Corona virus : cruise or postpone?

Bake apple

2 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Bottom line is if your personality is such that you or your partner tends to be a worrier, you probably would have a tough time enjoying your holiday. 

And only the individual cruiser can answer that...I agree with your statement 100%.

17 hours ago, Bake apple said:

Well,  I am the OP and after much discussion have decided to postpone as much as we really truly wanted to take this cruise. We have cruised three times with Viking and had a great adventure each time;  so will take advantage of the temporary policy about cancelling without penalty and book for later once this COVID-19 has passed.

BTW:  Today we received a communique from our health provider and based on the good common sense suggestions and advice to us as seniors,  made our decision. We are healthy, active and seasoned travelers;  however,  our decision was in part  based on how we could possibly avoid large and crowded gatherings. Not sure we could do that and still get full value from our vacation in Europe. Where's the fun in that anyway.   We shall just wait and cruise another day; so grateful at this point our family and friends are all well.

Thank you so much for all the comments, you can always count on CC!!  Safe and healthy travels everyone and we will follow your adventures. Enjoy!

Our river cruise is scheduled for late April and we too are struggling with a decision whether to go or cancel.  My husband has an auto immune disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, so if he contacted the virus it could be deadly.  I also, contacted my doctor and asked for advice given my health condition which is pretty good and recommended I not go.  So we are preparing to go and to cancel if need to with a dead line to make the decision by middle of April.  I have a list of things I must cancel and now have my doctor's recommendation.

2 minutes ago, skiladyldp said:

Our river cruise is scheduled for late April and we too are struggling with a decision whether to go or cancel.  My husband has an auto immune disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, so if he contacted the virus it could be deadly.  I also, contacted my doctor and asked for advice given my health condition which is pretty good and recommended I not go.  So we are preparing to go and to cancel if need to with a dead line to make the decision by middle of April.  I have a list of things I must cancel and now have my doctor's recommendation.

Sorry to hear that, heard from friend who has rheumatoid arthritis that his drugs would make catching the virus dangerous for him. Hope you can have a great river cruise another time.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Well, our visa arrived today and if we do not use them and decide to cancel, we will have to eat almost $600.  We are still sticking by "wait and see" as our travel agent said that the situation is "very fluid."  In addition, I'm still getting emails from Viking promoting the Kremlin Armory excursion, so who knows what to think.  However, I still believe that our country is bombarded us with so much information and scary statistics  (not that we shouldn't be concerned).  

If the iconic landmarks are closed in Russia, there is no reason for Viking to go there, but when I read this article, which I'm attaching in Pravada (Moscow's leading newspaper) it made me think that maybe, just maybe there is hope for all of us or at least some of us  to make the trip.  

Hoping for the best!

https://www.pravdareport.com/health/144382-russia_coronavirus/

So many good points pro and con. Biggest issue is getting stuck out of US. I think many of us are struggling with same issues. Too bad all cruise lines are not like Viking. That said, health is more important than lost $$$

8 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Update!  Spouse is leaning (has decided in her mind) that she wants to cancel our 2-week river cruise in France with Uniworld in June.  Argh!  We are 75 and 78 and in good health, have travel extensively (set foot on all 7 continents), lived in Eastern Europe in the 1980s, etc.  Not an easy decision since we really love visiting Europe.  Also not an easy decision since we well understand that this virus can be contracted through local travels - two cases in the adjacent county here in Florida.  So intend to begin the process today...:classic_sad:

Update II

Spent well over and hour on phone with TA who was on the phone with Uniworld part of that time.

Uniworld's guidance:  Read the fine print!

"...bookings cancelled at 30 days prior to departure will only be subject to a $200...cancellation fee!"

Uniworld's direction: call us exactly 30 days prior to cruise departure to cancel - other wise standard cancellation fees apply.  Right now that is 20 percent on a $20K cruise vacation.

Very unhelpful and very misleading by Uniworld.  

Add in the cost of and complications to cancel air reservations at exactly the 30-day point and this can become a nightmare.  Yes - we do have travel insurance, but as many have stated that doesn't help in trying to avoid contact with COVID-19.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Uniworld is not taking it seriously at all.  They still plan to do the Italy Venice + Milan combo in 2 weeks.  They still plan to do all of the Rhines and Rhone cruises when Germany and France cannot contain the spread.  

This is nuts.  

That's interesting Ride-The-Waves-I called my TA who called Uniworld EXACTLY 30 days prior to my 3/31 departure and was told standard cancellation fees apply 50% but the next day it would be 100%. I than turned around and called uniworld and was told the same.  Now you were told at 30 days it would have been a $200 cancellation fee??? I have travel insurance but bought my own policy that's not cancel for any reason.  My parents are traveling with me and they have the uniworld insurance.  I'm not worried for myself but some concerned for them.

