Don’t go on a cruise!

Fun4Us2013

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Cruise ships are not being allowed in some ports because of noro outbreaks on board.  It would not be surprising if this spreads to other ports.  

This has been the case for years and years Idubs.   Norovirus has been a major problem on land and sea though the media tend to focus on cruise ships for the sensationalism, but actually there is more Noro in hospitals ashore than on cruise ships.

Regardless, it has been the case for many years that cruise ships must keep a record of how many cases of any gastrointestinal conditions there are on-board.   If it reaches a certain level then special precautions are taken on-board such as removing salt/pepper shakers from dining tables, removing self-service buffet facilities, ramping up hand rail and lift sterilisation and so on.

If the numbers continue to increase and go beyond a certain level then ports will refuse permission for passengers and crew to disembark to prevent a Norovirus outbreak ashore.

This has been the case for years.

5 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

This has been the case for years and years Idubs.   Norovirus has been a major problem on land and sea though the media tend to focus on cruise ships for the sensationalism, but actually there is more Noro in hospitals ashore than on cruise ships.

Regardless, it has been the case for many years that cruise ships must keep a record of how many cases of any gastrointestinal conditions there are on-board.   If it reaches a certain level then special precautions are taken on-board such as removing salt/pepper shakers from dining tables, removing self-service buffet facilities, ramping up hand rail and lift sterilisation and so on.

If the numbers continue to increase and go beyond a certain level then ports will refuse permission for passengers and crew to disembark to prevent a Norovirus outbreak ashore.

This has been the case for years.

Yes, I have personally witnessed a ship being denied port because of a noro outbreak.   And yes, I have been around long enough to be aware of the onboard response when an outbreak happens.    I expect the current situation will cause a heightened concern by port authorities and we will see things get even tighter.  

On 2/17/2020 at 10:29 PM, Fun4Us2013 said:

I was listening to Fox News this morning and they were discussing the virus. The guest was discussing how we got here and where they are in the process of coming up with a cure. At the end of her speech as she was telling everyone how to avoid getting this and she said “Don’t take a cruise”. I am booked on the escape in 76 days and certainly plan on going. Wonder how the cruise lines will react to this.

In a way I hope the many people who watch Fox (or any TV news source) and believe everything they tell people, actually don't book cruises. I certainly don't want to cruise with them and it may make the pricing cheaper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2020 at 5:45 PM, rugerdog said:

I'm sorry for the loss to you and your family. 😢

Thank you. Yes it was hard.  We canceled a trip to Charleston Thanksgiving week because we were  too fearful to leave town, even  though that is only  5 hours away. She was in very bad shape and it was  very  hard for her and us. We really thought it would have been sooner she was so fragile. Very sad. She suffered a lot.  It almost makes me want to move to Oregon so I wouldn't have to go through that at end of life.  Anyway, needless to say we  really do need this trip!

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

In a way I hope the many people who watch Fox (or any TV news source) and believe everything they tell people, actually don't book cruises. I certainly don't want to cruise with them and it may make the pricing cheaper.

I think they realize now the Diamond Princess turned out to be a Petri dish. We could get caught in a quarantene or catch it but  we won't stay on ship. Now, that is is out, we could contact it anywhere.

8 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

I think they realize now

the Diamond Princess turned out to be a Petri dish.

Even after a DEEEEP Clean

I wouldn't want to cruise of Diamond Princess.

I worry about the poor people who will have to steam-clean the thing

from stem to stern literally!

I'm talking every single nook and cranny on board!
Even the chain locker up forward!

All air-conditioning ducting will need to be removed, for starters.
God Alone knows how many other on-board systems

will need to be gutted and replaced.

LONG and enduring Dry Dock Costs are going to be horrendous

in addition to the cash hemmorage already endured!
This could kill Princess Cruises? I hope not.

It may be a lot cheaper for Princess/Carnival CORP.

to simply sink her in 200 ft. of water somewhere for SCUBA-divers...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

I doubt they will do more than a deep clean. No gutting and replacing. If people won’t book because of the name being associated with the virus they will change the name. 

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

And then we should burn down every hospital who treats an infected person?

This is ludicrous.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, momofmeg said:

Anyway, needless to say we  really do need this trip!

I went through the same thing with my mother, and I can empathize with everything you experienced.  Interestingly, we live in Washington, which has the same law as Oregon.  My parents fought very hard to take advantage of said law, but in the end it really was of no use.  

After two years of continuous care giving, I was at my wit's end.  Once I was able to take a long, relaxing cruise, I can't tell you how much it helped to restore my sanity.  To be able to completely let go, unwind, relax, and have no expectations placed on your shoulders is the therapy that I really needed.

