MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

8 hours ago, meechee341 said:

If you want that kind of security, then you have to be willing to pay a bit more money and go with the bigger, more established American cruise lines.  

Just out of interest Carnival turnover 2019 $20 bn      MSC 2015 $28 bn 

I think you'll find MSC are not paupers or weren't when the coronavirus arrived. They have plans to launch huge new ships every year which, I suppose, it's now safe to assume will be modified

My family and I love MSC and will cruise with them whenever we are able to do so. We've been on all the Queens and many American and other lines. We'd travel on any of them again primarily being interested in itineraries and then price 

Beware anything I write hasn't necessarily had the juraspark seal of approval...........info from wiki and you know how misleading that can be😁

Edited by Intergalactic Cruiser
added text
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Just out of interest Carnival turnover 2019 $20 bn      MSC 2015 $28 bn 

I think you'll find MSC are not paupers or weren't when the coronavirus arrived. They have plans to launch huge new ships every year which, I suppose, it's now safe to assume will be modified

My family and I love MSC and will cruise with them whenever we are able to do so. We've been on all the Queens and many American and other lines. We'd travel on any of them again primarily being interested in itineraries and then price 

Beware anything I write hasn't necessarily had the juraspark seal of approval...........info from wiki and you know how misleading that can be😁

Thanks for some facts and not fear.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Assuming you booked under UK Terms & Conditions you will definitely get your money back if MSC cancelled your cruise.

Just look at - https://www.msccruises.co.uk/terms-conditions and goto 15.2 (a)

You say this but has anyone actually been given a full refund regardless of what the T&Cs say, would be nice to see some actual proof that they have been offered a full refund.

As section 14 seems to suggest 15 is not applicable although im no contract lawyer so maybe im wrong.

Anyway i need to get back to my corona shopping need to get the next 2 months of frozen goods in the new chest freezer i just had delivered.

Edited by niko40

1 hour ago, niko40 said:

You say this but has anyone actually been given a full refund regardless of what the T&Cs say, would be nice to see some actual proof that they have been offered a full refund.

A contract is a contract that defines the legal requirements of both parties.  If MSC cancel your cruise they are legally bound to refund as 15.2 (a) states.  Failure to do so will result in legal action which they would be unable to defend.  Small claims court are a cheap way to address your claim if they are so stupid to challenge.

When passengers cancel they always make reference to their T&C.  Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Edited by mickey89
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I am curious to know this also - has anyone opted (or tried to opt) for a refund instead of a FCC and if so, what have they been told by MSC?

All I can say is that on Monday 9th March I wrote to MSC UK,  that is the day BEFORE the Lirica cruises were cancelled. I was concerned about my GPs refusal, at that stage, to write a letter advising me it was unsafe to travel with my cardiovascular history. That would have been clearly appropriate and without it my travel insurers were not to willing to support me. I asked MSC to make suggestions.

The very next day, Tuesday 10th, the cruise was cancelled owing to the UAE closing down the Dubai and other ports

The following day on Wednesday 11th MSC wrote to me acknowledging my predicament and promising to report back this week. 

On Friday 13th (!) I wrote back saying that as the situation has radically changed would they please consider refunding the £4,483 paid, pointing out that other cruise companies were refunding cancelled cruise costs in full if requested, rather than FCCs that had been offered

I had an answer on Monday, yesterday, acknowledging my mail and promising a response to my enquiry but not confirming a policy

Increasingly edgy because I was not the only one finding some ambiguity about the option of a refund under 15.2 - it was unclear whose choice it would be to refund, MSCs or mine. I called MSC UK on 0203 426 3010 imagining a very long hold wait. I was speaking to a team member within 5 minutes. I took the positive route and asked how I should request a full refund. I was told there was  NO problem in them refunding in full and I should send in a request by email to

cancellation@msccruises.co.uk 

I did that immediately and received this response an hour ago.

We have noted your request for a refund for reference **********
Please be advised that we will be working in order of date received and you will be advise as soon as the request has been processed.

We appreciate your patience,  

Kind Regards

Now, understand I've not had a confirmation the refund will in fact be made but I do have hope. I've written back to thank MSC for their prompt response, recognising the huge task they have in processing my refund but requesting that in the meantime could they please confirm the full refund was being made sooner rather than later. 

