Corona virus : cruise or postpone?

Bake apple

ural guy;  I believe it is travel From Europe; not to Europe.  The President is trying to protect US citizens by not allowing any possibility of people coming here who may be infected

Well, now we don't have to make a decision about our Avalon cruise in France.  We were just talking about being quarantined on the way home (we were supposed to depart 3/20).  I'm proud of Trump, he did the right thing, no politics, no baloney, just what's best for the good ol' USA.  A huge disappointment, but I'll live.  Avalon's stepping right up too, so we can look forward to France in the autumn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Well, now we don't have to make a decision about our Avalon cruise in France.  We were just talking about being quarantined on the way home (we were supposed to depart 3/20).  I'm proud of Trump, he did the right thing, no politics, no baloney, just what's best for the good ol' USA.  A huge disappointment, but I'll live.  Avalon's stepping right up too, so we can look forward to France in the autumn.

You STILL have to make a decision. The restrictions don't apply to U.S. citizens (making them useless), but you can absolutely return following your cruise. Go and return in good health should you keep the booking.

As of March 11, 2020, Viking is temporarily suspending operations of our river and ocean cruises, for embarkations taking place between March 12 to April 30, 2020. We believe Viking will be in a better place to provide the experiences our guests expect and deserve after this time and plan to resume operations on May 1, 2020, continuing all further sailings as originally planned.

When itinerary changes are required, impacted guests and their travel agents are notified directly by Viking Customer Relations. Please log onto MyVikingJourney.com for details regarding your specific voyage.

7 hours ago, timesurfer7 said:

As of March 11, 2020, Viking is temporarily suspending operations of our river and ocean cruises, for embarkations taking place between March 12 to April 30, 2020. We believe Viking will be in a better place to provide the experiences our guests expect and deserve after this time and plan to resume operations on May 1, 2020, continuing all further sailings as originally planned.

When itinerary changes are required, impacted guests and their travel agents are notified directly by Viking Customer Relations. Please log onto MyVikingJourney.com for details regarding your specific voyage.

Yep, just read this. Let’s see if others follow suit. I see Princess has followed with their ocean voyages. Thank you for sharing.

I'm sure that we will be getting more information or clarification, but what we have read says that travel from European countries will be banned into the US, not going to Europe.  However, this would impact people trying to get back to the US.  I guess we will wait and see what exactly is the truth!

Now they are saying they will funnel US citizens into 13 airports if they have visited the 26 countries that are most affected.  So, more clarification will be coming our way, I'm assuming.

13 hours ago, RadioPeri said:

You STILL have to make a decision. The restrictions don't apply to U.S. citizens (making them useless), but you can absolutely return following your cruise. Go and return in good health should you keep the booking.

Huh?  If I can't come back home, the decision to cancel the cruise has been made for me.  Avalon issued a 100% letter of credit immediately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Huh?  If I can't come back home, the decision to cancel the cruise has been made for me.  Avalon issued a 100% letter of credit immediately.

Are you US citizen, if you are, you can come home.  You are not banned from coming home.

So the decision is still in your hand.  

Ultimately, the cruise line has the final decision.  They might just cancel the whole thing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Are you US citizen, if you are, you can come home.  You are not banned from coming home.

Ultimately, the cruise line has the final decision.  They might just cancel the whole thing.

Yes,

But the airlines will most likely cancel your Europe flight back to the US because of the travel ban, or from lack of passengers.

And even if you're lucky to get flight back, you're most likely to be quarantined for 2 weeks either there in Europe, or once back home at an awesome military base.

We've just cancel, since we don't wanna take that chance... 

4 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Yes,

But the airlines will most likely cancel your Europe flight back to the US because of the travel ban, or from lack of passengers.

And even if you're lucky to get flight back, you're most likely to be quarantined for 2 weeks either there in Europe, or once back home at an awesome military base.

We've just cancel, since we don't wanna take that chance... 

Well, getting flight back might be challenging.

As for getting quarantined, even when you actually get the coronavirus in the state, they don't quarantine you.  They just tell you to stay at home.  You are very unlikely to be in an awesome military base.

DOD civilian, leave was canceled.  No visit to Ireland followed by Tulip cruise... by noon I had a Memorandum signed by Garrison Commander stating leave was denied, and blessed by JAG.

