RCL Stock

heidikay

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Don't think so.

The message is scaring me though, would hate to buy 100 shares on margin. Wish I could find someone on TD Ameritrade to do a dummy buy and tell me what that message in yellow that pops up means?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The message is scaring me though, would hate to buy 100 shares on margin. Wish I could find someone on TD Ameritrade to do a dummy buy and tell me what that message in yellow that pops up means?

nothing. pops up even with straight buy

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

To buy on margin, basically means you are buying using a loan.  On Brokers you typically have to be approved to do that.  On TD Ameritrade you have to go to the website,  not the app, and under settings request the type of margin priveleges.

If you are getting that error you are likely shorting the stock as that would be one of the more common margin trades.  When you short a stock you are basically borrowing money from the broker to make a purchase.  The reason being if you are shorting you have no idea what the price is of the stock is when you eventually buy the stock, as it is when you close the position and buy the stock the price will depend on the market price at the time not at the moment you initially purchased it albeit your profit or loss is dependent on the initial price when you shorted the stock.

Edited by rimmit

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

To buy on margin, basically means you are buying using a loan.  On Brokers you typically have to be approved to do that.  On TD Ameritrade you have to go to the website,  not the app, and under settings request the type of margin priveleges.

If you are getting that error you are likely shorting the stock as that would be one of the more common margin trades.  When you short a stock you are basically borrowing money from the broker to make a purchase.  The reason being if you are shorting you have no idea what the price is of the stock is when you eventually buy the stock, as it is when you close the position and buy the stock the price will depend on the market price at the time not at the moment you initially purchased it albeit your profit or loss is dependent on the initial price when you shorted the stock.

I believe right now as the way I set up my stock prices I'm seeing are like 15 minutes behind, but I guess it would be wise to pay the $2.00 a month charge and get real time stock prices, I believe now that is why I'm probably seeing that yellow box warning sigb about the margin. Do you all think that is the issue I'm having. If so I will go back on the site and upgrade to the real time prices for the $2.00 ?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Do you all think that is the issue I'm having.

No and you can get real time quotes in lots of places free, including on the app that TD uses.

Biker, who has bought using his TD app yesterday.

9 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

If you buy on margin and the price goes down you need to put up more money.

At this point I would wait until they start sailing again before buying. 

Just feeling this site out, this would be my first time buying. I'm no where near ready to pull the trigger just yet on RCL.

As stated above I don't want to buy with margin, I want to know the exact price I'm paying. Buying with margin I believe is like buying for $100 and then you are getting a $100 loan from the broker...........If the stock goes down to $0 you then are called for the $100, therefore losing $200 on the buy. 

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I believe right now as the way I set up my stock prices I'm seeing are like 15 minutes behind, but I guess it would be wise to pay the $2.00 a month charge and get real time stock prices, I believe now that is why I'm probably seeing that yellow box warning sigb about the margin. Do you all think that is the issue I'm having. If so I will go back on the site and upgrade to the real time prices for the $2.00 ?

The app has real time prices.

I think you just haven’t been approved for margin privileges.  Did you apply for margin privileges.  It’s very simple.  You literally check some boxes.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No and you can get real time quotes in lots of places free, including on the app that TD uses.

Biker, who has bought using his TD app yesterday.

But you can't get real time prices with out paying on a desktop compter on TD, I see I have to download the app, so mostly you do all your buying on the app and never on a desktop because of this?

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Just feeling this site out, this would be my first time buying. I'm no where near ready to pull the trigger just yet on RCL.

As stated above I don't want to buy with margin, I want to know the exact price I'm paying. Buying with margin I believe is like buying for $100 and then you are getting a $100 loan from the broker...........If the stock goes down to $0 you then are called for the $100, therefore losing $200 on the buy. 

No.  Buying on margin is you are using $100 of the brokers money to buy the stock.  If the stock goes to 0, you owe the broker $100.  You effectively lost $100 dollars.  You don’t lose twice as you owned the stock and it went to zero.

1 minute ago, rimmit said:

The app has real time prices.

I think you just haven’t been approved for margin privileges.  Did you apply for margin privileges.  It’s very simple.  You literally check some boxes.

I'm not completely sure, but I know I don't want to make any purchases on margin. Any idea where I would check on my account to see that?

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But you can't get real time prices with out paying on a desktop compter on TD, I see I have to download the app, so mostly you do all your buying on the app and never on a desktop because of this?

