No $32000 refund for you

tallnthensome

Ok here is my question that does not make sense.  The article says they purchased insurance through NCL.  NCL insurance allows you can cancel for any reason.  You will get credit for 70% or 90% of the cruise depending on the plan you bought.  So if it is true they bought insurance through NCL, they could easily cancel and book a future cruise once the epidemic calms down.  Simple.  But you cant get a refund. If you really want to take this cruise then just take the credit and move the dates.

This is EXACTLY what NCL insurance is for.  You feel uncomfortable about cruising and want to cancel but other insurance policies would not allow to cancel and get a refund.  If they really have NCL insurance, they should be extremely happy.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 5

Wonder what ship and sailing this was for. Can't blame those passengers if this was a February departure. Typical of NCL to force their guests into areas that have a higher risk of virus, instead of allowing them to do what they feel comfortable doing. But hey, their one sided guest contract allows them to do that and so they do. But no one should be surprised by this. This isn't the first time they've acted carelessly and recklesdly. I'd expect nothing less from Norwegian Cruise Lines.

I pray for the well being and safety of any guest that is being forced with making the decision to sail or lose significant amounts of money due to greedy and inflexible policies.

At least the inflexible policies are being exposed and making the news. Who knows how accurate the report is, but it doesn't matter, the negative publicity is there.

Edited by blcruising

11 minutes ago, AviationInScale said:

Terms & Conditions, man...Terms & Conditions.

All companies have terms and conditions. All companies also have the opportunity to choose to enforce them or waive them from time to time based on actual circumstances. Thankfully, most reputable companies, airlines and cruiselines included, have placed customer safety and desires ahead of legal terms and conditions and afforded great flexibility. But there are a few that have chosen to be inflexible and rigid, citing the terms and conditions mentioned in your post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Ok here is my question that does not make sense.  The article says they purchased insurance through NCL.  NCL insurance allows you can cancel for any reason.  You will get credit for 70% or 90% of the cruise depending on the plan you bought.  So if it is true they bought insurance through NCL, they could easily cancel and book a future cruise once the epidemic calms down.

There are other sites with this story. At least one of the articles mentioned they contacted the BBB and were advised to open a case with the BBB and contact their third party trip insurer.

Edited by blcruising

36 minutes ago, _Rick_ said:

"According to Morrison, she purchased trip insurance from Norwegian, but they told her it doesn’t cover epidemics."

Sounds like some first class travel insurance they're peddling.  

I've been reading on a travel forum site and it looks like most travel insurance would not cover a preemptive canceling like this. I think their cruise was out of Hong Kong which is not part of mainland China that has been given all the restrictions. All the cruises other companies canceled were out of mainland China. 

43 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Ok here is my question that does not make sense.  The article says they purchased insurance through NCL.  NCL insurance allows you can cancel for any reason.  You will get credit for 70% or 90% of the cruise depending on the plan you bought.  So if it is true they bought insurance through NCL, they could easily cancel and book a future cruise once the epidemic calms down.  Simple.  But you cant get a refund. If you really want to take this cruise then just take the credit and move the dates.

This is EXACTLY what NCL insurance is for.  You feel uncomfortable about cruising and want to cancel but other insurance policies would not allow to cancel and get a refund.  If they really have NCL insurance, they should be extremely happy.

Exactly.  This makes no sense.  So why did I buy the NCL insurance if it doesn’t cover epidemics?

I read they were due to sail the Jade out of Hong Kong not sure which date. We are sailing on the Jade on the 17th and although we are insured if we catch the virus they wont cover costs if we decided not to go. If the airline flies and NCL sails we have to go or lose our money.

I doubt they have “cancel for no reason”travel insurance or this is a no story.

51 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The “insurance” is NOT cancel for any reason. 

If you cancel and the insurance company denies your claim (because illness of others is not covered), NCL, not the insurance company, will give you a future cruise credit. Something that the Hawai’i people didn’t understand before sensationalizing it to the media. 

