Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

11 hours ago, pmcl said:

If we accept the Cunard offer to cancel, with partial refund and the rest in FCC, our travel agency will impose a hefty $300 fee pp.

In the current circumstances, this would be unconscionable.
Your TA should expect flaming torches at midnight!

• Like 1

My excellent T/A just forwarded me a copy of my confirmation showing $600 more in OBC for my July 22 sailing on QM2 from Hamburg. With the new approach allowing me to cancel up to 48 hours before departure (I will know long before that, I am sure) and get cash or FCD for the full amount I paid.  I am going to go ahead and pay my full amount due week after next. I already have a voyage booked for 2021 and my T/A confirmed with Cunard that I can apply any FCD that might come from a late cancellation on that crossing. 

4 hours ago, juicyjuju said:

Canada has closed ports until July. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-covid-19-1.5496367

I was going to cancel my May San Francisco to Vancouver cruise but it looks like Cunard will be canceling me.

Hi, 

I am booked on this cruise, too. I had reserved a Queens Grill stateroom (a first for me). I was hoping that the situation would improve by the end of May.

Chuck  

Edited by seacruise9

6 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I am booked on this cruise, too. I had reserved a Queens Grill stateroom (a first for me). I was hoping that the situation would improve by the end of May.

Chuck  

Have you had any communication from Cunard? I haven't

7 minutes ago, juicyjuju said:

Have you had any communication from Cunard? I haven't

Hi,

I haven't received any communication from Cunard regarding the Queen Elizabeth's Pacific Coastal cruise for late May. Of course, the announcement was very recent. It probably will take a few days to hear from Cunard.

I also am booked on the Queen Victoria for a Northern European cruise that is scheduled to depart from Southampton on April 26. I recently received communication from Cunard concerning this cruise.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

10 hours ago, bodsfanclub said:

Wait until the beginning of June. If things pan out then you can pay and go. If they dont you can cancel or transfer the deposit into a FCC to a later date. If you pay and then Cunard cancel they will refund you. If you pay and the situation is such that things are no better or god forbid worse, Cunard will turn the money into FCC and you can put it towards a future cruise. If you are of a nervous disposition or feel you are in an at risk group then again, wait until the beginning of June and make a decision then. A lot can change in several months.

We sail on 21 June on QM2. Thats three months away. We  intend to sail but if Cunard postpone or cancel we have a back up plan to transfer to a voyage in September. 

If you are booked through a reputable travel agent, you should not worry. ABTA protection. If you are booked and paid on a credit card, again, protection from the worst case scenario.

My personal feeling is this:-

The virus is here to stay possibly for ever. Immunity will build up to it over time. It may well turn into a seasonal thing - CMO said so this am in the UK. Strains will get isolated and vaccines will come on stream. It may take some months/years. So, what to do? You can put your life on hold or you can get out there and live it. We are hand washing, keeping an eye on our elderly relatives and carrying on as normal. That includes taking holidays. 

But the most important thing is do what you feel comfortable with. 

Stay safe and keep healthy!

I'm not necessarily advocating this, but in theory, one solution is, like chicken pox for children, if otherwise healthy, expose oneself to the virus, be ill for a few days and then be immune to future waves. I confess, I've not heard anyone advocate this, so perhaps its a bit too risky!

49 minutes ago, Canuker said:

I'm not necessarily advocating this, but in theory, one solution is, like chicken pox for children, if otherwise healthy, expose oneself to the virus, be ill for a few days and then be immune to future waves. I confess, I've not heard anyone advocate this, so perhaps its a bit too risky!

Nobody knows what, if any, ongoing immunity will follow getting sick with covid-19. 

Question:

Will a doctors note be held against you in the future when this corona thing works itself out? 

And how would it work. I am in my very earlier 40s in perfect health so far as I am aware 😈 My father is the lead name, he is 81 and type 2 tablet diabetic so maybe a doctors note would cover him to a full refund but not me? And if he is not fit now maybe he is not fit in a post corona virus future?

Edited by ace2542

8 hours ago, LGC100 said:

Cunard aren't preventing over 70's from sailing. It's the UK Gov that's advising UK nationals not to travel. We read that to mean that our TA should cancel our booking because they can't send us against Foreign Office advice. A full refund (less admin costs) should be forthcoming. Fingers crossed 🤞

How does the future travel ban of the UK by Trump feature into this scenario then I wonder? He said it "might happen" which means it will. Not going to get into a discussion about whether that right or wrong or racist but surely if banned by country by origin from the USA we are entitled to a full refund anyway irrespective of travel advice of UK Government?

