Allure OTS: 3 year old child denied boarding due to Influenza.

6 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

We only choose to carry annual medical/evacuation, not cancellation (not offered on annual policy here). Ours does not ask health questions..  Perhaps we live in different countries.

We can afford the cancellation risk, financially and psychologically; most cannot, IMHO.  Most people should carry and use comprehensive insurance.

We live in the UK and you have to declare every medical condition otherwise your insurance is void and they won't entertain a claim.

When we rang the insurance company to let them know I had a heart attack and a stent fitted they instantly cancelled our policy and quoted a new policy at 12 times the price.

This was a company we had been with for 10 years.

The problem with insurance and everyone giving advice and stating positively what is covered and what is not is that every policy is different and without seeing the policy no one on her can state for sure what is covered and what is not.

The only sound advice is to have the OP contact her insurance company and go from there.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Why? The child tested positive for the flu, if this was two months ago, canceling for illness would be covered by insurance, if insurance wasn’t purchased, the cruise line would not have had to offered a refund.

Because a ship has been turned away at one of the ports when someone ended up only having the flu.  Given the reaction of some of the islands, it's better to turn away all families that present the flu with one member.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Journey99999 said:

Just stay informed and decide what is best........... go or not go. 🙂

Royal Caribbean's Facebook for Live Updates

And quoted from that link...

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

3 minutes ago, icsys said:

And quoted from that link...

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

The child was denied boarding, not the entire family.  There needs to be some concession made for the family of a minor who has been denied boarding.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The child was denied boarding, not the entire family.  There needs to be some concession made for the family of a minor who has been denied boarding.

And the child received a FCC not a full refund.... Yet!

Edited by icsys

12 hours ago, motopolitico said:

1. We can’t even file a claim against our travel insurance until RCI communicates with us. Fortunately we appear to have a valid trip interruption claim.

2. Kid fell sick on the day of travel. No time to get a doc letter beforehand, and RCCL would never take our word for it.

Our area has urgent care and emergency rooms. That would of been my first stop. 4 of us had a cruise out of mobile once that had a sick kid at dinning table next to us. He coughed non stop. By the end of the 5day cruise everyone in their party was sick. My husband was sick as a dog and sister in law had pneumonia and brother was coughing with fever. Sure wish that family had stayed home.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, motopolitico said:

1. We can’t even file a claim against our travel insurance until RCI communicates with us. Fortunately we appear to have a valid trip interruption claim.

2. Kid fell sick on the day of travel. No time to get a doc letter beforehand, and RCCL would never take our word for it.

I'm glad that you have travel insurance

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Exactly.  I'm not saying it would happen in this case, but it's possible if someone lives local to have a Grandparent, Aunt, Uncle, or other guardian come take the child and the rest of the party sails.  The remaining party has still been exposed to flu.  But, the same could be said just going to Wal-Mart, so where is the line in the sand.

1 minute ago, icsys said:

And the child received a FFC

And the parents should leave the little one on the dock for RCI to babysit?  Fare to take Uber home?  I'm not trying to be flip or snarky, just some common sense needs to prevail.  RCI does not allow a minor to sail alone.  To me, the expectation should be at least one parent would be provided reimbursement as well.  But really, you would want both parents not on the cruise since they more than likely have been in close contact with the child.

13 hours ago, motopolitico said:

You states they have influenza so I’m confused. What doctor would give a note saying it’s okay to go on a cruise if it’s influenza? 
it’s unfortunate but as others have stated Royal did their job.

Wishes for speedy recovery 

22 minutes ago, jk04 said:

I'm not saying it would happen in this case, but it's possible if someone lives local to have a Grandparent, Aunt, Uncle, or other guardian come take the child and the rest of the party sails.

Seriously ???      I'm not trying to be flippant either.

Would you leave your three year old behind, even if it was with extended family and carry on with your holiday????

What kind of a parent would do that?

Edited by icsys

8 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

You states they have influenza so I’m confused. What doctor would give a note saying it’s okay to go on a cruise if it’s influenza? 
it’s unfortunate but as others have stated Royal did their job.

