CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

We leave Friday, and it’s a little stressful. More stressful than normal. 

I agree with you. It’s stressful. You are probably better off leaving now, though. I have 2 weeks to determine what to do bc I don’t have “cancel any reason” insurance (is pandemic even covered for that????) as losing $1000 is a lot better than losing $5000. Ugh. I wish you all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We leave Friday, and it’s a little stressful. More stressful than normal. 

I'll be on the Vista this Saturday.  I'm not stressed about it, but it will be in my thoughts.  I guess we will see how the islands handle it.  

To me, there is too much information, yet not enough, if that makes sense.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

I agree with this. And I think it puts the islands in a bind. Turning away ships that don’t have the virus is not optimal. Nor is letting people infected on your island. As for passengers, I understand not wanting to miss ports or be quarantined. Or get the virus, although I think that risk is small for a Caribbean cruise right now.

For me, it’s simple. If my cruise is sailing in April, I’ll be on it. But I get why people are hesitant.

• Like 1

I agree with this. And I think it puts the islands in a bind. Turning away ships that don’t have the virus is not optimal. Nor is letting people infected on your island. As for passengers, I understand not wanting to miss ports or be quarantined. Or get the virus, although I think that risk is small for a Caribbean cruise right now.

For me, it’s simple. If my cruise is sailing in April, I’ll be on it. But I get why people are hesitant.

I agree with this also. If we were sailing now i wouldn’t be as concerned yet that seems kinda convoluted. There’s so much still unknown and that creates fear. That’s why i think what happens in the next couple of weeks will be very telling. The islands are in a very tough position right now.

We're on Vista March 28th.  If we are denied ports how does Carnival handle that?  Do you get a refund?  Future cruise credit?  I am just wondering what the chances are that they will cancel cruises all together.  No ports = no real cruise.  

8 minutes ago, bugaler said:

We're on Vista March 28th.  If we are denied ports how does Carnival handle that?  Do you get a refund?  Future cruise credit?  I am just wondering what the chances are that they will cancel cruises all together.  No ports = no real cruise.  

Missed ports = refund of port fees and taxes associated with that port.  Carnival is not obligated to do any more, though they often (not always) will.

Travel insurance may give reimbursement for missed ports.  Depending on the policy, and it's terms.

10 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Missed ports = refund of port fees and taxes associated with that port.  Carnival is not obligated to do any more, though they often (not always) will.

Travel insurance may give reimbursement for missed ports.  Depending on the policy, and it's terms.

Somehow I have Carnival's insurance on me but not the other three in my party.  I don't know why it didn't add it to everyone.  I didn't know if it would cover that or not.  Any recommendations on travel insurance since it doesn't seem I can add insurance on the other 3 now?

4 hours ago, E@syPe@zy said:

I'll be on the Vista this Saturday.  I'm not stressed about it, but it will be in my thoughts.  I guess we will see how the islands handle it.  

We're cruising this Saturday too.  I talked with my husband today and his attitude was might as well go while we can.  What if there ends up being an outbreak here soon and we aren't able to travel.  We're coming to the states from Canada.  

We also lived through SARS living in the epicenter that was it for Canada.  Just be smart.  Wash your hands and don't aimlessly touch things.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruizdude said:

We are sailing this coming weekend as well. I previously was not worried until i saw the MSC was being turned away from Jamaica and GC. Hopefully all goes well and it gets off dock, I just want to be out here for a week.

MSC Meraviglia was just denied porting at Cozumel as well.  For the record, there is no coronavirus on the ship, the crew member in question has the common flu and has not been in any quarantined region during the quarantine period

This situation is going to get really messy in the Caribbean if these islands are going to start locking down their ports for cases of influenza.

Statement On MSC Meraviglia's West Caribbean Cruise This Week

2/26/2020

MSC Cruises is extremely disappointed that Jamaican authorities yesterday delayed a decision for many hours to give our ship the necessary clearance to disembark guests, despite us having provided detailed medical records to the local health and national authorities ahead of its arrival as per normal protocol.

Similarly, the decision taken overnight by the Grand Cayman authorities to refuse disembarkation at Georgetown was made without even reviewing the ship’s medical records, which show one single case of common seasonal flu (type A influenza) affecting one crew member with a travel history clearly showing no passages through territories either affected by COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or subject to any international health restrictions. In both instances, the ship was effectively turned away simply based on fears.

MSC Meraviglia is currently at sea on her way to Cozumel, Mexico, her next scheduled port of call. Ship’s command and Company’s management are in contact with local health authorities to ensure that their decision will be based on a factual review of the ship’s medical records, as well as consideration for the pre-embarkation screening and on board medical and deep sanitation protocols that are in place across MSC Cruises’ entire fleet.

All MSC Meraviglia’s guests and crew have been screened individually upon embarkation, both in terms of their travel history as well as their health. MSC Cruises denies embarkation to anyone – crew and guest alike – who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, as well as to people who during the past 14 days have travelled to, from or through any of the municipalities that are subject to quarantine in central northern Italy. In addition to this, all MSC Cruises ships also conduct individual pre-boarding screening by thermal cameras to identify guests or crew members with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing. This will also result in denied embarkation.

