Dr. Fauci: "Above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

SumoCitrus

Just saw this.....:(

FT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The Regal Princess cruise ship is not being allowed to dock in South Florida after passengers aboard were told two crew members are being tested for COVID-19 coronavirus.

It's believed those crew previously were on board the Grand Princess ship, which for days has been forbidden to dock in San Francisco after at least 20 positive coronavirus cases were reported. At least one person among those cases died.

The air filtration systems on airplanes apparently do a better job of getting rid of the virus, though that wouldn't protect you if an infected person is within 6 feet or so. 

As to the "why" there has been no announcement about flying, this was reported late last night:

"The White House this week batted down a recommendation from health officials that elderly people and those who are “physically fragile” not fly on commercial airplanes, an unnamed official with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press. 

The AP reported that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) submitted a plan this week with the recommendation as a way to control the spread of the virus. However, administration officials reportedly ordered that particular provision of the plan be removed, according to the federal official. 

The Trump administration has since then suggested that those who are most susceptible to the virus not travel but, according the news source, has “stopped short of stronger guidance” laid out by the CDC."

Source: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/486475-trump-administration-overrode-health-officials-recommendation-that-elderly

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't it be wonderful if airlines waived all change fees, regardless of when you booked  your air travel?

I'm not afraid of air travel, but would be upset if I was forced to fly into an area that has been deemed a hot spot, simply because I didn't want to eat the cost of the plane ticket.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be wonderful if politicians followed the advice of the experts?

I watched an interesting documentary about the Spanish Flu, I'm not comparing, as our living conditions, water quality, and health care are far different than they were 102 years ago, but there were similarities, namely travel and politicians that were ignoring the advice of the health professionals.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Kfrech said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if airlines waived all change fees, regardless of when you booked  your air travel?

I

I'm really hoping for this! I have been thinking about it for two weeks!  I find it ridiculous that if you book a flight today, you will be able to change your tickets if you need to, but for those of us who bought our airfare prior to the virus issue, we are locked in with no change option available!  I have airfare to Europe for this summer, if I could change it, I would!

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Why nothing about flying on a germ factory airplane?

A useful and (mostly) non-hysterical discussion comparison between the filtration and air circulation system on board modern, pressurized, commercial airliners and cruise ships can be found here. The short answer is the aircraft use HEPA filters of sufficient small-particle trapping size to block virus in droplets. (Air travel still poses significant risks of viral transmission from close quarters, handles, etc etc but the air circulation issue is fundamentally different.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if politicians followed the advice of the experts?

I watched an interesting documentary about the Spanish Flu, I'm not comparing, as our living conditions, water quality, and health care are far different than they were 102 years ago, but there were similarities, namely travel and politicians that were ignoring the advice of the health professionals.

I just read an article about that epidemic and how bad it was in Philadelphia because of a corrupt local government and health officials with little authority. The worst thing they did was not cancel a big parade to celebrate the large military population in Philly. Crowds for 2 miles, just spreading germs amongst themselves. 

There was a brief item in the news last night saying the NBA is considering playing their games without anyone in the arena. LeBron James said he wouldn't play without fans in the house. 

The worst thing about the cruise ship is how easily the government can refuse to let it dock. It's more difficult to quarantine everyone who was on a plane with someone who has come down with the COVID virus. People disperse quickly after a flight. But on a ship, one person has symptoms and there's a captive population to be quarantined. It's just the nature of cruising that makes ship passengers easier to keep out of a port. Just look at how Westerdam was jerked around by countries that still had flights arriving and departing.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, emarismom said:

I'm really hoping for this! I have been thinking about it for two weeks!  I find it ridiculous that if you book a flight today, you will be able to change your tickets if you need to, but for those of us who bought our airfare prior to the virus issue, we are locked in with no change option available!  I have airfare to Europe for this summer, if I could change it, I would!

This is why we purchase air through Flightease for our cruises.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SumoCitrus said:

From this morning:   

This is pretty intense. My parents were discussing their upcoming cruises with me this morning and whether they should go.

I saw the interview too - that is exactly what he said. Glad you went ahead with your post. 

