Cruise ships refused permission to visit ports outside Asia

MSC Meraviclia was not allowed to enter Jamaica.  A crew member fell ill.  Filipino worker is said to have been in Manila within the last few days. 

Mirror.Co.UK

Didn't PNG recently refuse permission for a ship to disembark passengers?

Corona virus is starting to effect more cruises outside Asia. 

How are cruise lines managing crew members who return to ships from Asia?  Are they self isolating for a period, such as 14 days?

Edited by MMDown Under

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

MSC Meraviclia was not allowed to enter Jamaica.  A crew member fell ill.  Filipino worker is said to have been in Manila within the last few days. 

Mirror.Co.UK

Didn't PNG recently refuse permission for a ship to disembark passengers?

Corona virus is starting to effect more cruises outside Asia. 

How are cruise lines managing crew members who return to ships from Asia?  Are they self isolating for a period, such as 14 days?

Cayman Islands also refused entry to this ship for the same reasons.

Cayman Island News

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

There will be more and more countries refusing entry of cruise ships as this spreads. 

Yes, I just read on CC of another MSC ship which was refused permission to disembark in St Lucia.  I doubt many Americans would have thought the Caribbean would be affected by this virus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, I just read on CC of another MSC ship which was refused permission to disembark in St Lucia.  I doubt many Americans would have thought the Caribbean would be affected by this virus.

Wot! You mean the good ole USofA will also see this issue? Not according to those citizens. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Carole2313 said:

St Lucia notified a Costa ship their passengers with Italian passports would not be allowed to disembark but the other passengers were welcome.  Of course the ship left instead.

I wonder how many Italians were on board.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:52 PM, MMDown Under said:

QE passengers couldn't disembark at Rabaul, PNG on Sunday. 

Cunard Latest Travel and Ports Thread Post 106

QE is down our way at Eden on 10 March, I have no doubt they will be allowed to dock.    The world cruising Brits on board will not be happy re PNG.   A lot of Aussies would be on board too as a lot of the Brits only do half world cruises then they fly back to Mother England from places like Sydney etc.

16 hours ago, Carole2313 said:

St Lucia notified a Costa ship their passengers with Italian passports would not be allowed to disembark but the other passengers were welcome.  Of course the ship left instead.

That doesn't even make sense given how contagious it seems to be. Should be all or nothing.

"A cruise ship full of Australians and New Zealanders has been refused entry to two countries and met by violent protests at a third over fears the coronavirus could be on-board the ship.

New Zealander Rod Pascoe, 67, is travelling on the Sun Princess with his wife on the seven-week Indian Ocean Odyssey." Source: News.com.au

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

"A cruise ship full of Australians and New Zealanders has been refused entry to two countries and met by violent protests at a third over fears the coronavirus could be on-board the ship.

New Zealander Rod Pascoe, 67, is travelling on the Sun Princess with his wife on the seven-week Indian Ocean Odyssey." Source: News.com.au

Those island nations have every right to deny entry to cruise ships, corona virus could decimate their population, given they would struggle with medical aid.

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Which countries?

Edited by MMDown Under

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Which countries?

Mauritius and Madagascar refused entry to Sun Princess in addition to the issues at Reunion Island, demonstrations etc.   Sun Princess now has 8 days at sea back to Fremantle.   Some very unhappy little Vegemites on board.

Edited by NSWP