The crewmember who was diagnosed with common seasonal flu is in a stable condition, receiving anti-viral treatment and medication, and is now free of fever and nearly recovered. Out of precaution he was isolated from other crew members and guests from the moment that he showed symptoms and will remain so until he is fully recovered. No other cases of type A influenza have been reported on board MSC Meraviglia.

Moreover, no cases of COVID-19 virus (Coronavirus) have been reported on board MSC Meraviglia or any other ship in MSC Cruises’ fleet.

MSC Cruises apologizes for any inconvenience caused and the disappointment to its guests in connection with the missed calls in Ocho Rios and Georgetown this week.

MSC Cruises’ statement : 25/2/2020, 10 pm CET

As is standard practice when a vessel approaches each port of call during a cruise, the ship’s command has to report any illness on board to the relevant local health authorities. Upon arrival this morning MSC Meraviglia reported one single case of common seasonal flu (type A influenza) affecting a crew member from the Philippines.

The crew member had embarked at the beginning of the cruise in Miami, after passing the mandatory health screening that all our guests and crew members receive before joining the cruise, a precautionary measure that we have implemented fleetwide.

The local port health authority in Ocho Rios today requested further guidance from the National Ministry of Health in Jamaica’s capital of Kingston. After waiting in port for nearly four hours for formal clearance, ship’s command decided to leave Ocho Rios for the next port of call as the long wait had compromised the passengers’ proposed time at the destination.

All MSC Meraviglia’s guests and crew have been screened individually upon embarkation, both in terms of their travel history as well as their health. MSC Cruises denies embarkation to anyone – crew and guest alike – who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, as well as to people who during the past 14 days have travelled to, from or through any of the municipalities that are subject to quarantine in central northern Italy. In addition to this, all MSC Cruises ships also conduct individual pre-boarding screening by thermal cameras to identify guests or crew members with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing. This will also result in denied embarkation.

The crew member had travelled to Miami from Manila, via direct connection in Istanbul. He developed symptoms of common flu and tested positive to type A influenza after he visited the ship’s 24/7 Medical Centre while already on board. He has no other symptoms.  

• Like 1

Very unfortunate, most likely the cruise companies will continue to load passengers with uncertainty as to whether or not they will get to stop at any ports. For us consumers we do not have much choice, as we have paid for flights, hotels, transfers etc.  Sort of a double edge sword, a cruise to nowhere is better than taking a significant hit in lost purchases that will not refund your money.  What do ya do!?

1 minute ago, Beardface said:

MSC Meraviglia was just denied porting at Cozumel as well.  For the record, there is no coronavirus on the ship, the crew member in question has the common flu and has not been in any quarantined region during the quarantine period

This situation is going to get really messy in the Caribbean if these islands are going to start locking down their ports for cases of influenza.

Yes.  This is chilling news.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hawkeye93 said:

We are on Vista in May and I’m watching this closely also. I’m not concerned about getting the virus but I’m concerned about a potential quarantine on a ship (lost wages, etc) and closure of ports. I think the next 2 weeks will be very telling. Good luck to us both!

5 hours ago, hawkeye93 said:

We are on Vista in May and I’m watching this closely also. I’m not concerned about getting the virus but I’m concerned about a potential quarantine on a ship (lost wages, etc) and closure of ports. I think the next 2 weeks will be very telling. Good luck to us both!

I normally would not worry about it, the hubby I and would go as long as the cruise is not cancelled. My daughter and SIL will make the decision for their family, doesn’t matter who paid for the cruise.

My circumstances are complicated too as my mom is 90 and even though she lives in an assisted living facility she is very dependent on me. I booked the cruise almost a year in advance but I haven’t told her about it yet and I can’t even imagine how badly she would react if our ship was quarantined and we were stuck out there for an indefinite period of time. Plus, she is definitely on the high risk list so I certainly don’t want any risk of bringing the virus back to her, I could take down the whole facility she lives in. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I guess we just have to ride it out the next month and keep as informed as possible. I have good trip insurance but I greatly doubt this situation is covered. It would normally be better than Carnival’s insurance because the medical and emergency evacuation coverage is really good and Carnival’s wasn’t. I would really appreciate having the cancel for any reason 75% Carnival cruise credit in my back pocket right now. I  thought I had all my bases covered, possible pandemics were not on my radar in early December when I purchased the insurance.   

3 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

I normally would not worry about it, the hubby I and would go as long as the cruise is not cancelled. My daughter and SIL will make the decision for their family, doesn’t matter who paid for the cruise.