I also know of no-one who has had actually received a refund but it is, maybe, early for that to happen given MSC's workload difficulties. However I certainly now live with more optimism. I'm trusting the positive statement from the team member yesterday that a refund was definitely due. 

I have requested there be recording of every call I have had with MSC 

I am so impressed with the way they have handled my things even though we're all champing at the bit for definitive answers.

I will keep the site up to date with progress, trusting that others will do the same, of course.

Sad, though, that like those in the UK with my demography I've been confined to barracks now. DIY seems to have appeared on the schedule plus walking in the countryside but not with others apart from my trusty companion, my long suffering and sub 70 wife/babe.

100% accurate juraspark and I have absolutely no delusions of grandeur and I'm in no way a drama queen. I very much realise I'm just a spot in the universe getting more and more insignificant by the day. However I do retain a sense of humour as infantile as it is. Sad that your condition appears to prevent you from lightening up. I'm full of mental, if not physical, enthusiasm and joie de vive 

E and O E and Without Prejudice

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

A contract is a contract that defines the legal requirements of both parties.  If MSC cancel your cruise they are legally bound to refund as 15.2 (a) states.  Failure to do so will result in legal action which they would be unable to defend.  Small claims court are a cheap way to address your claim if they are so stupid to challenge.

When passengers cancel they always make reference to their T&C.  Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Sorry Mickey but lawyers could drive a coach and horses through the ambiguity of 15.2 but as I've just posted hopefully it won't come to that.

28 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Sorry Mickey but lawyers could drive a coach and horses through the ambiguity of 15.2 but as I've just posted hopefully it won't come to that.

29 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I ought to mention that the info I gave earlier is regarding a 4th April cruise and I guess cases are being dealt with chronologically by cruise date which is fair enough

Thanks for posting your actual situation hopefully you will be able to update us with a positive outcome 

48 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I am glad we have a Lawyer amongst us.....🤣   Maybe you can explain the ambiguity of 15.2, for simplicity I have attached :-

15.2 If the cancellation prior to departure is due to an event of Force Majeure and/or any unusual /or unforeseeable circumstances beyond MSC Cruises or the Company’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided by MSC Cruises or the Company even though they have exercised all due care, MSC Cruises or the Company will offer the Passenger the choice of: 
a) Receiving a full refund of all money paid; or 
b) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost, if available; or 
c) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price.

If we are just quoating 

14.4 If MSC Cruises or the Company has to make a significant change or cancel before departure, MSC Cruises or the Company will where compensation is
appropriate, depending on the circumstances and when the significant change or cancellation is notified to the Passenger, subject to the following exceptions listed below compensation will not be payable and no liability beyond offering the above mentioned choices can be accepted where MSC Cruises or the Company is forced to make a change or cancel as a result of unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which MSC Cruises or the Company could not have avoided with all due care .

lets just let real people let us know the facts in a real situation we can all quote. 4s or .2s ffs

Edited by niko40

34 minutes ago, niko40 said:

Thanks for posting your actual situation hopefully you will be able to update us with a positive outcome 

21 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I am glad we have a Lawyer amongst us.....🤣   Maybe you can explain the ambiguity of 15.2, for simplicity I have attached :-

15.2 If the cancellation prior to departure is due to an event of Force Majeure and/or any unusual /or unforeseeable circumstances beyond MSC Cruises or the Company’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided by MSC Cruises or the Company even though they have exercised all due care, MSC Cruises or the Company will offer the Passenger the choice of: 
a) Receiving a full refund of all money paid; or 
b) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost, if available; or 
c) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price.

I'm definitely not a lawyer just noted the ambiguous wording. MSC say a choice will be offered but it doesn't make it clear who will choose the option them or the passenger. From the conversation I had yesterday the passenger can have a refund but must write into make the request - so that's good

I live in hopes

2 hours ago, mickey89 said:

I think (really hope) that ultimately MSC will do the correct thing.  However I brought this up a couple of weeks ago.  Just how easy is it to file a small claims against a company based in another country?  No one at the time replied.  I have a friend that is a lawyer so the one instance I really looked to be headed that way she wrote a letter and the company folded immediately.  But not everyone has that out.

