Corona virus : cruise or postpone?

Bake apple

Uniworld has "updated" its policy concerning coronavirus.  This one apparently changes the "cancel at exactly 30 days out" requirement and replaces it with "cancel for a future cruise credit."  Not helpful and appears inconsistent with the "passenger friendly" comments from Uniworld regarding their concern over COVID-19.  The FCC doesn't do much for us and likely others of us in the 75-79 age range.  Having to reschedule within two years becomes problematic for health and mobility reasons at this age.  We have been traveling with Uniworld for over a decade, rivers in Europe and China, and are disappointed in Uniworld with this response to a critical global health concern.  While cancellations are costly to the company, they do have insurance to cover these contingencies.  A more understanding response would have been much better.  Now it becomes a "wait and see" process for our two-week June cruise through France which impacts its potential enjoyment while worrying over the complications of travel to, in and through France.  The virus is obviously not Uniworld's fault, however a more nuanced response to customers would have been helpful.  It now rests with the medical folks to determine whether travel is safe, and if not, claims with the travel insurance companies when medical doctors determine travel to infected regions could have serious health ramifications.  I'm sure Uniworld has made the calculation that it would benefit more from private insurance payouts than from their own insurance.  As always, its the $$$ bottom line.

We’re taking our first river cruise Rhine Amsterdam to Basel in May.   25th Anniversary honeymoon we never had.  We’re not cancelling unless forced to do so.  And, we’re traveling overland after through Swiss, then Italian Alps to fly home from Milan.  Yes, I know, Milan is level 3 but we won’t be there until mid to late May.  Push comes to shove, we change Return flight to Zurich.  Worst case, we’re quarantined.  My guess is this is nothing more than a new form of the flu by May, but admittedly...we’re early 50s and not immuno-compromised.  

• Like 2

Like everyone else on these river boards were pondering what to do ourselves.  Our travel is not until July hence we do not make any final payments until mid April. We do have more time than some of you to wait and watch. 

We have a concert in Maastricht with expensive VIP tickets followed by a cruise that begins in Dublin on Celebrity in mid July. It ends in Amsterdam and we are scheduled to transfer to a Tauck Rhine River Cruise that ends in Basal. This will be our first River Cruise.  From there an overland trip for nine days through Switzerland. 

We booked everything around the Maastricht concert just about a year ago. At the time I was recovering from a major foot surgery hence we could not insure at the time with the caveat being you need to be able to travel the day you take out the insurance.  Just about the time we were ready to insure I had another foot surgery so the time clock started over. Now starting in Jan this darn virus hits.  

We are thinking it might be better to just take the hit on the Tauck deposit and cut our losses rather than risk final payment and then dealing.  $$ wise the deposit is about what the insurance would have been from Tauck.  We would never cruise without our Geo Blu Medical coverage however. We are concerned with travel through Germany. We have cruised for 20 yrs now and fortunately never have gotten sick. We are meticulously careful. We are very healthy but can have asthma issues at times. Mainly animal related!  We are in our mid 60’s. Newly retired. 

We are up in the air on the ocean portion.  Hoping Delta allows changes through the end of July.  Like everyone else we do not know what to do and want to minimize losses. We were really looking forward to this trip and a fun summer of travel.  Now that it’s turning into a more stressful situation it’s not as exciting as it was.  Just the thought of having to unravel all the reservations and financial hits it’s a bit on the overwhelming side. 

Edited by mauimary

We don't leave until next Sept with Uniworld going on their Italy cruise. We will probably keep the reservation but what about bankruptsy due to all the cancellations with this virus. I feel terrible for the travel business. Certainly taking quite the hit.

Spouse has determined she wants to postpone the river cruise through France until 2021.  So the next challenge is engaging the TA and Uniworld on Monday followed by doing battle with the airlines.  She does not want to take any chances with COVID-19 expanding across France as it appears to be doing.  Obviously one cannot know what will be happening May 2021...

6 minutes ago, Bake apple said:

Quick Update: Upon request for cancellation, at least in our particular case, Viking offered 50% Voucher for future cruise and 50% cash returned.

Oh that is nicely accommodating from Viking. Like that!

Have a glass of bubbly and look forward to happy travels in the future. 😃 

notamermaid

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Spouse has determined she wants to postpone the river cruise through France until 2021.  So the next challenge is engaging the TA and Uniworld on Monday followed by doing battle with the airlines.  She does not want to take any chances with COVID-19 expanding across France as it appears to be doing.  Obviously one cannot know what will be happening May 2021...

