CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

That's why I don't get why people chose not to be evacuated. Yeah I understand that getting thrown together as a group is scary and will potentially expose you to the virus but clearly the Diamond Princess is not capable of being an effective quarantine. You basically are waiting for it to slowly spread to you. I would put on a N95 mask and any other PPE they could provide me and take my chances getting out and getting to a place that can actually host a proper quarantine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, M2LR said:

That's why I don't get why people chose not to be evacuated. Yeah I understand that getting thrown together as a group is scary and will potentially expose you to the virus but clearly the Diamond Princess is not capable of being an effective quarantine. You basically are waiting for it to slowly spread to you. I would put on a N95 mask and any other PPE they could provide me and take my chances getting out and getting to a place that can actually host a proper quarantine.

I do not disagree, and I think they were given those quality masks.  What I do not know is how many Americans stayed on the ship.  There could also be other reasons, ie a loved one who tested positive and is remaining there for treatment.  Not a good situation.  

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not disagree, and I think they were given those quality masks.  What I do not know is how many Americans stayed on the ship.  There could also be other reasons, ie a loved one who tested positive and is remaining there for treatment.  Not a good situation.  

That makes sense. The person quoted in the article I read sounded like they were staying just to avoid being exposed to everyone else but I could see staying behind for a loved one if they were not able to be evacuated. 

32 minutes ago, M2LR said:

That makes sense. The person quoted in the article I read sounded like they were staying just to avoid being exposed to everyone else but I could see staying behind for a loved one if they were not able to be evacuated. 

The wife and I had this very discussion of it were us and what we would do last night.  

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

First impact in the Caribbean I have seen, this is not good news.  Chances of it being Corona are small but....

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22371-st-lucia-turns-away-aida-ship-due-to-health-concerns.html

That was 16 days ago, so if it was Corona, I would think it would be known by now. Weird that there wasn’t more news on this cuz I don’t remember seeing anything about it. I’m guessing it hit the other ports on the itinerary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M2LR said:

I doubt they were handing out n95 masks. First because of cost. Second, I doubt there was any crew qualified to properly fit them to the cruisers. Third, none of those cruising would likely wear the n95 mask as it would need to be worn.

19 minutes ago, gmblr said:

I doubt they were handing out n95 masks. First because of cost. Second, I doubt there was any crew qualified to properly fit them to the cruisers. Third, none of those cruising would likely wear the n95 mask as it would need to be worn.

The people in the pictures were all wearing face masks. If you search for n95 masks on Amazon you get get a multi pack for like $25 bucks. Maybe you are thinking of a different type of mask. Even if you go for the 3M ones you still can get a 10 count box for $25. If they can't spring for $2.50 a person then that is sad.

Edited by M2LR

If the quarantined on the ship wore n95 masks properly, it’s likely the transmission and spread would have been reduced. Like I said, I doubt they were given n95 masks. Even if they were, there’s more involved than simply putting on the mask. They would need to be instructed in proper use and follow the instructions. 

4 hours ago, M2LR said:

The couple quoted in the article are in a full suite.  They said they had been quite comfortable throughout the quarantine process.  Quite a different scenario from those without a balcony.  

Reports indicated that stewards delivering the meals were not just passing out food, but they were infected and passing the virus to the passengers.  

Yes, many couples have been separated.  Hubby and I discussed this and said that if it happened to us, whoever could get out should get out ASAP.

Anthony Faucci announced that the quarantine had been a failure.  No fooling.  They had a different quarantine protocol for the passengers believing that they were older and more susceptible than the crew.  That assumption was flawed.

Perhaps this is the problem:

https://www.eturbonews.com/542533/coronavirus-risk-for-asians-africans-caucasians-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR1lBNCc3Gm9NAb5tTxRGFEUlkcyGaNQjw2Wt2MdRwM4G4bi8ch0ZD8bYGA

5 hours ago, M2LR said:

The Diamond Princess quarantine is over tomorrow. Assuming no issues, will the remaining Americans be allowed to just fly home? All the ones that left early have an additional 14 days of quarantine.  Maybe that's why they stayed.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

First impact in the Caribbean I have seen, this is not good news.  Chances of it being Corona are small but....

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22371-st-lucia-turns-away-aida-ship-due-to-health-concerns.html

That was old news.  They did not have Corona - just run of the mill respiratory illnesses that are common in winter.

8 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

The Diamond Princess quarantine is over tomorrow. Assuming no issues, will the remaining Americans be allowed to just fly home? All the ones that left early have an additional 14 days of quarantine.  Maybe that's why they stayed.

On the video on You Tube that Jan Swartz did she said they did not know if they passengers would be allowed to proceed home without another quarantine.  Going to look pretty foolish not getting on the plane if they end up in quarantine in Japan for 2 weeks before being allowed to fly.

I for one would rather be in quarantine in the US.

• Like 1

If the quarantined on the ship wore n95 masks properly, it’s likely the transmission and spread would have been reduced. Like I said, I doubt they were given n95 masks. Even if they were, there’s more involved than simply putting on the mask. They would need to be instructed in proper use and follow the instructions. 

They most definitely were given the masks. You can follow several of the cruise passengers via blogs and reddit. Not saying they were monitored properly or worn correctly but they definitely were given N95s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the video on You Tube that Jan Swartz did she said they did not know if they passengers would be allowed to proceed home without another quarantine.  Going to look pretty foolish not getting on the plane if they end up in quarantine in Japan for 2 weeks before being allowed to fly.
I for one would rather be in quarantine in the US.

The letter to passengers said they would not be allowed to return to the us for “a period of time” and it would be March at the very earliest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums