Corona virus : cruise or postpone?

Bake apple

Isn’t it ok to do a river cruise through France?  No Covid-19  in Bordeaux region?  I was hoping by May-July 2020.

Italy just extended transportation limits to the entire country. Who knows what will happen in 2-3 months. What airport are you flying into/through? That matters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please be aware of the latest travel news. 1. The Czech Republic does random health checks at its border.

2. Austria has banned travel from Italy into their country unless you have a health certificate.

3. Serbia is restricting entry of foreigners from several countries, including Italy.

Those are the ones I am aware of for European river cruisers to have a potential impact. I expect more to come.

Here are some details: https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-austria-bans-travelers-from-italy-without-health-certificate/a-52698747 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51815907 

Let us think this further. If travel between Germany and Switzerland and/or is not possible without much inconvenience to tourists, will the Basel to Amsterdam itinerary or vice versa still work?

In Germany we have a law which roughly translates as "impossibility to deliver the product/service as promised by the provider due to unusual circumstances". This can lead to a 100 percent refund.

I wonder if such a law exists in your country and if it might apply to your travel plans? See this as tip from me to look into this.

This is the current travel situation seen from the UK perspective: edit: link not working, it is in the business section under travel rights.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Grammar, info edited

Yes everyday more difficult news.

Some is like a science fiction movie not reality.

Surely this level of disruption will come to an end eventually.

Really feel for people caught up in this mess with travel pre booked and the uncertainty.

Some providers are offering better cancellation terms than others.

We would love to escape but travel is now becoming so restricted and changing everyday.

Hibernate until next year???  

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Ride-The-Waves;  why do you say self quarantine?  

To protect yourself from exposure as much as possible.  This is a serious illness since no one has any idea of how to stop it, how it really transmits, and how virulent it really is especially for people who already have respiratory problems.  We have read a lot about mandatory quarantines of people who are not infected but who may have come into contact with people who are infected.  We have healthy friends who are now restricting themselves from going to places with crowds, to restaurants, etc.  Some things you still have to chance, like shopping for groceries, but even groceries can now be easily delivered.  Its time to play safe and not be sorry.

47 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Please be aware of the latest travel news. 1. The Czech Republic does random health checks at its border.

2. Austria has banned travel from Italy into their country unless you have a health certificate.

3. Serbia is restricting entry of foreigners from several countries, including Italy.

Those are the ones I am aware of for European river cruisers to have a potential impact. I expect more to come.

Here are some details: https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-austria-bans-travelers-from-italy-without-health-certificate/a-52698747 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51815907 

Let us think this further. If travel between Germany and Switzerland and/or is not possible without much inconvenience to tourists, will the Basel to Amsterdam itinerary or vice versa still work?

In Germany we have a law which roughly translates as "impossibility to deliver the product/service as promised by the provider due to unusual circumstances". This can lead to a 100 percent refund.

I wonder if such a law exists in your country and if it might apply to your travel plans? See this as tip from me to look into this.

This is the current travel situation seen from the UK perspective: edit: link not working, it is in the business section under travel rights.

notamermaid

Excellent perspective.  River cruise between Basel and Amsterdam implies travel through Switzerland, the stops in France and Germany, and then The Netherlands.  Will these countries/river town be comfortable with letting people off to wander locally without knowing their health backgrounds?  Conversely, do passengers want to get off and wander locally in regions of potential infection.  As Italy, China, and others are doing, limiting travel can reduce the region of potential transmission.  Several countries have banned entry to foreigners - Israel is requiring a 14-day quarantine on arrival for all foreigner entering the country.  There is potential for similar restrictions in many regions.  Its a scary and unknown time to be traveling.  

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

On that timescale, no one can answer your question.

The only point to make is that the situation in Germany is, by then, unlikely to be the principal consideration.  You should be trying to assess how things might be at home.  I haven't been following the news from Canada, but if it is anything like the chaos and denial we are seeing from the US, you should be very worried.

Vantage update:  If you cancel your cruise that departs after 4/1/2020, you get a credit you can apply to other 2020 sailings.

Problem: our sailing is departing 3/28.

You can only use credit for THIS year.

April - June departures
For new and existing reservations on departures between April 1, 2020, and June 30, 2020, enjoy enhanced flexibility for a limited time. Postpone your journey up to 30 days prior to departure and receive a voucher for the full paid value of your trip to apply to another 2020 journey of your choice. Offer valid through April 30, 2020.

July - August departures
For new and existing reservations on departures between July 1, 2020, and August 31, 2020, enjoy enhanced flexibility for a limited time. Postpone your journey up to 60 days prior to departure and receive a voucher for the full paid value of your trip to apply to another 2020 journey of your choice. Offer valid through April 30, 2020.

