Anthem of the seas 1-27-2020. What a mess

I try to make my judgement as though i was the victim so to speak. All the people that want to be the cheerleader was not on this sailing and could give a ***** less.maybe had you been the color of the rose colored glasses would of changed.

i don’t care how you draw the picture RC turned 5000 people loose on the streets knowing full well there was some sort of questionable death and illnesses.just think for a moment if it something serious, now you have this spread everywhere. Apparently something in hindsight scared RC enough to delay, delay, delay the next cruise. 

Again it floors me if you are not the one in a situation you become a lawyer, CDC, health care provider, nutritionist, psychiatrist, well you get it. Yet the same crowd that wants to fight an original poster would scream like a baby if they walked in those ill fitting shoes.

OK flame away, want change my opinion.

just for a moment think if you find out the dead crew member was your cabin Stewart and he had some communicable illness and you had constant contact.  Would something be nice to know so you can take precaution. 

54 minutes ago, LEtue said:

I may have missed something somewhere but.......

After reading many posts on different threads I keep wondering if these same people that test negative now could test positive later?  With a known incubation period can the test determine that a person won't get the virus at all?  And wouldn't all passengers have to be tested?

Seems I read somewhere that people may not show symptoms at all but can be contagious.  Isn't that why the passengers on the Diamond Princess are being quarantined for 14 days?  

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This post makes to much sense to defy logic.  No one can understand what the CDC or Royal Caribbean is thinking. Pretty much fly by the seat of your pants on this one.

I believe the 14 days may now be up from when the cruiser in question  left China and could have had a potential exposure.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

I try to make my judgement as though i was the victim so to speak. All the people that want to be the cheerleader was not on this sailing and could give a ***** less.maybe had you been the color of the rose colored glasses would of changed.

i don’t care how you draw the picture RC turned 5000 people loose on the streets knowing full well there was some sort of questionable death and illnesses.just think for a moment if it something serious, now you have this spread everywhere. Apparently something in hindsight scared RC enough to delay, delay, delay the next cruise. 

Again it floors me if you are not the one in a situation you become a lawyer, CDC, health care provider, nutritionist, psychiatrist, well you get it. Yet the same crowd that wants to fight an original poster would scream like a baby if they walked in those ill fitting shoes.

OK flame away, want change my opinion.

just for a moment think if you find out the dead crew member was your cabin Stewart and he had some communicable illness and you had constant contact.  Would something be nice to know so you can take precaution. 

Since you have most everyone on blast, what is the answer?  Quarantine the ship until the tests results are known?

On that note, American gov’t officials knew the potential risks and let guests depart. I have not seen a report of how the crew member passed. The government officials would have a much better idea through communication with RC, than we the public and the press.  Governments in other parts of the world have stopped guests from departing during this health outbreak, I am fairly certain the US government has the ability to do the same. (tongue in cheek font). 

Either way RC is damned in the eyes of some, if they are held back on board or released.  However, if government officials were uncomfortable with the situation they could have stopped everything and instituted their own plan.  They are taking this seriously and can dictate pretty much anything they want. 

As it stands this is the update from my Provincial MOH at the end of yesterday. 

Situation Report #15: 2019-nCoV (Novel Coronavirus) - February 8, 2020

Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch                                               

Situation:

• Updated case counts as of February 8, 2020:
    • China: 34,598 cases; 723 deaths
    • Asia & Oceania: 285 cases; 2 deaths (Philippines, Hong Kong)
    • Europe: 37 cases
    • Middle East: 7 cases
    • North America: United States (12 cases), Canada (7 cases)
  • In Ontario, there are 18 persons under investigation with lab results pending.
  • No new countries reported cases of 2019-nCoV in the past 24 hours.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LEtue said:

I may have missed something somewhere but.......

After reading many posts on different threads I keep wondering if these same people that test negative now could test positive later?  With a known incubation period can the test determine that a person won't get the virus at all?  And wouldn't all passengers have to be tested?

Seems I read somewhere that people may not show symptoms at all but can be contagious.  Isn't that why the passengers on the Diamond Princess are being quarantined for 14 days? 

Anthem was at sea for 11 days - 12 if you count embarkation day.  Even if someone flew direct from China (add another day minimum) and got on board, they would have been at the very end of the 14 day incubation period.  So far, only 1 person tested positive for a plan old regular flu. Hence, it was considered a "low-risk" situation.

