Dr. Fauci: "Above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

SumoCitrus

Just as a FYI,

Ireland (Republic of,) has closed all schools, colleges & universities from 6pm (Irish time) this evening until March 29th (at earliest).  Working from home is 'encouraged', where possible.  Recommendation that indoor gatherings of more than 100 people should be cancelled and outdoor gatherings of 500+ should be cancelled.  'Sick Pay/Benefit' has had rules relaxed to allow self isolation, where necessary.   

2 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

I live in a university town and both that university and one other state university is looking at the possibility of going to virtual classes for two weeks following spring break for this very reason.  They are concerned about what the students might bring back and as a resident I probably should be concerned too. 

I agree with the virtual classes for two weeks.  What concerned me was taking two weeks after spring break with no classwork.......WooHoo! A three week vacation!

Kind of defeats the purpose.  Glad they are putting the virtual classes in place.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This talk about "doctors notes" makes little sense and could even be dangerous.  At this time, a good place to avoid is a physician's office as your chance of being exposed to illness, including COVID-19, are increased by simply being in a waiting room.  And in the USA, a physician would have to be nutz to clear any Senior to travel since that would open them up to potential liability given a lot of expert advice that seniors immediately implement social distancing.  Both Princess and Viking have made this issue moot by simply ceasing all operations until May.  This sets up another situation where Lawyers can later argue that lines that continue to operate are being reckless in the face of a an expanding pandemic.  You can bet that this is being discussed in the executive suites off all the lines that continue to operate.

Hank

Good point.  That may be why HAL has not instituted the doctor's certificate as did NCL.  I hadn't thought about the doctor's liability.

The last post on the HAL blog was March 7; I've been checking regularly.  Finally, today, this:

"At Holland America Line the health and safety of our guests is of the highest priority.

In order to give travelers greater peace of mind surrounding their upcoming vacation plans, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020 (previously only through May 31 departures).

With the extended date to July 31, guests who booked departures April 1, 2020, through July 31, 2020, under the Book with Confidence program will now be covered under the Short Term Cancel Policy instead.

Cancellations will need to be finalized 48 hours in advance (previously the policy stated 72 hours in advance).

Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of the paid fare, less the cost of Cancellation Protection Plan (Standard or Platinum), which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by Dec. 31, 2020.

For those who choose to keep their cruise plans on departures through May 31, 2020, an Onboard Spending Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages 7 days or longer and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages 6 days or less will be automatically applied to their shipboard account as a thank you.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. This “Compassion Policy” offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

For existing bookings departing August 1, 2020 and beyond, guests are still able to cancel within their standard cancellation window.

For new bookings on departures August 1 through October 15, 2020, please use the Book with Confidence Program which allows cancellation for any reason at least 30 days prior to departure to receive a Future Cruise Credit.

The above programs do not apply to charters."

So they are not cancelling any cruises, but making it easy for us to cancel...

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

Good point.  That may be why HAL has not instituted the doctor's certificate as did NCL.  I hadn't thought about the doctor's liability.

I have read on these boards about NCL wanting a doctor's certificate.  But when I look at NCL's own web site and their advisory there is no mention of a Doctor's Certificate under their current COVID-19 Travel Alert.  

Hank

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

The last post on the HAL blog was March 7; I've been checking regularly.  Finally, today, this:

"At Holland America Line the health and safety of our guests is of the highest priority.

In order to give travelers greater peace of mind surrounding their upcoming vacation plans, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020 (previously only through May 31 departures).

With the extended date to July 31, guests who booked departures April 1, 2020, through July 31, 2020, under the Book with Confidence program will now be covered under the Short Term Cancel Policy instead.

Cancellations will need to be finalized 48 hours in advance (previously the policy stated 72 hours in advance).

Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of the paid fare, less the cost of Cancellation Protection Plan (Standard or Platinum), which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by Dec. 31, 2020.

For those who choose to keep their cruise plans on departures through May 31, 2020, an Onboard Spending Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages 7 days or longer and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages 6 days or less will be automatically applied to their shipboard account as a thank you.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. This “Compassion Policy” offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

For existing bookings departing August 1, 2020 and beyond, guests are still able to cancel within their standard cancellation window.

For new bookings on departures August 1 through October 15, 2020, please use the Book with Confidence Program which allows cancellation for any reason at least 30 days prior to departure to receive a Future Cruise Credit.

The above programs do not apply to charters."

So they are not cancelling any cruises, but making it easy for us to cancel...

Cunard has made the same extension to July 31. They are also offering OBC if you keep your cruise. 

Cruise lines are finally facing the fact that this is NOT going away quickly.

Yesterday, the UK government issued advice that older people and those with existing health conditions should not cruise. My partner & I both have respiratory conditions so I suspect that this puts paid to my 70th birthday present cruise at the end of May.  The HAL Alaska cruise is part of a wider trip, which includes Western Canada. We'll leave things for a few weeks to see what else develops. Who knows what further decisions may be taken by the UK, American or Canadian governments or, indeed, the airline. But once things are clearer, maybe in a month, we'll start talking to our tour operator in the UK about cancellation and refunds.

• Like 1

The Canadian Gov’t just announced that no cruise ships with a staff and customer count of more than 500 will be permitted to dock in Canada.  Effective until July 1, at which time the directive will be reviewed.   

