Celebrity No Refund Virus

James E H

33 minutes ago, Hllb said:

It's not about them being buried. I was able to get a hold of an agent to answer questions in a pretty short amount of time.  But apparently, only certain agents deal with AAA policies and those agents won't talk to you.  Super poor design.  And, I sent an email 8 days ago and got no response from that either.  There is no mechanism for me to contact the right agents to talk to. That is completely unacceptable. 

Guess it is time to change carriers, would you say?

bon voyage

41 minutes ago, Hllb said:

It's not about them being buried. I was able to get a hold of an agent to answer questions in a pretty short amount of time.  But apparently, only certain agents deal with AAA policies and those agents won't talk to you.  Super poor design.  And, I sent an email 8 days ago and got no response from that either.  There is no mechanism for me to contact the right agents to talk to. That is completely unacceptable. 

Dang. AAA has their own flavor of policy. The problem there is AAA wanting a different "deal".  Sort of like a reservation with a TA vs. Celebrity. The TAs can offer extras.

2 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Dang. AAA has their own flavor of policy. The problem there is AAA wanting a different "deal".  Sort of like a reservation with a TA vs. Celebrity. The TAs can offer extras.

Live and learn, right?  #planningfail

Despite the fact that the OP only seems to be on a rant the thread and recent events does make you think. I personally will probably not do the least expensive insurance but read the policies more carefully. We did book CFR for the first time last December and it was not that much more. I always have booked refundable hotels as I have often changed my hotels two or three times before the actual trip no change there. Airlines for domestic flights we have Southwest here so I always have had them as my first choice. I use points with them and when I change my fights they refund the points. I have used cruise line air for international travel and will pay more attention to that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lamb616 said:

i did a search of my policy and there's no mention anywhere of epidemic or pandemic (I searched for the words) ....what other words would it be under, anyone know?

I've never looked this closely at the policy.  Did y'all know that under the Accidental Dealth section, the following is excluded:   stroke or cerebrovascular accident or event, cardiovascular accident or event, myocardial infarction or heart attack, coronary thrombosis or aneurysm.

Jeez!

Also, for the first time ever, for some reason, I bought the Cancel for Any Reason AND the upgraded medical coverage. Hopefully I don't have to use any of it; I'm holding out for my July trip.

I just looked at our policy. We did not choose to purchase cancel for any reason, but its cancellation coverage reasons includes the following:

"If the Center for Disease Control issues a travel warning that travel should be avoided to Your destination country or region for a period of time that would include Your Trip." 

Since CDC has Italy on a list to avoid non-essential travel, I assume that plan would cover any losses for people planning to cruise to/from there.

Our upcoming trip is to northern Europe out of UK. I am still hoping to go, but I am relieved to know that the policy we got covers us if CDC puts them on their travel advisory list.

8 hours ago, Lord Complainalot said:

Some of you who Posted that the Airlines and or Hotels will issue credits must not fly very often, if at all. As a frequent First Class/Business flyer, I can state categorically Airlines no not issue credits or refunds on non-refundable or non-changeable tickets. If you think your plans may change in the future then you will need to purchase a Flexi ticket, the cost of which is so cost prohibitive that it does not make economical sense to do so.

Refunds, I agree.  Credits, I don't agree with the blanket statement.  They are done under certain circumstances.  I only say this because we have personally received credits for future flights for our nonrefundable tickets.  Have also changed nonrefundable tickets to different flights with no fees involved which is essentially the same as a credit for another flight.  Our carrier's Fare rules allow that, again under certain circumstances.  

BTW, Just recently UA announced they will allow rebookings without penalty for all fare types booked for March.  

• Thanks 1

The  "OP" has never posted another word here......must be enjoying all of us (me included) responding to his somewhat absurd post indicating that X should pay for anything that wasn't booked through them.... 

How much longer will we go on????😁

• Haha 1

We have had three cruises cancelled by Celebrity directly. Each time we were given up to $200 pp towards an airline rebooking fee. Even if your ticket is “non refundable”, you can rebook at a later time minus the $200 fee ( Delta airlines rules). 

2 hours ago, mamaday said:

We have had three cruises cancelled by Celebrity directly. Each time we were given up to $200 pp towards an airline rebooking fee. Even if your ticket is “non refundable”, you can rebook at a later time minus the $200 fee ( Delta airlines rules). 

