EZAir seats “disappeared”

ProfMHC

Just thought I’d report this for others who use EZAir.  While checking for a possible lower fare (no such luck) I discovered that the seats for our final leg home had somehow disappeared and we were “seatless”. Confirmed this on the AA app with my frequent flyer login.  Returned to EZAir and reinstated our seats. Not a big issue as flight and cruise are still months away.  But did want to share that sometimes looking for a lower fare on EZAir has unintended results and helps to keep original bookings secure.

• Thanks 1

It's not at all evident that your checking caused the flights to disappear considering that they had also disappeared from your AA app.  It's more likely that a software glitch happened.  Isn't it a good thing that you checked?  If you had not, you would not have found this 'glitch'.  I've checked my reservations many, many times and I've never encountered this.

I have lost seats booking directly with the airline (many times). I doubt this is related to searching for a better fare.

It is a good reminder to check your flights regularly.

Edited by Coral

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I have lost seats booking directly with the airline (many times). I doubt this is related to searching for a better fare.

It is a good reminder to check your flights regularly.

Not directly related at all.  Just totally by chance noticed that they were not there.  Agreed that checking regularly is a good idea. Just sort of hard to remember when flights are months away! 

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's not at all evident that your checking caused the flights to disappear considering that they had also disappeared from your AA app.  It's more likely that a software glitch happened.  Isn't it a good thing that you checked?  If you had not, you would not have found this 'glitch'.  I've checked my reservations many, many times and I've never encountered this.

I didn’t say it was a causation. Just wanted to report that checking works and not just for a lower fare!  A good habit to develop .... 

• Like 1

If the airline sometimes will change the type aircraft; and you could lose the seats you were in and they will move you.  So by checking your reservation often you can correct that.  Airlines will normally adjust schedules, flight times, and size of aircraft every quarter.  If I book my flight 330 days prior; I will check at the start of each quarter.  My current flight has changed takeoff times twice in six months.  We have enough of a layover that the times didn't affect us.  Good to check and thank you PRofMHC for letting people know

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

If the airline sometimes will change the type aircraft; and you could lose the seats you were in and they will move you.  So by checking your reservation often you can correct that.  Airlines will normally adjust schedules, flight times, and size of aircraft every quarter.  If I book my flight 330 days prior; I will check at the start of each quarter.  My current flight has changed takeoff times twice in six months.  We have enough of a layover that the times didn't affect us.  Good to check and thank you PRofMHC for letting people know

That’s what surprised me. No schedule change and no change of aircraft. Totally random! 

Never booked your seats with any third party including EZAir. Always book your seats directly with the operating carrier. This also includes when you have a codeshare flight operated by one airline but marketed by another. Always always book seats directly with the operating airline.

Edited by frugaltravel

I have something similar (maybe?) happening? I booked my flights last week for our trip to Japan via Ez-Air. Everything was fine, and I went to the airlines webpages and upgraded my seats (paid) to something better. It was significantly cheaper via the airline than Princess. I went back over the weekend and when I click on change/update flight in the portal I see:

The air itinerary you are trying to retrieve has a schedule change that is not reflected in our system. Your flights will be updated shortly so please check back later for updated information.

I can still see the flight just fine for the trip out to Japan (on the Delta website) but the flight back on American Airlines I get an error on the carrier website. It says that my flight seats aren't available. I called American and they referred me to PRincess. It's now been 5 days like this in limbo. My seats are showing fine in the American/Delta app.  Anyone ran into this? 

I can call Princess but the hold times are insane right now and my work schedule doesn't permit me to sit on the phone all day. 

I can wait and be patient if this isn't out of the ordinary, just unsure if I should be worried. 

My seats on American were changed to farther back in the cabin when they changed the aircraft type. I was able to move them back forward when I was ticketed. The seats for the other leg remained unchanged. EZAir does have a disclaimer that seat selection is not guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, dearinger said:

I have something similar (maybe?) happening? I booked my flights last week for our trip to Japan via Ez-Air. Everything was fine, and I went to the airlines webpages and upgraded my seats (paid) to something better. It was significantly cheaper via the airline than Princess. I went back over the weekend and when I click on change/update flight in the portal I see:

The air itinerary you are trying to retrieve has a schedule change that is not reflected in our system. Your flights will be updated shortly so please check back later for updated information.

I can still see the flight just fine for the trip out to Japan (on the Delta website) but the flight back on American Airlines I get an error on the carrier website. It says that my flight seats aren't available. I called American and they referred me to PRincess. It's now been 5 days like this in limbo. My seats are showing fine in the American/Delta app.  Anyone ran into this? 

