Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

2 hours ago, Mapmuppet said:

Whilst we are booked to go on QM2 in July and have been 'blessed' with the OBC, I need to cancel a cruise for some elderly friends who do not have access to the Internet.   The customer services number 03454 550300 is not working, is there an alternative number they can call ?

Thanks

I got answered on 03443388650  it did take 1 hour 5 minutes for them to answer so be prepared for a wait once answered I managed to swap my April Canaries cruise over to a cruise next year confirmation email came thru immediately.

for those cancelling or moving cruises to another date if you have booked tours you get refunded to which card you used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

This is the latest comment on the website

Yes it's the same as in an email I got yesterday. 

Today I received a red SALE brochure from them in the post 😀. Mailed a couple of days too early!

57 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

70 is an arbitrary age, fitness must be more important than age

Very true! We have no illnesses. Hopefully a doctor's note will be acceptable. We have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

This is as clear as mud,

a simple statement as to whether  over 70s allowed to sail is needed and I've asked them , via Twitter. If I  can't  sail back from Capetown,  need and answer asap to make other arrangements. 

70 is an arbitrary age, fitness must be more important than age

Cunard aren't preventing over 70's from sailing. It's the UK Gov that's advising UK nationals not to travel. We read that to mean that our TA should cancel our booking because they can't send us against Foreign Office advice. A full refund (less admin costs) should be forthcoming. Fingers crossed 🤞

The situation is certainly changing daily.

My trip is to Norway on QV ON 31st May. 

I’ve decided to go with their offer of extra OBC.. If things have quietened  down by then, but I suspect the season may get cancelled so a full refund may be possible. 

Norway has closed its ports... So I've always got the option of transferring to another cruise 48hrs before departure, if I have second thoughts.

4 minutes ago, LGC100 said:

Cunard aren't preventing over 70's from sailing. It's the UK Gov that's advising UK nationals not to travel. We read that to mean that our TA should cancel our booking because they can't send us against Foreign Office advice. A full refund (less admin costs) should be forthcoming. Fingers crossed 🤞

Lets hope so. My father is 81 and lead name which is strange considering I made the booking onboard the ship. Right now it is 40/60 ref and fcc but we might on for the full refund we shall see. It sounds like one way or another the sailing won't go.

7 hours ago, beaveh said:

Cunards option to transfer to any other advertised cruise up to 48hrs before departure. ( maybe only offered to UK crusiers?)

Why would this be preferable to taking a combination refund/FCC, or better yet, waiting for Cunard to cancel, and then rebooking at leisure?

3 hours ago, IB2 said:

There is a lot of valuable information on these forums, and I haven’t seen any glee at the situation we all face.  

I have seen some people who basically want to be told that everything is going to be fine with their holiday - when we face a situation, according to the UK Government’s mid range assumptions, where up to half a million people will die, the odds of survival for older people are only about five in six, and a period of economic disruption is likely to last for at least the summer, and probably longer. With the same going on in every other country, probably relatively worse in the US given the inadequacy of its initial response.

People who want to hear that everything is going to be OK should simply ask their other half, or their dog.  Because we face a very difficult period and things aren’t going to be OK.

There is indeed a lot of useful information, particularly helpful when things are changing so quickly. There is also a quantity of fruitless speculation. My partner’s views should not be dismissed as unlikely to be realistic. In fact I would not dream of asking, as he is in a high risk group. However, I suspect he would think that 5 out of 6 was good odds, even without the virus.

46 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Cunard have updated so 70+/those with illnesses can get a refund. If there are 2x people in the room and one cancels and gets full refund - what happens with the other person who isn’t ill/under 70?? X

Yes, just got he email which offers me (aged 72) 125% to transfer our QV April 16 cruise to another cruise bookable by December 31st 2021 for any cruise up to end of March 2022. My wife is 61 (bless her) would, in theory, not be included but she has diabetes type 2 so will be eligible as well. However I do wonder how Cunard will handle a 71/69 year old partnership. 

We will take the 125% offer for use in autumn next year but we have a September cruise and a February one already booked so more developments to come.