Vantage lady very happy when I called and informed her we had insurance and they had already indicated this would be covered.  They don't have to give us credits, or our money back.  We would have been departing next Friday.  Vantage sent e-mail saying that they understand we want to cancel, and they'll call us to set up details.  Insurance is through USAA, the employment cancellation option was $48 for myself and spouse.  Real glad I got it.

AmaWaterways just posted in their loyalty Facebook group that they are voluntarily cancelling all European cruises through April 25: 

We would like to take this opportunity to inform you about the latest information regarding your upcoming river cruise with AmaWaterways. Your health and safety, and the wellbeing of our staff and crew, are of the utmost importance and we must be vigilant and responsible in ensuring your safety during these uncertain times. As a result of the recent travel restrictions, we are voluntarily suspending the operations of our European river cruise fleet and cancelling all of our Europe river cruises through April 25, 2020.

With this in mind, we want to assure you that your long-awaited travel plans will be protected. We are therefore providing two options for you.

•    1. Future Cruise Credit: We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equal to 115% of the value of your AmaWaterways purchased services, redeemable on any Europe or Mekong River sailing through December 31, 2022. 

•    2. Full Monetary Refund: If you prefer, you may elect to instead receive a full monetary refund on all services purchased through AmaWaterways.

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding your river cruise cancellation, FCC or refund, please contact your travel advisor as we are in direct communication with them regarding current developments on our policies. If you choose to contact us directly, please note we are experiencing a higher than normal call volume, as expected.

We are disappointed that we are unable to fulfill your journey at this time, but we are confident that our ships will make a successful return to the rivers soon and hope to welcome you aboard one of AmaWaterways’ many future sailings.

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

Coli,  that is good news.  Ural Guy,  what kind of insurance did you purchase thru USAA?

Uniworld have posted something on their website and Facebook page as well. They are through April 23 in Europe.

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Coli,  that is good news.  Ural Guy,  what kind of insurance did you purchase thru USAA?

It's from Travel Insured International, a Crum/Forester company, policy called 'world trip protector lite'.  I'll confirm how good they are when I have the check!  AMA's policy sounds pretty decent, 115% credit that you can use through 2022, or your money back. 

21 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Thanks for this.  Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought it was a flat-out ban.  I should have known better, and done more research, but yesterday morning I was so shocked that Viking and Princess had cancelled their cruises it must have affected my little mind.  We did cancel, I am very disappointed but relieved as well.  Avalon is taking very good care of us, and we will be able to book another trip as soon as things settle down.  I gotta say, this coronavirus is the most surreal experience of my life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Thanks for this.  Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought it was a flat-out ban.  I should have known better, and done more research, but yesterday morning I was so shocked that Viking and Princess had cancelled their cruises it must have affected my little mind.  We did cancel, I am very disappointed but relieved as well.  Avalon is taking very good care of us, and we will be able to book another trip as soon as things settle down.  I gotta say, this coronavirus is the most surreal experience of my life.

I concur.  This is the most surreal experience of my life so far.  

I'm very disappointed that the cruise is cancelled.  I'm ready to go.  I need a break from feeling sad about my portfolio.  I guess it could be worse, looking at the plummeting portfolio in a quarantined room, a Marie Antoinette inspired room, no less.  

Uniworld is not taking care of their clients as well as Viking and Princess and Avalon for sure.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I'm very disappointed that the cruise is cancelled.  I'm ready to go.  I need a break from feeling sad about my portfolio.  I guess it could be worse, looking at the plummeting portfolio in a quarantined room, a Marie Antoinette inspired room, no less.  

Uniworld is not taking care of their clients as well as Viking and Princess and Avalon for sure.  

Oh Kent, you made me LOL!  My husband's a financial advisor.  I run his office.  Wanna take a shot at envisioning what life is like for us right about now??  His clients never get upset, he's taught them well.  But he goes right off the cliff about our investments.  I'm going to research a cruise along the East Coast or something.  There are bound to be some bargains out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Yes, Marie Antoinette had days like that for sure. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 9:18 PM, RadioPeri said:

US citizens that return from Europe are supposed to self quarantine at home for 14 days and monitor for symptoms.

OP: I can hardly believe it was only 13 days ago that I posted this topic. We were wondering if we should cancel our May river cruise or just wait and see what was happening generally!! Wishing everyone good health and hope, for those of us in self imposed isolation at home, that we can keep busy and stay in good spirits.