Coronavirus

This event is unprecedented since the Polio outbreak in the 50's 

But remember more people die of flu every year than have so far died of Coronovirus 

and hopefully it will stay that way with everyone being honest and self isolating properly if they get symptoms no matter how mild 

A continuous dry cough and/or a temperature 

As Dave says wash your hands regularly

Edited by Vitalsign

I think the government want to keep the holiday industry going, not send cruise lines to the wall etc, but reduce those as risk going on them eg over 70 or underlying health issues. Don't know if anyone else is watching the John Hopkins coronavirus map, but it has spread all over really (few exceptions in Africa, but even then its reached the Congo. ) Turkey was very slow to declare any cases, and I suspect it has many cases in reality.  There is even a case in Reunion Island that attacked passengers from the Sun Princess a couple of weeks back. Cases  in Spain have rapidly increased , along with many other countries that are seeing numbers rapidly increase. I am glad we put our holiday in June off , and will postpone it again if the situation hasn't improved by September.   

Cant get hand gel, surface disinfectant, and even some soaps in very short supply. Never thought we would have something like this, and to be honest, I am very troubled by it. Sweby

Just now, Daftlad said:

Marella showing themselves to be minnows in comparison to that group of "major" cruise companies. 

Actually word today is we Canadians (through Sunwing) are being offered 25% cash and 75% future credit .. so things are moving in the right direction now. Pretty releived at this end. I expect the UK will have something similar soon.

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Actually word today is we Canadians (through Sunwing) are being offered 25% cash and 75% future credit .. so things are moving in the right direction now. Pretty releived at this end. I expect the UK will have something similar soon.

A step in the right direction for sure, although far from ideal. I certainly hope that Marella respond in a similar manner in the UK. As I've said previously, that element of exitement we all have when getting near to embarkation date is non existent. A sad situation all around.

My travel insurance is through my Barclays Bank account, which uses Aviva. Tried to ring them today to see how I stand if I cancel. Just got a recorded message saying that if my question was virus related, I was to look at the government web site. Hopefully, the advice on there will now change to reflect the latest statement not to cruise if you are over 70. (I am). I wonder if Marella will check it?

28 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Boris actually said anyone over 70 with health problems not to cruise I've been watching the TV for the last 40 mins and that is what he said 

Why can't you wait until TUI advise the cruise is cancelled and you will get a full refund

Or if you have medical problems let them know with GP confirmation and you will get a full refund

Their Admin dept must be working like Trojans to sort four weeks of refunds for Discovery 2 at the moment as well as for those who have had a shortened cruise in the Far East

Please be patient you will not be out of pocket

Unfortunately we fit the criteria, fortunately its all been declared to our insurance. We should be paying our finals on Sunday but they given us two weeks grace with an option to rebook. Problem is its not just our deposit at risk, we had a problem on D2 in Sep and they refunded us a good amount which we paid off our next cruise, this one, so we have £2k riding on this😳. Can't knock Tui they are trying to help but it's looking like this will be the first year in, fifteen we have not cruised with them normally 3 or 4 each year, as I say soooo disappointed. 

A quick update on my situation. I posted here a couple of days ago asking if people thought I was over-reacting since I was considering cancelling our Marella cruise in the Baltic in May.

Well, I cancelled.

As we were past the 70 day mark we've lost 30% (around £1200) but I have to say we don't regret it at all. My wife has an underlying auto immune medical condition that makes her extremely vulnerable to COVID19, the GP wouldn't do anything, and until the UK Govt takes a position our travel insurance won't kick in. And since our PM has released a statement today saying basically that some of our loved ones are unfortunately going to die (and he's gonna do FA about it), I don't think anything is going to change in the short term.

So for us, there are some things more important than money. And since I genuinley believe our NHS is not going to be able to cope, and lots of people are going to die, I think doing everything we can to not catch it in the first place is the best strategy. And if that means self isolating and losing £1200 on a cruise to end any uncertainty there, so be it!

Edited by cruisedave5

47 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Boris actually said anyone over 70 with health problems not to cruise I've been watching the TV for the last 40 mins and that is what he said 

Unfortunately that is an advisory NOT a ban. That means it’s up to you to cancel, and if you do you won’t get a refund. As yet there is not a FCO advisory for people not to cruise. Until that kicks in insurance won’t cover it.

As for comparisons with the flu it just doesn’t compare. NOBODY has immunity. And it’s way more dangerous than the flu for older people. 

• Like 1

I am a little angry and confused about how this impacts cruisers. I missed the live feed from the press conference and now I find it appears the BBC have been editing what was being said by missing the occasional word which can change the meaning.