And Delta "waived" my change fee when my April Japan cruise was canceled. I talked to them and was able to change the ticket in order to use it for my upcoming Celebrity BTB cruises in October in the Med. (Assuming the stars align.....it departs from Venice.) What a year!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

And Delta "waived" my change fee when my April Japan cruise was canceled. I talked to them and was able to change the ticket in order to use it for my upcoming Celebrity BTB cruises in October in the Med. (Assuming the stars align.....it departs from Venice.) What a year!

Not Delta but had the same experience switching our original SFO to Hong Kong flight to an SFO to Singapore.  Done without any fees.   And, this was before Coronavirus.

What a year indeed!  It is sure stacking up to be one that we will likely remember.

• Like 1

We booked flight to Dublin for our August cruise and decided to pay at that time(maybe in November).  My understanding is that if we booked through Celebrity(which we did) the flight was non-refundable. However an option was not to pay for the flight until final payment.  Obviously I did not do that and I guess I am out of luck.

I keep hoping that Celebrity will be fair with its customers but my hope is just a hope.

15 minutes ago, dazey said:

We booked flight to Dublin for our August cruise and decided to pay at that time(maybe in November).  My understanding is that if we booked through Celebrity(which we did) the flight was non-refundable. However an option was not to pay for the flight until final payment.  Obviously I did not do that and I guess I am out of luck.

I keep hoping that Celebrity will be fair with its customers but my hope is just a hope.

Dazey, are you talking about voluntarily cancelling a cruise & flight or is Celebrity cancelling the cruise.  Seems it might make a  difference, but truth is I don't really know.   

8 hours ago, Hllb said:

Sounds pretty bad.  Just to make sure I understand, you have a travel insurance policy purchased via AAA that is actually underwritten by Allianz.  I agree that the scenario you describe it unacceptable.  Consider contacting your state insurance department and making a complaint.  That will likely shake them loose.   

I hope it all works out for the best.   

We are due to go to Europe in April/May maunly  because of the itenerary but Europe seems as though much of what we want to do and see may be closed - example the Louvre , Berlin city centers, Italy is already bust -   etc...

So I fear we are on a cruise to nowhere as I have learned the the cruise " contract " promises very little in this unique situation . They can sail around in a circle and not one cruiser is expected to grumble much less request a voucher  or rebook . Others may want to risk their health, being quarantined in a foreign country , loss of income even serious health issues but we know from the Japan ship that was quarantined - fiasco. As it stands I do not think our family will enjoy this cruise how possible is social distancing on a ship? How will the Saunas and thermal suites be relaxing. We are soul sick knowing our trip that we saved up for may be lost.  Again worse case scenario is quarantine due to medication my son has to have and not willing to risk his health of not being able to get it even with extra. I know I will get slammed for my opinion which is a shame as it just that-  my opinion. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Sounds pretty bad.  Just to make sure I understand, you have a travel insurance policy purchased via AAA that is actually underwritten by Allianz.  I agree that the scenario you describe it unacceptable.  Consider contacting your state insurance department and making a complaint.  That will likely shake them loose.   

I hope it all works out for the best.   

Yes, that’s it exactly. We’ll see if they actually call me. So ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Yes, that’s it exactly. We’ll see if they actually call me. So ridiculous.

Agree not acceptable. I had a laugh today. Went to local Costco to purchase a few things. Manager put a pack of TP in my cart. Said to get it now as they will be out tomorrow of paper products.

Guess what was a few feet away? AAA. They were mobbed. Dozens of people. Clerk told me if I just needed maps to step back and take what I needed. Thought is was very accommodating AS I am not a member. 😊

Thought you might like a smile. 

They are buried. Totally.

24 minutes ago, Geordieshore7575 said:

We are due to go to Europe in April/May maunly  because of the itenerary but Europe seems as though much of what we want to do and see may be closed - example the Louvre , Berlin city centers, Italy is already bust -   etc...

So I fear we are on a cruise to nowhere as I have learned the the cruise " contract " promises very little in this unique situation . They can sail around in a circle and not one cruiser is expected to grumble much less request a voucher  or rebook . Others may want to risk their health, being quarantined in a foreign country , loss of income even serious health issues but we know from the Japan ship that was quarantined - fiasco. As it stands I do not think our family will enjoy this cruise how possible is social distancing on a ship? How will the Saunas and thermal suites be relaxing. We are soul sick knowing our trip that we saved up for may be lost.  Again worse case scenario is quarantine due to medication my son has to have and not willing to risk his health of not being able to get it even with extra. I know I will get slammed for my opinion which is a shame as it just that-  my opinion. 