Wishes for speedy recovery 

No Roay did not do their job. The new policy states that anyone denied boarding is given a full refund. So to their their job they needed to deny everyone boarding since one had a fever and the rest were in close contact with someone with a fever and give all full refund. So to do their job they should have denied boarding, given full refunds, some type of documentation that the refund would be given in X amount of days, and timely access to luggage. That would have been doing their job.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, icsys said:

Seriously ???

Would you leave your three year old behind, even if it was with extended family and carry on with your holiday????

What kind of a parent would do that?

I certainly would not that is for sure, refund or no refund.  But, there are some not so nice people out there.....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jensawesomeyay said:

You should get this on the news. Contact WSVN-7. They’d do a story I bet. On their website you’ll find the email for the news desk. Email them. 

I’m not yet ready to turn things up to 11. Also, I shouldn’t have to parade my kids in front of TV cameras for RCCL to communicate with me or my TA.

• Like 2

you Weren’t denied boarding and the insurance should cover you for an immediate family member becoming sick.

why should royal pay?  That is what the insurance is for. Travel with a minor and this is what could and has happened now and in the past.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, later said:

you Weren’t denied boarding and the insurance should cover you for an immediate family member becoming sick.

why should royal pay?  That is what the insurance is for. Travel with a minor and this is what could and has happened now and in the past.

Royal states on the website that anyone denied boarding for a fever will get a full refund. Why should Royal not do what they advertise?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Royal states on the website that anyone denied boarding for a fever will get a full refund. Why should Royal not do what they advertise?

The child was denied boarding. None of the rest of the party was denied boarding.  

Unfortunately with a minor someone has to stay behind but that doesn’t mean they were denied boarding.

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Our area has urgent care and emergency rooms. That would of been my first stop. 4 of us had a cruise out of mobile once that had a sick kid at dinning table next to us. He coughed non stop. By the end of the 5day cruise everyone in their party was sick. My husband was sick as a dog and sister in law had pneumonia and brother was coughing with fever. Sure wish that family had stayed home.

If someone is visibly sick, that person (and a parent) should be asked to avoid public places and get room service.  It's extremely rude to be near other people when you are sick.  We always move away from people who are coughing, but there are times when that's not possible.  On  day 2, which may have been too late for everyone, I would have requested a different table.

Edited by TNcruising02

2 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

Yes, but read the policy. Many CFAR required you to cancel 2 to 3 days in advance. So it would not even apply is someone gets sick the day of the cruise. 

The "for any reason" part would not apply, but the "someone got sick and can't go" part of the policy would still be in full force.

For all the griping and complaining in this thread, the fact of the matter is that Royal did their job by preventing a sick person from boarding.  The sick person's family has travel insurance to get their money back from, which is what they need to be doing -- not dunning Royal for "denial of boarding" paperwork or for refunds for people who weren't denied boarding.

It's NOT ROYAL'S JOB to insure everyone's trips.  We see it over and over and over again on this forum!  Someone has a death in the family  -- not Royal's job to refund the trip -- you should've had trip insurance.  Someone has gall bladder surgery -- not Royal's job to refund the trip -- you should've had trip insurance.  Someone fell down the stairs and broke their leg and can't travel -- not Royal's job to refund the trip -- you should've had trip insurance. 

Now it's someone got the flu -- but all of a sudden it's Royal's job to refund the trip, even though you actually have trip insurance?

And no, I don't work for the cruise line -- I'm just an intelligent, rational, logical person who can understand how businesses work and what personal responsibility is. 

It's not Royal's fault that some idiot held his granddaughter up to an open window and dropped her 100+ feet, and it's not Royal's fault that someone wanted to take their sick and contagious child on a cruise.  Personal responsibility, folks.  

Buy travel insurance and file a claim -- it's not Royal's job to refund the trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If someone is visibly sick, that person (and a parent) should be asked to avoid public places and get room service.  It's extremely rude to be near other people when you are sick.  We always move away from people who are coughing, but there are times when that's not possible.  On  day 2, which may have been too late for everyone, I would have requested a different table.

On our Allure cruise last week was impossible to move away from people who were coughing. It seems everyone over 70 had a cold....

They were allowed to board though. Just wait until the seniors start being denied boarding...

This forum will blow up!!!

• Like 3