Anyone had any experience with the new screening yet?

Jzx1103

I'm wondering how serious RCL is taking this new screening. Can people whose recently been on contact with people from affected regions just lie to get onboard? On the other hand, if someone was too scared to go and wants to cancel (or want to cancel for any other reason), but want a refund as well. Couldnt they just lie and say they've had dinner with someone who was recently in China last night or something, and get denied boarding and get their refund? Or am I missing something. Is Royal actually checking into people's claims or just taking their words for it?

Just now, Jzx1103 said:

I'm wondering how serious RCL is taking this new screening. Can people whose recently been on contact with people from affected regions just lie to get onboard? On the other hand, if someone was too scared to go and wants to cancel (or want to cancel for any other reason), but want a refund as well. Couldnt they just lie and say they've had dinner with someone who was recently in China last night or something, and get denied boarding and get their refund? Or am I missing something. Is Royal actually checking into people's claims or just taking their words for it?

Recent post from today was that there was 3 extra questions.  

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If actual cases start to increase in NA then I would expect the screening to increase.  Until then I think this is good.  Don’t forget we are now more than 14 days since they stopped flights out of affected areas in China.  

I know I'm just salty cause I got banned for just having a Chinese passport, while plenty of people whose had recent contact will probably lie about it. Also because I can't go, my in laws effectively also can't go (they're old and it isn't safe for them to cruise without us) but they can't cancel their room since they have U.S. passports and weren't banned by Royal. I feel like this is Royals own doing and they should allow anyone linked to me to cancel with full refund.

Edited by Jzx1103
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If actual cases start to increase in NA then I would expect the screening to increase.  Until then I think this is good.  Don’t forget we are now more than 14 days since they stopped flights out of affected areas in China.  

Voice of reason, thank you.

1 minute ago, Jzx1103 said:

I know I'm just salty cause I got banned for just having a Chinese passport, while plenty of people whose had recent contact will probably lie about it. Also because I can't go, my in laws effectively also can't go (they're old and it isn't safe for them to cruise without us) but they can't cancel their room since they have U.S. passports. I feel like this is Royals own doing and they should allow anyone linked to me to cancel with full refund.

I would be pushing for an exception to be made in your case.  Either allowing you to travel or allowing your in laws to cancel without penalty.

I would be presenting  your situation to mbayley@rccl.com

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would be pushing for an exception to be made in your case.  Either allowing you to travel or allowing your in laws to cancel without penalty.

I would be presenting  your situation to mbayley@rccl.com

Thanks for this info, yea I called Royal today and the rep just said sorry only your room can get a refund. 

1 hour ago, Jzx1103 said:

Thanks for this info, yea I called Royal today and the rep just said sorry only your room can get a refund. 

That’s unacceptable. Were your bookings linked? Is there any possibility of insurance helping with your parents’ refund since some of their party has been canceled by the cruiseline? 

Boarded in Sydney, AU on Sunday (their time) in pouring rain. A few extra questions.  They did note answers.  I did meet people who were coming from UK and had to change flts so as not to change planes in Hong Kong.  As we proceeded a worker was called over to do an additional health screening on someone. 

I know I'm just salty cause I got banned for just having a Chinese passport, while plenty of people whose had recent contact will probably lie about it. Also because I can't go, my in laws effectively also can't go (they're old and it isn't safe for them to cruise without us) but they can't cancel their room since they have U.S. passports and weren't banned by Royal. I feel like this is Royals own doing and they should allow anyone linked to me to cancel with full refund.
How is this Royal's fault?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Because it’s Royal’s policy, voluntarily chosen by the company to implement banning someone who holds a Chinese passport regardless of where they live, where they have been or who they have been in contact with.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Edited by tiggerrr
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

6 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Denying boarding to passengers who hold a Chinese passport WHEN THEY DO NOT RESIDE IN CHINA OR MAY HAVE NOT VISITED OR BEEN ANYWHERE NEAR CHINA FOR MANY MONTHS, OR EVEN YEARS.

Yes, its good to be cautious but don't you think this is taking things a step too far??

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Sent from my SM-N950U using 

Also if Royal feel like I'm too dangerous to be let on the ship, it only makes more sense to let anyone I'm associated with cancel also. Either I pose no threat and they should let me onboard, or my entire family is a threat.

Edited by Jzx1103
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I didn't realize that. This probably seems like a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. :) So now that people from the infected area can't travel and we are past the 14 day incubation period we, in theory, shouldn't see any new infected in the US?

12 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Also if Royal feel like I'm too dangerous to be let on the ship, it only makes more sense to let anyone I'm associated with cancel also. Either I pose no threat and they should let me onboard, or my entire family is a threat.

I would use the email above to state your case. As someone said a phone rep will not be able to deviate from the script they have been given and you need to escalate to someone who can review your case.

Edited by marci22

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

I would use the email above to state your case. As someone said a phone rep will not be able to deviate from the script they have been given and you need to escalate to someone who can review the policy.

Already sent them a email last night, just waiting for response now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

I didn't realize that. This probably seems like a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. 🙂 So now that people from the infected area can't travel and we are past the 14 day incubation period we, in theory, shouldn't see any new infected in the US?

No, there will still be cases but hopefully limited as it’s spread to other countries and nationalities,

What we are done with is having huge numbers of potential carriers entering the country .

20 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

Was your room and your in-laws booked at the same time?  Or separately?  When you log in online on RCL's website, do you see all the reservations linked?

If you get an email response, please share in this thread or message me directly.