Please take the time you all need to recharge, reset, and relax and enjoy your trip, guilt free.  For me, cruising cures a magnitude of ills, and is very cathartic.  Wishing you a wonderful voyage!

• Like 2

Impact of COVID-19 now being felt in Italy

A perfect example of how people will be affected regardless of whether they have the virus or not

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

"11 new cases in Italy.

10 towns, 50,000 people, placed in precautionary voluntary quarantine. Schools, workplaces, municipal and private offices, 3 train stations, coffee shops, and public places closed in the affected towns at least until Sunday.

New cases include:

◦ 5 health workers and 3 patients in the Codogno Hospital.
◦ a couple, aged 78 and 67 years old in critical condition, in the Veneto region."

Yep move on people, nothing to see here.   Carry on cruising  . . . . .  .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aplmac said:

A bit of an over reaction, but yes, there will need to be some PR done to repair the reputation of the Diamond. I think a few months and some really cheap cruises (without incident) will cure this situation quite easily but not necessarily  inexpensively for Princess.

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

A bit of an over reaction, but yes, there will need to be some PR done to repair the reputation of the Diamond. I think a few months and some really cheap cruises (without incident) will cure this situation quite easily but not necessarily  inexpensively for Princess.

There is surely more than simple worries about the ship itself at stake with the Diamond Princess situation.

Don't you think people are equally concerned about how the entire situation was handled? 

I think some interesting testimonies will appear from the people who had to endure the ordeal once they come out of quarantine.  And what of the criticisms of the Chinese Professor who posted his concerns on YouTube saying there were no Red/Green zones and all the rest?

I suspect the customer impact will be wider than just that one ship TBH

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

There is surely more than simple worries about the ship itself at stake with the Diamond Princess situation.

Don't you think people are equally concerned about how the entire situation was handled? 

I think some interesting testimonies will appear from the people who had to endure the ordeal once they come out of quarantine.  And what of the criticisms of the Chinese Professor who posted his concerns on YouTube saying there were no Red/Green zones and all the rest?

I agree with you. I think there will probably be a lot of folks who speak out over the next few weeks...…

about all of it....how it was handled in totality  and the specifics as well.  Since we were not there and can

only go by what we are seeing now, I have to wonder what other things will be coming out about it.:classic_wacko:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

By the way, the comments of those who survived the quarantine can seriously damage the reputation. One hundred percent after all there will be interviews of those poor people

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, Charles4515 said:

I doubt they will do more than a deep clean. No gutting and replacing. If people won’t book because of the name being associated with the virus they will change the name. 

Lol us folks here on CC will still know it is the  coronavirus ship

21 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

I don’t think that it matters what folks on CC know it as. Do you? Most people, that is the general public, who book cruises are not on CC. When neighbors and friends tell me they have booked a cruise or have been on a cruise they don’t remember the name of the ship or even the cruise line.

Did you know that there has already been a name change? Diamond Princess did not start out being Diamond Princess. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think that it matters what folks on CC know it as. Do you? Most people, that is the general public, who book cruises are not on CC. When neighbors and friends tell me they have booked a cruise or have been on a cruise they don’t remember the name of the ship or even the cruise line.

Did you know that there has already been a name change? Diamond Princess did not start out being Diamond Princess. 

Lol you missed my point . WE will be protected. Knowledge is power and everyone should do research. If they don't, their bad.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:36 AM, drsheryl said:

I'm debating cancelling my cruise.  So far, I have only paid a $500 deposit.  I have a solo cabin booked.  I don't want to be quarantined for 2 wks in a solo cabin.  The virus seems to be spreading even with the quarantine.  My flights are booked for Rome.  I can just do an Italy trip.  Thoughts?

i heard italy has some coronavirus. don't know what they plan to do. just keep well informed as your departure date gets closer. dh heard about it on the al jazeera app. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

WE will be protected. Knowledge is power and everyone should do research. If they don't, their bad.

not everyone knows how to do research.

and some of the news stories are misleading or proven inaccurate at a later date.

just be careful!

2 hours ago, momofmeg said:

I hope so, since fares will be dirt cheap because of this kind of ignorance.  Never sailed on Princess, but I would have no reservations about booking a cruise on that ship if the right opportunity presented itself.  

32 minutes ago, Viv0828 said:

not everyone knows how to do research.

and some of the news stories are misleading or proven inaccurate at a later date.

just be careful!

Someone should do research on how short the life of a virus is outside of a host.  A clue, keep everyone off the ship for a couple of hours, or let's say 2 days, to be safe, and there won't be a live virus left.

Avoiding that ship because of that quarantine is superstition, not science.