this particular instance with the Diamond, it’s at the behest of the Japanese Government. 
In my opinion, the gurus at Princess should be proud of what they’re doing. Don’t forget, Princess is still fully operational around the world. 

Glenn

Yes it is a PR nightmare. My friends see the ship every day (several times a day) on the news. They have not cruised but are in the demographic that are looking at them and Princess is the last line they will look at based on what they see on TV news. And they have warned that the stock is taking a hit because of it. If everything was great - they would not announced this stock hit. Even loyal Princess people have thought they handled the cancellations poorly.

There has been some criticism by how staff acted during the quarantine (not using face masks around others, etc...). Not sure how accurate it is but it is out there.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Still nothing, but it will have to happen.  Two opposing viewpoints I suppose - help our citizens or worry about the precedent and expect holidaymakers and their insurers to sort their own problems out.

If the prediction that 50% of the world’s population will inevitably be infected proves correct, quarantine is going to be completely irrelevant anyway soon.

That is  a very biased, one sided, false description of the alternative.  There are multiple reasons not to evacuate.  1. Protect the homeland.  If the passengers remain in Japan they won’t spread it in England.  Bring them to England and risk them spending it to others.  2. Am many has observed the airplane flight is an ideal environment for the disease to spread.  I doubt the cost of the flight is the issue as Princess can pay for it, so no precedent would be set.

The quarantine is not irrelevant.  While I don’t doubt it will ultimately fail and the disease will go global.  The longer that can be delayed the more time researchers have to develop treatments or even a vaccine.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

That is  a very biased, one sided, false description of the alternative.  There are multiple reasons not to evacuate.  1. Protect the homeland.  If the passengers remain in Japan they won’t spread it in England.  Bring them to England and risk them spending it to others.  2. Am many has observed the airplane flight is an ideal environment for the disease to spread.  I doubt the cost of the flight is the issue as Princess can pay for it, so no precedent would be set.

The quarantine is not irrelevant.  While I don’t doubt it will ultimately fail and the disease will go global.  The longer that can be delayed the more time researchers have to develop treatments or even a vaccine.

In fact, as I see it, I am sure princess would happily pay to get everyone off the ship and out of the news.  I am not attaching any blame here to princess at all - as I said earlier they seem to have handled better than other lines.  But people, not on these sort of forums, won't be looking into what other lines have done they just see the princess name and that's unfortunately what they will remember.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Also UK is taking a different approach to this-

no ban on china flights unless WHO requests

no quarantine of passengers from a list of counties unless showing symptoms 

no closing of schools or venues even if someone is waiting for results - only if they are positive (confirmed by family who are teachers in secondary schools)

I have seen mentioned (but cannot confirm) that after we have a certain number of +ve cases (100 being branded- but , if true, I think it will mean 100 un-traceable). Then testing is to stop and assumption to be made if any flu symptoms it's Coronavirus and ill people must self isolate for 14 days. 

Hospitals have had mini isolation units attached ( read shipping containers)

I get the feeling our approach is we know it is coming- just brace

Honestly, I think that’s what will happen everywhere. It will just become part of the risks of well, breathing. Eventually there will be a vaccine, there will be some deaths sadly, just like there is with the flu and in 12 months time it will be forgotten. Potentially it may dilute as it spreads. 

4 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Per captain, general disembarkation for passangers will begin on 19 February and is estimated to end 22 February. Passengers will be notified one day prior to their scheduled disembarkation with instructions. #COVID19 #DiamondPrincess #Quarantine

Perhaps those that have tested negative will be allowed to disembark??

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Honestly, I think that’s what will happen everywhere. It will just become part of the risks of well, breathing. Eventually there will be a vaccine, there will be some deaths sadly, just like there is with the flu and in 12 months time it will be forgotten. Potentially it may dilute as it spreads. 

Most viruses mutate to get worse a period of time after initial spread and then mutate again to become less lethal as it doesn't help their end game if they kill their hosts.   (there are exceptions of course Ebola being one and FIP (cat coronavirus being another, that's a really odd one - virus mutates after infecting the host in about 10% of cases to become the lethal form FIP)

The baffling thing about this virus is that from what I have seen in research papers it seems to not produce the same antibody reaction in hosts.  That makes the general populations immunity and ability to fight this reliant on drug or vaccines. And also may mean a person can get this twice.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

According to the latest figures more crew members are now testing positive, have they being spreading the virus? A Japanese official says that 70% of those found to be positive have no symptoms at all?? Does this mean they won't ever get any symptoms, they will only be mild or the symptoms are yet to develop. Of the 9 confirmed cases in the UK 8 have now been released, do the majority of people only get a mild form of the virus?? These are all unanswered questions at the moment.

Of the 15 from Wuhan who were positive and isolated in Australian hospitals 8 have left and the rest are stable. Nothing new for over 2 weeks. 

And the plan for the British passengers is back up on BBC news 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51526875

Rescue plan 'considered' for Britons trapped on cruise

The Foreign Office is "considering all options" for Britons trapped on a quarantined cruise liner in Japan struck by coronavirus - including flying them home.

Downing Street said officials are in contact with the 74 UK passengers and crew to "establish interest" in a repatriation flight.

Edited by fragilek