This closure announcement has been anticipated for several days

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harters said:

Yesterday, the UK government issued advice that older people and those with existing health conditions should not cruise. My partner & I both have respiratory conditions so I suspect that this puts paid to my 70th birthday present cruise at the end of May.  The HAL Alaska cruise is part of a wider trip, which includes Western Canada. We'll leave things for a few weeks to see what else develops. Who knows what further decisions may be taken by the UK, American or Canadian governments or, indeed, the airline. But once things are clearer, maybe in a month, we'll start talking to our tour operator in the UK about cancellation and refunds.

If you are planning to come to BC, then, do check.  We have been advised that if we leave the country, even just for a quick drive across the border into the US, we will have to self-isolate for 14 days when we return.  You don't want to have your holiday here spoiled with 14 days stuck in your hotel room!   I don't know how long that will remain the policy...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

If you are planning to come to BC, then, do check.  

Thanks for the heads-up. I've had a quick look on the provincial government website and, as far as I can see, this is currently a voluntary scheme  for folk to do their "civic duty" and wouldnt apply to tourists. That said, iancal's info about the federal government decision banning cruise ship dockings until 1 July would seem to be the end of the matter.  I still see a battle with our operator in the UK over refunds but not as big a battle as I might have thought.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, laumicmah said:

We took autotrain once and had a roomette and it was unbearable. No sleep for us. Also, would think the germ factor would be the same as on an airplane. If not worse since you are captive in close  quarters way longer than a flight. Plus you have to eat meals on there. 

We had 2 roomettes across from each other. Meals were delivered,to us.Dinner was awful, undesirably awful. We didn’t sleep well because our car was near the front of the train driver we heard the horn blowing all night. Four hours more of driving and we arrived home. Going nowhere for a long while.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I bet!  It has been a madhouse lately.  I'm not sure why, but the local news says people are hoarding, and others are re-selling on line with large markups...

One explanation for panic buying and hoarding is that it's a way to feel in control of a situation that, for the most part, you can't control. It's like people who rush out to buy milk and bread and eggs before a snowstorm--I always wonder if they are planning to live on French toast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

54 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Coming back to empty food stores and no toilet paper made me wish I was still on the Rotterdam.  

The struggle is real. Dh went to the grocery today just for some odds and ends.... he sent me text pics of aisles ransacked. People are clearing off pallets of canned good like piranhas on a cow carcass!! What??? Dog food, cat litter, tp, oatmeal, beans.. all gone.... but hey, the store had plenty of beer and wine. Woohoo. I have to assume these wackadoodles priorities are waaaaaay off. But then I'm mostly German and Irish. 😛

Edited by fatcat04
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One explanation for panic buying and hoarding is that it's a way to feel in control of a situation that, for the most part, you can't control. It's like people who rush out to buy milk and bread and eggs before a snowstorm--I always wonder if they are planning to live on French toast.

14844_10151935964245547_1704364645_n.jpg

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

The struggle is real. Dh went to the grocery today just for some odds and ends.... he sent me text pics of aisles ransacked. People are clearing off pallets of canned good like piranhas on a cow carcass!! What??? Dog food, cat litter, tp, oatmeal, beans.. all gone.... 

And I have to admit, it is terribly contagious, just like a virus!  I had to control myself in Costco when I saw everyone racing around with their carts loaded with tp!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

And I have to admit, it is terribly contagious, just like a virus!  I had to control myself in Costco when I saw everyone racing around with their carts loaded with tp!

I heard someone here in Nashville say "Fear is also a virus." Cool heads, kind hearts folks. We will get through this but only TOGETHER.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Coming back to empty food stores and no toilet paper made me wish I was still on the Rotterdam.  

And it is contagious, because in the region of Rotterdam in (and the whole of) the Netherlands the supermarkets were emptied of a.o. toiletpaper..... RIdiculous.

eBay and Amazon are banning products on their platforms due to resellers price gouging stuff like hand sanitizer ($70 a bottle!!!) and cleaning products. One set of brothers bought all the hand sanitizer they could get, mostly in small town stores and Walmarts. 18000 bottles. These small towns have limited resources and will be without for quite some time. Now the jerks are stuck with all their loot as Amazon and eBay did the right thing and banned their products. The media has put their names are out there for everyone to know. Personally, this kind of behavior makes me long for the days of the community stocks in the middle of town and a nice big basket of rotten tomatoes. Everybody gets a turn!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tennessee-man-sitting-on-almost-18000-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-says-hes-doing-a-public-service-2020-03-14

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

eBay and Amazon are banning products on their platforms due to resellers price gouging stuff like hand sanitizer ($70 a bottle!!!) and cleaning products. One set of brothers bought all the hand sanitizer they could get, mostly in small town stores and Walmarts. 18000 bottles. These small towns have limited resources and will be without for quite some time. Now the jerks are stuck with all their loot as Amazon and eBay did the right thing and banned their products. The media has put their names are out there for everyone to know. Personally, this kind of behavior makes me long for the days of the community stocks in the middle of town and a nice big basket of rotten tomatoes. Everybody gets a turn!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tennessee-man-sitting-on-almost-18000-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-says-hes-doing-a-public-service-2020-03-14

Forget the stocks and tomatoes. In these days of facebook and instagram and so forth, they'd be selling photos of themselves being pelted to make a few bucks. There is no shame any more.

If those brothers had a soul, they would donate the sanitizer to hospitals or nursing homes.

• Like 2