Tidal Wave Waterslide Injury Liberty of the Seas

Zaaddough

I was injured riding the Tidal Wave water slide on RCCL Liberty of the Seas. I spoke with the Chief Safety Officer on board and he said it is a known problem. He told me about the exact same injury happening to another woman a few cruises before mine.  He said that he is trying to get approval to add a cushion to the bottom of the inner tubes used on the slide. He also said in investigating the problem that the lifeguards say it happens a lot.  I guess not many people bother reporting it? I thought I'd check here to see if others have had a similar experience. 

What was the injury? It "hurts" my wife's butt most times she rides it. Nothing serious though. My biggest fear on it is hitting the center post in the middle of the bottom.

There is a reason it isn't being installed on other ships and took like 6 months to originally open.

7 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

What was the injury? It "hurts" my wife's butt most times she rides it. Nothing serious though. My biggest fear on it is hitting the center post in the middle of the bottom.

There is a reason it isn't being installed on other ships and took like 6 months to originally open.

Badly bruised tailbone. It's always the smallest person riding in the front.  There is no padding in the bottom of the inner tube and they load the front passenger with crossed legs so that you sink all the way tot he bottom of the inner tube. Lifeguards say they see folks rubbing their butts when they get off all the time. 

Sounds

5 minutes ago, Zaaddough said:

Badly bruised tailbone. It's always the smallest person riding in the front.  There is no padding in the bottom of the inner tube and they load the front passenger with crossed legs so that you sink all the way tot he bottom of the inner tube. Lifeguards say they see folks rubbing their butts when they get off all the time. 

Sounds like what happens to my wife, just worse. They need bottoms on the tubes like you say. I think they run over something right before the drop that people hit.

In the meantime time, they should be telling people to keep their butts up.

30 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’m shocked that they admitted openly that it’s a known issue.  Kind of opens them up for civil action.

Indeed.  I was very surprised by how frank the officer on board was.  Mainly I hope they expedite correcting the problem, assuming all heals well.  Since the injury I've heard from friends who had tailbone injuries that bothered them for years. 

4 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

Sounds

Sounds like what happens to my wife, just worse. They need bottoms on the tubes like you say. I think they run over something right before the drop that people hit.

In the meantime time, they should be telling people to keep their butts up.

Just physics at the bottom of the drop. I used to could ride with my legs extended and bum on inflated part of tube. Not anymore. I lift my bum up because I have bottomed out on other water park rides.

Edited by Junkhouse

Sorry to hear about your injury and hope it heals quickly. 

I've ridden that slide dozens of times without incident. In fact, it's the thrill/fear of flying off the edge & into the deep ocean that makes it the best & only slide worth riding on Liberty.

Note: I've always been in the back of the tube. Leaned way back and kept my butt off the bottom for even more speed. I've sworn my feet grazed the top part of the slide more than once.

As for lawsuits, I'm sure there is some legal mumbo-jumbo protecting Royal from litigation in the signs at the stairway entrance. But who reads those? 😉

Edited by HBE4

5 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Don't you have to sign a waiver before doing these things?

Nope. At least, not yet.

Just step on a scale to make sure you and your riding partners combined weight does not exceed the maximum allowed.

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’m shocked that they admitted openly that it’s a known issue.  Kind of opens them up for civil action.

I guess it kind of depends on the severity of the injuries.  If it is a small bruise or something, it is inconsequential.  If we are talking broken bones or cuts due to sharp edges, I am sure it would be address fairly quickly.

37 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

Just physics at the bottom of the drop. I used to could ride with my legs extended and bum on inflated part of tube. Not anymore. I lift my bum up because I have bottomed out on other water park rides.

They make you cross your legs as a front passenger because people have broken their legs. Butts up is always a rule with inner tubes, but they make sure the front passenger is sunk all the way the the bottom. Can't believe this thing doesn't require a waiver!

29 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Don't you have to sign a waiver before doing these things?

Honestly, I rode it because there wasn't a waiver.  I figured that meant it was a safe activity. Afterwards I found out about the broken legs and bruised/broken tailbones. 

19 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I guess it kind of depends on the severity of the injuries.  If it is a small bruise or something, it is inconsequential.  If we are talking broken bones or cuts due to sharp edges, I am sure it would be address fairly quickly.

I agree but it seems to be bruised tailbones which while not broken can in many ways be more of an inconvenience. 

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I agree but it seems to be bruised tailbones which while not broken can in many ways be more of an inconvenience. 

True.  People can also bruise their tailbone slipping on a wet pool deck, falling down the stairs or getting to enthusiastic while playing The Quest.  I hope I don't need to sign a wavier to use the staircase.

• Like 1

The comment by the original poster about the bruised tailbone came up after I had typed my comment, so  I did not know what the specific injury was.  We have been on many waterslides where similar injuries like a bruised tailbone has occurred.  The worst is the back support on the water rollercoaster type ride at Kalahari in Sandusky.  They wanted to take my daughter to the hospital because she was in such bad pain after riding it.  They told me that it happens all the time.  They have never fixed the problem there and we just avoid that ride when we go there now.

• Like 1

x-ray onboard was inconclusive if it was broken or not. The healing time will be the determining factor. Normally a long distance runner, I cannot exercise at all for at least a month more per the orthopedic doctor I saw on land.  Really messes up the plans for my 35th anniversary to run a half marathon with my hubby in seven weeks. 

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

As for lawsuits, I'm sure there is some legal mumbo-jumbo protecting Royal from litigation in the signs at the stairway entrance. But who reads those? 😉

Signs or not, there is a huge difference between a pissible injury and a pattern of frequent same injury. The first is a know possible risk that someone accepts. Not responding to the second sounds to me like negligence. That is a nasty word. But, hey what do I know, I'm a physician not a lawyer.

• 3 years later...
Posted (edited)

At least that slide is fun! The colorful tube water slide was really, really lame. Everyone gets stuck partway down and you have to pull yourself along for a while before you can get to the bottom. It just needs to be steeper.

My two sons-in-law agreed that it was terrible, so they told my two daughters, "That's awesome! You have to try it!" When my daughters got off of it, they said, "YOU are a LIAR!" while all of them laughed.

It was so obvious that it was terrible that it was hilarious to suggest that it was great.

Edited by bigclue

1 hour ago, bigclue said:

At least that slide is fun! The colorful tube water slide was really, really lame. Everyone gets stuck partway down and you have to pull yourself along for a while before you can get to the bottom. It just needs to be steeper.

My two sons-in-law agreed that it was terrible, so they told my two daughters, "That's awesome! You have to try it!" When my daughters got off of it, they said, "YOU are a LIAR!" while all of them laughed.

It was so obvious that it was terrible that it was hilarious to suggest that it was great.

Yeah, the Perfect Storm waterslides on Liberty are very slow.  Much better on Adventure and Voyager.