Will Allure be AMPED?

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

The ship can carry enough fuel to cross the Atlantic twice (but it's pushing the limit). Assuming Allure left FLL with full tanks they wouldn't necessarily need a complete fillup to get back.

That does surprise me - her tanks must be HUGE!

1 hour ago, mike123abc said:

I would expect all dry docks/refurbishments to be put on hold until the end of the virus problem.  You have to remember this involves a lot of workers at the dock to do the retrofit.  With all the travel being restricted in country after country how are these workers going to get to work?  Plus all the workers would have to work in close quarters...

We spoke with several staff including our table waiters and they said they were staying onboard to serve the contractors ( in a similar way to passengers it seems ) so maybe the travelling aspect of it isn't the problem, but just the relative closeness they'll all have?

I wonder what their 'wearing shorts to the dining room' equal is? ....  hardhat?  overalls? ha ha

Edited by ZiggaZagga17
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

We spoke with several staff including our table waiters and they said they were staying onboard to serve the contractors ( in a similar way to passengers it seems ) so maybe the travelling aspect of it isn't the problem, but just the relative closeness they'll all have?

I wonder what their 'wearing shorts to the dining room' equal is? ....  hardhat?  overalls? ha ha

Formal night attire.

image.png.4738376ae6e73e5a28eb77dd50f23505.png

8 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Pretty much as we think - although there are areas of the ship that need attention (our cabin for one, was the worst I've ever seen - got a 25% FCC for that and the food poisoning) so hopefully she'll be still around in October for our B2B! 

25%? They told me the most they could offer was 20%?/?

14 hours ago, irzero said:

Royal going bankrupt is out of my control and has no bearing on my booking and expectations

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

RCI going bankrupt had no bearing on your booking?🤔

16 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Enough to get across the Atlantic again?  She had a refuel tender alongside Friday morning (the stench is awful and it was directly below our balcony)

Yes, of course...

Spain has a total shut down for two weeks. So maybe they are "anchoring" in Gibraltar for the next two weeks until they can enter the dry dock in Cadiz.

steamboats

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Yes, of course...

Spain has a total shut down for two weeks. So maybe they are "anchoring" in Gibraltar for the next two weeks until they can enter the dry dock in Cadiz.

steamboats

That seems a logical solution. No port fees for that. Busy shipping lane though

10 hours ago, Blondiemomm said:

25%? They told me the most they could offer was 20%?/?

Yeah they went to 20% from 15, but the wife basically told the she'd walk away now with 25% without making a fuss or she'd 'make a fuss' and take it from there (at guest services of course!)

There was quite a bit of conversation about similar issues so I guess we weren't the only ones with a gripe

Seems like the ship yard (Navantia) shut down operation according to local news. This might be for 30 days.

This could also explain why the Allure is heading to Gibraltar. Either to fuel up for a trip back to the US or for sitting there until the ship yard is open again.

steamboats

3 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Seems like the ship yard (Navantia) shut down operation according to local news. This might be for 30 days.

This could also explain why the Allure is heading to Gibraltar. Either to fuel up for a trip back to the US or for sitting there until the ship yard is open again.

steamboats

With cruise operations shut down I don't know why they would bring Allure back to the States before they get the broken pod fixed unless they can fix it here. Is the shipyard in Freeport operational again?

4 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Yeah they went to 20% from 15, but the wife basically told the she'd walk away now with 25% without making a fuss or she'd 'make a fuss' and take it from there (at guest services of course!)

There was quite a bit of conversation about similar issues so I guess we weren't the only ones with a gripe

23 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Pretty much as we think - although there are areas of the ship that need attention (our cabin for one, was the worst I've ever seen - got a 25% FCC for that and the food poisoning) so hopefully she'll be still around in October for our B2B! 

Ah, so the extra 5% made it all better for you? Hopefully Karen doesn’t experience those issues on her next cruise and take our her... frustration... on the poor agent working at Guest Services for something beyond their control. I’m surprised to see you’re hoping those issues remain in October when you sail as they were bad enough for you to feel owed 25% to the point where Karen threatened to “make a fuss” for an extra 5%.

Anyway, I hope the ship gets Amped and has its regular cleaning and maintenance so others won’t experience a repeat of what you found to be very unfortunate.

• Like 1

Consider that given the original timetable, all the components going into the Amp are likely already fabricated and either at or ready to be shipped to the shipyard.  The only question now is when will the ship be able to enter the dry dock?  It could not be for several weeks or months, as by the time the dry dock may already be busy with the next scheduled ship.  Until all the pieces shake out, it's impossible to plan.  One thing that should not be a factor is the cruise schedule, as even after cruises resume demand will be way down, and keeping some ships out of service would be a more prudent decision than sailing well below capacity.

12 minutes ago, LeDemonBlond said:

I looked at a couple of different positioning sites and it looks like the Allure is well past Gibraltar.  Gibraltar is still shown as the destination though.

Right! Where is she headed?? 

2 hours ago, suizas said:

Right! Where is she headed?? 

Based on the ETA that's still showing, would Rotterdam or South Hampton be feasible? I mention South Hampton because of something that came up from the linked post, and Rotterdam because I think they have an Oasis sized drydock there. 

Either way, I can't see her going back to the US before getting the azipod bearing fixed at the very least. Sounds like it's gotten to the point that the ship vibrates with the third pod running, and they wouldn't want to risk having a second pod go bad while in the USA, especially with the Bahamas dock not coming back online until next year.

Only other thing I can think of is if they mothball Allure for awhile until things get better, but I can't see that realistically happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, astangenes said:

According to her AIS. Allure is scheduled to arrive in Gibraltar on 19th. So maybe they are just spending the time in the ocean. 

I believe maritime rules only allow ships to transit the Gibraltar Strait (which is not in international waters) so Allure can’t just hang out there, they need to keep moving. Just a guess.

She will probably lay up in Southampton till they decide what to do next. Most of the ports in Europe are closed now, so not many options to dock a ship of that size. That may give some hope that she will sail in the Med this year.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, zonacruiser25 said:

So much speculation and too many unanswered questions.  It looks like the yard is posting that Allure will be repaired and sent on her way without being amped, no work on cabins or interior.  RCCL has been selling the Amped ship for some time now and since we are booked on Oct 25, 2020 and TA, much of our expectation is based on the "new" ship.  Now that may change dramatically which seems to change the value of the cruise.  With all of the uncertainty in the cruise industry now, who is to say Allure will even be in the Med in October.  Hopefully this question can generate some accurate information which I believe is in short supply right now.  I hope the rumors are all wrong and she will get her full amp refurb!

I would say they are trying to preserve cash right now.  Going to see a few big ones fall during this humanitarian crisis.  There is no chance cruising will resume from USA ports for another few months...