Coronavirus

29 minutes ago, jono75 said:

Damn, no Medeira then, a port I was really looking forward to.   

Come on then now Tui / Marella, how much longer can you put your head in the sand.  Do what P&O have done and a lot of bad feeling will go away.

I think we are all banging our heads against a brick wall.  Marella have their headphones on playing “la la la”. 

And another note about insurance. Marella will have their own comprehensive insurance policy. This will have a section called ‘loss of profits’ that is basically there to indemnify them if their business is interrupted or curtailed in any way. It should pay out to compensate them if they have to refund customers’ money, cancel cruises and ‘lose their profits’. So for them to continue with this stance of saying as little as possible doesn’t make business sense...it just breeds ill will and contempt for them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, helengp said:

A cautionary note about travel insurance. If you cancel your holiday, your insurance company will do it’s upmost not to pay out. If there is FCO advice to not travel, you might be successful if you have added travel disruption to your policy.

If the provider of the travel cancels your travel, they should offer a refund. If you cancel, they might offer you a future credit or partial refund, or nothing at all. It is a game of cat and mouse. Who will blink first?

Marella are still saying that they intend to run a normal schedule from early April in the Med our of Italy. I can’t see it myself, but if they do, it will only be possible if FCO advice has been lifted, and FCO will not do that if there is still a large amount of active infection. So if FCO lifts the ban, it means it is safe to go and we can all continue with our trips as planned. That would be my preferred outcome. If they don’t, I think Marella will have to cancel themselves as it will be impossible for them to reschedule everyone. We will then get a refund. So, hold your nerve and don’t cancel.....

It`s absolutely now a case of `who blinks first`.

We love Marella but this indecision is not going down too well with us and everyone else on this forum. None of us are in any doubt that it`s all about the money and Marella is in the business of turning a profit first and foremost. In the unlikely event, and it is a stretch of optimism indeed, that all this calms down in a few weeks Marella will be vindicated. I don`t want to have any bad feelings for Marella but I do think they need to make a call on this now. Going by what people are saying here nobody is going to cancel their cruises and lose out and surely Marella have some sort of insurance of their own to ease the losses they will have to deal with.

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Apparently it will be 25% refund - 75% future credit - I'm pretty happy with that all things considered. 

I would not be happy with that as I don't want to be trapped into having to cruise with a particular cruise company especially as we only chose this cruise because we got nearly £2k discount. 

You’ve accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Hide

Guidance

Cruise ship travel

Guidance for British people about cruise ship holidays, with specific advice for people aged 70 and over and people with health conditions.

Published 12 March 2020

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises British nationals aged 70 and over and those with pre-existing health conditions against cruise ship travel at this time.

This is based on the government Chief Medical Officer’s advice. It follows a number of cruise ships around the world being locked down due to coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks on board.

If you are aged 70 and over, or if you have underlying health conditions, an outbreak on board could put you at a higher risk of severe disease. This could lead to hospitalisation in another country, and potential disruption to medical care for any underlying conditions.

Underlying health conditions include, but are not limited to:

• chronic respiratory disease, including asthma
  • chronic heart disease
  • chronic renal disease
  • chronic liver disease
  • chronic neurological disease
  • diabetes requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
  • weakened immune system due to drug treatment or disease
  • current or recent chemotherapy

This list is not exhaustive. If you are in any doubt and you have a chronic health condition, you should speak to your doctor.

Plan ahead

All cruise ship passengers or those planning to go on a cruise should be aware a COVID-19 outbreak on board is possible, and your travel may be disrupted.

If you already have cruise travel plans, you should speak to your travel operator or the travel company you booked with for further advice.

If you’re already on a cruise ship, you should follow the advice of the ship’s authorities. This includes complying with any precautionary health measures or quarantine procedures that may be put in place.

For further information on preparing to travel abroad and helping reduce the spread of the virus, see the NHS guidance and the TravelHealthPro guidance.

Published 12 March 2020

Transition period

Support links

Open Government Licence

All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated

1 hour ago, oscarshep said:

It`s absolutely now a case of `who blinks first`.