My circumstances are complicated too as my mom is 90 and even though she lives in an assisted living facility she is very dependent on me. I booked the cruise almost a year in advance but I haven’t told her about it yet and I can’t even imagine how badly she would react if our ship was quarantined and we were stuck out there for an indefinite period of time. Plus, she is definitely on the high risk list so I certainly don’t want any risk of bringing the virus back to her, I could take down the whole facility she lives in. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I guess we just have to ride it out the next month and keep as informed as possible. I have good trip insurance but I greatly doubt this situation is covered. It would normally be better than Carnival’s insurance because the medical and emergency evacuation coverage is really good and Carnival’s wasn’t. I would really appreciate having the cancel for any reason 75% Carnival cruise credit in my back pocket right now. I  thought I had all my bases covered, possible pandemics were not on my radar in early December when I purchased the insurance.   

Does your insurance cover pandemic?

If MSC is telling the truth that the crew member has the flu, then these Caribbean islands might as well stop letting any ships dock. That simple. But maybe there is more to this.

As for me, I don’t cruise for the ports so while it wouldn’t be my first choice, a week cruising around the sea is still fun.

• Like 2

I am not sure jimbo5544, will be going over my policy with a fine tooth comb tonight. Maybe if there is a pandemic officially declared then I could cancel and be reimbursed? I will feel a lot better if that is in there. I will report back what I find out, will probably call the insurance company also. 

This is our first cruise after a 12 year break,  we are taking our daughter and her family as a gift for her 4Oth birthday which will happen during the cruise.  The hubby and are freshly retired and while safety comes first it would be quite a hit to lose all the money we have invested in this trip and not be able to go. 

We sail Saturday on the Magic and I thought we were in the clear until I read about MSC not able to port.  Oh well, it'll be what it will be.  An eight day cruise to nowhere beats the heck out of a week at work 😁  We have travel insurance, but I haven't read the fine print.  We won't cancel on our own and the rest is out of our control.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

If MSC is telling the truth that the crew member has the flu, then these Caribbean islands might as well stop letting any ships dock. That simple. But maybe there is more to this.

As for me, I don’t cruise for the ports so while it wouldn’t be my first choice, a week cruising around the sea is still fun.

^^^ This is exactly the situation I worried about when the Caribbean Princess was being denied port stops in the Caribbean because of FEAR.  We, and, I'd bet, a majority of cruisers cruise for ports.  Otherwise, why not just book a resort or all-inclusive somewhere?  The point of a cruise for many is to explore new ports and new locales and new cultures.

I do not know of a single cruiseline that sells 7 day cruises to nowhere.  Add to that -  a cruise to nowhere + the risk of catching a virus and/or of being quarantined for 2 weeks.  This is a huge problem that was absolutely foreseeable as soon as the Caribbean Princess and other ships were denied port stops.

We still have a little under 3 weeks to decide, and 2 cruises on our ship before we have to make that decision.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

^^^ This is exactly the situation I worried about when the Caribbean Princess was being denied port stops in the Caribbean because of FEAR.  We, and, I'd bet, a majority of cruisers cruise for ports.  Otherwise, why not just book a resort or all-inclusive somewhere?  The point of a cruise for many is to explore new ports and new locales and new cultures.

I do not know of a single cruiseline that sells 7 day cruises to nowhere.  Add to that -  a cruise to nowhere + the risk of catching a virus and/or of being quarantined for 2 weeks.  This is a huge problem that was absolutely foreseeable as soon as the Caribbean Princess and other ships were denied port stops.

We still have a little under 3 weeks to decide, and 2 cruises on our ship before we have to make that decision.

Yes, I realize I’m in the minority about the ports in terms of not caring.

But if it turns out that the MSC was turned away for the flu, then I hope these islands re-think their approach. Because if this story is true the way MSC is telling it, the islands are being stupid. Again, unless they just say....no more ships at all. Because denying port for one case of the flu makes no sense. We will see.

But I’m still solidly in the camp that unless my March and April Caribbean cruises are canceled, I’m on that ship.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 1

I am not sure jimbo5544, will be going over my policy with a fine tooth comb tonight. Maybe if there is a pandemic officially declared then I could cancel and be reimbursed? I will feel a lot better if that is in there. I will report back what I find out, will probably call the insurance company also. 

This is our first cruise after a 12 year break,  we are taking our daughter and her family as a gift for her 4Oth birthday which will happen during the cruise.  The hubby and are freshly retired and while safety comes first it would be quite a hit to lose all the money we have invested in this trip and not be able to go. 

You also might check with your credit card benefits. I called mine today and they are telling me they will cover the non-refundable portion from carnival. I haven’t pushed to get a supervisor to confirm bc I’m not canceling yet, but it might be something to keep in the back of your mind.

Yes, I realize I’m in the minority about the ports in terms of not caring.

But if it turns out that the MSC was turned away for the flu, then I hope these islands re-think their approach. Because if this story is true the way MSC is telling it, the islands are being stupid. Again, unless they just say....no more ships at all. Because denying port for one case of the flu makes no sense. We will see.

But I’m still solidly in the camp that unless my March and April Caribbean cruises are canceled, I’m on that ship.

This made me wonder about the testing process. Does every cruise ship now have test kits on board? And what happens— they send the swabs to Atlanta? Which will take how long? When and where was this crew member tested? The San Antonio quarantine people waited 4 days for results.

• Like 1