Refund timing?

dlesh77

48 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

HAL cancelled our 3/27 cruise on The Rotterdam on March 14th. I immediately opted for the refund and actually submitted the request twice for my money back. On April 9th my TA reached out to let me know that my agent I usually do business with was laid off and that this person would be handling my future bookings. I asked if she could check with HAL on the status of my refund since my DW had been laid off and the money would be beneficial. Get this. HAL told her I had requested a FCC! I definitely had not. She was then told I would have to wait up to 60 days from April 9th to see my refund. I don't think I am unreasonable in thinking that it is totally unacceptable for me to have to wait nearly 90 days from when THEY cancelled my cruise to receive my refund. I am only a 2 Star Mariner so I guess I'm not a priority. This whole thing is leaving a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Especially since others who cancelled on their own accord are seeing refunds in days, not waiting for months like me.

I'm confused. If your TA reached out to you then what agent are you referring to?

My TA got upset with me that I put in the dispute - he said that can hurt his profits or something. Tough (not that there was a profit - it was only a deposit).

I did get the refund on my card. I'm surprised others didn't?

1 hour ago, Ellen495 said:

My TA got upset with me that I put in the dispute - he said that can hurt his profits or something. Tough (not that there was a profit - it was only a deposit).

From my understanding and past experience,  when you put in the dispute, and the card company feels it is a legitimate claim, they will “cover” that amount with their funds and process a credit - and proceed to investigate.  It does not necessarily mean HAL has actually made the refund - the card company is extending you a courtesy refund in the meantime, until it is resolved.

Your TA will be getting commission on the booking, HAL as stated by the cruiseline(sj  for  all cancelled cruises, so far.  I guess by disputing the charge,  it may affect the status of that?  I am not sure of that component.

I am awaiting a small refund, regarding a recent cancellation for 2021, and a few shore excursions.  My TA told me it would take approx 30-60 days, possibly 90 days.  When I called the credit card company, they documented that information on my records, but recommended to wait the allotted time.

Carol

My experience is that it is always better to work it out with the merchant. You will get the refund, you just have to wait 60 to 90 days. People are booking 2021. Look at the prices. You just have to wait until there is enough money for refunds.

I got fed up with being jerked around by HAL on a cruise that has now come and gone.  This week put in a dispute with VISA and am awaiting a refund.  This experience has lost them a customer and I'm voting with my feet (anyone but HAL)  Looks good on them to have a merchant charge reversed for being a holes.  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Searanger said:

I got fed up with being jerked around by HAL on a cruise that has now come and gone.  This week put in a dispute with VISA and am awaiting a refund.  This experience has lost them a customer and I'm voting with my feet (anyone but HAL)  Looks good on them to have a merchant charge reversed for being a holes.  

not trying to be a HAL cheerleader, but if you go to any of the boards for NCL, Azamara, Oceania, Princess, Celebrity, and on and on - you will see and read  the same complaints, and same wait times quoted to those cruiselines’ cancelled passengers.

• Like 3

I really do understand both sides, but we didn't want the money tied up that long. I don't know how I feel about future cruise. I wouldn't avoid HAL for this reason though. I don't think they're worse than any other cruise company with refunds. 

• Like 1

Wow, I guess I've been bamboozled...  I use Vacations To Go.  I canceled my 3 cruises (2 HAL, 1 RSSC) in March and haven't seen a penny for the deposits or the insurance payments.  My cruise counselor tells me to be patient.  I tried to escalate to her boss, but it looks like he was laid off.  They don't provide a replacement name; only a toll-free phone number that rings off the hook.

Anybody have any suggestions on my next move?  Should I write to Allan Fox (president of VTG)? 

Thanks in advance...

3 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We have a Aug, 8 cruise with air,🙃 and  final payment do soon ????? what to do ??🙃

I just cancelled my early August cruise and air, since I was afraid that even if we cruised (unlikely), some of the ports could be closed or places to visit limited.  Not worth the hassle and expense IMO.