I'm in a similar situation as you but our cruise isn't until March 29 (Harmony), so customer service says they won't issue any refunds to us at this point.  Right now they said the Coronavirus policy only applies to February 2020 sailings, despite the fact that the website's latest update on Feb 9 was changed to "until further notice" (previously "Feb 2020 sailings only").

I booked all 3 rooms for our group of 10 through Costco Travel Canada, and on RCL's website I can see all 3 room reservation numbers under my account.  Room 1 = 2 adults and 2 kids, all Canadian.  Room 2 = 2 adults and 2 kids, 3 Canadian and 1 adult has a China passport.  Room 3 = 2 adults, 1 Canadian and 1 has a China passport.  Therefore, for rooms #2 and #3, customer service said those two rooms would get refunded if they get banned from boarding. However, for room #1, they said we would not get refunded since everyone has a Canadian passport.  That makes no sense as how can they break up our family vacation and still expect 1 room to go ahead with the cruise as if nothing happened?

I escalated it to a supervisor and I think I got passed to a "Customer Resolution Department".  After I pointed out that I was the one that made all 3 room bookings at the same time, and also paid all the deposits, then they agreed that they would note it in our file and that we should be able to cancel all 3 rooms if some members of our party are banned from boarding due having China passports.

Our other issue is that we have already paid for all flights and pre-cruise activities (non-refundable, and paid to a 3rd party, not RCL).  These fees were paid for in December, around the same time as our final cruise payment to RCL. RCL wasn't able to confirm whether we would be reimbursed for these expenditures since they do not have a policy in place yet!  I asked them what are they doing for the people who are affected in February 2020 sailings, and all they did was look up the policy for Anthem of the Seas (as of Feb 10) and said they would pay for "flight change fees up to $400USD".  I would assume someone at head office has already done the math and concluded that China/HK/Macau passport holders probably represent less than 5% of each ship, and they would rather take the hit on refunding/reimbursing those guests rather than risk having an entire ship get quarantined (i.e. Diamond Princess).  They absolutely need to communicate a reimbursement policy ASAP for all people that are affected by this passport ban. If they wish to impose a discriminatory corporate policy to ban 5% of the ship to keep the other 95% safe, then they absolutely need to ensure that the 5% is taken care of and not thrown under the bus (or boat). Again, this is a corporate policy and not a US state department policy.  Even if customers had travel insurance for trip cancellation, it probably wouldn't get triggered since there is no travel advisory against flying to Florida!

Sorry for the rant but I just had to put it all out there while it's fresh in my mind.  For background, this is will be my 12th cruise (3rd with RCL).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ru5tY said:

Was your room and your in-laws booked at the same time?  Or separately?  When you log in online on RCL's website, do you see all the reservations linked?

If you get an email response, please share in this thread or message me directly.

I'm in a similar situation as you but our cruise isn't until March 29 (Harmony), so customer service says they won't issue any refunds to us at this point.  Right now they said the Coronavirus policy only applies to February 2020 sailings, despite the fact that the website's latest update on Feb 9 was changed to "until further notice" (previously "Feb 2020 sailings only").

I booked all 3 rooms for our group of 10 through Costco Travel Canada, and on RCL's website I can see all 3 room reservation numbers under my account.  Room 1 = 2 adults and 2 kids, all Canadian.  Room 2 = 2 adults and 2 kids, 3 Canadian and 1 adult has a China passport.  Room 3 = 2 adults, 1 Canadian and 1 has a China passport.  Therefore, for rooms #2 and #3, customer service said those two rooms would get refunded if they get banned from boarding. However, for room #1, they said we would not get refunded since everyone has a Canadian passport.  That makes no sense as how can they break up our family vacation and still expect 1 room to go ahead with the cruise as if nothing happened?

I escalated it to a supervisor and I think I got passed to a "Customer Resolution Department".  After I pointed out that I was the one that made all 3 room bookings at the same time, and also paid all the deposits, then they agreed that they would note it in our file and that we should be able to cancel all 3 rooms if some members of our party are banned from boarding due having China passports.

Our other issue is that we have already paid for all flights and pre-cruise activities (non-refundable, and paid to a 3rd party, not RCL).  These fees were paid for in December, around the same time as our final cruise payment to RCL. RCL wasn't able to confirm whether we would be reimbursed for these expenditures since they do not have a policy in place yet!  I asked them what are they doing for the people who are affected in February 2020 sailings, and all they did was look up the policy for Anthem of the Seas (as of Feb 10) and said they would pay for "flight change fees up to $400USD".  I would assume someone at head office has already done the math and concluded that China/HK/Macau passport holders probably represent less than 5% of each ship, and they would rather take the hit on refunding/reimbursing those guests rather than risk having an entire ship get quarantined (i.e. Diamond Princess).  They absolutely need to communicate a reimbursement policy ASAP for all people that are affected by this passport ban. If they wish to impose a discriminatory corporate policy to ban 5% of the ship to keep the other 95% safe, then they absolutely need to ensure that the 5% is taken care of and not thrown under the bus (or boat). Again, this is a corporate policy and not a US state department policy.  Even if customers had travel insurance for trip cancellation, it probably wouldn't get triggered since there is no travel advisory against flying to Florida!

Sorry for the rant but I just had to put it all out there while it's fresh in my mind.  For background, this is will be my 12th cruise (3rd with RCL).

We did not book the 2 rooms at the same time as my in laws decided to join us after we booked. However our rooms are linked, so yes I can see their room on my account when I log in.

Edited by Jzx1103

16 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

poorly thought out discriminatory policy with no basis on actual risk prevention? and no compensation for those affected by the arbitrary change in policy?