Allure OTS: 3 year old child denied boarding due to Influenza.

I feel like a moron because I stupidly told the truth about my kid’s fever. RCLhas offered a future cruise credit for my 3 year old child and nobody else in our cabin. This is beyond ridiculous. Did they really expect that we would leave our sick three-year-old alone in South Florida for a week? Neither I nor my travel agent can get anybody at RCI to even talk. It’s been nonstop buck-passing. First the folks at the port told me to call RCCL customer service. Then they told me they wouldn’t discuss it with me, only my TA. Then when my TA called and conferenced me in, they told her they wouldn’t know what happened until the ship came back. These idiots couldn’t even keep their story straight about how / where / when we could get our luggage. Everyone keeps lying and passing the buck.

I’m tired of the lies and the buck-passing from RCI. Does anyone have any tips for bringing things to a resolution so I can know exactly how much I’ve been screwed over for? 

If we had lied, Allure could have been generating headlines costing RCCL millions. Why shaft us and refuse to even communicate?

Does anyone know of a way to contact them other than the customer disservice phone number?

Edited by motopolitico
Typo fix and directed question
  • Haha 1

1. We can’t even file a claim against our travel insurance until RCI communicates with us. Fortunately we appear to have a valid trip interruption claim.

2. Kid fell sick on the day of travel. No time to get a doc letter beforehand, and RCCL would never take our word for it.

• Like 3

Wow! Nice of you to be honest. I don't know what they would expect you to do with a 3 year old.  Sorry this happened. I'm glad you have travel insurance. I would probably start there. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Glad to hear RC is doing their job. Kudos. 👍

Don’t get me wrong, once kiddo tested positive for flu, I was glad they did their job, but everything they did after that point has been nonstop lies and buck passing.

Edited by motopolitico
slight anonymization
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, motopolitico said:

Don’t get me wrong, once kiddo tested positive for flu, I was glad they did their job, but everything they did after that point has been nonstop lies and buck passing.

Glad you told the truth and RC acted appropriately. I don't have an opinion on the other issues. 

• Like 2

Thank you for being honest.   Personally,  I think in order to encourage people not to lie, RCI should offer 100 percent cruise credit to all the people in your party, or at the bare minimum all the people in your party if the effected individual is under the age of 18.

By only offering an FCC for the effected individual it only makes less people likely to tell the truth in the future.  Thank you for your honesty, but can totally appreciate your frustration in this matter, and would feel the same frustration in your shoes.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Interested. 

I’m a bit confused. I didn’t think Allure left until Sunday?

This happened last Sunday for 7 day “Western Caribbean” Mexico cruise. I took to forum tonight  after endless RCCL stonewalling. 

Edited by motopolitico
Clarification of itinerary.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

So, what did you think would happen?

I thought they would have as a bare minimum some form of compensation for at least one adult member of the party to remain with and care for the three year old. That was too compassionate for them.

I thought that when they verbally told us that we’d all be refunded, that representation would make it to writing. That would have been too truthful for them.

I thought that once they knew we had all decided not to board, that they would give us a straight answer about when / where/ how to pick up our luggage. That would have been too competent of them.

I thought that they would give us a straight answer about when the terminal closed. Also too competent. 

I thought that when I called customer service, I would be treated as a valued customer instead of lied to repeatedly. Far, far too much to expect, apparently?

Can you help me understand which of my expectations were unreasonable?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

So, what did you think would happen?

I have to agree.   With everything going on why would you try and take your sick child on a cruise ?  

sorry your getting a run around.  But you have to think the cruise line is getting hammered with calls and emails with millions of questions and people wanting to cancel and questions.    

if your sick.  Stay home. Just sayin.  

• Like 2

They can't just stay home. The way policies are written you have to go to the port and be denied boarding (because of illness) for the insurance to take effect. Otherwise people would just stay home and call in sick. They have insurance, they just have to work through it. Your TA should help you with the claim. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, motopolitico said:

I feel like a moron because I stupidly told the truth about my kid’s fever. RCLhas offered a future cruise credit for my 3 year old child and nobody else in our cabin. This is beyond ridiculous. Did they really expect that we would leave our sick three-year-old alone in South Florida for a week? Neither I nor my travel agent can get anybody at RCI to even talk. It’s been nonstop buck-passing. First the folks at the port told me to call RCCL customer service. Then they told me they wouldn’t discuss it with me, only my TA. Then when my TA called and conferenced me in, they told her they wouldn’t know what happened until the ship came back. These idiots couldn’t even keep their story straight about how / where / when we could get our luggage. Everyone keeps lying and passing the buck.