20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

That is pretty wild...…….Milan is one of the most affected cities:classic_blink:

A lot of countries will quarantine you if they find out you are in Milan or Venice.  Anyway, they could easily let people book future cruises and not have to refund any money, but they are going ahead. 

19 minutes ago, Enryon said:

Wife and I Are doing the Uniworld Castles on the Rhine on 3/22. We are still planning on going. 

We are young, so it's just another flu.  However, my folks are old, so they got really nervous.  

55 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

That's interesting Ride-The-Waves-I called my TA who called Uniworld EXACTLY 30 days prior to my 3/31 departure and was told standard cancellation fees apply 50% but the next day it would be 100%. I than turned around and called uniworld and was told the same.  Now you were told at 30 days it would have been a $200 cancellation fee??? I have travel insurance but bought my own policy that's not cancel for any reason.  My parents are traveling with me and they have the uniworld insurance.  I'm not worried for myself but some concerned for them.

Uniworld posted a new policy titled "Health and Safety" on their website on 4 March:

Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 9:00am PST

We are closely monitoring the coronavirus (Covid-19) developments and will continue to prioritize the safety of our guests and crew. We are aware of the latest travel advisories issued by the U.S. State Department, and are monitoring all updates issued by the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control.

For precautionary measures, guests will be asked to take a health declaration and questionnaire before boarding all Uniworld ships. Guests who have traveled within 14 days of beginning their trip from or through mainland China, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy subject to quarantine measures by the Italian Government will not be permitted to embark on any Uniworld ship. If an upcoming guest had close contact with or helped care for anyone suspected or diagnosed with Covid-19 within 14 days before embarkation, they will not be permitted onboard.

To help alleviate the uncertainty our guests may be feeling about their upcoming cruise, we have changed the terms of our cancellation policy for 2020 cruises departing May 1 or later to allow our guests more time to make a decision about their travel plans. Until further notice, we will allow guests booked on these upcoming 2020 cruises the option to cancel their cruise/cruise-tour at 30 days prior to departure, at the lesser 120+ day cancellation rate.

•  For complete details of this revised cancellation policy, please click here:
    • Valid only for 2020 bookings departing May 1 or later, new and existing.
    • Cruise/cruise-tour bookings cancelled at 30 days prior to departure will only be subject to a $200 per person cancellation fee. Cancellations occurring more or less than 30 days prior to departure will be subject to Uniworld’s standard cancellation policy.
    • Applies to the cruise/cruise-tour portion of trip only, airfare will be subject to cancellation fees if ticketed.
    • For airfare booked through Uniworld, airfare fees will be waived if not yet ticketed or a $450 fee will apply if ticket was already issued at time of cancellation.
    • Travel Protection Program fees are non-refundable.

At Uniworld, we have always been committed to embracing diversity and inclusivity across all our brands. We do not support any inappropriate mistreatment of any individual, regardless of their nationality, race nor gender. Our onboard and onshore personnel remain committed to delivering the best vacation to each and every customer, regardless of where they come from.

My travel agent received a firm "it has to be at 30-days" admonition from Uniworld regarding cancellation.  The new 'policy" appears to be more hot air than anything supporting travel changes/cancellations do to coronavirus.  

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Their policy is for cruises booked after 5/1.  I guess they don't think the march/april cruises really don't matter.  We are doing The Remarkable Rhine and Historic Holland.  I'm worried for the people and the italy cruises.  But who knows what's going to happen in the next 3 weeks.  

I know I would need to contact my insurance provider but if anyone has any insite-It would be appreciated.  If the US puts travel restrictions to any countries in my travel plan-would that be a "covered event"?

13 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

I know I would need to contact my insurance provider but if anyone has any insite-It would be appreciated.  If the US puts travel restrictions to any countries in my travel plan-would that be a "covered event"?

You need to look at the terms of your specific policy. No one can answer that for you in a vacuum. 

The Canadian Government issued an advisory tonight telling people to avoid cruises.  I realise they are referring to the larger ocean ships, but it is a start.  Their reason was due to the large number of passengers and the air circulation system.  

my husband has a new name for the air circulation systems on the ocean liners--incubation systems.  The affected lines will be spending much money to sanitize those boats.  Hot water, soap and friction, a mantra from one of my nursing instructors. Stay well. Pat

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 1:56 PM, ural guy said:

We're on a tulip cruise with Vantage, we board 28 March.  We're flying out the 20th to visit Ireland for a week before flying to Amsterdam from Cork.  Vantage has not altered their cancellation policy.  We have separate insurance, not cancel for any reason.

We're going, unless the State Department/CDC drastically changes guidance.  I understand that Keukenhof and some other stops maybe altered.  We both still work, and this time slot worked for us; combined with a Veterans Day 'sale' and previous low water credits we got a reasonable deal.  Plus, the virus is already in my state, so not sure where I'd be safer. Getting caught up in a quarantine on the way home is my biggest worry.  If that happens, I will certainly post a trip report as I'll have the time.

