Coronavirus

This could  make sense if it's true. We have been watching prices on a late May cruise and suddenly there's loads of availability.  If so many people have cancelled it could be cheaper for cruise lines to call it a day for a while, must be a massive headache for them logistically.

I have just come off the phone talking to someone on the tui coronavirus phone line about my cruise from Cyprus,

It goes to Israel for 2 days and no one in the office even knew about Israel being in lock down,

basically we have just got to wait until they get there act together so I hope this news about them cancelling all 

cruises is correct. 

Thanks, I do want to go, we've done five cruises in the last four or so years and love it.  All with Thomson/Marella.   I've done most of the Canaries before on regular hols, but as it also does Maderia and La Gomera that I've not seen before and I like the other places too.

Not sure if I want it to be true or not to be honest.   I think the Italy situation is a big factor.

Just now, jono75 said:

Thanks, I do want to go, we've done five cruises in the last four or so years and love it.  All with Thomson/Marella.   I've done most of the Canaries before on regular hols, but as it also does Maderia and La Gomera that I've not seen before and I like the other places too.

Not sure if I want it to be true or not to be honest.   I think the Italy situation is a big factor.

I'm a bit like you, one moment I want to get my money back and do something else until all this blows over.  Then a moment later I really hope it goes ahead, partly because I've already paid 199 euros for my Monaco GP Practice day tickets.  But then, that might not go ahead either.

The news today said that in two weeks the Uk will be like Italy is now which if true would mean no port will allow Uk passengers in and if those from Italy are denied boarding currently then UK guests would be denied boarding as well.

If this is true it makes a lot of sense.  It would then force the other Uk cruise lines to follow suit.

Edited by kevinyork

Some info that might be useful - we joined the Dream in Malaga Sunday. Nothing to sign at checkin (surprised) just a verbal ' no' to all relevant questions, and a temperature check of forehead before embarking. Casablanca also want a signed declaration from each passenger confirming similar questions, before we arrive Friday 13th!. So far no issues on ship, and no-one denied boarding (unless it's been kept quiet.

43 minutes ago, redsails9 said:

I have just come off the phone talking to someone on the tui coronavirus phone line about my cruise from Cyprus,

It goes to Israel for 2 days and no one in the office even knew about Israel being in lock down,

basically we have just got to wait until they get there act together so I hope this news about them cancelling all 

cruises is correct. 

Your post sums up matters beautifully. The amount of contradictory comments coming out from all and sundry is so frustrating.

Your cruise maybe the one we're booked on, 1st April out of Limassol. Seems Bethlehem is one place on lockdown, which for me is a deal breaker. It was Bethlehem that made me choose this cruise. If that is the case, then that gives grounds for a conversation I need to have with TUI.

Edit: Just looked up Jewish News and the Prime Minister has decreed visitors from abroad to Israel will be quarantined for 14 days. Make of that what you will.

Edited by Daftlad
update

I can't get through to the line, waited 20 mins then gave up!

The website is still saying all other cruises bar those listed are going ahead, I wished we had some clarity as others have said we'll be like Italy in a week or so and that's when we are about to sail.

Feeling very frustrated at not knowing, gutted we may not be but also relieved in a way as it's making me really anxious!!!

Took me about 10 mins to get through earlier.  I would have thought they would have made a statement online by now unless they still want people to book later date cruises.  My cruise is still available to book.  She did seem pretty sure when she read her memo, I was surprised so  she read her memo again.

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

This was news I saw dated yesterday ...so just Asia listed there ...

In a tweet, TUI said: "Due to the restrictive measures now in place for cruise ships across Asia we have taken the difficult decision to cancel all Marella Cruises due to sail to the region. 

The key bit here is "due to sail to the region". If that bit's missed out, then it would mean all Marella cruises are cancelled. Has the agent misread the memo?

1 minute ago, vwgolf said:

The key bit here is "due to sail to the region". If that bit's missed out, then it would mean all Marella cruises are cancelled. Has the agent misread the memo?

At this moment I would bet that is the case.

Hi Daftlad,

we are due to sail on the 25th march and we chose the cruise because it went to Israel and Egypt,

Egypt got cancelled and now its almost certain for Israel to be cancelled so not very happy,

When I phoned nobody seemed to know what was happening although the lad I spoke to did keep going to

talk to his manager about it, but the manager didn't know what was going on so it's a just wait and see.

1 minute ago, Jim The Scot said:

If someone at TUI/Marella told me tomorrow is Wednesday I wouldnt believe them

We go in 10 weeks time and looking forward to it and of courses hoping its calmed down by then

The first point I totally agree with but the second, that just has to be wishful thinking. lol

Just been on the phone to Marella trying trying to wangle a free upgrade considering the top cabin is now more than the price I've paid for a standard outside, to no avail.  However, the girl on the phone said they had had a notice today that all Marella cruises are being stopped.  I asked her if she was sure it was all of them and not just the Asian ones, she read her notice again and it says all. 

Surely this should say cheaper than not more than

Just been on Travel Alerts on the TUI Website and their update today says only Discovery cruises cancelled until she reaches Dubai NO other cruises cancelled (as yet)

Edited by Vitalsign

We are due to fly to Tenerife on Friday 17 April.  Got our etickets last week.  Second week of cruise - Livorno, Civitavecchia, Naples.  Waiting to hear what Marella are going to do.  Just over 5 weeks and counting.  Not looking too hopeful at the moment.

Due to pay balance of June cruise in 3 weeks time.  Would be nice if they made a decision before then.