The only time I have been to the website was to apply for margin privileges.

Typicaly when you open a broker account they assign a rep to you to answer questions.  Has he/she called you yet?

Edited by rimmit

1 minute ago, rimmit said:

No.  Buying on margin is you are using $100 of the brokers money to buy the stock.  If the stock goes to 0, you owe the broker $100.  You effectively lost $100 dollars.  You don’t lose twice as you owned the stock and it went to zero.

and this is why I don't want to buy anything on Margin  lol

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not completely sure, but I know I don't want to make any purchases on margin. Any idea where I would check on my account to see that?

Jimbo - I think you should be calling a broker and not working through the app

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rimmit said:

The only time I have been to the website was to apply for margin privileges.

Typicaly when you open a broker account they assign a rep to you to answer questions.  Has he/she called you yet?

I did get a name, but no one has called yet. I applied on Sunday, My deposit showed up on Monday, yesterday.

Edited by Jimbo

Just checked my account online looks like I did check the box for margins because my buying power is double my deposit.

Does anyone know if there is a way of changing that online or must I call my broker at TD Ameritrade?

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just checked my account online looks like I did check the box for margins because my buying power is double my deposit.

Does anyone know if there is a way of changing that online or must I call my broker at TD Ameritrade?

As suggested you really should call your rep.  There may be a way to do it online but you should talk to them anyway.   They can explain the different way of placing an order.  From what you posted earlier I believe you do not want to buy on margin or place a market order.  Even when you place an order at a set price you have options for how long it is enforced.  

39 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

As suggested you really should call your rep.  There may be a way to do it online but you should talk to them anyway.   They can explain the different way of placing an order.  From what you posted earlier I believe you do not want to buy on margin or place a market order.  Even when you place an order at a set price you have options for how long it is enforced.  

I believe I just want to buy it at Market(Current Value) and Day. Then confirm the buy and then it is done.

You want to use "limit" if shooting for a specific price.

Market Order
An order seeking execution of a buy or sell transaction immediately at the next available market price.

Limit Order
An order seeking execution of a buy or sell transaction at a specified price or better.

Stop Order
An order to buy or sell a security at the next available price if the price reaches or surpasses a designated level.

Trailing Stop
An order to buy or sell a security that automatically adjusts the stop price at a fixed percent or dollar amount below or above the current market price.

Contingent Order
An order that is automatically entered when certain conditions you specify are met.

Conditional Order
A order that, if filled, automatically cancels or activates additional orders.

he lies the confussion, this is when I click market and day and then review this comes up during the review , next step would be place order.... what the heck are special the margin requirements?

Please be aware that this security has 

special margin requirements

Buy 10 shares of RCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Common Stock)

Market

Estimated trade amount: -$288.90   Commission: $0.00
  -$288.90  

Time-in-force: Day

Last: 28.89

Place order

Bid: 28.83
    Ask: 28.89
  B/A size: 300X100
Edited by Jimbo

Think I found it where i have to change something. The question is:

What type of options activity do you plan to conduct?

4 options, what should I have clicked.

Tier1  Covered

Tier 2 Standard Cash

Tier 3 Standard Margin

Tier 4 Advanced

I had Covered selected, something tells me it should have been standard cash, is this correct?

Also want to thank everyone for helping me.

Don't use market or you will pay whatever the market decides,  use limit.

Using limit means you want to buy at that price or lower.

So see below.

1. Click on Ask price in the RCL quote (in example it is the red 28.87)

2. It will pre-fill the price in the ticket

3. Select number of shares to purchase

4. Review and submit.

84609619_Screenshot(3).png.afabb58b4bd1bdd81c97560c1d63b745.png

Edited by Cavmedic

6 minutes ago, Cavmedic said:

Don't use market or you will pay whatever the market decides,  use limit.

Using limit means you want to buy at that price or lower.

You are buying outright, no margin applies.

So see below.

1. Click on Ask price in the RCL quote (in example it is the red 28.87)

2. It will pre-fill the price in the ticket

3. Select number of shares to purchase

4. Review and submit.

84609619_Screenshot(3).png.afabb58b4bd1bdd81c97560c1d63b745.png

Excellent, so once you put in the quantity in your picture, the review order lights up in green, once you do that do you get the same yellow caution words about margin special requirements that I'm seeing, do you just disregard that?