Wine on Carnival

atobols

Where can I find good wine on Carnival?  Is it in one particular bar?  Does every bar serve the same wine?  Is there a published wine list somewhere?  We're trying to decide between doing cheers and the wine package.  Zinfandel, Tempranillo, and petite Syrah are some of our favorites. 

Are you asking for your upcoming Miracle cruise?   If so, you will find a nice wine list in the steakhouse.  If you book there the first night and/or the first elegant evening, you can choose wines for 50% off Carnival's published price.   You can also buy "Cruise the Vineyards" wine package before you sail.  They have various packages based on number of bottles you want for your cruise.

For instance, 3 bottles from the premium selection is $116.82 and include selections such as Cline (California) Zinfandel,  Grant Burge 5th Gen Shiraz (Australia), Terrazas Reserva Malbec (Argentina)...many more but I don't see tempranillo or petite syrah on the list.   For the best info on this, call Carnival fun shops 800-522-7648 (it is not offered online).

By the glass, I think you will find basic wines at about $8 or $9 a glass in the MDR and most of the bars.

I believe at the MDR, the best I've seen is the layer cake for about $13 a glass, which is more than the bottle costs. Steakhouse is your best bet.

I do think Carnival is missing out by not having a nice wine bar. Until then, I'd bring your own stuff.

• Like 2

Petite Syrah is my preferred wine.  I haven't seen it on the wine lists in the MDR or the steakhouse.  Both have a decent Australian Syrah.

The 50% off deal offered on bottles of wine the first night in the Steakhouse is one of the best bargains on the ship -- IF you're interested in dining there.  They will transfer your bottles to the MDR to enjoy with dinners there.

Happy sailing.

Steakhouse has the best wine. Everywhere else seems to be hit/miss, even if they have a menu. Serenity bar had the most options on the last cruise. It seems wine is not catered to like beer/hard/mixed drinks. I really hope Carnival will change this and have more consistency. The randomness of availability is frustrating.  

On 2/5/2020 at 4:01 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

Great question.  Anyone have any wine menus ?  Does Alchemy have a better wine by the glass selection than the MDR ?

I don't think Alchemy serves wine, only cocktails.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:21 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Steakhouse has the best wine. Everywhere else seems to be hit/miss, even if they have a menu. Serenity bar had the most options on the last cruise. It seems wine is not catered to like beer/hard/mixed drinks. I really hope Carnival will change this and have more consistency. The randomness of availability is frustrating.  

I remember reading a while back that wines onboard are hard to keep consistent due to the nature of some wines.  Price per vintage, how certain wines should be kept, etc aren't always conducive to ship ordering and storage.

Have  you considered bringing your 1 bottle per person with you?  I know that's not a lot of wine for some folks.  I typically bring a bottle & it lasts all week since I also drink beer & cocktails.  But, I was thinking that at least you'd be sure to have some wine you like in case what Carnival has is not appealing to you.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

hope your not calling  $10 bottle of Cline a good wine. The Steakhouse has the best wines.

I was listing examples from Carnival's premium list, I literally have no idea since I don't drink zinfandel.  I find every bottle of wine onboard at least triple what we pay at Total Wine.

I've done the cruise the vineyard package a couple of times. They used to have three tiers and I chose the 2nd tier and there were decent choices. The last thing I read looked like it is only 2 tiers now. Although I have my favorites of 'nicer' wine... I think layer cake Josh Cellars, Kendall Jackson, etc... are enjoyable too. They were in the middle tier. 

On 2/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

Great question.  Anyone have any wine menus ?  Does Alchemy have a better wine by the glass selection than the MDR ?

Alchemy is a great place to go for good and unique drinks. Not a wine bar. 

On 2/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Do we have to eat in the steakhouse in order to buy wine?  We're a vegetarian family so eating at the steakhouse holds little appeal.

Depending on what ship you are sailing on, if it has a library bar, there is a very good selection in the self dispensing wine bar.  Horizon had several choices including Caymus which is my favorite.  Nice pours are $14.95, a smaller sample was available for . $6.95, and I believe the larger pour was $16-17.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:27 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

So... do they have bottles of the menu wine selection at the MDR stations to pour for you at the table... or do they have to retrieve the glass of wine you select from a bar ?

If your order your wine by the glass they likely get it from a bar, but if you order a bottle they will bring the entire bottle to your table.  We have ordered a bottle before, but always finish it at the meal between us.  If you have left over my understanding is they will hold it for you or you can take it with you.

19 hours ago, atobols said:

Do we have to eat in the steakhouse in order to buy wine?  We're a vegetarian family so eating at the steakhouse holds little appeal.

You can purchase wine at the table in MDR or from most of the bars (I don't think Alchemy carries any wine).  If you are pescatarian or flexitarian then the steakhouse does have other options, but if you are truly vegetarian I don't think there are many options.  Bonsai Sushi and other specialty restaurants beside the MDR also likely serve wines.