21 minutes ago, ppcox said:

I read they were due to sail the Jade out of Hong Kong not sure which date. We are sailing on the Jade on the 17th and although we are insured if we catch the virus they wont cover costs if we decided not to go. If the airline flies and NCL sails we have to go or lose our money.

I doubt they have “cancel for no reason”travel insurance or this is a no story.

If you are too sick to travel, why wouldn’t insurance kick in? 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The “insurance” is NOT cancel for any reason. 

If you cancel and the insurance company denies your claim (because illness of others is not covered), NCL, not the insurance company, will give you a future cruise credit. Something that the Hawai’i people didn’t understand before sensationalizing it to the media. 

A travel insurance company may reimburse you if YOU get sick.  No insurance company will give you a refund on a hypothetical about someone else possibly being sick in another country.  With the insurance NCL sells there would be no claim for such a situation.  You can cancel your cruise for any reason.  Not sure what you are talking about with the claim being denied.  If I cancel my cruise tomorrow because I am afraid to cruise there is no claim for such a situation.  NCL would give me 90% compensation on a future cruise. You are correct the credit would come from NCL and not the insurance company.  However you would not get this credit WITHOUT paying your premium to the insurance company (to begin with).  

In any event I agree with what others have posted.  Its unlikely they bought NCL insurance if they bought through a 3rd party.  They probably bought an insurance policy that reimburses for their own illness or tragedy that prevents travel.  If the ship is still sailing you have to go.  If you have such kind of fears of the unknown, then the NCL policy would have fit you best.  As I always say, life throws you curve balls sometimes that don't fit into checked boxes on an insurance claim form.  It pays to have flexibility on a cruise that costs so much money.

Edited by david_sobe

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL is not an insurance company.

Yes, of course...which is why I said purchased "through" and not purchased "from". Not to mention that I never claimed that NCL was an insurance company.

17 hours ago, blcruising said:

Wonder what ship and sailing this was for. Can't blame those passengers if this was a February departure. Typical of NCL to force their guests into areas that have a higher risk of virus, instead of allowing them to do what they feel comfortable doing. But hey, their one sided guest contract allows them to do that and so they do. But no one should be surprised by this. This isn't the first time they've acted carelessly and recklesdly. I'd expect nothing less from Norwegian Cruise Lines.

I pray for the well being and safety of any guest that is being forced with making the decision to sail or lose significant amounts of money due to greedy and inflexible policies.

At least the inflexible policies are being exposed and making the news. Who knows how accurate the report is, but it doesn't matter, the negative publicity is there.

I don't see any cruise line acting any differently under the circumstances, so I don't see this as an NCL alone issue. This was a decision made by the customer and yes, the terms and conditions do apply. I hope that it is true that they did have the insurance and that they will be able to receive at least the credit. Under these circumstances regular insurance wouldn't do the trick, one would need cancel for any reason because "I was afraid I'd get sick" isn't a situation that is normally covered.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't see any cruise line acting any differently under the circumstances, so I don't see this as an NCL alone issue. This was a decision made by the customer and yes, the terms and conditions do apply. I hope that it is true that they did have the insurance and that they will be able to receive at least the credit. Under these circumstances regular insurance wouldn't do the trick, one would need cancel for any reason because "I was afraid I'd get sick" isn't a situation that is normally covered.

Sure you do, many cruiselines operating from mainland China have cancelled cruises in an adundence of caution. I haven't followed closely, but last week Holland America was also being foolishly rigid with guests. Many cruiselines and airlines have relaxed the similar terms and conditions that NCL refuses to relax. Again, I don't know the sail date, but if it is in February 2020, it is the prudent thing to do given the uncertainty of the virus. Hong Kong is not part of mainland china, but in order to get to Hong Kong, many guests may be required to pass through mainland China. I also think to state "I was afraid I'd get sick", trivializes the issue at hand. I think this situation is special and unique in that it is still evolving. I'm not advocating for full refunds for eveyone, but if someone is concerned about a risk to their health or is unable to reach Hong Kong due to flight cancellations/schedule, they ought to be given some latitude....maybe a future credit, valid for a year or two.