Just now, goseadogs said:

I just saw President Trump tweeted that Carnival is suspending cruises at midnight tonight.  I assume that means Cunard as well?

image.thumb.png.eedf0016ac08460599a86d6f619518c4.png

Cruises within USA waters perhaps but he does not have the authority to ban cruising around the world.

5 minutes ago, Dahani said:

Isn't the operative word here 'outbound'? 

Yes, the news reports I've been reading say this latest 30-day suspension applies to cruises departing from the United States. Don't know yet if this applies to Cunard. If so, it could impact the remainder of QV's world cruise which is scheduled to call at Fort Lauderdale in just a few more days (Mar 17th).

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, Canuker said:

Nature will take care of that to some extent.  One unknown about this virus is the mutation rate - is it like flu, where new vaccines have to be made every year?  And the common cold is often caused by coronaviruses.  No matter how many colds I've had I still encounter new strains periodically that send me to bed. 

But your point is a good one.  This virus is dangerous in part because it is novel, and there is no natural immunity out there yet.

22 minutes ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

Nobody even knows the mortality rate among those who get sick with covid-19.

Assume that Johnson is correct for a second and the current infection rate is around 11000 with 11 dead in UK the death percentage is 0.1 for UK.

Just now, Colin_Cameron said:

Just had an email from our TA.

Today’s departure from Fremantle has been cancelled.

That’s all we know at this point.

Captain Hashmi just came on the PA.  As you heard, all embarkations, both guest and crew have been cancelled.  He will retain command until Southampton and Captain Wells will deadhead back home.  Reunion is cancelled; we will arrive in Durban a day early, and overnight in Port Elizabeth, and our calls in Tenerife and Maidera will almost certainly be cancelled.

Our departure from Fremantle is delayed 2 hours (1800 to 2000) and people who want to leave now can.  Right now I feel safer on QM2 than anywhere else.

Roy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Captain Hashmi just came on the PA.  As you heard, all embarkations, both guest and crew have been cancelled.  He will retain command until Southampton and Captain Wells will deadhead back home.  Reunion is cancelled; we will arrive in Durban a day early, and overnight in Port Elizabeth, and our calls in Tenerife and Maidera will almost certainly be cancelled.

Our departure from Fremantle is delayed 2 hours (1800 to 2000) and people who want to leave now can.  Right now I feel safer on QM2 than anywhere else.

Roy

Does that mean that Captain Wells will command the westbound TA April 18th to nyc? Can you try and find out for me if possible? Because we are booked on the 25 eastbound TA which if I cancel 2moro Saturday UK time i can get 40/60 refund and fcc but that drops if we wait till Sunday but if Cunard cancel we get full refund.

Edited by ace2542

18 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Does that mean that Captain Wells will command the westbound TA April 18th to nyc? Can you try and find out for me if possible? Because we are booked on the 25 eastbound TA which if I cancel 2moro Saturday UK time i can get 40/60 refund and fcc but that drops if we wait till Sunday but if Cunard cancel we get full refund.

Just curious. Why does who the captain is make a difference?

I confess to being confused by the Trump tweet, posted above (post #586).
See if I've got this right.
It's inbound airline passengers that are being controlled but it's outbound cruises.
Can anyone enlighten me, please to the thinking here.

1 minute ago, Canuker said:

I confess to being confused by the Trump tweet, posted above (post #586).
See if I've got this right.
It's inbound airline passengers that are being controlled but it's outbound cruises.
Can anyone enlighten me, please to the thinking here.

I think it's because an outbound cruise will go somewhere and come back, possibly carrying the virus picked up at a foreign port. Most cruises do return to their departure port--think of all the Caribbean cruises out of Florida, although we are getting near the season for repositioning cruises. 

4 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Royal Caribbean, including Celebrity, is suspending for 30 days, effective midnight tonight.  We are due to sail on the Silhouette to Southampton five days after that, so we STILL don’t know what will happen...and QM2 is our ride back home....

Me too, GeorgiaPeach -- I'm scheduled to sail over on the Silhouette TA and back on the QM2. I have two other cruises planned in between -- the first to Norway on the Queen Victoria, and then to Spain and Portugal on Anthem of the Seas.   At this point I expect all four to be cancelled by the cruiselines.