IS THIS FAIR?

Both of us are over 80 and naturally concerned.  To our inquiry, our multi-years TA will also charge us $100 to cancel our July cruise if we need to do that.  We think it is a CRUel CON.

• Like 1

Our TA stated this in the cancellation confirmation:

**YOU WILL RECEIVE A VOUCHER IN THE AMOUNT OF OUR CANCEL PENALTY TO USE ON A FUTURE CRUISE WITH US**

Since we're getting A FCC, it will all work out. But, I would have preferred if we had not been charged in the first place. 

38 minutes ago, Bery said:

Both of us are over 80 and naturally concerned.  To our inquiry, our multi-years TA will also charge us $100 to cancel our July cruise if we need to do that.  We think it is a CRUel CON.

They got me once.  Have booked thousands of dollars worth of cruises since with other agencies.  Never looked back.

6 minutes ago, dasmonkey said:

They got me once.  Have booked thousands of dollars worth of cruises since with other agencies.  Never looked back.

As will I.  Is it their right to charge a fee?  Yes.  Is it the right business decision?  No

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

Perhaps you booked with a nonrefundable deposit. In this case it is true that there is $100 charge. Sorry this happened to you but if you’re in your 70s with medical conditions you should not have booked with a nonrefundable deposit.

The OP stated and others have reiterated that this is NOT a fee being charged by Royal Caribbean.  It's not the nonrefundable deposit change fee -- it's a cancellation fee being charged by the Travel Agent and not Royal. 

This travel agent charges a cancellation fee even on a refundable deposit cruise -- the idea is that it covers their business costs since they wouldn't normally be getting a commission on a cancelled trip, but they have time / expenses involved in originally booking the trip.   However, in this case, Royal is paying the commission even though the trip has been cancelled, so it's just rude on the TA's part to enforce the fee.

As to the OP's original questions -- is it fair? 

Yes, it is fair -- you were informed about the fee at the time you booked the cruise, and you chose to book through this TA anyway.

Is it good business practice?  Nope, not at all, ESPECIALLY since Royal is protecting their commission on the cancelled trip.  

For what it's worth, my travel agent doesn't charge me any fees, and often can find me a better price (through group rates he has behind-the-scenes access to) than I can find for myself.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

My big box ta does not charge a cancellation fee.  Are you sure it is not from the non refundable deposit?  If you are sailing after July 31st normal policies are in effect.  If it is before then, they should not be charging you a fee. imho

There is couple large Travel Agencies that have always charged this extra $100 to cancel, nothing do with Royal refundable or not. 

I talked to our online travel agency who also charges a cancellation fee, about canceling a cruise because of the coronavirus, she said that the fee would be charged, but you would receive a refundable obc, of the full amount to be within one year of issue.

The fee has been there since I started with them about fifteen years ago. This is the first time it might come into play.

I have used a large online cruise booking site with the same agent for over 40 cruises.  They have a policy to charge $100 if you cancel.  I have never cancelled in the past, but if I ever did and they charged me, it would be my last booking with them.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe a reputable agency would charge you now, with the virus going around.  If they do I bet there are plenty of agents who would love a new client.

I probably should have mentioned: We are paying for 7 bookings (a 90th birthday family celebration).  $100 cancellation fee X 7= $700 in cancellation fees.  Yes, a CRUel CON.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is really crappy as you were past final payment and the cruise line is protecting the agents commission on all cancelled booking and paying commission on the FCC.  For them to charge you a fee on top of this is just downright wrong.

I'm booked with an online US cruise agency. Decided to cancel (was already in 100% penalty).

I was given a cancellation form, which I signed and scanned. 

I asked for another Apex cruise, May 2021. My agent was able to retain the same booking #, with same perks as the old Apex cruise. The full payment was transferred to the new booking. Very smooth.

No cancellation fee, though on the contract it is written that the agency "may impose a 50$ pp cancellation fee".

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I'm booked with an online US cruise agency. Decided to cancel (was already in 100% penalty).

I was given a cancellation form, which I signed and scanned. 

I asked for another Apex cruise, May 2021. My agent was able to retain the same booking #, with same perks as the old Apex cruise. The full payment was transferred to the new booking. Very smooth.

No cancellation fee, though on the contract it is written that the agency "may impose a 50$ pp cancellation fee".

Is that the invoice from Celebrity or from the TA.  They are different with different invoice numbers.  A lot of TA's do not provide cruise line invoices to clients. I have yet to hear of Royal reusing  the same invoice. 

sounds like this TA has a policy of charging for cancelation.  no one is under an obligation to suspend their policies  even  during times such as this.  

so is it fair?  yes.   is it legal?  yep.  

as for whether it is the right thing to do?   no comment.   Im not in a position to  pass judgment on a company for doing business as per usual 

3 hours ago, Bery said:

See my post, I think it's #34. That was through them. I think the resolution is more than fair, if you cruise with them within a year, you get your money back. I've done 26 cruises with them and have absolutely no reason to look elsewhere.

I never worked for free and I don't think anybody else should.

4 hours ago, coaster said:

To the OP... Does the TA company start with an C and ends in a N? I am on the hook for $100 per person if I cancel with them.

We just cancelled with them and they are giving the $100 cancellation fee back to us as an FCC.

5 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

Now our travel agency,(a big box one) who we have used many times in the past is charging us $100.00 as a cancellation fee.  Do you think this if right?

• "Right" as in "valid and permissible"?  Probably, depending on the terms and conditions you accepted with the booking.
  • "Right" as in "good business"?  Of course not.  They are alienating a regular customer and risking that relationship for only $100.  Should you take your business elsewhere in the future, it'll probably cost them much more than $100.

--bruce T.

31 minutes ago, godawgs227 said:

We just cancelled with them and they are giving the $100 cancellation fee back to us as an FCC.

See entry #37:  7 bookings @ $1000’s of dollars.   Now  $700 cancellation fees.  Family together for 90th birthday celebration.  Longtime client cruisers. Many referrals.  No loss of income to agency. Loyalty not reciprocated.

Edited by Bery

5 hours ago, garycarla said:

Customer takes a $100 hit.

Agency that booked and cancelled has to spend money to do so.

The cruise line will take an even bigger hit.

Sometimes life sucks - $100 is peanuts.

Normally I would agree with you -- the fee was disclosed prior to booking, and the customer was aware, and the agency deserves to be paid for the work they did (because they would lose the commission when the cruise gets cancelled, and therefore lose their payment). 

HOWEVER, in this instance, the travel agency is STILL GETTING THEIR COMMISSION FROM ROYAL.... they're getting money from Royal AND getting money from the customer.   

The TA is getting MORE money from a cancelled cruise than they would get from the original cruise.  That's just poor customer service, and they deserve to lose the customer in that situation.  

If the TA were losing their commission, I'd have no problem with them collecting the cancellation fee; this is a special circumstance because Royal is honoring the commission.

• Like 2