CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

The U.S. announced today that once off the ship, they will have to undergo a 14 day quarantine in Japan before returning to the US.

Do you have a link for this? I’ve seen nothing about a quarantine— only a 14 day travel restriction prior to returning to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just our opinion, not experts,,,

From what I watched, the people on the ship stated they couldn't remain together if one is found infected. And that worried them.

The infected person was taken off the ship.

I'd agree with others, getting off the ship as soon as possible into a 14 day quarantine would've been our choice as soon as it was offered!

Another reason to get off that ship ASAP,  they still don't know how this bug spreads, maybe it gets passed through the AC/Heat ventilation!

On 2/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, jimbo5544 said:

I do not disagree, and I think they were given those quality masks.  What I do not know is how many Americans stayed on the ship.  There could also be other reasons, ie a loved one who tested positive and is remaining there for treatment.  Not a good situation.  

They said about 300 americans out of 409 were evacuated. Some choose not to go to the 14 day barracks quarantine and said so. I dont remember the exact numbers. Sure some had the virus or as you said could be a loved one, but some just said no obviously. 

Getting cruise fever and wanting to cruise just talking about it. Guess I'm hard core. I shouldn't go. Watching prices 2 weeks or so from now still. Got some stuff to do next 2 weeks. I hope some more cancel. I'm ready to go.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, pe4all said:

I believe the total is now 4.

And this morning, Jamaican officials are refusing entry to an MSC ship because of Corona Virus fears.  I posted a link to an article about it in another thread.

It’ll be interesting to see how islands handle these situations going forward (Someone on the ship is exhibiting respiratory symptoms) if this MSC turns out to be another false alarm. I get the caution. But I also get the economics of their islands.

Just a tough situation to be in for them.

43 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

It’ll be interesting to see how islands handle these situations going forward (Someone on the ship is exhibiting respiratory symptoms) if this MSC turns out to be another false alarm. I get the caution. But I also get the economics of their islands.

On the a story I saw about the MSC ship they said the crew member tested positive for the flu, which is good news. (As opposed to coronavirus at least)

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

It doesn't matter if the MSC case is a false alarm.  Same thing happened when there was Noro on the Caribbean Princess in the last week or two and they were denied port stops and the ship returned to Florida early.  The Fear is the thing that will close ports even if the virus does not.

Every nation is freaked out about the Corona Virus and the truth is that these islands rely on tourist dollars.  I think they are afraid that IF someone is infected on board, they could have spread it to one or hundreds of others on a cruise -- and all those people would then be mixing with the island population.  

It probably makes them feel more in control checking tourist arrivals by flight.  Although since this virus can be transmitted while asymptomatic, in a global economy, I think it's just a matter of time everywhere.

• Like 1

Just now, SunNFunCruzer said:

It doesn't matter if the MSC case is a false alarm.  Same thing happened when there was Noro on the Caribbean Princess in the last week or two and they were denied port stops and the ship returned to Florida early.  The Fear is the thing that will close ports even if the virus does not.

Every nation is freaked out about the Corona Virus and the truth is that these islands rely on tourist dollars.  I think they are afraid that IF someone is infected on board, they could have spread it to one or hundreds of others on a cruise -- and all those people would then be mixing with the island population.  

It probably makes them feel more in control checking tourist arrivals by flight.  Although since this virus can be transmitted while asymptomatic, in a global economy, I think it's just a matter of time everywhere.

I think false positives matter. I’m sure these islands know how much money they lose when denying ships. If the MSC had no corona virus, I’m guessing there will be people in Jamaica pissed off that the MSC wasn’t able to dock. If false positives rack up, it may add pressure to let things slide in future situations where maybe caution would have been better.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

I think false positives matter. I’m sure these islands know how much money they lose when denying ships. If the MSC had no corona virus, I’m guessing there will be people in Jamaica pissed off that the MSC wasn’t able to dock. If false positives rack up, it may add pressure to let things slide in future situations where maybe caution would have been better.

Certainly does not help, that said, islands are walking a tightrope of revenue vs protecting their isolation from outside infection to their people. There is no winner here.  Isolation can delay the onset, but not contain it.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Certainly does not help, that said, islands are walking a tightrope of revenue vs protecting their isolation from outside infection to their people. There is no winner here.  Isolation can delay the onset, but not contain it.