And for whoever is asking about if anyone has received a refund (I honestly cant keep track with all the back and forth bickering), I wouldnt expect that anyone has received anything more than just a promise of a refund.  Right now, regular refunds are delayed to up to 14 business days and we arent that far away from the first cancellation.  I know it may seem like splitting hairs but I wouldnt be too comfortable about a refund until it actually hit my card.  We are probably at least 10 days away from anyone seeing an actual refund from a cancellation.

7 minutes ago, aprilF said:

I think (really hope) that ultimately MSC will do the correct thing.  However I brought this up a couple of weeks ago.  Just how easy is it to file a small claims against a company based in another country?  No one at the time replied.  I have a friend that is a lawyer so the one instance I really looked to be headed that way she wrote a letter and the company folded immediately.  But not everyone has that out.

And for whoever is asking about if anyone has received a refund (I honestly cant keep track with all the back and forth bickering), I wouldnt expect that anyone has received anything more than just a promise of a refund.  Right now, regular refunds are delayed to up to 14 business days and we arent that far away from the first cancellation.  I know it may seem like splitting hairs but I wouldnt be too comfortable about a refund until it actually hit my card.  We are probably at least 10 days away from anyone seeing an actual refund from a cancellation.

Understood and I'll keep it non controversial. If I receive confirmation of a refund being given to me I'll put it up. Out of interest when I cancelled our three Excursions online last week the MSC UK refund hit my credit card account within 24hrs.

added text
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Understood and I'll keep it non controversial. If I receive confirmation of a refund being given to me I'll put it up. Out of interest when I cancelled our three Excursions online last week the MSC UK refund hit my credit card account within 24hrs.

Appreciated.  🙂

The excursion/cruise fare discrepancy in return time frames was happening before the world went sideways.  I'm guessing they are really two different departments.  Happy to see the excursions (+room decor + spa) can still be refunded quickly.  ICR which category the drink packages were in but I am leaning towards the excursion side just because of how it can be booked.

So my situation is different than many of you, but just to keep you posted, I cancelled while within my 100% refund phase for a June cruise out of Venice.  I had booked through a TA using mainly credit card rewards points - only 10% of the cruise did I pay in cash. But those points can be used on any kind of travel and have real value to me, although again, it wasn't like I was out of pocket.  I was told I would receive refund in 1-2 billing cycles (months).  This was 15 days ago.  I realized that my TA had never sent me a confirming email, and when I went on MSC site today it still showed me booked, so I started to get worried.  But I actually am STILL within my cancel phase... nonetheless, I called my TA who confirmed they had cancelled and said she went on MSC site and it shows my cancellation processing. 

I will say that a few days before I cancelled the cruise I cancelled all my excursions (about $1k worth) and they were immediately refunded to my CC, but I guess cancelling the entire cruise involves more.  I did have someone else tell me on Cruise Critic that in the past (pre-COVID) they had been told it would take that long to get a cancelled cruise reimbursed, but it only took a few days.    For me it has been 15 days and no refund but I understand these are different times.

I am REALLY curious if MSC is going to allow those on cancelled cruises to get a refund.  Please, I am not interested in debating whether people should take a FCC or a refund, I really just want to know if they are allowing a refund on cruises they were forced to cancel.  For me, this will be a factor in whether I book with MSC again.  I am still hoping that somehow things will be good by June and I can rebook this cruise, I am just not counting on it.

7 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

So my situation is different than many of you, but just to keep you posted, I cancelled while within my 100% refund phase for a June cruise out of Venice.  I had booked through a TA using mainly credit card rewards points - only 10% of the cruise did I pay in cash. But those points can be used on any kind of travel and have real value to me, although again, it wasn't like I was out of pocket.  I was told I would receive refund in 1-2 billing cycles (months).  This was 15 days ago.  I realized that my TA had never sent me a confirming email, and when I went on MSC site today it still showed me booked, so I started to get worried.  But I actually am STILL within my cancel phase... nonetheless, I called my TA who confirmed they had cancelled and said she went on MSC site and it shows my cancellation processing. 