Edited by Roger Ackroyd

Well, it looks like no June 2 Alaska cruise for us.  So disappointed.  We had waited almost 2 years and so looked forward to it.  We could finally afford a balcony.  I'm sure we will get our money back but I have noticed that suddenly most of the fall and winter/holiday sailings have shot up about $500.00 per person since last week.  I imagine about the same amount as transferable future cruise credits.  Seems a tad shady.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

Yes, just got he email which offers me (aged 72) 125% to transfer our QV April 16 cruise to another cruise bookable by December 31st 2021 for any cruise up to end of March 2022.

I have received no such email (yet).  Does anyone (yet) know if this is for UK only?

19 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

Yes, just got he email which offers me (aged 72) 125% to transfer our QV April 16 cruise to another cruise bookable by December 31st 2021 for any cruise up to end of March 2022. My wife is 61 (bless her) would, in theory, not be included but she has diabetes type 2 so will be eligible as well. However I do wonder how Cunard will handle a 71/69 year old partnership. 

We will take the 125% offer for use in autumn next year but we have a September cruise and a February one already booked so more developments to come.

We’ve had the email. Both under 70, I do have high blood pressure but my wife has no underlying conditions. Not sure where we stand.

Will still sit tight and wait for the inevitable cancellation. I have other battles to fight keeping my job in the airline industry so may not be able to afford any cruises in future.

11 minutes ago, DamTxCruiser said:

Well, it looks like no June 2 Alaska cruise for us.  So disappointed.  We had waited almost 2 years and so looked forward to it.  We could finally afford a balcony.  I'm sure we will get our money back but I have noticed that suddenly most of the fall and winter/holiday sailings have shot up about $500.00 per person since last week.  I imagine about the same amount as transferable future cruise credits.  Seems a tad shady.

We were on that one too.  We had great excursions booked,  both with and without  Cunard.   Also had $1900 OBC that we'll never see.  We will be the ones paying for it.  The same cruise next year will cost more and there won't be nearly the OBC.

11 minutes ago, DamTxCruiser said:

Just had the same email 1 hour ago - now onto the travel agent to get full refund I am under 70 but have a underlining health problem, and have a letter from my doctor.

I spoke to Cunard during the week and as the wife is on the booking under 70 and no medical problems she will also be refunded full amount its all about the booking and who's on it.

Not going for future cruise credit, as nobody on this earth knows if/when this virus will cease, I can see cruise lines going bust, very sad if it happens for crew/shore side staff.

56 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

We are booked on the same cruise, over 70 (71/73) and have had the email and same offer. I am not sure how this 125% FCC actually works in practice. I am assuming that they mean the whole cost of our cruise plus 25% on top?

31 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

We are booked on the same cruise, over 70 (71/73) and have had the email and same offer. I am not sure how this 125% FCC actually works in practice. I am assuming that they mean the whole cost of our cruise plus 25% on top?

Here's how I understand it. You would get FCC for an additional 25% on top of whatever cancellation penalty applies to your cruise. Note this doesn't mean you would get 125% of the whole cost of your cruise since you are not yet in the 100% penalty phase. For your April 16 QV cruise, I believe you are currently in the 75% penalty phase. By my calculations, you would receive 25% of your fare as a refund from Cunard and then 93.75% of your fare as FCC to apply to a future cruise (that's 125% of the 75% penalty you would ordinarily have lost for cancelling if these flexible booking terms did not apply). I hope I've got that right.

Edited by bluemarble

7 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Still no news on QE current sailings. I guess we are sailing tomorrow !

Just make sure you look after the ship . we sail on April 1st ,,,, 

Regards

John

PS keep us informed if you can please

Just now, VK3DQ said:

Just make sure you look after the ship . we sail on April 1st ,,,, 

Regards

John

PS keep us informed if you can please

Will keep you updated, Just cannot understand why we have received no communication here in Australia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Will keep you updated, Just cannot understand why we have received no communication here in Australia.

Yes not a word from Cunard ... however I suspect that the Tasmania . New Zealand and Round Australia cruises will run after that I dont know  perhaps the ship will stay down under and at least earn her living with similar cruises until such time as the "Panic" dies down

We are looking forward to our cruise and will not cancel  ..hope Cunard does not blink

Regards

John

Royal Caribbean, including Celebrity, is suspending for 30 days, effective midnight tonight.  We are due to sail on the Silhouette to Southampton five days after that, so we STILL don’t know what will happen...and QM2 is our ride back home....