I can call Princess but the hold times are insane right now and my work schedule doesn't permit me to sit on the phone all day. 

I can wait and be patient if this isn't out of the ordinary, just unsure if I should be worried. 

I was only able to reclaim my seats on the EZAir site. I first tried to adjust them on the AA app. But the American site showed “ticket pending” and referred me back to Princess. However, you’ve pre-paid seating so it’s different, I think. I do know that when there’s a schedule change, for example, it often takes several days for Princess to “catch up” even when not slammed by the current situation in Asia.

34 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

frugaltravel,  if you use EZAir you book thru them.  If you are a frequent flyer you can log into your account and pick your seats.  I am confused by your comment.  

What frugal means is that one is not required to select seats when booking via EZAir.  If you skip the seat selection during booking and then go into the airlines own app or website and select seats there, you have a much better chance of not mysteriously losing seat assignments.

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Like 1

I actually got a hold of Princess just now between meetings. They said that airlines are cancelling a lot of flights going into and out of Japan (I imagine due to the lack of demand) and I should see a final iternarity in the next week. I guess my "upgraded" seats that I purchased should automatically move to the whatever flight I end up on. 

Thanks for everyones help. 

20 minutes ago, dearinger said:

I actually got a hold of Princess just now between meetings. They said that airlines are cancelling a lot of flights going into and out of Japan (I imagine due to the lack of demand) and I should see a final iternarity in the next week. I guess my "upgraded" seats that I purchased should automatically move to the whatever flight I end up on. 

Thanks for everyones help. 

Have a terrific cruise! 👍🏻

3 hours ago, ProfMHC said:

Just thought I’d report this for others who use EZAir.  While checking for a possible lower fare (no such luck) I discovered that the seats for our final leg home had somehow disappeared and we were “seatless”. Confirmed this on the AA app with my frequent flyer login.  Returned to EZAir and reinstated our seats. Not a big issue as flight and cruise are still months away.  But did want to share that sometimes looking for a lower fare on EZAir has unintended results and helps to keep original bookings secure.

I have an issue with AA and EZAIR. Booked my flight yesterday, went onto SAS and got my seat, tried to go onto AA thru my app. I can see my flight but I cannot get my seat. Has this ever happened to anyone else with AA? Also it keeps pulling forward my BA member # and won't accept my AA one. AA tells me to go back to EZAIR to get a seat but I've never done it that way before 

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I have an issue with AA and EZAIR. Booked my flight yesterday, went onto SAS and got my seat, tried to go onto AA thru my app. I can see my flight but I cannot get my seat. Has this ever happened to anyone else with AA? Also it keeps pulling forward my BA member # and won't accept my AA one. AA tells me to go back to EZAIR to get a seat but I've never done it that way before 

That’s exactly what I found yesterday evening. And agree it’s a change by AA. I had to go back to EZAir to request sears. Then they immediately showed up in my AA app. 

16 minutes ago, ProfMHC said:

That’s exactly what I found yesterday evening. And agree it’s a change by AA. I had to go back to EZAir to request sears. Then they immediately showed up in my AA app. 

So it's not just me! Went back to my PVP and got aisle seat in front of plane. Showing in my personalizer 

Edited by Ombud

AA, and some other carriers as well, will not allow advance seat assignments on their website until a reservation  is in "ticketed" status, nor will they allow you to purchase extra legroom seats, etc until reservation ticketed. 

Princess typically does their ticketing 45 days prior to travel if you have booked a "flex-fare".  If the flights have been paid in full you can request early ticketing however you lose the features of the flex-fare and go to a non-refundable fare and changes are then only possible for a fee.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

Never booked your seats with any third party including EZAir. Always book your seats directly with the operating carrier. This also includes when you have a codeshare flight operated by one airline but marketed by another. Always always book seats directly with the operating airline.

Why? You are booking and getting seats through the airline when booking EZ Air. It it real time availability for flights and seats. 🤔

The OP is insinuating by the thread title that EZ Air lost the seats.

Every airline has their own policy on seats etc. Some you can reserve right away some within 24 hours of the flight and some at the airport. 

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

frugaltravel,  if you use EZAir you book thru them.  If you are a frequent flyer you can log into your account and pick your seats.  I am confused by your comment.  

I was not able to select seats on EZ air.  Had to call Air Canada directly.  It may depend on the airline.

• Like 1

Ombud,  you are on SAS, so American does not control the seat assignment, SAS does.  It is a codeshare flight.  It gets a little confusing when you book a reservation thru a US airline; but it is on an foreign carrier.  Hope you got everything straightened out.