Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Marella have cancelled the Canary cruises for the next fortnight.

Where exactly have you read or seen this? Or are you just assuming due to Spanish port closures, which actually doesn't mention the Canaries 

See above.

They are literally waiting till the very last minute when a country closes its borders to make announcements when we are in the middle of a pandemic. No country wants a ship load of possibly infected people to deal with yet Marella happily cruise on obliviously.

Thanks for all the replies, we were due to fly tomorrow to join the ship, we have at 2239 hours received an email to say that our cruise is cancelled.

Talk about last minute. But at least we can have a full refund or amend to another holiday.

Thanks for the updates.

3 minutes ago, jono75 said:

I guess some are cancelling anyway before now, perhaps it will become uneconomical to run the ships.  This is Tui, profit first, when that happens they may do what P&O and others have.

They are hanging on till the last. Unfortunately this is what big business becomes. All about shareholders and profits and zero regard for customers. We are just £ to them and they will do their damn best to protect the first two.  Their true colours have been displayed recently.  

7 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

They are hanging on till the last. Unfortunately this is what big business becomes. All about shareholders and profits and zero regard for customers. We are just £ to them and they will do their damn best to protect the first two.  Their true colours have been displayed recently.  

The trouble is they almost have a monopoly in the UK, only Jet2 really giving them any competition with the demise of Thomas Cook.  I guess people will now find out how weasily and underhand insurance companies are, with their small print.   In future you'll see a lot more Pandemic clauses etc.

Leesre   Can you please say which ship you were supposed to be on?

rkingphoto. what ship was the lady who got the email sailing on?

Dream will definitely be affected as she is sailing from Malaga but moves to Palma in May

Interesting developments. Still no news on Italy though. That said, I really think we are all letting this whole virus thing get out of hand. It really is not going to affect many people that badly....heart disease and type 2 diabetes will prematurely kill more people each day in the UK than this virus ever will, yet millions of people plough on each day destroying their own bodies without any concern. Maybe the press should be jumping up and down about that and the tremendous strain that puts on the NHS! 
So let’s keep a perspective on all this.....hopefully our cruises won’t be cancelled and FCO advice will change so that we can all enjoy what should be an excellent cruise! But in the meantime, confirmation of Marella’s plan should that not happen would be nice.

• Like 1

We are due to fly to Barbados a week tomorrow.

I called in personally at the tui agency (they weren't very busy!!), they said as it's booked online I had to call that number and they couldn't help. But they said unless FCO changed things we would be sailing. Not helpful really....

I have so many feelings going on, this is my partners first cruise, what should be an exciting time which has turned sour and I can't concentrate at work, it's taking over all my thoughts.

I want to go but I'm terrified of being in hospital, let alone a foreign one and bring split up from my partner.

On top of that I feel I can't prepare buy clothes etc I feel like I'm frozen.

I can't get through to Barclays insurance to see how we stand on the pandemic clause but their website says we are covered for Coronavirus.

I'm worried we won't be able to have communications with people and the insurance if we do go and given we don't have a choice but to lose 4k which is a massive amount of money to is go I know I'm going to be on edge all the time which is not the idea of a holiday!!

I wished we knew one way or another and I'm sick of people asking me at work what's happening!!

I'm in such a state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, helengp said:

Interesting developments. Still no news on Italy though. That said, I really think we are all letting this whole virus thing get out of hand. It really is not going to affect many people that badly....heart disease and type 2 diabetes will prematurely kill more people each day in the UK than this virus ever will, yet millions of people plough on each day destroying their own bodies without any concern. Maybe the press should be jumping up and down about that and the tremendous strain that puts on the NHS! 
So let’s keep a perspective on all this.....hopefully our cruises won’t be cancelled and FCO advice will change so that we can all enjoy what should be an excellent cruise! But in the meantime, confirmation of Marella’s plan should that not happen would be nice.

This epidemic is a BIG thing worldwide. It matters not one jot how many people die of other things. The issue is the amount of disruption it is causing. Take the UK for example, all our lives are going to be impacted over the next few months as we struggle to avoid our NHS being overwhelmed with patients requiring intensive care. When will it all end? Who knows. I see China has reported only a few new cases but now they are worried that a fresh wave of infection may arrive from abroad. I would not be surprised if it is many months before the situation returns to normal.

What about the cruise industry which concerns us here and specifically Marella? Basically their summer season is shot to hell. Even if they had ships sailing there will be few places left to sail to. TUI is the largest travel operator in the world but their billions in cash reserves are mostly consisting of deposits which will have to be refunded. Will they go bust? I could see Marella closing if it is a bad profit provider for TUI. at least a major reduction in capacity. Maybe the Celebration and Dream will go first, immediately.

• Like 1

Dream left Cadiz yesterday and was supposed to be heading for Casablanca, instead it just drifted around for a few hours. It now appears to be heading to Gibraltar which quite possibly might be it's dock for a while as it won't be able to travel onwards to Malaga.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

What about the cruise industry which concerns us here and specifically Marella? Basically their summer season is shot to hell. Even if they had ships sailing there will be few places left to sail to. TUI is the largest travel operator in the world but their billions in cash reserves are mostly consisting of deposits which will have to be refunded. Will they go bust? I could see Marella closing if it is a bad profit provider for TUI. at least a major reduction in capacity. Maybe the Celebration and Dream will go first, immediately.

I think this may be what is causing Marella to sit back and wait; they are probably more worried about survival than profits at the moment. In the meantime, we are all sitting in the dark.

4 hours ago, helengp said:

....heart disease and type 2 diabetes will prematurely kill more people each day in the UK than this virus ever will, yet millions of people plough on each day destroying their own bodies without any concern. Maybe the press should be jumping up and down about that and the tremendous strain that puts on the NHS! 
So let’s keep a perspective on all this.....

And millions of people plough on with immune system problems and other underlying conditions that are no fault of their own.

We are not all overweight cake scoffing smokers not taking care of our bodies.

I've never blocked anyone on any site before but I might make an exception for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FuzzyDuckUK said:

Dream left Cadiz yesterday and was supposed to be heading for Casablanca, instead it just drifted around for a few hours. It now appears to be heading to Gibraltar which quite possibly might be it's dock for a while as it won't be able to travel onwards to Malaga.

Yes Dream's currant Itinerary is the most vulnerable with "Continental Coasts" Malaga, Palma/Majorca, Barcelona, Valencia, Cartagena, Malaga.

Next would be Discovery1 from May 2nd with "Highlights of the Mediterranean" from Majorca.

Discovery2 Itinerary based in Naples from May 6th will need some 'tweaking' over the next 6 weeks.

23 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

Yes Dream's currant Itinerary is the most vulnerable with "Continental Coasts" Malaga, Palma/Majorca, Barcelona, Valencia, Cartagena, Malaga.

Next would be Discovery1 from May 2nd with "Highlights of the Mediterranean" from Majorca.

Discovery2 Itinerary based in Naples from May 6th will need some 'tweaking' over the next 6 weeks.

Dream and Explorer have had all cruises cancelled for at least the next 2 weeks.

42 minutes ago, seniorred said:

Sailing from Tenerife on March27th for a week on Explorer. Completely in the dark atm. 

I tweeted them last night and got a response this morning about Explorer Apr 10th.  Basically as the port are due to be open then it's all systems go!  

Tui are really sticking it out until they really have to do something.