Everyone has a different risk threshold, and individual health issues.  I'm 54, wife is 59, so that played into our decision.  If I had a compromised immune system, or was already in a frail state, my decision would be different.

We're also doing a tulip cruise with Vantage, but in April.  Also with 3rd party insurance, no cancel for any reason.  Unless Vantage cancels the cruise, we're going.

We're older than you guys, but we're in good health and no health issues.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacmom said:

my husband has a new name for the air circulation systems on the ocean liners--incubation systems.  The affected lines will be spending much money to sanitize those boats.  Hot water, soap and friction, a mantra from one of my nursing instructors. Stay well. Pat

Is your husband a maritime engineer?  This contradicts the detailed description that @chengkp75 (a genuine Chief Engineer on ocean ships) has written explaining that ocean ships have separate HVAC systems for cabins vs. public areas and that cabins are maintained at a positive pressure so that air from the corridor does not flow into the cabin.  Return air from both systems is exhausted out of the ship – there is no recirculation.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, skiladyldp said:

I also, contacted my doctor and asked for advice given my health condition which is pretty good and recommended I not go,

Hard to believe any doctor would respond differently to any patient planning international travel today regardless of age and current health.  Why encourage him / her to take chances?

18 hours ago, Enryon said:

Wife and I Are doing the Uniworld Castles on the Rhine on 3/22. We are still planning on going. 

Most likely you will be fine,  if you are not elderly (60+) and have no underlying health conditions like HBP, diabetes, heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease.   Also, if you do not have a compromised immune system.  If so, there is a high mortality risk of dying from the Covid-19  virus.  Refer to CDC website.

You might get quarantined between 14-28 days (or longer) if you get infected with the virus, or if any of your fellow passengers or crew get infected and test positive with Covid-19.

Also, consider some of the tourist hot spots like museums, tourist sites, restaurants, might be shut down due to “avoid groups” recommendation by CDC.  

Enjoy your trip.  It sounds like a fabulous itinerary.

Edited by Justalone

19 hours ago, Enryon said:

I love this itinerary and to get a different perspective of the area, i.e. from the river for a change, not land, I could well imagine choosing this one.

Without having to make travel arrangements it is perhaps a bit too easy for me to encourage people to come and see "my" river, but if one is confident about one's health, has medical insurance and the prospect of altered travel arrangements at short notice does not bother one, I would go. At the moment I can see a higher risk for most folks coming to Germany from the UK and US in "restrictions of mere inconvenience" like longer queues at airports, questions at train stations, closed museums, etc. Not quarantine or illness. How likely are you going to be standing close to a Cologne citizen and happen to chance upon one of those infected by the around 350 "locals" (having deducted the ones that have recovered)? Those are the figures for the state not the city of Cologne, anyway. Always remember that those identified are not around, they are hospitalized or quarantined. It is the between 1.5 and 2.4 average infected by the infected ones that you need to be worried about. All in all the risk is still relatively small. Looking at the charts and maps, most clusters of cases are not along the Rhine river, they are in other areas of the regions and states (Länder). If the chain of infections is not broken, the risk will increase, especially near Alsace. I know this is all statistics but perhaps it helps.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I love this itinerary and to get a different perspective of the area, i.e. from the river for a change, not land, I could well imagine choosing this one.

Without having to make travel arrangements it is perhaps a bit too easy for me to encourage people to come and see "my" river, but if one is confident about one's health, has medical insurance and the prospect of altered travel arrangements at short notice does not bother one, I would go. At the moment I can see a higher risk for most folks coming to Germany from the UK and US in "restrictions of mere inconvenience" like longer queues at airports, questions at train stations, closed museums, etc. Not quarantine or illness. How likely are you going to be standing close to a Cologne citizen and happen to chance upon one of those infected by the around 350 "locals" (having deducted the ones that have recovered)? Those are the figures for the state not the city of Cologne, anyway. Always remember that those identified are not around, they are hospitalized or quarantined. It is the between 1.5 and 2.4 average infected by the infected ones that you need to be worried about. All in all the risk is still relatively small. Looking at the charts and maps, most clusters of cases are not along the Rhine river, they are in other areas of the regions and states (Länder). If the chain of infections is not broken, the risk will increase, especially near Alsace. I know this is all statistics but perhaps it helps.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

We are really looking forward to this trip. We know there are risks to international travel even without the virus. We are in our late 30's and don't mind inconvenience or waiting in lines. We have already taken it in stride when we realized that we forgot to add a day in Basel at the end of the trip to go ride some roller coasters at EuropaPark. Ultimately, we are taking this trip to see some castles, scenery, and hopefully a few cathedrals (I have a thing for stained glass).