Diamond Princess has 60-70+ confirmed case of Corona which put everyone in the high risk category.

I do feel for the OP. His concerns are valid and I'd feel the same way as well.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

i don’t care how you draw the picture RC turned 5000 people loose on the streets knowing full well there was some sort of questionable death and illnesses

The CDC gave Royal the clearance to debark the passengers.  it was not something Royal did on their own.

The crew member was found in the engine room.  I highly doubt that he was a cabin steward

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The CDC gave Royal the clearance to debark the passengers.  it was not something Royal did on their own.

The crew member was found in the engine room.  I highly doubt that he was a cabin steward

And if it was an infectious disease that got him he likely would have been ill for several days prior to death and too sick to work cleaning cabins or in the engine room.

• Like 4

I was on this sailing. I was not worried about getting anything but the flu or a cold from all the rude, unhygienic coughing people. Washy, Washy is the best way to prevent spreading the illness, no matter what it is. Not sure if the Corona can make it through air vents, so if it can it would not matter is you stayed in a room or not.

As a nurse, washing hands and not touching your face can help stop the spread of any illness.

I do also want to say it would have been nice to know what was going on prior to all the hype we encountered, but happy it had a good outcome for not only the passengers, but the sick guests as well.

Happy cruising!

• Like 4

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

You may have been keeping up with the news and many of you may have had some concerns about how your cruise ended and whether to get tested for the coronavirus. Before you book that checkup, we have some good news to share with you.

Late last night, we were advised by the New Jersey Health Authority that they received the results from CDC, and the 4 individuals tested negative for novel coronavirus. Although our thoughts are with them and we do hope they feel better soon, we are extremely relieved by this news and hope it brings you some peace of mind. 

As always, our top priority is your health, safety, and wellbeing, and that of our crew. We would never put you at risk, especially when it comes to something as serious as your health. We’ve taken, and will continue to take, many precautions to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit. And, we remain in close contact with the CDC, WHO, & other health officials to ensure we are aligned with their new protocols, plus changes in various countries’ requirements and regulations.

We are sorry for this unexpected situation and thank you for understanding. We hope to welcome you onboard one of our ships under different circumstances very soon. In the meantime, we hope this situation diffuses quickly and wish you good health.

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who thinks Royal Caribbean made the decision of letting everyone off the ship is mistaken. This was reported to CDC and they made the ultimate decision. 
I am also sure that is all 4500 people had been told that they were being quarantined at that point there would have been a mass riot. 
As I have said - not sure what Royal could have done to make this better in real time. I was also not on this ship (well I was but on the sailing before this), but don’t think this was handled in such a bad way. I feel worse for the people who thought they were going on a vacation this week 

• Like 3

If people are going to start relying on experts to make the decisions, and start suggesting everyone rely on facts rather than rumors, CC might go out of business.

More seriously, a question for the people who are so concerned about RC allowing people to depart, and who seem to have wanted to be quarantined in their cabins the moment any sickness appeared on board:  Did you go off the ship at any port? Eat anything, have a drink, exchange money? Couldn't somebody in port have been exposed by scores of untracked/untrackable people in the past 14 days?  How are your decisions any different than the CDC's?

All travel decisions involve an assessment of risk, don't they, as well as an awareness that some information is missing? And when the risk is extremely low, life has to go on.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3

On 2/9/2020 at 12:09 PM, Stick93 said:

I am also sure that is all 4500 people had been told that they were being quarantined at that point there would have been a mass riot. 

I think THIS is one of the differences between what is happening on the Diamond Princess and what happened with the Anthem in Bayonne.  Not having a confirmed case mattered but I think geography also mattered.

I'd imagine a cruise out of Jersey has a lot of people from the tri-state area. This is not a population that is easy to control or that takes "No" for an answer.  Does anyone really think you wouldn't have people jumping from somewhere on deck/off a balcony in to the water to get off a quarantined ship in Jersey?  Could the army/national guard get there fast enough to prevent this? 

Not only are the passengers on the Diamond at risk of actually being sick and then needing the government or health care industry's help, but they are in Japan... jumping ship would be so much riskier than jumping in US Waters.  This does not mean that anyone would successfully escape from the Anthem, but I think this particular population would be almost impossible to fully control in Jersey (and American laws offer American's a lot of protections - look up habeas corpus).  So with low risk for illness and high risk for mayhem, I believe someone made the decision to roll the dice and release.

You can follow what's going on on the Diamond Princess at the link below:

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 1