September - December departures
For new and existing reservations on departures between September 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, enjoy enhanced flexibility for a limited time. Postpone your journey up to 90 days prior to departure and receive a voucher for the full paid value of your trip to apply to another 2020 journey of your choice. Offer valid through April 30, 2020.

23 hours ago, pully8 said:

Yes everyday more difficult news.

Some is like a science fiction movie not reality.

Surely this level of disruption will come to an end eventually.

Really feel for people caught up in this mess with travel pre booked and the uncertainty.

Some providers are offering better cancellation terms than others.

We would love to escape but travel is now becoming so restricted and changing everyday.

Hibernate until next year???  

pully8, that is an interesting suggestion. Would it help if we all just stayed at home rather than crossing borders and flying round half the globe? One thing is certain, it is getting more difficult to keep up travel arrangements, with air traffic between Italy and Australia interrupted. Barred entry to foreigners and quarantine for residents, according to Deutsche Welle. Also ÖBB in Austria has stopped running passenger service to Italy. Freight trains will continue to run.

More border checks are likely to happen. Poland has basically reduced social life to a minimum, etc, etc. Why would one still want to fly Europe from Australia at this point, after all, any country could be in the focus of  your government and air carriers with rising figures.

I can envisage being barred entry to the UK as I am from Germany so I have put my holiday plans on hold.

Talking of hibernate: as we are going towards summer, we in Europe are more likely to estivate, but that is just me being overprecise...

notamermaid

On 3/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, AF-1 said:

notamermaid,  so does this policy cover all tourists passing thru; or just German citizens?  Thanks  How would one know about this unless they follow these threads?

As far as I know it depends on where the provider of the service is registered, i.e. for the law to apply the company needs to be in Germany. A similar thing might exist in other EU countries but I am not familiar with the intricacies of consumer rights and travel law.

notamermaid

6 hours ago, IB2 said:

On that timescale, no one can answer your question.

The only point to make is that the situation in Germany is, by then, unlikely to be the principal consideration.  You should be trying to assess how things might be at home.  I haven't been following the news from Canada, but if it is anything like the chaos and denial we are seeing from the US, you should be very worried.

The situation in Canada is far from the chaos and denial that you said you see in the US. We learned our lesson from the disastrous response to the SARS epidemic in 2003 and have spent the intervening years preparing for another epidemic like this one with new institutions, facilities and procedures. The responses of the federal and provincial governments and health agencies have been timely and effective so that nearly all the cases identified have been travel related. This is not to say that the epidemic has been contained but I believe most Canadians are confident in the measures being taken by the authorities. But as these authorities stress, it is not only for them but for all citizens to take responsible measures to contain the spread of this disease. 

• Like 1

For folks who may not have seen this news, a Viking River boat has been quarantined in Cambodia because a British guest tested positive for the coronavirus.    It seems pretty clear that the risk of being quarantined somewhere, as well as of becoming infected, is not only dependent on where you may be traveling, but also, in the case of ships and boats, who is on board with you. 

TravelPROTECTION PLAN

Here is what AMA is saying about their travel waiver

Travel protection is available for Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical Expenses, and Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation, Trip Delay and Baggage Delay.

Please contact your Travel Advisor or your local Travel Protection provider to enquire about your protection options or click on the applicable drop down below.

NEW TRAVEL WAIVER PLUSTravel With Peace of Mind

In light of the recent global events and uncertainties around travel, we wish to offer our guests additional flexibility and peace of mind so they may continue to safeguard the wonderful plans they have made for their much-anticipated river cruise with AmaWaterways. As a result, we will offer for a limited time, special provisions which allow guests with new or existing reservations to purchase AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plus*. AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plus provides cancellation for any reason, up to 24 hours prior to the start of their AmaWaterways booked services (cruise, pre-cruise land extensions, air etc.) Should you decide to cancel your cruise for any reason, AmaWaterways will provide a future cruise credit* covering cancellation penalties, and the balance will be refunded based on our standard cancellation policy for services purchased through AmaWaterways.

Effective immediately, guests wishing to add Travel Waiver Plus are no longer required to purchase AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan. For all new or existing reservations, the Travel Waiver Plus may be purchased up to 48 hours prior to the start of AmaWaterways purchased services.

Travel Waiver Plus price:

• $80 per person – for those who purchase AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan*
  • $175 per person – if purchased without AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan* or if you have purchased travel protection independently

To purchase AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plus, contact your Travel Advisor or AmaWaterways at 1.800.626.0126.

*AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plus allows you to cancel your vacation for any reason up to 24 hours prior to the start of your AmaWaterways booked services. Waivers under the Travel Waiver Plus program provided by AmaWaterways will cover cancellation penalties (in the form of a Future Cruise Credit) for services purchased through AmaWaterways. Future cruise credit will cover cancellation penalties, and the balance will be refunded based on our standard cancellation policy for services purchased through AmaWaterways. Future cruise credit is valid for any sailings within 24 months from the day your cancellation was received. Travel Waiver Plus is not available for Africa Safaris and Wildlife Cruises. This program does not include any additional benefits. AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan can only be purchased prior to final payment. Travel Waiver Plus may be purchased up to 48 hours prior to the start of AmaWaterways purchased services. Cancellations must be received at least 24 hours prior to the start of your AmaWaterways booked services. This limited time offer with special provisions may be changed or withdrawn at any time. Other restrictions may apply. CST#2065452-20.

Read Less...

We canceled our south of France river cruise on Viking for late April.  Viking was wonderful and it put our minds at rest.  We are in our late 60s and my husband has an auto immune condition.  Our big concern was being quarantined and not allowed in the US.  My husband travels with a medication that must be kept cold and if he ran out he might not be able to get it.  It's injections so it's difficult to bring extra.  Everyone must make the best decision for the themselves.  We don't have anything planned now until April 20201 and it's in the US and another one through Portugal September 2021.  God help us all if by then it's not over.

• Like 1

Ural Guy, 

The  Vantage cancellation policy also included this important information at the end of the notice. Request needs to be made in writing 30 - 90 days before the cruise. I’m scheduled to leave on April16 with Vantage. Not much time to get a letter to them. However, I’m not canceling....if the planes fly and the cruise is sailing I’ll be there. 

Please note that these temporary cancellation terms are valid for new and existing reservations booked by 4/30/2020 on departures between 4/1/2020 and 12/31/2020 provided that cancellation requests are received in writing at least 30 to 90 days prior to departure, as per the travel breakdown explained above. Cancellation penalties for qualifying reservations will be waived, and guests will be returned the full paid value for their purchase in the form of a Future Travel Certificate. 

11 hours ago, ural guy said:

Vantage update:  If you cancel your cruise that departs after 4/1/2020, you get a credit you can apply to other 2020 sailings.

Yeah, I was the first one to call in  yesterday.  We've cancelled our Apr 16th cruise and booked another trip in October.  Hopefully things will "settle down" by then.

I'd suggest you give Vantage a call anyway and ask about cancelling.  When I called the disclaimer at the bottom of the page said any new or existing bookings between 3/7/20 and 4/30/20 were eligible.  But, it was a little unclear as to whether that meant BOOKINGS made between those dates, or ACTUAL RESERVATIONS during that date.  Next thing I knew that sentence was removed.

1 hour ago, Rorygirl4528 said:

Ural Guy, 

The  Vantage cancellation policy also included this important information at the end of the notice. Request needs to be made in writing 30 - 90 days before the cruise. I’m scheduled to leave on April16 with Vantage. Not much time to get a letter to them. However, I’m not canceling....if the planes fly and the cruise is sailing I’ll be there. 

Please note that these temporary cancellation terms are valid for new and existing reservations booked by 4/30/2020 on departures between 4/1/2020 and 12/31/2020 provided that cancellation requests are received in writing at least 30 to 90 days prior to departure, as per the travel breakdown explained above. Cancellation penalties for qualifying reservations will be waived, and guests will be returned the full paid value for their purchase in the form of a Future Travel Certificate. 

We were on that cruise, also.  When I called to ask about the "in writing" thing, it was explained that also includes e-mails.  

But, if you book another trip at the same time as cancelling (just moving the money to another trip), you don't cancel, it's a change and there's no "in writing" requirement.  If you just cancel, and get the voucher to use on another trip (if you haven't figured out which one you want to use it on), you must do the "in writing" thing.

Edited by Shmoo here

We depart for CDG on 3/20 for a Normandy cruise with Avalon.  I don't think anyone with any health issues whatsoever should be travelling anywhere right now.  If you have a robust immune system (I'm a horse person, we eat dirt) and don't "get sick", and remember your hygiene protocols, I can't see a problem.  My husband is concerned about quarantine potential.  I would not mind spending an extra two weeks in France, provided I could get tested fairly quickly.  I am perfectly willing to take the chance.  We will see.  I am MOST impressed with the travel providers who are taking care of their pax, it's very good to see that people will be able to reschedule a trip when things calm down. 

I think this decision has just been taken out of our hands...The US is going to restrict travel to Europe starting Friday.  Of course many more details to come, but I won't be flying on 20 March.

I'm an Army civilian employee, and my leave was up for a new level of approval, due to it being for travel to europe.  This decision should cause them to cancel my leave, which will trigger a clause in my insurance, and I will be able to get $ back, and not just a credit.  Hopefully.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51846923