What actually came out of the participants mouths is what I want to hear.

Over 70's should not cruise. What is the definition of over 70?  Are you over 70 one day after your 70th birthday? What about existing medical conditions. Some reports say over 70 with existing conditions, other reports say over 70 or existing conditions.

Aaargh the local BBC TV news has just done it again! Self isolate if you have a temperature or a persistent cough. This is elsewhere reported as a temperature or new persistent cough

WHAT IS THE TRUTH

‘So for us, there are some things more important than money. And since I genuinley believe our NHS is not going to be able to cope, and lots of people are going to die, I think doing everything we can to not catch it in the first place is the best strategy. And if that means self isolating and losing £1200 on a cruise to end any uncertainty there, so be it!’
totally agree cruisedave5

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Over 70's should not cruise. What is the definition of over 70?  Are you over 70 one day after your 70th birthday? What about existing medical conditions. Some reports say over 70 with existing conditions, other reports say over 70 or existing conditions.

The truth is the Prime Minister might as well have said look both ways before crossing the road. What he said about over 70s not taking a cruise is a sound bite. Nothing more. It's not Government policy. Its not Govt advice, and its certainly not a FCO advisory.

What it is is a good summation of how our Govt has handled (and continues to handle) the pandemic. With 'nudge theory' management designed to shift the focus onto individuals decision making rather than, say, taking a decision to stop 200,000 people converging from all over the country (and abroad) on Cheltenham for a racing festival. Or closing the schools. Or stepping in and guranteeing sick pay for everyone from Day 1. Or giving a mortgage/rent holiday to everyone for 2 months. or.... etc etc.

What we actually get is '70 year olds dont go on a cruise'

Sorry for the rant, and I realise we are in a fortunate position to be able to cancel our cruise and lose the money and not worry too much about it, and I realise other people might not be so fortunate and if you're in that position you have my sympathy.

Edited by cruisedave5

Damn, no Medeira then, a port I was really looking forward to.   

Come on then now Tui / Marella, how much longer can you put your head in the sand.  Do what P&O have done and a lot of bad feeling will go away.

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The gov site clarifies it. It is 70 and over or certain medical conditions. Type 2 diabetes included but you have to look up your medication. mine is metformin.

The Government website states: "The Chief Medical Officer has advised that over-70s and vulnerable travellers with pre-existing health conditions should not travel on cruise ships. Travellers with existing cruise travel plans should speak to their operator, transport and accommodation provider for further advice".

I have to say, this is meaningless when it comes to travel insurance. FCO travel advice is what counts, and that is currently:

"The FCO is currently advising:

against all travel to Hubei Province, in China
against all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China. If you’re in China and able to leave, you should do so. See the latest travel advice for China.
against all travel to the cities of Daegu, Cheongdo and Gyeongsan in South Korea. See the travel advice for South Korea
against all but essential travel to Italy. See the travel advice for Italy

We are not advising against travel to any other country/territory as a result of coronavirus risks"

Edited by cruisedave5

A cautionary note about travel insurance. If you cancel your holiday, your insurance company will do it’s upmost not to pay out. If there is FCO advice to not travel, you might be successful if you have added travel disruption to your policy.

If the provider of the travel cancels your travel, they should offer a refund. If you cancel, they might offer you a future credit or partial refund, or nothing at all. It is a game of cat and mouse. Who will blink first?

Marella are still saying that they intend to run a normal schedule from early April in the Med our of Italy. I can’t see it myself, but if they do, it will only be possible if FCO advice has been lifted, and FCO will not do that if there is still a large amount of active infection. So if FCO lifts the ban, it means it is safe to go and we can all continue with our trips as planned. That would be my preferred outcome. If they don’t, I think Marella will have to cancel themselves as it will be impossible for them to reschedule everyone. We will then get a refund. So, hold your nerve and don’t cancel.....

1 hour ago, sweby said:

Cant get hand gel, surface disinfectant, and even some soaps in very short supply. Never thought we would have something like this, and to be honest, I am very troubled by it. Sweby

Same up our way,sadly too many selfish people bulk buying

Supermarket shelfs empty of anti bacterial soap,disinfectant,,toilet rolls,pasta and other foods

15 minutes ago, cruisedave5 said:

We are not advising against travel to any other country/territory as a result of coronavirus risks"

Dave if you look at the Gov Web site on over 70 cruisers the FCO is advising not to cruise so if you do go insurance would not cover you, well thats how I understand it but who's to say🙄