Refund timing?

dlesh77

I cancelled my July cruise. I was within the 100% refund timing. They only have about 1000 dollars - but still - it's my money. I cancelled March 17th. Today is April 13th and nothing. I cancelled through my TA.

I think I was ahead of he curve.  I had to cancel March 5 for my end of April cruise - couldn't wait out for HAL to cancel which it did - because had other plans that needed to be cancelled at that time.  I got 50/50 - cash/FCC.  My credit card was reimbursed  for the 50 percent cash I was due on March 7 - not sure what exactly my FCC is.  Not posted yet. 

1 minute ago, gailellen12 said:

I think I was ahead of he curve.  I had to cancel March 5 for my end of April cruise - couldn't wait out for HAL to cancel which it did - because had other plans that needed to be cancelled at that time.  I got 50/50 - cash/FCC.  My credit card was reimbursed  for the 50 percent cash I was due on March 7 - not sure what exactly my FCC is.  Not posted yet. 

Same situation here - talked to my HAL PCC yesterday and the FCC has not yet been posted to my account, she said I will get an email when it does from HAL explaining what to do.

1 hour ago, Ellen495 said:

We put in a dispute with the credit card company. That will hurry them up.

We did that too and most of of what we are owed still hasn't come back.. just the internet packages we purchased. 

Cancelled end of May cruise on March 18.  Have not received anything yet.  Opted for a cash refund.  We did, however, booked a new cruise for next year.  Have been assured that our $600 deposit would be refunded at any time prior to Feb 2021.  We'll see.  Opted for a cash cruise Vs. getting FCC.

FYI - Press Release:  Carnival Corp - April 14/20 - Global Pause of Operations through to June 30/20.

This covers Carnival, Princess, Holland America & Seabourn. Other lines under Carnival Corp: Cunard, Aida, P & O, or Costa currently aren't included in this pause of operations.  They are still holding operations until May 15/20.

Princess / Alaska will not be operating nor the lodges, trains under the land packages.  Of course Canada has closed it's ports of operation until July 1/20.

• I send this text only as a caution. I can't foresee into the future I read lots and trying to digest where the cruise industry is at this point and time. Many of you will likely elect to take an enhanced FCC.  Also, I realize that many were booked with other corporation. The current share value for Carnival Corp has gone from $56 Dec. 26/19 to a current Apr. 3/20 posting of $8.62 a share. On Mar 13/20 Carnival Corp. secured the final portion of loan procurement balance of $3 billion to shore up the Corp due to COVID19.  For the fiscal year end of November 2020, Carnival Corp is predicting a net loss.

The American Federal government is not including the cruise industry for any type of funding assistance.  The cruise industry has chosen to register their business off-shore.  If you don't pay American taxes why should you received American assistance?

All cruise-lines have taken a huge financial hit it will remain to be see who comes out the other side.  

I was prudent and chose to cancel early. I managed to recover all my commitments on flights, hotels and extended travel in Europe.  In talking to an associate on Apr 2/20 - VISA - Travel Card (Canada) insurance coverage to date they have 24,000 requests for funds recovery - this insurance is to a maximum of $1,500 (Cdn) per individual.  I also spoke to an associate with Visa / Disputed charges, they too are overwhelmed and working with reduced staff. Their position was attempt resolution with the Vendor / Holland .

I cancelled Mar 6/20 for cruise departure Apr 22/20.  My only option at time was FCC for portion of cruise past cancellation deadline plus credit card refund for balance of cruise plus the Flight Ease booking.  I had requested that the FCC be refund back to credit card.  This was declined twice.  On Apr 7/20 - Holland will now issue the FCC they hold, back as a refund to my credit card.  I was advised that this accounting process could take up to 60 days.

Stay safe, self distance.

Someone on my roll call for our April 6 cruise posted today that he had received his refund.  Now, I don't know when he cancelled, and we did not cancel - waited for HAL to make the decision to cancel the cruise (which was March 14), so I don't know if the refunds will be organized by actual cruise date, or by the date the cancellation happened...  But I will be checking this week!

My March 18 cruise was canceled by HAL on March 13. I completed their online form on March 16, requesting a full refund. It's been over a month, still no refund. After a month of waiting I finally went on chat, and sent them an email. Both the chat rep and the email just say "60 days." 60 days from when? When I completed the form requesting the refund? 60 days from today?