Edited by ncgolferette
  • Like 1

We both have conditions, me heart, him suppressed immune. So we're cancelling our April 15th HAL cruise & hoping American will extend its fly-by-March 31st to also let us cancel our flights... Since Allianz' (wonderful in the past) new policy denies reimbursement for pandemics, grrr, we're willing to eat the Marriott non-refundable hotel if we must.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The worst thing about the cruise ship is how easily the government can refuse to let it dock. It's more difficult to quarantine everyone who was on a plane with someone who has come down with the COVID virus. People disperse quickly after a flight. But on a ship, one person has symptoms and there's a captive population to be quarantined. It's just the nature of cruising that makes ship passengers easier to keep out of a port. Just look at how Westerdam was jerked around by countries that still had flights arriving and departing.

This is exactly right.  Right now, we have no travel scheduled at all until late May, but we do have 5 cruises booked within the next 8 months.  We still have a while before final payment on any of them and we haven't made any flight reservations.  Just hotels, which can all be cancelled with no penalty.  

I am more concerned with catching the virus in an airport or airplane than on a ship, but am definitely more concerned about being quarantined on a ship than on land.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kfrech said:

I'm not afraid of air travel, but would be upset if I was forced to fly into an area that has been deemed a hot spot, simply because I didn't want to eat the cost of the plane ticket.

Icelandair has for the most part.  Their website states change fees are waived for all new bookings made from 3 March through 16 March, 2020 traveling before 31 May 2020.  And, on all bookings with ticket numbers beginning 108-240 issued before 3 March, 2020 with travel before 31 May.  But changes must be made 5 days before departure.

I’m flying to Iceland Saturday on one of the 108-240 tickets and would need to make a decision by tomorrow, however, the travel insurance company has already told one of my traveling companions that they won’t pay if you cancel because you think you might get sick.  Dr’s certificate only, which makes sense.

We cancelled our plane reservations from Florida under doctors orders and had a choice of driving 17hours with overnight stops and restaurant meals or taking the auto train. We opted for the train and hope we’ll be safe taking all precautions we can. We have Roometts.

My daughter and grandsons live in   New Rochelle, Westchester county, ground zero for thee NY virus.His school is closed and he’s been in quarantine all week.

Not planning on any other travel by sea or air for a while.

Edited by mamaofami

44 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

We both have conditions, me heart, him suppressed immune. So we're cancelling our April 15th HAL cruise & hoping American will extend its fly-by-March 31st to also let us cancel our flights... Since Allianz' (wonderful in the past) new policy denies reimbursement for pandemics, grrr, we're willing to eat the Marriott non-refundable hotel if we must.

Call your Marriott directly.  Ask for in-house reservations, NOT the Front Desk.  Explain the situation and ask if they can refund or do an exchange for another date.  If they say no, ask for their Revenue Director and see if she will assist.  I remember doing special things for guests in special circumstances, even non-refundable.  It's not like you're going to lie about why you want to maybe refund...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some time ago we had a non refundable weekend stay at a Fairmont property.  We had to cancel for family health issues.  Called Fairmont, explained the situation.  They gave us an immediate refund.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

From this morning:   

This is the best advice I have seen on this board in some time.  Why not wait until this crisis is over?  The ships an the ports will still be there.

This is pretty intense. My parents were discussing their upcoming cruises with me this morning and whether they should go.

2 hours ago, sofietucker said:

5 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

From this morning:   

Read this and decided we should cancel since we're in our 70's and have diabetes and asthma.   Then I looked at HAL's prices on our same cruise for next year and they have doubled the price!  Has anyone else seen the same thing?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mgetta3 said:

Read this and decided we should cancel since we're in our 70's and have diabetes and asthma.   Then I looked at HAL's prices on our same cruise for next year and they have doubled the price!  Has anyone else seen the same thing?

3 minutes ago, Xaintrix said:

I wouldn't be surprised with so many people rebooking after the cancellation policy change allowed them an out that these future cruises are getting crushed with reservations.

Oh, has it happened already?  I hadn't checked, but I was afraid of this.  We will all have just our FCCs instead of cash refunds so we are the quintessential definition of a captive audience.

• Thanks 1