Cruise cancelled, Uniworld not forth coming with truthful information, and only concerned about $$$

Robinkh

When the ship was damaged I called them immediately. I was told that the damage was not as bad as originally thought and to go ahead and make my plans. A couple of weeks after making those plans, the cruise was cancelled. I now lost $500 on my flights in Italy, plus $1000 (change fees) on my international flights. I contacted Uniworld multiple times and they could have cared less. I had even reached out to the CEO. They offered me $250 off of my next cruise, big deal! This was going to be my fifth cruise with them, but they did not have the slightest concern for my situation. I only received “form” letters in response to my emails and letters. Will not sail with them again! AVOID! The state and quality of the cruises has decreased significantly over the past 6 years since my first cruise with them, they conceal information about problems along the cruise route, their concern for their passengers is nonexistent anymore, and they only care about the bottom line, certainly not about customer loyalty or customer service! There are other better river cruise lines out there.

Can you provide more details so we can understand the background of your issue?

What ship?  When was it damaged?  When were you to cruise?

Edit:  I noticed you also recently posted

about a cancelled Windstar cruise with a better outcome; seems you've had terrible luck!  And welcome to cruise critic.

Edited by capriccio

Certainly doesn't sound like the Uniworld company I've experienced.  In past cruises with them, in any issues that arose the company was very forthcoming with information and options for passengers to compensate for any changes in itinerary. Sorry you aren't getting the same kind of response.

The ship was the River Countess.  We were to sail the first part of August 2019,  the ship was damaged in early June, mid June I was told to make my plans that the ship would be fine, and then the 

first part of July they cancelled.  With a month before departure, there was nothing we could change to while keeping the same flights and dates, since Uniworld would not help with change fees. 

They only refunded the cruise cost.  I have since had another cruise cancelled this one with Windstar and they covered all costs, even when we did not book air fare through them, and we had never sailed with them.  That is the customer service I would have expected from Uniworld. 

Hi Robin, the first post was a bit confusing but now I understand...…...so you were supposed to sail out of

Venice when the boat was hit by the big MSC Ship?  I sailed her in October and had a wonderful cruise.

This sounds so weird...…..they are not helping you with your cancelled cruise?  I remember looking on line

whenever they made an update.....the cruises ended up being cancelled from June through Sept.  I am very

surprised they are not helping you.

A friend of mine had an issue with Uniworld not being honest either. I read on here several cruises at the time were "mostly bus rides" and the reviews were awful. This was due to low rivers. My friend was calling and Uniworld was in denial at the time about the "bus rides". My friend did cancel and lose money - her friends went on the trip and they wished they had canceled.

I think all lines need to be more transparent and honest.

12 minutes ago, Robinkh said:

They only refunded the cruise cost.  I have since had another cruise cancelled this one with Windstar and they covered all costs, even when we did not book air fare through them, and we had never sailed with them.  That is the customer service I would have expected from Uniworld. 

I completely agree! How frustrating.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robinkh said:

We spent $800 on a very high level of coverage and were told by the insurance company (one of the big ones, Allianz) that the cruise line would have to go out of business for a cancellation to be covered. 

You do have to seek out "cancel for any reason" that refunds in cash and according to a friend who buys one, it is very expensive.

Princess cruises offers a cancel for any reason which gives cruise credit which is more affordable. Long story short - I often buy that plus Allianz because of their better coverage for medical. This doesn't help with a Uniworld trip though.

It is difficult to accurately judge a river/cruise line when everything goes well. It is how a cruise line handles things when things go wrong. This will tell you a lot about the type of company they are!

Edited by Coral

If you didn't book your airfare through Uniworld, why would you expect them to reimburse it? I mean, I always book my own airfare but I assume the risk doing it that way. It's unfortunate Uniworld assured you they would be sailing and then realized the ship required more intensive repair and cancelled, but....They refunded the cruise, and honestly, that's all they're compelled to do.

• Like 1

I guess I read the posts too quickly....so you booked airfare on your own but want them to refund that as well?

I can see them refunding you the cruise but as for the flights?   Sorry you are disappointed. I have to agree

with Hoya......

I did not request air fare refund costs, only change fee costs, which they initially said that they would cover and then refused.   It was not just me that had all of these issues, we travel in a group and everyone was treated and mislead in the same way.

36 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

If you didn't book your airfare through Uniworld, why would you expect them to reimburse it? I mean, I always book my own airfare but I assume the risk doing it that way. It's unfortunate Uniworld assured you they would be sailing and then realized the ship required more intensive repair and cancelled, but....They refunded the cruise, and honestly, that's all they're compelled to do.

I have had mass cruise lines cover "change fees" from independently booked airlines. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Edited by Coral

16 minutes ago, Robinkh said:

I did not request air fare refund costs, only change fee costs, which they initially said that they would cover and then refused.   It was not just me that had all of these issues, we travel in a group and everyone was treated and mislead in the same way.

Robin - Did you have a travel agent? Sometimes they have more pull then passengers who book direct. For example, they are less likely to make a travel agent mad who does millions of dollars with the line each year compared to 2 passengers.

17 minutes ago, Robinkh said:

IMO - this is reasonable to expect and other lines have covered this.