Coronavirus

21 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

We very nearly booked a Carnival cruise from Miami over Easter but went for the Discovery 2 cruise to the Caribbean instead. I'm beginning to wish we hadn't changed our mind as at least we'd know where we stood.

I agree.  Marella are now going to look mercenary if they don’t take some action very soon.  

22 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

Carnival/Princess Cruise Line have announced they are suspending all operations for 2 months.This affects their fleet of 18 ships and will affect cruises from March 12 th to May 10th

As have Viking River and Ocean Cruises.

My cousin and his wife and family were booked to travel soon with P & O . They have been given the option to change to a later date with no penalty or if they chose to travel will receive extra OBC.

My brother, his wife and elderly mother-in -law are due to sail on Marella Explorer in April with three ports in Italy.  We all know that all of Italy is now in lock-down but they have heard absolutely nothing at all from Marella informing them of a change of ports. 

They are very worried as the elderly lady has underlying health problems. This was her first cruise and she is feeling very stressed about the whole thing instead of looking forward to it.

Marella state on their website they will keep customers informed of any changes. They are not doing that. The lack of information is shocking and they are still advertising this cruise with three ports in Italy in spite of the FCO statement regarding travel to Italy.

6 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

As have Viking River and Ocean Cruises.

My cousin and his wife and family were booked to travel soon with P & O . They have been given the option to change to a later date with no penalty or if they chose to travel will receive extra OBC.

My brother, his wife and elderly mother-in -law are due to sail on Marella Explorer in April with three ports in Italy.  We all know that all of Italy is now in lock-down but they have heard absolutely nothing at all from Marella informing them of a change of ports. 

They are very worried as the elderly lady has underlying health problems. This was her first cruise and she is feeling very stressed about the whole thing instead of looking forward to it.

Marella state on their website they will keep customers informed of any changes. They are not doing that. The lack of information is shocking and they are still advertising this cruise with three ports in Italy in spite of the FCO statement regarding travel to Italy.

Their communication on this is woeful.  They just put up a notice today re their River Cruises.  Thought it would be to say they are cancelling them but no just the same pre boarding questions they had for their cruises.  Appalling.  

22 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

But it does say if you had the policy in place before 31/10/19 you can effectively get cover under the old or new terms, whichever suit you best.

I noted that and we have had an unbroken policy with them for many years, only time will tell. 🤞

5 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

Their communication on this is woeful.  They just put up a notice today re their River Cruises.  Thought it would be to say they are cancelling them but no just the same pre boarding questions they had for their cruises.  Appalling.  

Is anyone else checking their inbox every ten minutes to see if there's an email from Marella saying their cruise is cancelled?!

1 minute ago, vwgolf said:

Is anyone else checking their inbox every ten minutes to see if there's an email from Marella saying their cruise is cancelled?!

YUP!!!    or at least an offer to rebook ... losing hope though

I'd say say at this point with what other lines are doing and the massive cancellations of sport events around the world then can Tui really expect to have thousands of people in close proximity without some pretty heavy criticism, and in the end I think their hand will be forced.

They should do what P&O are doing and allow credit for a cruise up to 2022, after all I can't see them struggling too much as they've got almost a monopoly in the UK (non cruise) at least, perhaps that's the problem.

Looks like F1 teams are pulling out of Australian GP (McLaren so far) so that'll be cancelled soon I expect, Olympics must be nervous.

Edited by jono75
fix typo

11 minutes ago, jono75 said:

Looks like F1 teams are pulling out of Australian GP (McLaren so far) so that'll be cancelled soon I expect, Olympics must be nervous.

Just wondering how funny it would be if this year's Premier League is abandoned and Liverpool can't win the title!

46 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

No I’m not as I don’t believe they are that organised or on top of it.  Pretty sure I’ll find out on Facebook or here first.    All UAE ports closed to cruise ships yet TUI say our cruise next month around there is still happening.  Delay tactics me thinks.

Edited by kevinyork

Just quoting someone from another thread ...not sure of the source (we are booked through Sunwing as well but have not heard yet) ..but if it is true the gates to rebooking appear to opening at least for Canadians ..

""

UPDATE TODAY: Some good news for Canadians booked with Sunwing.

They will apply Sunwing’s Future Cruise Credit Policy March 17 – April 14, 2020

Marella Cruises: Cancel your Sunwing cruise vacation package 48 hours prior to departure and receive Sunwing’s future cruise travel voucher, valid for any Marella Cruise future cruise booking with Sunwing Vacations, departing on or before April 13, 2021.

Cancellations will be allowed for applicable sailing dates from March 17 – April 14, 2020
Sunwing Vacations will issue Sunwing Future Cruise Certificates (equal to the value of their booking) to customers wanting to cancel during this time frame.

Probably a more reliable source that the Tui operator I spoke to the other day.  

Interesting development, I don't know if it's just me but things seem to be picking up pace today with the virus and the responses (discounting Trump).

5 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Just quoting someone from another thread ...not sure of the source (we are booked through Sunwing as well but have not heard yet) ..but if it is true the gates to rebooking appear to opening at least for Canadians ..

""

Marella Cruises: Cancel your Sunwing cruise vacation package 48 hours prior to departure and receive Sunwing’s future cruise travel voucher, valid for any Marella Cruise future cruise booking with Sunwing Vacations, departing on or before April 13, 2021.

Cancellations will be allowed for applicable sailing dates from March 17 – April 14, 2020
Sunwing Vacations will issue Sunwing Future Cruise Certificates (equal to the value of their booking) to customers wanting to cancel during this time frame.

I’m guessing as the Canadian official advice is not to cruise then this has left them no choice. That’s what Marella UK are hoping for here I’m sure so people claim off their travel insurance.

1 minute ago, jono75 said:

Probably a more reliable source that the Tui operator I spoke to the other day.  

Interesting development, I don't know if it's just me but things seem to be picking up pace today with the virus and the responses (discounting Trump).

and three cruise lines cancelling cruises, and an infected British ship in the caribbean.

36 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

""

Travel voucher valid till 2021.  I would imagine when all this is over that prices will soar !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Travel voucher valid till 2021.  I would imagine when all this is over that prices will soar !

That is why I want a refund. Celebrity gave a full refund and 50% future cruise credit.

12 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

That is why I want a refund. Celebrity gave a full refund and 50% future cruise credit.

Apparently it will be 25% refund - 75% future credit - I'm pretty happy with that all things considered. 

Boris actually said anyone over 70 with health problems not to cruise I've been watching the TV for the last 40 mins and that is what he said 

Why can't you wait until TUI advise the cruise is cancelled and you will get a full refund

Or if you have medical problems let them know with GP confirmation and you will get a full refund

Their Admin dept must be working like Trojans to sort four weeks of refunds for Discovery 2 at the moment as well as for those who have had a shortened cruise in the Far East

Please be patient you will not be out of pocket