The chat rep informed me that they didn't even start looking at refunds until April 1. So they sat on the refund requests for two and a half weeks. Maybe they wouldn't be so far behind if they started processing the refunds as the requests came in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cavecreekguy said:

My March 18 cruise was canceled by HAL on March 13. I completed their online form on March 16, requesting a full refund. It's been over a month, still no refund. After a month of waiting I finally went on chat, and sent them an email. Both the chat rep and the email just say "60 days." 60 days from when? When I completed the form requesting the refund? 60 days from today?

The chat rep informed me that they didn't even start looking at refunds until April 1. So they sat on the refund requests for two and a half weeks. Maybe they wouldn't be so far behind if they started processing the refunds as the requests came in.

I guess that means the 60-day countdown restarts every time you inquire. 😉

• Haha 1

I cancelled my HAL cruise from Venice departing 15th May on 13th March. I've made 4 calls to HAL and only managed to speak to anyone once.  When I did get to speak to someone I was told they are taking a minimum of 60 days to process and cancelation made by customers, this is not he same situation as HAL advising customers the cruise has been cancelled. So beware there are two different processes going on here.  In effect HAL and all cruise lines have got all customers at their mercy as to if and when we will get refunds.  I was asked if I wanted a FCC which I declined.  The same cruise for 2021 is around £1300pp more than I was to pay in 2020, hence my decision not to take FCC.  

We were in our hotel room in Ft Lauderdale on the 13th of March when we received notice that our March 15th cruise was going to be cancelled.  We had to scramble to make plans to return home, but that turned out to be no big deal thanks to Southwest Airlines and their way of doing business.

A couple of days ago I sent an email to HAL concerned that we had not received anything concerning our refund and FCC; this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line concerning your canceled ms Koningsdam voyage.

Refunds and Future Cruise Credits (FCC) will be processed as we work through the backlog in reservations accounting.  We anticipate refund and future cruise credit processing times to take up to approximately 60 to 90 days.  Once the FCC is built and attached to your Mariner number you will be notified by email.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance.  Thank you for contacting Holland America Line.

Kind Regards,

You will receive your refund in less than 30 days, became your refund will be issued in 30 -- 60 days, and now it is 60 -- 90 days.

Good luck,

Kel

• Like 1

I’m not looking for the refund of my cancelled Alaska cruise until at least July or August.  I filled out the refund cancellation as soon as HAL stated the cruise was cancelled. Today I received an email informing me that I still needed to provide them with my flight information for my arrival in Alaska.  This tells me the cancellation as not yet been processed.

I am now just past 6 weeks since cancelling on March 8th.  I had received a reply e from HAL  7 - 14 business days to process, then in another e, 4 - 6 weeks.  The 6th week was yesterday.  Patience is a virtue I guess.  

We cancelled our HAL - T/A on Mar 6/20 - departure date was Apr. 22.  I received early on the Flight Ease portion of my booking as well as the credit still available under cancellation date restrictions.  At the time, HAL was only issuing FCC = to the balance, but no enhanced FCC, for the portion that no fell in cancellation guidelines.  Since then HAL has revised their position and has agreed to a refund credit of the monies sitting as FCC.  I was advised 60 days minimum for processing and that was Apr. 7/20.  I just keep checking my bank records daily if it has been processed through.

• 2 hours ago, Reagan0712 said:

I’m not looking for the refund of my cancelled Alaska cruise until at least July or August.  I filled out the refund cancellation as soon as HAL stated the cruise was cancelled. Today I received an email informing me that I still needed to provide them with my flight information for my arrival in Alaska.  This tells me the cancellation as not yet been processed.

1 hour ago, gigianne said:

I am now just past 6 weeks since cancelling on March 8th.  I had received a reply e from HAL  7 - 14 business days to process, then in another e, 4 - 6 weeks.  The 6th week was yesterday.  Patience is a virtue I guess.  

6 minutes ago, friedaliene said:

We cancelled our HAL - T/A on Mar 6/20 - departure date was Apr. 22.  I received early on the Flight Ease portion of my booking as well as the credit still available under cancellation date restrictions.  At the time, HAL was only issuing FCC = to the balance, but no enhanced FCC, for the portion that no fell in cancellation guidelines.  Since then HAL has revised their position and has agreed to a refund credit of the monies sitting as FCC.  I was advised 60 days minimum for processing and that was Apr. 7/20.  I just keep checking my bank records daily if it has been processed through.