Agree. It’s hard to no where to draw that line. I have no idea on what information Jamaica made their decision. But if it was because a crew member tested positive for flu, and that’s it, they might as well just close down their port now.

I don’t have the answer. Do islands wait until there is an actual corona case on a ship? Or do they wait until X% of passengers are showing symptoms? No clue.

But I don’t worry about it. If my cruise is going, I’ll be on the ship. If they cancel it, I won’t.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Agree. It’s hard to no where to draw that line. I have no idea on what information Jamaica made their decision. But if it was because a crew member tested positive for flu, and that’s it, they might as well just close down their port now.

I don’t have the answer. Do islands wait until there is an actual corona case on a ship? Or do they wait until X% of passengers are showing symptoms? No clue.

But I don’t worry about it. If my cruise is going, I’ll be on the ship. If they cancel it, I won’t.

I have no idea, but think they are relying on cruise lines telling them as they approach port in response to questions.   Early on like this, it could be confusion.  Doubt they want to stop ships with regular flu symptoms, but who knows.

• Like 1

Just reported that Grand Cayman is turning away the same MSC ship from it's port tomorrow.  Seems a second crew member is unwell.

Another Caribbean cruise to nowhere as of today (just like the Caribbean Princess).... not sure it's going to get better before we cruise on March 15th... this is exactly the scenario that we were afraid of.

1 minute ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Just reported that Grand Cayman is turning away the same MSC ship from it's port tomorrow.  Seems a second crew member is unwell.

Another Caribbean cruise to nowhere as of today (just like the Caribbean Princess).... not sure it's going to get better before we cruise on March 15th... this is exactly the scenario that we were afraid of.

Do you have a source for that? A link? I'd like to read that report/article. 

Now is the time to start posting links to any claim, like above. This is much to serious an event(s) to be saying things without substantiation. This is how unfounded rumors are started. No insult intended SunNFunCruzer, I hope you understand. 

3 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Do you have a source for that? A link? I'd like to read that report/article. 

Now is the time to start posting links to any claim, like above. This is much to serious an event(s) to be saying things without substantiation. This is how unfounded rumors are started. No insult intended SunNFunCruzer, I hope you understand. 

Sure.  And please share any new information you have:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article240620172.html

Edit to add a second source:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/travel/cruise-ship-corona.html

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

2 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article240620172.html

Many thanks for that! But....to access the article you have to be a subscriber, which I am not. Perhaps there are more similar articles out there that don't require a subscription. Thanks for the lead. 

I was able to access the link to the Miami Herald article. It was very informative, thanks for posting! I am scheduled to sail the Vista April 4th. We are taking our daughter SIL and 6 year old grandson so I am keeping a close eye  on the Coronavirus situation.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Edit to add a second source:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/travel/cruise-ship-corona.html

Thank you S.NFC! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. It's not good news by any means, but it is reliable news.

Good, reliable and verifiable information is what is needed in a condition that we find ourselves in. Thank you.

• Like 1

I was able to access the link to the Miami Herald article. It was very informative, thanks for posting! I am scheduled to sail the Vista April 4th. We are taking our daughter SIL and 6 year old grandson so I am keeping a close eye  on the Coronavirus situation.  

We are on Vista in May and I’m watching this closely also. I’m not concerned about getting the virus but I’m concerned about a potential quarantine on a ship (lost wages, etc) and closure of ports. I think the next 2 weeks will be very telling. Good luck to us both!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

We are on Vista in May and I’m watching this closely also. I’m not concerned about getting the virus but I’m concerned about a potential quarantine on a ship (lost wages, etc) and closure of ports. I think the next 2 weeks will be very telling. Good luck to us both!

We leave Friday, and it’s a little stressful. More stressful than normal. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing all these reputable articles. The fact that this can be spread when asymptotic is so very different than what we are used to. I also do not understand why *everyone* in quarantine from Diamond Princess would not be tested prior to the end of the quarantine. Am I alone in thinking that should be mandatory? 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

We sail at the end of March.  My concerns are the same as yours, especially the fear of being quarantined.

Apparently others are also concerned.  There have been some large price drops recently on this sailing, the first on January 30.

• Like 1