We will go for the France river cruise in a few weeks.  My concern is France will follow Italy and quarantine the entire region.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

• Like 1

I'm about 2 1/2 months to departure, and not sure what I will do. I fly to Frankfurt, travel by train to Koblenz, and then Bike and Barge on the Moselle for 7 nights (not a lot of people, but definitely in close quarters). Then spending time in the Lorraine (Metz and Nancy) and in Strasbourg, before heading back to Frankfurt airport. Notamermaid tells us that there is no virus on the Moselle, but there is a case in Koblenz, and there are quite a few cases in Strasbourg. I'm not old (although getting there) but I do have a number of underlying health conditions that complicate matters somewhat. The barge, like most of those that run bike and barge, are owner operated, so there will be nothing back from them. I haven't talked to my doctor yet (I see him next month) but I'm not sure how no change in medical condition can be grounds for cancellation as an insured risk, since none of the areas are under an "avoid non-essential travel" warning. So I will wait and see, and, if I have to, cancel for 50% under the CFAR portion.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:56 PM, Shmoo here said:

We're also doing a tulip cruise with Vantage, but in April.  Also with 3rd party insurance, no cancel for any reason.  Unless Vantage cancels the cruise, we're going.

We're older than you guys, but we're in good health and no health issues.  

Shmoo and others:  Vantage has posted this in the 'My Portfolio' section.

BLUF:  No change in cancellation policy, and you can't board if you were in China...

While you prepare for your upcoming Vantage journey, we're reaching out regarding the ongoing Coronavirus 2019-nCoV outbreak that originated in mainland China. We have proactively implemented several preventative measures in an effort to ensure the safety and health of all Vantage travelers, including coordinating closely with our vendors and regional offices to implement enhanced screening, prevention, and control measures for our global journeys.

-Any guest who has traveled to China, including Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days of their journey will unfortunately not be allowed to travel

-During your journey, any travelers or crew members who appear symptomatic with a communicable disease are subject to medical evaluations including, but not limited to, temperature checks as deemed necessary

-Any traveler or crew member showing symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to screening for Coronavirus and may be subject to potential quarantine and trip cancellation

Your health, safety, and security are Vantage's first priority. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause to any of our guests. We continue to monitor the Coronavirus outbreak and will swiftly update all travelers with necessary information in accordance with guidelines and recommendations from the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department, and other international entities committed to global health and safety.

This alert is hard to find, as you have to expand a window to read the message.  The window that needs expanding has the same old message that the Red Light District tour has been canceled (good), which has been posted for months.  So people would have no real reason to click on the expanded tab as it just appears to be 'old news'.

17 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Notamermaid tells us that there is no virus on the Moselle, but there is a case in Koblenz, and there are quite a few cases in Strasbourg.

There are now three cases in Koblenz and one nearby. Sadly things are unfolding as I write, with now 19 cases in Rhineland-Palatinate. I am still upbeat about the general situation in Germany when comparing it to other countries, including Switzerland where they are getting nervous and have introduced stricter measures than in Germany. I do not have a good feeling for my area and the implications of self-isolation and quarantine, but as regards tourism it is still safer than other places. Who knows what it will be like in a week? Today, Jens Spahn has called for all events in Germany where there are more than 1,000 visitors expected to be cancelled. That is quite a move. It is not law, but even so, suggests the seriousness of the situation. For a river cruiser, what will all this mean? Museum closures? Strasbourg Minster closed? Border checks at Kehl (to get to Strasbourg)? Train travel suspended to Frankfurt airport? No idea where we are headed.

Koblenz to Metz is still a good way to go right now, rather than Basel to Amsterdam, gnome12. But you are right about reconsidering your travel plans, certainly. Change can happen so quickly right now, hope all develops in your favour. Look after yourself.

notamermaid

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ural guy said:

Shmoo and others:  Vantage has posted this in the 'My Portfolio' section.

BLUF:  No change in cancellation policy, and you can't board if you were in China...

While you prepare for your upcoming Vantage journey, we're reaching out regarding the ongoing Coronavirus 2019-nCoV outbreak that originated in mainland China. We have proactively implemented several preventative measures in an effort to ensure the safety and health of all Vantage travelers, including coordinating closely with our vendors and regional offices to implement enhanced screening, prevention, and control measures for our global journeys.

-Any guest who has traveled to China, including Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days of their journey will unfortunately not be allowed to travel

-During your journey, any travelers or crew members who appear symptomatic with a communicable disease are subject to medical evaluations including, but not limited to, temperature checks as deemed necessary

-Any traveler or crew member showing symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to screening for Coronavirus and may be subject to potential quarantine and trip cancellation

Your health, safety, and security are Vantage's first priority. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause to any of our guests. We continue to monitor the Coronavirus outbreak and will swiftly update all travelers with necessary information in accordance with guidelines and recommendations from the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department, and other international entities committed to global health and safety.

This alert is hard to find, as you have to expand a window to read the message.  The window that needs expanding has the same old message that the Red Light District tour has been canceled (good), which has been posted for months.  So people would have no real reason to click on the expanded tab as it just appears to be 'old news'.

Yeah, I saw that.  However, in the meantime, the State Department and the CDC has advised "older" people, regardless of overall health should not travel via planes or cruise ships.

I'm hoping that this will catch Vantage's eye and they'll have a better update tomorrow.  Like a "cancel now with 100% refund as cruise credit for future cruise" like other (bigger, ocean) lines are doing.