•  

Am I understanding this correctly?  You cancelled your cruise and (guessing) were to get a 50% refund and 50% FCC and now, HAL has agreed to refund the FCC as well in cash?  If I am reading this correctly what did you have to do to succeed at this.

I ask as we cancelled within a couple of days (March 7/8th) as you did and like you our cruise was in the next window of cancellations (April 19th).  So, It appears we are in similar circumstances.

Thank you kindly for your assistance and/ clarification. 

My cruise was April 19th from Fort Lauderdale.  HAL is holding a huge amount of my money.  They are not playing fair at all, and risk losing the goodwill of their loyal mariners.  I haven't received anything, I cancelled in March. I am very dismayed with how HAL is handling this.

HAL cancelled our 3/27 cruise on The Rotterdam on March 14th. I immediately opted for the refund and actually submitted the request twice for my money back. On April 9th my TA reached out to let me know that my agent I usually do business with was laid off and that this person would be handling my future bookings. I asked if she could check with HAL on the status of my refund since my DW had been laid off and the money would be beneficial. Get this. HAL told her I had requested a FCC! I definitely had not. She was then told I would have to wait up to 60 days from April 9th to see my refund. I don't think I am unreasonable in thinking that it is totally unacceptable for me to have to wait nearly 90 days from when THEY cancelled my cruise to receive my refund. I am only a 2 Star Mariner so I guess I'm not a priority. This whole thing is leaving a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Especially since others who cancelled on their own accord are seeing refunds in days, not waiting for months like me.

Edited by Island Dog
  • Like 1

The level of refunds / FCC credits having to be processed by all the cruise-lines is probably huge, really huge. While, I am remaining positive that HAL will come thru I have also processed Visa / Travel Card insurance coverage request.

This is on a Canadian Visa / Travel Card.  There are limitations to the dollar value the insurance covers $1,500 (Cdn.) each. I also sought council from VISA / disputed charges and they have indicated a glimmer of hope that this may be eligible for a disputed charges.  The insurer of the Visa / Travel Card when I filed my claim had 26,000 claims submitted (this is for Canadian Visa card holders only).

My booking was with a 3rd party Internet service, initially they were charging $100 (US) to process the cancellation.  Then HAL published in one of their Press Releases that Travel Agencies and their associates would be receiving the commissions earned on the cancelled bookings.  I contacted the Internet Agency and requested my cancellation fee be refunded as the agency was double dipping.  It took 3 completed calls and numerous others that were dropped and 3 weeks processing time but I got most of my $100 (US) minus all the currency exchange calculations.  I'm NOT complaining about $8.00 short fall in the daily changes for currency exchange. 8 bucks is a coffee and doughnut (that I don't need).

I also am only a 2 Star Mariner most of my clout is with Princess (Platinum).  

I think Carnival Corp - the corporate umbrella needs to recognize travel days between all of their lines.  Royal Caribbean - looks at travel days between all their lines - Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara.

• 47 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

HAL cancelled our 3/27 cruise on The Rotterdam on March 14th. I immediately opted for the refund and actually submitted the request twice for my money back. On April 9th my TA reached out to let me know that my agent I usually do business with was laid off and that this person would be handling my future bookings. I asked if she could check with HAL on the status of my refund since my DW had been laid off and the money would be beneficial. Get this. HAL told her I had requested a FCC! I definitely had not. She was then told I would have to wait up to 60 days from April 9th to see my refund. I don't think I am unreasonable in thinking that it is totally unacceptable for me to have to wait nearly 90 days from when THEY cancelled my cruise to receive my refund. I am only a 2 Star Mariner so I guess I'm not a priority. This whole thing is leaving a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Especially since others who cancelled on their own accord are seeing refunds in days, not waiting for months like me.

1 hour ago, nyceve said:

My cruise was April 19th from Fort Lauderdale.  HAL is holding a huge amount of my money.  They are not playing fair at all, and risk losing the goodwill of their loyal mariners.  I haven't received anything, I cancelled in March. I am very dismayed with how HAL is handling this.

Joanne (aka - friedaliene) 

Edited by friedaliene