Edited by DaveOKC

Perhaps e-mail to Alan Fox - might get some butts moving.  VTG - says booking associates are working remotely.

Last year, I had issue with TA assigned to my booking, a response from Mr Alan Fox was received, but that could have just been "the standard corporate gobble de goop" .  Any way the e-mail contacts for Mr "President" Fox and a resolution associate this was autumn 2019 are: 

1. cderdak@*****.com - resolution associate (who knows if he's still there)
  2. alanfox@*****.com

VTG - COVID19 - update screen advising 30 to 90 days refund processing credits.  The web page also advises if it's possible to delay to Apr 30/20.

They also have Resorts to Go - contact = 800-998-6928

• 23 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

Wow, I guess I've been bamboozled...  I use Vacations To Go.  I canceled my 3 cruises (2 HAL, 1 RSSC) in March and haven't seen a penny for the deposits or the insurance payments.  My cruise counselor tells me to be patient.  I tried to escalate to her boss, but it looks like he was laid off.  They don't provide a replacement name; only a toll-free phone number that rings off the hook.

Anybody have any suggestions on my next move?  Should I write to Allan Fox (president of VTG)? 

Thanks in advance...

Good Luck.  Joanne (aka-friedaliene)

Edited by friedaliene

I've tracking friends that on Royal - T/A in Nov 1/20 (Barcelona).  They have tourism articles advising that Spain might be locked down until New Year 2021.  Also, new concerns about CDC advisement of temperature check prior to boarding.  If you have elevated temp - cruise-line (any) are to deny boarding.  So if your deny boarding, off you trot to find a hotel that are also temp checking and can deny you accommodation.  If, you get to Europe and then have to re-board back to North American - 1. will you find a flight home: 2. will they allow you to board with elevated temp.

Also, Royal has instituted fitness for travel for over '70's, needs to be completed by your family doctor, high blood pressure, COPD, diabetes, heart ailments or conditions. Some travellers questioning validity, I have to assume that it falls under similar criteria as "Pre-existing conditions" for travel / health coverage.  This moves the liability to the traveller.  Stay safe, self distance and now wear the damned masks.  This is my posting from few days ago. Trying to remain positive in this world of craziness.

• On 4/22/2020 at 1:15 AM, friedaliene said:

I have CYBER flown to Fort Lauderdale - at 7:45 am today in anticipation of boarding my T/A to Amsterdam - ship boarding is Apr 22/20.  Of course I've cyber packed way to much as always.  Paid through the nose for N95 masks - for hubby and me.  Flew a huge Oxygen hyper filter to cleanse our cabin air. and have a case of DUCT tape to seal the windows and doors.  Have 2 personal Hazmat suits that I had converted to have oxygen feed when we leave the cabin. We tried eating soup in Hazmat suits - it's a messy affair.  Sleeping in Hazmat suit is awkward when you need to roll over and going to the Loo - well you don't want me to go there.   image.jpeg.54bbf03c44011d1940223cab28163875.jpeg 🚢 Ship Emoji

Stay safe and practice Social Distancing.   Joanne (aka - friedaliene)

1 hour ago, kstrittm said:

Thanks in advance...

Dispute with your credit card.

17 hours ago, kstrittm said:

Thanks in advance...

Sorry to hear this.  I booked with HAL directly and when I cancelled a month ago I got 50% in credit card refund within two days but the other 50% is in FCC and am still awaiting news on that.

As mentioned before, Celebrity is giving out refunds:

"On March 27 I cancelled our cruise scheduled for November of 2020.

Yesterday I received a complete refund of the $900 deposit.

Took 28 days.

Thank you Celebrity!!!!!"

"On March 16 I cancelled a December cruise. All of the payments $11,000+ have been refunded.  Most were on the BOA Celebrity Visa.  Called this morning and will have the money deposited into our checking account in 2 - 5 business days."