The proof can be found in the cruise price and huge available inventory for the Jade Feb 6 Singapore run to Hong Kong and then the Feb 17 Hong Kong departure. They can't give these cruises away because there is concern.

I applaud the Hawaii guests for exposing bad corporate behavior. I, of course, am skeptical of the accuracy of the reporting, but the damage is done because the average consumer picks up the article and runs with it.

The Jade is not due back in Hong Kong until Feb 17. There is increasing pressure on the Hong Kong govt to fully close the border with mainland China.

20 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Sure you do, many cruiselines operating from mainland China have cancelled cruises in an adundence of caution. I haven't followed closely, but last week Holland America was also being foolishly rigid with guests. Many cruiselines and airlines have relaxed the similar terms and conditions that NCL refuses to relax. Again, I don't know the sail date, but if it is in February 2020, it is the prudent thing to do given the uncertainty of the virus. Hong Kong is not part of mainland china, but in order to get to Hong Kong, many guests may be required to pass through mainland China. I also think to state "I was afraid I'd get sick", trivializes the issue at hand. I think this situation is special and unique in that it is still evolving. I'm not advocating for full refunds for eveyone, but if someone is concerned about a risk to their health or is unable to reach Hong Kong due to flight cancellations/schedule, they ought to be given some latitude....maybe a future credit, valid for a year or two.

The proof can be found in the cruise price and huge available inventory for the Jade Feb 6 Singapore run to Hong Kong and then the Feb 17 Hong Kong departure. They can't give these cruises away because there is concern.

I applaud the Hawaii guests for exposing bad corporate behavior. I, of course, am skeptical of the accuracy of the reporting, but the damage is done because the average consumer picks up the article and runs with it.

The Jade is not due back in Hong Kong until Feb 17. There is increasing pressure on the Hong Kong govt to fully close the border with mainland China.

There is a difference between a cruise line cancelling a cruise and between the guest deciding to not go on the cruise. If someone can't reach the port because of flight cancellations that, too, is a different matter entirely. The reporting of this story does leave something to be desired, as it always does, but the travelers do have medical insurance that will provide them with a credit, not a refund. That also changes things. I don't see this as bad corporate behavior and you do. C'est la vie. 

I don't see this as reflecting negatively on NCL at all. This was the passengers' choice. If they truly did purchase insurance through NCL, then they should receive a future cruise credit for a substantial amount. If they purchased some other travel insurance that doesn't cover their CHOICE to not sail, then that is on them. Something like 50,000 people die of the fly every year. If I chose to cancel a previously booked cruise during flu season, because I suddenly become paranoid about catching the flu, that's on me, not the cruise line.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 7

Lots of variables here that don’t quite make this a legit claim.  First, it’s HK, not main land China, which is where the virus has been reported.

2nd, you want to cancel because you may (or may not) get sick because of the virus.

Lastly, not sure what insurance company they used, but their beef is with the insurance company.

Costco is merely the sales agent.  They’re correct that the family should take this up with the insurance company!

23 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't see this as reflecting negatively on NCL at all. This was the passengers' choice.

Yeah, NCL forced them to make a decision alright...

(A) possibly lose a bunch of money if they didn't have cancel for any reason insurance or

(B) try to meet the ship in Hong Kong which is very close in proximity to where the vast majority of virus cases have been reported.

Many, in fact, most other travel providers did a prudent thing. They said we're going to allow our passengers the flexibility to decide what they want to do without financial penalty OR we are just pulling out of the area by cancelling flights or sailings. They said...we aren't even remotely going to take the chance that we could contribute to the further spread of this virus.

At this point, I don't have enough information to equate this to the flu. It may be less or more serious. 

Edited by blcruising

5 minutes ago, blcruising said:

(B) try to meet the ship in Hong Kong which is very close in proximity to where the vast majority of virus cases have been reported.

The article linked only says the ship is supposed to stop in Hong Kong, not that it is embarking/disembarking there. Do we know which specific sailing this is? It's still possible that the port would be skipped. I assume NCL wouldn't make that call until they had to.