We love Marella but this indecision is not going down too well with us and everyone else on this forum. None of us are in any doubt that it`s all about the money and Marella is in the business of turning a profit first and foremost. In the unlikely event, and it is a stretch of optimism indeed, that all this calms down in a few weeks Marella will be vindicated. I don`t want to have any bad feelings for Marella but I do think they need to make a call on this now. Going by what people are saying here nobody is going to cancel their cruises and lose out and surely Marella have some sort of insurance of their own to ease the losses they will have to deal with.

What a great post.  If you had said that on a Marella Facebook group you would have been crucified by now but I’m happy this forum has more sensible members.  You are entirely right. Marella are the Nero playing whilst Rome burns. We all know they should now be saying “ we want to protect our passengers and crew so are cancelling our cruises” but instead are indicating. “We want to protect our profits”. 

13 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

What a great post.  If you had said that on a Marella Facebook group you would have been crucified by now but I’m happy this forum has more sensible members.  You are entirely right. Marella are the Nero playing whilst Rome burns. We all know they should now be saying “ we want to protect our passengers and crew so are cancelling our cruises” but instead are indicating. “We want to protect our profits”. 

Should be able to say what you think on this forum ,so like I said yesterday "stuff Marella facebook  group" I'll continue to say what I THINK !!

6 minutes ago, shot2bits said:

Absolutely agree. I just want a decision from the decision makers at Marella. This has left a bad taste, I think whatever way it goes, lose deposit or not, it’s goodbye Marella from me. Very disappointed. 

And me !!!! 

15 minutes ago, jono mono said:

Should be able to say what you think on this forum ,so like I said yesterday "stuff Marella facebook  group" I'll continue to say what I THINK !!

Definitely.  We will see which cruise companies rise from the ashes of this virus the quickest. 

Now this what Marella should be doing....just had this email from Easyjet.....

Given the unprecedented situation we’re all facing as a result of Covid-19, we wanted to provide an update on what this means for any travel plans you may have with easyJet. 

We will continue to operate a flight schedule that ensures that those customers who still wish to travel can do so, where travel restrictions allow and in line with guidance from health authorities. 

However, we understand there is uncertainty around travel at this time, so if you currently have a booking with us but would prefer not to fly then from tomorrow (13.03.2020), you can now change your flight online and we will waive the flight change fee. This applies to all existing and new bookings until further notice. Should there be a difference in fare you’ll need to pay this - however by waiving the change fee, we want to ensure you have more flexibility to amend your travel plans.

Where we’ve been required to cancel flights, customers will be able to transfer to an alternative flight free of charge or receive a refund. And where all flights have had to be cancelled due to local authority guidance – in Italy, for example – we are operating rescue flights to ensure passengers can return home.

Easyjet have the right approach....working WITH their customers to reach the best outcome possible given the situation.

A bit late notice for some who were due at the airport tomorrow.

Purely selfishly I want to know about canary cruises in April.  Can't imagine it getting much better by then.  They should bite the bullet and save face.

7 minutes ago, rkingphoto said:

To be fair the Canaries have had hardly any cases and Spain closing all ports has taken everyone by surprise.

But it does not say that Marella has cancelled all their cruises around the Canaries

5 minutes ago, LEESRE said:

But it does not say that Marella has cancelled all their cruises around the Canaries

This email was posted on the Marella facebook group.

Dear Mrs xxxxx,

Important information about your Marella Cruise.
We would like to inform you of some important information about your upcoming cruise.
We’re sorry to inform you that the Spanish authorities have taken the decision to not permit cruise ships to dock at any Spanish ports from midnight on Friday 13 March for 14 days.
This unfortunately means you will no longer be able to travel on your cruise as planned. We know this is extremely disappointing and we will proactively contact you as soon as we can to discuss your options, whether that be to amend your holiday or receive a full refund.
If you would like to speak to a member of our team please call 0800 072 3829 or 0203 336 1993: 9am - 7pm (Monday to Friday), 9am – 6pm (Saturday) and 10am-5pm (Sunday).
Thank you for your patience,
Your TUI Team.