I’m tired of the lies and the buck-passing from RCI. Does anyone have any tips for bringing things to a resolution so I can know exactly how much I’ve been screwed over for? 

If we had lied, Allure could have been generating headlines costing RCCL millions. Why shaft us and refuse to even communicate?

Does anyone know of a way to contact them other than the customer disservice phone number?

Well done for being honest.

This is flu season and after the Diamond Princess problems everyone is paranoid.

A quick blood test needs to be available ASAP for coronavirus to avoid cases like yours and to calm everyone who is worried about losing their cruise,money or worse.

Below is the email we got from Royal for our upcoming Allure cruise.  Based on it I would expect a full refund for your party.  Obviously you did the right thing and obviously they can't expect a minor child to be left at the terminal while the parents go on the cruise.  

This will be interesting to follow, please keep the thread updated as it progresses.  I suggest using the email address above for Michael Bayley's office.  

Highlighted bullet points:

• Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.
  • All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard! Before you embark on your adventure, we have an important change to share with you. Please read through these updates carefully as a new region has been recently added.

Over the last few weeks, we’ve been carefully monitoring global developments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew, along with the ports we visit.

While this situation remains quite fluid, we’ve decided to make a change to our travel regulation to comply with guidance from the U.S. Centers of Disease Control, World Health Organization, and other public health authorities around the world and we wanted to make sure you were informed. 

Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

• Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:
    • Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy, Veneto, and Emilia-Romagna in the past 15 days.
    • Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy, Veneto, and Emilia-Romagna. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within 6 feet (2M) of a person.
    • Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptom.
  • There will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:
    • Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy (all regions other than Lombardy, Veneto, and Emilia-Romagna) in the past 15 days.
    • Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.
  • Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.
  • All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

We regret to have to do this. However, these precautions will help avoid the spread of this virus and will protect all guests and crew. We take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

If you or someone in your stateroom does not comply with our updated travel regulation, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately, or contact us at 1-800-256-6649 or visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/contactus for your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number.

Onboard our ships, we continue to take numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards. This includes:

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing,
  • Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day,
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing, 
  • Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests & crew,
  • Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

And, you can do your part too! Here are some important tips to help keep you healthy and prevent colds, flus, and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• After using the bathroom and before any meal or snack (it’s a cruise; we know there’s lots of that), make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
  • If you happen to sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve). Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
  • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

And remember, if you don’t feel well while you’re onboard, it’s imperative that you immediately visit our medical facility for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always ready to assist. Your safety and wellbeing are always our top priorities, but we also want you to have an amazing time. Stay clean, stay healthy, stay happy!

Lastly, should we have to make any changes to our newly implemented travel regulation, we will let you and your Travel Advisor know immediately. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

©2020 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships' registry: The Bahamas.
Royal Caribbean International
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132 USA

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Highlighted bullet points:

But, that does not mean the extended party (who were not/would not be denied boarding) will also get a full refund.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

But, that does not mean the extended party (who were not/would not be denied boarding) will also get a full refund.

To a junior employee probably not which is why I think this qualifies for involving the executive offices.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Coralc said:

They can't just stay home. The way policies are written you have to go to the port and be denied boarding (because of illness) for the insurance to take effect. Otherwise people would just stay home and call in sick. They have insurance, they just have to work through it. Your TA should help you with the claim. 

Correct. Our policy would have required a doctor to certify that Little One is incapable of traveling. LO fell sick the day of. No time to attempt it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptom.

Your entire party should have claimed to also suddenly feel unwell, I guess (this is why their written policy of only one person being refunded is dumb). Hopefully this is resolved adequately for you soon, and I'm sorry you had to miss your vacation. Hope the kid feels better soon.