6 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

We will go for the France river cruise in a few weeks.  My concern is France will follow Italy and quarantine the entire region.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

Exactly the problem.  And one that cannot be predicted or planned for.  Just read that "locking down" part of the US is an option for the CDC.  I can see France doing similar especially in the region north of Paris.

Be safe on your cruise.  Follow all the recommended practices everywhere, not just on the ship.  And insure that the embassy/consulate is aware of your location and travel plans.

So, my parents (75/79) have decided that they do not want to go on our cruise departing on 3/31. I’m about to start the process of canceling (uniworld Cruise). Their current policy states a FCC if cancelled 14 days prior to cruise. So, if anyone has a uniworld cruise out of Italy this month-has uniworld actually cancelled any cruises or just issued a FCC? Just wondering if I wait a bit (before my 14 day )  and see if they cancel the cruise for a refund instead of a credit. I’m not doing a Italy itinerary but will end in Basel. 

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Yeah, I saw that.  However, in the meantime, the State Department and the CDC has advised "older" people, regardless of overall health should not travel via planes or cruise ships.

I'm hoping that this will catch Vantage's eye and they'll have a better update tomorrow.  Like a "cancel now with 100% refund as cruise credit for future cruise" like other (bigger, ocean) lines are doing.

I hear you.  Hope this works out for you. 

This reminds me of the low water issues Fall 2018.  We were sailing the Moselle/Rhine starting 1 Nov, the low water had been going on for awhile.  The cruise before ours was canceled.

And you couldn't get info out of Vantage, except that everything would be as scheduled.  Wound up spending 5 nights in a hotel in Basel, being bused increasing distances, finally boarding in Koblenz.

They don't communicate proactively, or realistically.  Then when it does go south, they aren't super flexible, or adaptive.  One day before we flew out, we were told to report to a downtown Basel hotel.  Vantage told us they were putting us up in the most expensive city in the route, Basel.  OK, I know it is hard to find 85 hotel rooms at the last minute...but why not 2 or 3 nights in Basel, then 2 nights in Strasburg, or anywhere 1/2 way to Koblenz, to help reduce the time in a bus.  The ship was split between 2 hotels anyway.  

For the adventurous, Vantage is running a sale on the 8 May Portugal 13 night tour (3 night Lisbon, 7 night Douro, 3 night Madrid), and the 3rd and 17th May sailing of the Rhine/Moselle 14 night cruise.  Including airfare from most US cities, for around $3k.  I could see this price dropping even more.  Rhine would be super tempting...we would get to see the ports that we missed, and the youngest would have just finished her undergrad Industrial System Engineering degree.  Could get 2 cabins for what one would cost.

Hope everyone is healthy and Spring is coming!

15 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

So, my parents (75/79) have decided that they do not want to go on our cruise departing on 3/31. I’m about to start the process of canceling (uniworld Cruise). Their current policy states a FCC if cancelled 14 days prior to cruise. So, if anyone has a uniworld cruise out of Italy this month-has uniworld actually cancelled any cruises or just issued a FCC? Just wondering if I wait a bit (before my 14 day )  and see if they cancel the cruise for a refund instead of a credit. I’m not doing a Italy itinerary but will end in Basel. 

You have a few more days to cancel and get FCC.  I really doubt Uniworld can keep the Italy itinerary as is.  The entire region is quarantined.  They cannot even go in or out.  Surprised they haven't cancelled and refunded everyone yet.

This will be our first river cruise. We are booked on a Viking River cruise in June, Amsterdam to Basel. If a lot of people take up Viking's offer to cancel their cruise (for future cruise credit), would they operate the ship at half capacity? 

We're leaving for our Tulip time cruise thru the Nederlands in 2 weeks.  We're fit & healthy low 50's.  After all the stupid things we've done & picked up throughout High School, College, & Navy foreign ports throughout the years, figured this flu, if we ever catch it, will be harmless.  4 other couples are still coming with us.  One couple in their late 70's has cancelled.  

We're more worried about someone on the boat or in our travels has flu-like symptoms, then everyone onboard will be Quarantined for 2 weeks...

6 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

After all the stupid things we've done & picked up throughout High School, College, & Navy foreign ports throughout the years, figured this flu, if we ever catch it, will be harmless. 

I hope of course that you don’t catch anything, but COVID-19 is not a flu. 

My wife has asthma;  she shows signs of upper respiratory all year long.  She has medical records and meds she carries for asthma; plus her portable breathing machine.  Hope they won't keep her locked up on ship because she has asthma. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

My wife has asthma;  she shows signs of upper respiratory all year long.  She has medical records and meds she carries for asthma; plus her portable breathing machine.  Hope they won't keep her locked up on ship because she has asthma. 

maybe contact the cruise line as well.  You might be locked down with her as well.  

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

You may want to consider postponing for cancelling.  Asthma is one of those underlying conditions that make COVID-19 a potent virus.  Personally, I would postpone and self-quarantine at home until this is over.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:04 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Isn’t it ok to do a river cruise through France?  No Covid-19  in Bordeaux region?  I was hoping by May-July 2020.