I will say that a few days before I cancelled the cruise I cancelled all my excursions (about $1k worth) and they were immediately refunded to my CC, but I guess cancelling the entire cruise involves more.  I did have someone else tell me on Cruise Critic that in the past (pre-COVID) they had been told it would take that long to get a cancelled cruise reimbursed, but it only took a few days.    For me it has been 15 days and no refund but I understand these are different times.

I am REALLY curious if MSC is going to allow those on cancelled cruises to get a refund.  Please, I am not interested in debating whether people should take a FCC or a refund, I really just want to know if they are allowing a refund on cruises they were forced to cancel.  For me, this will be a factor in whether I book with MSC again.  I am still hoping that somehow things will be good by June and I can rebook this cruise, I am just not counting on it.

Well despite my optimism of yesterday I'm feeling less so now. Mail received yesterday pm

Thank you for your email. 

We have noted your request for a refund for reference *********
Please be advised that we will be working in order of date received and you will be advise as soon as the request has been processed.

We appreciate your patience,  

Kind Regards
Cancellations 

I wasn't expecting the refund yet just a 'written' acknowledgement that one would be coming rather than just on the basis of the phone call I had with them a couple of days ago. For a cruise MSC cancelled I think it would have been as simple to give me that reassurance as to write the above mail and have reassured others to.

Back to the waiting game.

added text
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

FWIW when I called MSC (US) yesterday you have to listen to a whole spiel about canceled cruises and the CA program.  For the canceled cruises they did mention a refund.  Now Ive seen plenty of people here and on DIS call a credit a refund so maybe they are thinking a refund of the value/ credit.  But, to me, refund means a refund of cash.

As of last Thursday my dr was saying that I could possibly still make it to Italy in May.  I was certain she would say to cancel and I was OK with that.  She didnt say the odds were great but that it might be OK.  I dont think I want to take a cruise then anymore but if we change our minds I suspect we will be able to snag a cabin on that same sailing without too much of a price difference.  Yesterday when I was seeing if my cabin was back in the inventory yet, the cabin was only $40 more than the refund I was receiving and that was less the $400 deposit.  I will probably keep an eye on our cabin because I am just the type that cant not.

Edited by aprilF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aprilF said:

FWIW when I called MSC (US) yesterday you have to listen to a whole spiel about canceled cruises and the CA program.  For the canceled cruises they did mention a refund.  Now Ive seen plenty of people here and on DIS call a credit a refund so maybe they are thinking a refund of the value/ credit.  But, to me, refund means a refund of cash.

As of last Thursday my dr was saying that I could possibly still make it to Italy in May.  I was certain she would say to cancel and I was OK with that.  She didnt say the odds were great but that it might be OK.  I dont think I want to take a cruise then anymore but if we change our minds I suspect we will be able to snag a cabin on that same sailing without too much of a price difference.  Yesterday when I was seeing if my cabin was back in the inventory yet, the cabin was only $40 more than the refund I was receiving and that was less the $400 deposit.  I will probably keep an eye on our cabin because I am just the type that cant not.

OK so I'm back to being optimistic. With MSC UK having yesterday, Tuesday 17th, acknowledged my asking for a refund but saying they would be processing my request, when they got to my name in their list, I wrote and asked if at least they could confirm one would be on the way in due course. I received this just now and am clinging on to getting a full refund rather than anything less.

image.png.8df9f7d5f45d9c05112cc30f67ea83c0.png

AprilF, T and C's 15. gives 3 options. Since It is clear I have asked for a refund of money paid under 15.2 a) and this has been confirmed then options b and c offering FCCs aren't relevant.

Just a note again to say make your own enquiries, don't just accept my experience as being the same for you. Also in my case MSC have cancelled the cruise not me and I am writing from the UK

AND I don't have the money yet

So everyone keep hopeful and staysafe

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 7:19 AM, sidari said:

For the avoidance of doubt, the current terms for UK customers is that you can cancel up to 48 hours before a booked cruise and rebook a new cruise before December 31 2021, this only applies to fully paid up cruises for departure on or before June 30th 2020, and 96 hours before for cruise and fly. The cruise has to be in the same Geographic area as the cruise booked.

Other than this it is a case of waiting until MSC cancel your cruise and see what offer they make.

There is no flexibility then if the FCC can only be used for cruises in the same Geographic area.  I was under the impression you can use the FCC for any MSC cruises.

• Like 1