Can I get deposit refunded completely

lyban

Hi all,

i have a cruise booked on grand princess for mid July. I have paid my deposit but not my final fees yet.

if I cancel within the next 3 or 4 weeks would I be able to get my full deposit back.

if anyone knows I would appreciate an answer because I am starting to worry. 
thanks

I cancelled an end of June trip last week and got my full deposit credited back to my credit card.  As someone else said it depends on if your deposit was refundable or not.  I was surprised to see that credit on my credit card the same day as my Princess planner said it could take a few weeks to show up.

Did you get a deposit confirmation when you paid your deposit? At the bottom of that it has a cancellation schedule.  It should tell you what dates you need to meet to get anything back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lyban said:

Vjblk, thanks for the reply.

i cannot see on my contract where it says if my deposit is refundable or not.

I see it on my booking confirmation under the heading of Payment Details.

image.png.5a3a7eca4e06e3da1ee41dd1d3591726.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, lyban said:

Thrak,

is it saying that I can cancel up to April 20th and get full refund.

and then after April 20th pay the penalty they mention on my above blacked out messy photo.😀

I was simply responding to the question regarding where to find if your deposit was refundable or not. I posted where I found it. Check the post to which I responded and you will see I wasn't talking about cancellation. Sorry for any confusion. If that information isn't shown on other folks Booking Confirmation then I guess I own additional apologies. It shows on all of my upcoming (5) cruises.

Edited by Thrak

It says you will get 260 pp if cancelled by April 20. If you make your final payment due April 19th and you cancel by May 20th you will get 50% of your cruise fare back. And so forth based on the other dates. 

2 hours ago, lyban said:

Thrak,

here is mine.

F0D2799F-2C45-4B06-8BDA-D9C2866426D1.jpeg

2 hours ago, lyban said:

Thrak,

is it saying that I can cancel up to April 20th and get full refund.

and then after April 20th pay the penalty they mention on my above blacked out messy photo.😀

1 hour ago, vjblk said:

It says you will get 260 pp if cancelled by April 20. If you make your final payment due April 19th and you cancel by May 20th you will get 50% of your cruise fare back. And so forth based on the other dates. 

@lyban, it appears very much the case that you booked this voyage with a Refundable deposit and @vjblk is misreading the document somewhat.  I say it is a RD because there is no penalty listed prior to April 20.

(BTW, in case anyone is thinking numbers are "odd", this is a CAD booking so the deposit pp is $260 CAD instead of the equivalent $200 USD).

So, your Final Payment (FP) date is April 19.  You can cancel anytime up to that date and get back your deposit.  If you do not make the FP on April 19, your booking will soon be cancelled by Princess.  Once you have made FP, then the day right after that deadline, your penalty is the original deposit of $520 ($400 USD equivalent).

The Cancellation schedule is indicating what the cancellation PENALTY is at each date and not what you get back as a refund.  Beginning May 23, the penalty increases to 50% of what you paid in total cruise fare (so it is also the same thing as what you get back - 50-50).  On or after June 20, you forfeit 75% of total cruise fare.  And so on until you lose it all. 

Princess has recently announced a more lenient FP deadline and cancellation policy.  So far, JULY cruises are not affected, but if the COVID-19 contagion continues, stay tuned as Princess may well maintain the policy and extend the dates accordingly.  For now, what you have in your contract applies.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Steelers 36, 

thank you for your answer. You are right it is a Canadian booking. 
your answer makes a lot of sense and I believe you are right. I am relieved to see that I would get my deposit back and I have about another 6 weeks before I have to make my decision.

thank you also to everyone else for trying to help me with this problem.

lets all pray that this virus disappears and we can all enjoy our cruises.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lyban said:

I booked through Princess, and it is very hard to get through now.

11 hours ago, lyban said:

I booked through Princess, and it is very hard to get through now.

It took me almost three hours yesterday but I was able to take care of our issue

added platinum coverage to our ten day July star cruise 

good luck

lyban

It appears that you are in a good position in that you have until mid April to make a decision re: cancellation of the cruise.  Apparently, the deposit of $520 would be refunded upon cancellation until that  final payment date.

A suggestion- when booking a cruise with Princess by phone, make certain that the deposit is refundable before proceeding with the booking.

I am not certain when you booked the cruise or under what promotion, but the promo in place now offers refundable deposits.  It is beneficial to check  the info concerning a cruise line before booking either online or through a Princess rep on the phone.

As for my DH and I,we are not interested in booking a cruise with a non-refundable deposit as we frequently change travel plans. We appreciate the flexibility of a refundable deposit. 

I think I have read that in the case of a non-refundable deposit, a customer can request a refundable deposit ,realizing that  the cruise fare may be a bit higher than the fare  with a non-refundable deposit.

I do hope that it works out for you with either a full deposit refund or an enjoyable cruise.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Princess is slammed with people calling.  My travel agent was said he was on hold for over two hours;  he finally gave up

Yah I can't get through to cancel, it just says there are 100 callers ahead of me and then hangs up. Good thing they pushed our final payment up a month.

By the way, you can cancel any prepaid shore excursions, onboard purchases, etc. yourself in your Personalizer. Just click the red cancel button. Your travel summary will update and the refund posts to your credit card within a few days. One less refund to track. 

On 3/7/2020 at 6:58 AM, rocklinmom said:

Yah I can't get through to cancel, it just says there are 100 callers ahead of me and then hangs up. Good thing they pushed our final payment up a month.

I found that if you call first thing when they open you can usually get through fairly quickly.  I start calling a few minutes before they open, hangup with the closed message, then redial until they open.  Usually get to speak with someone in a couple of minutes.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, rocklinmom said:

By the way, you can cancel any prepaid shore excursions, onboard purchases, etc. yourself in your Personalizer. Just click the red cancel button. Your travel summary will update and the refund posts to your credit card within a few days. One less refund to track. 

Do you know if the following are refundable? I can't find the info on their site - specialty restaurant reservations, Lotus spa and internet package? 

1 hour ago, lscheer said:

Do you know if the following are refundable? I can't find the info on their site - specialty restaurant reservations, Lotus spa and internet package? 

As noted, by rocklinmom in post #22, you can just cancel them in the Personalizer, they credit right back to the credit card you used, or put back any OBC you used.  Anything you've reserved or paid for will be at the bottom (scroll down all the way) of any tabbed section (Onboard Services, Excursions, Specialty Dining).

Edited by Ferd Berfle
  • Like 1