Huh, I don't see what opinions you shared that would result in anyone doing any slamming.  At least I hope they don't.  

Some think there is no cause for worry and some think there is cause for worry.  And of course, all point in between the two.   Right now I think I tend to lean in the same direction as you.  The potential disappointment and waste of $$ sucks.  But if we decide it is for the best to cancel our future cruise I can live with that.      

@lamb616 Your insurance policy probably contains an accidental death provision that is intended to provide what is essentially life insurance for death occurring due to an accident. Accidental death policies routinely exclude coverage for medical conditions that result in stroke, heart attack, artery ruptures, etc. Treatments for such conditions are still covered by your policy's medical coverage. Just no life insurance because those events, while unexpected, are internally rather than externally caused.

Nothing surprising--it allows them to give you a small life insurance (mine is 10k) without a medical exam.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We had non refundable airline and hotel reservations.  The airline reservation was through Choice Air and the airline cancelled our flight.  According to European law the airline must issue you a refund if the flight was cancelled.  In light of this Choice Air did issue me a refund.  I do not know who you had your reservation with but if it is was a cancelled flight then you should contact the airline directly and also check to see what the country's policy is regarding cancelled flights.  Our non refundable airline ticket with Delta was non refundable but they have agreed to issue a refund when the flight was cancelled.  Our non refundable Marriott reservation was generously refunded.  You might want to try reaching out to the airline and hotels.  My experience with the non refundable reservations has been very positive although understandably slow in being refunded.  Good luck

Edited by LMaraist
spelling error
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LMaraist said:

.  Our non refundable Marriott reservation was generously refunded.  You might want to try reaching out to the airline and hotels.  My experience with the non refundable reservations has been very positive although understandably slow in being refunded.  Good luck

LMaraist,

Did you reserved non refundable hotel directly with Marriott?  If you don’t mind to give a hint What is the best way getting a refund for NR reservations? I booked Hilton FCO thru Expedia. Any help is appreciate.

Thanks

Cruise lines are handing out fcc often when they should be issuing complete refunds.  That is especially true when the cruise was canceled by the cruise line, not the client.  The added expenses should be paid by the cruise line. If not, travel insurance or credit card could pay.  Don’t just give up.  Your vacation got canned. You should not have to absorb extra expenses. As for the fcc, it could be worthless.  

1 hour ago, txd said:

LMaraist,

Did you reserved non refundable hotel directly with Marriott?  If you don’t mind to give a hint What is the best way getting a refund for NR reservations? I booked Hilton FCO thru Expedia. Any help is appreciate.

Thanks

In early March I cancelled a 5 week trip that was scheduled for mostly Scotland and Sweden.  Rental cars, attraction passes, trains, ferries, airlines, cruises and accommodations.  All not refundable.

American Airlines gave a credit.  Celebrity half credit - rest refunded.

Accomodations all but one 100% credit.

If I had waited till April all would have refunded.  All very helpful except one.

Hi txd.  I made my reservation thru Chase rewards and they refunded my reward points.  This is the info I got online relative to Hilton's policy.   

Hilton

Hilton has a similar policy to Marriott, last updated March 25. Guests can change or cancel existing and new reservations at no charge until June 30, even those noted as non-cancelable.

I would contact Expedia and quote this policy to them.  They should give you a refund if you cancelled your reservation. If that does not work I would contact Hilton directly and quote them this policy,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LMaraist said:

Hi txd.  I made my reservation thru Chase rewards and they refunded my reward points.  This is the info I got online relative to Hilton's policy.   

Hilton

Hilton has a similar policy to Marriott, last updated March 25. Guests can change or cancel existing and new reservations at no charge until June 30, even those noted as non-cancelable.

I would contact Expedia and quote this policy to them.  They should give you a refund if you cancelled your reservation. If that does not work I would contact Hilton directly and quote them this policy,

LMaraist, will follow your recommendations. Big thanks 

20 hours ago, LMaraist said:

Hilton

Same here, with Marriott. Allowed cancellation of non-refundable res, no problem.