"good news I , received my $900 back yesterday from a booking I cancelled mid March.

thank you Celebrity!"

"We were stuck in Fort Lauderdale (from Southern California) for the March 14th cruise on the Equinox.  I requested a refund on March 16th.  Checked my credit card this morning, and the refund for everything except the airfare booked through Celebrity was on my card.  Yippee!"

"Today I received a full refund to my X Visa card for the March 30 Coastal sailing of Eclipse, which was cancelled by Celebrity on March 13.  I requested the refund on the 14th."

Alright HAL, now it's your turn!

From you refunds being processed so quickly, Celebrity under the Royal corporate umbrella is doing fiscally better than poor Carnival Corp.  Also, based on your loyalty to Celebrity they doesn't want an unhappy future cruiser !!  I will do my HAPPY Dance image.jpeg.a9b33cf882588a9da54bbeb2ab00f957.jpeg image.jpeg.42e3abbc0307024c9c0d4315e9a3fef7.jpeg

- when I receive my FCC back as a credit refund to my credit card.  

Not cruiser related, but received my refund from hotelier in Amsterdam, was booked 3rd party internet server.  Was booked as a non-refundable booking.  I guess when COVID19 "poop" hit the fan all hospitality providers had to re-think their strategy.  

My summation - tourism, hospitality providers are going to be hurting for awhile. All those TA working for internet services from their homes have all been hit.  I will give Holland kudos from paying the commissions to all the 3rd party TA's.  Joanne (aka - friedaliene)   

Edited by friedaliene

I have been following the Celebrity  boards and there are many folks over there who have not received anything in terms of refunds from Celebrity. I have canceled cruises on both HAL and Celebrity and have received nothing from either one. We shall see which shows up first. Knowing all the cruise lines are bleeding cash, I have my doubts that I will receive anything back. And I have three more cruises on HAL which I have deposits on and have not canceled.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:50 PM, Ellen495 said:

When a dispute is put in the merchant, (your TA) is charged a chargeback fee from the credit card company.  In Canada it is $35.00 against the merchant.  Always better as a courtesy to let the TA do their job.  If TA goes bankrupt then all bets would be off and a chargeback request to the credit card company would be in order.

I am waiting for a refund from Seabourn on a July cruise I cancelled. Was told  60 to 90 days to get the refund. I will cancel two cruises on HAL with small deposits rather than going through the long wait times for a refund. Only small deposits, so not a big deal . It really makes me think twice about booking for 2021. However, if the refunds were timely, on might think booking a cruise in 2021 would not be as big of a deal. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. 

We will cancel before final payment given the fact refunds are taking 60-90 days.  Looking at CCL/NCL/RCL financial balance sheet, ALL three companies are bleeding bad. I would not be surprised if any of them file for chapter 11 BK and start diluting stock shares to keep the company afloat. We are not ready to hand out large sum of money during financial uncertainty.

I just discovered that under NCL corporate banner are Regent Seven Seas and Oceania.  I agree with Janet 76, no one knows how things will shake out after the COVID19 nightmare.

Friends, currently booked on Royal in Nov are wondering if things are gonna be squared away with the virus. Quite a few are beginning to question if the virus and flu will rear their ugly heads. With no vaccine available I don't know if I would want risk the "Petri" dish of a cruise ship.

• 20 minutes ago, Janet76 said:

We will cancel before final payment given the fact refunds are taking 60-90 days.  Looking at CCL/NCL/RCL financial balance sheet, ALL three companies are bleeding bad. I would not be surprised if any of them file for chapter 11 BK and start diluting stock shares to keep the company afloat. We are not ready to hand out large sum of money during financial uncertainty.

My life became easier when I disputed the charge with my credit card company and I no longer “owed” Capitol One the cost of my cancelled 4/5 cruise.  Currently, I cannot afford to “loan” my money to a large corporation.