RCL Share Price

Moby Jones

do you buy cruise stock because you like or or because it's ez to make money? i'm sure there are other examples like this but the 1 year low of PENN gambling stock was 3.75. today is 115.  i just wish i pumped lotta money back then..sigh. thats much better rate than any cruise stocks. 

For me Royal Caribbean has always been a conviction buy.

Bought a lot (not just the required 100 for OBC) for 25 $. Enjoyed good dividend payments and sometimes the shareholder benefit - which, however, was never my motivation to buy the shares. They were automatically sold with the corona crash last year at around 100 $

Went back in for even more around 30 $. 

For me it’s a long term investment in a business I can relate to. I am also convinced that the good times will return and RCG will still be one of the profitable players. Since I am not in need to sell anytime in between, I am looking forward to a good ROI... to someday spend on cruises when retired. 

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Bought at $50 sold at $99.   Will buy again when it's way back down.

Looking at the development during the crises and the optimistic hope for the light at the end of the tunnel getting closer you might have to wait for the next pandemic or crash for that to happen.

My opinion is that the stock price is overly inflated by "optimistic hope" and when the reality of the next 6-9 months sets in we will see another dip.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the $50/$60 range again but that's my layman's opinion.   RCL has historically been pretty cyclical since I started sailing with them.

image.png.901a5fd3e8e2b50d0105dc54decafc1b.png

5 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Looking at the development during the crises and the optimistic hope for the light at the end of the tunnel getting closer you might have to wait for the next pandemic or crash for that to happen.

Bought at $21 and change, still holding on to it

• Like 2

I had posted in another thread (X or Royal) that a year ago RCL stock traded at $130 driven by $2B in 2019 earnings and Fain's promise of years of 10% growth.  Last year they lost $6B, total debt increased from $7B to $18B and annualized interest expense rose from $400MM to $1.1B.  Even after issuing new shares stockholders equity shrank $4B.  1st half of this year will be more of the same while hopefully despite operating fewer ships with lower loads  they will at manage to get  back to cash flow neutral.  With all that additional debt to service it's doubtful earnings will regain that 2019 level for several years.  Have to feel at this price the stock carries greater chance of risk than reward.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

14 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

do you buy cruise stock because you like or or because it's ez to make money? i'm sure there are other examples like this but the 1 year low of PENN gambling stock was 3.75. today is 115.  i just wish i pumped lotta money back then..sigh. thats much better rate than any cruise stocks. 

No I bought cruise line stocks in the three big companies simply because market sentiment pushed prices way too low at that time IMHO. You'll see a lot of this negativity in this very thread at the start. 

The dividends and stock holder benefits were not a consideration. I was focused purely on growth. Though the OBC will be nice. I doubt we'll see dividends any time soon though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

I had posted in another thread (X or Royal) that a year ago RCL stock traded at $130 driven by $2B in 2019 earnings and Fain's promise of years of 10% growth.  Last year they lost $6B, total debt increased from $7B to $18B and annualized interest expense rose from $400MM to $1.1B.  Even after issuing new shares stockholders equity shrank $4B.  1st half of this year will be more of the same while hopefully despite operating fewer ships with lower loads  they will at manage to get  back to cash flow neutral.  With all that additional debt to service it's doubtful earnings will regain that 2019 level for several years.  Have to feel at this price the stock carries greater chance of risk than reward.

Agreed. A lot of speculators are buying based on reversion to what it was. Not realising there has been a lot of equity issued since, which devalues it. When shares start getting valued based on BAU operations rather than speculation the actual return achieved is likely to drive the share price down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Agreed. A lot of speculators are buying based on reversion to what it was. Not realising there has been a lot of equity issued since, which devalues it. When shares start getting valued based on BAU operations rather than speculation the actual return achieved is likely to drive the share price down.

I will not invest in any one specific cruise line stock right now.  Way too much risk for me anyway.  But if there was an ETF that invested across cruise lines I would consider it.  There is an airline-only ETF called JETS.   It has more than doubled in the 1 year time frame.  Spread the risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I will not invest in any one specific cruise line stock right now.  Way too much risk for me anyway.  But if there was an ETF that invested across cruise lines I would consider it.  There is an airline-only ETF called JETS.   It has more than doubled in the 1 year time frame.  Spread the risk.

It would be a very concentrated ETF consisting almost entirely of just three stocks CCL, NCLH and RCL.  Might be better off picking a favorite and riding it.  I don't see much upside for any of them right now but NCLH is interesting because a greater % of their business is upscale (Regent & Oceania) bringing them higher $ pp/pd.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, Orator said:

RCL is down today in an upmarket. Perhaps it's due the news that RCL is selling about 16,08 million shares at $91 per share.

Jim Cramer on his CNBC show just mentioned how abnormal for a stock to go up as it has since Monday when they put all those additional shares on the market. He compared it to a tech stock with good financials that did the same thing and the stock tanked. The conclusion being it’s all about sentiment and momentum right now vs fundamentals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sold my stock on Feb. 24th. I had been seeing it rise and after the 3rd day in a row, it went over a total gain of over 200% for my total shares. I bought 200 shares or RCL and 200 shares of Carnival last March.

It has been quite a year watching this thread and seeing the opposing viewpoints.

I went with my gut, using money that I was not afraid of losing if it came to that. However, the stock and the market pulled through. I am not sure if I would do it again since I don’t normally trade individual stocks. I would rather stay with mutual funds. Again, after following the stocks prior to the pandemic and seeing what happened in March 2020 and knowing that people like me are going to cruise again as soon as it is possible, I am glad it bought when it did.

There were a lot of naysayers out there saying that the people buying the stock were crazy. Time will tell what happens from here on in. I am glad to be on the outside looking in and satisfied with my earnings.

-Jim (20 degrees in Buffalo today with lots of sunshine, getting warmer this week)

On 3/3/2021 at 6:28 PM, BEAV said:

Jim Cramer on his CNBC show just mentioned how abnormal for a stock to go up as it has since Monday when they put all those additional shares on the market. He compared it to a tech stock with good financials that did the same thing and the stock tanked. The conclusion being it’s all about sentiment and momentum right now vs fundamentals. 

Isn't Cramer a horrible predictor of stock performance?