Jewel turned away from Pacific ports

BillDz

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

How many nights was the original cruise, and now?

We're on day 19 now, cruise was planned to be 22 days (1 extra for dateline).

Hundreds of the passengers including us planned to be back-to-back on the next cruise, 14 days Papetee to Honolulu.  So we were expecting a total of 36 days, nowhere near that yet.

Great mood on board for most people, it's flat calm seas and warm. There are worse places to be wandering around than the South Pacific. Crew are great, onboard services are all normal, nothing has run out.

We'll be in Pago Pago (just to refuel, not get off at all) around 4pm local time today.

Rob

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

I was on the Jewel in Alaska in September, did the Akl to Syd in Dec.  Like the ship, like the itineraries, looking forward to going again, the sooner the better!!

dec 11 akl to syd?  that was my cruise, great weather just incredible scenery and ports, one of the best cruises I ever took

1 minute ago, Newleno said:

dec 11 akl to syd?  that was my cruise, great weather just incredible scenery and ports, one of the best cruises I ever took

That was it - and you are right - it was an incredible cruise.  I upgraded to an aft mini-suite when the prices dropped and had a postcard view of Sydney while we were docked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

That was it - and you are right - it was an incredible cruise.  I upgraded to an aft mini-suite when the prices dropped and had a postcard view of Sydney while we were docked.

4 hours ago, Newleno said:

I was on that one as well. Enjoyed it so much that I then did the 14-28 Feb Syd-NZ-Syd cruise (the one immediately prior to the current one). Also very enjoyable.

• Like 1

What a mess! Now they're being denied debarkation in Honolulu. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/19/coronavirus-cruise-ships-ports-disembarking/2873149001/

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2020/03/18/maasdam-and-norwegian-jewel-cruise-ships-to-refuel-and-restock-in-honolulu/

Does anybody know what their original debarkation date was? I thought it was last Saturday, March 14.

Edited by BillDz
Found answer to question

1 hour ago, BillDz said:

What a mess! Now they're being denied debarkation in Honolulu. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/19/coronavirus-cruise-ships-ports-disembarking/2873149001/

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2020/03/18/maasdam-and-norwegian-jewel-cruise-ships-to-refuel-and-restock-in-honolulu/

Does anybody know what their original debarkation date was? I thought it was last Saturday, March 14.

No, current cruise was due to finish in Papeete on either 19th or 20th March.

2 minutes ago, boeckli said:

No, current cruise was due to finish in Papeete on either 19th or 20th March.

20th.  Sadly I was booked on the cruise out of Papeete.  So instead of 2 weeks (or more) in the So. Pacific I'm self-quarantined at home for who knows how long. I honestly would have been fine just enjoying the view from my balcony, knowing that I was safe from all the madness at home (it has hit our local VA home) - but I am retired and have the luxury of changing plans at any time.  So for the folks on the Jewel now, I can only say relax and enjoy your cruise as best you can.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BillDz said:

It set sail last month on a 21 days and was scheduled to disembark 3/20 in Honolulu.  They are being permitted to take on additional food & fuel in Oahu but ... 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/19/818414439/norwegian-jewel-cruise-turned-away-from-port-again

In "normal" times on such an extended trip/vacation or cruise - we would carry at least 10 extra days worth of personal medications, 3 days for emergencies plus the daily dosage that we should take ... plus access to Tele-Med & copies of our Rx scripts that can be refilled abroad.   Now, whether that is sufficient for contingencies, remain to be seen for those on the Jewel.  

Meanwhile, US State Dept issued a Level 4 alert - today - advising all citizens to immediate return home and/or to be prepared for an extended stay abroad; and, to NOT travel anywhere else.  Major US airlines has already scaled back their long-haul and overseas flights & connections back to the US - it isn't as easy as said.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/19/818408595/state-department-tells-u-s-citizens-not-to-travel-abroad

More and more countries are waking up to the evil & unpleasant realities of closing and locking down their borders, airtight, if they could.  

Edited by mking8288

Ones persons night mare is another ones dream.  I dont have much responsibility and take zero meds since there is no corona on board this it is my dream to just cruise indefinitely.  Especially the Jewel great staff

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

It set sail last month on a 21 days and was scheduled to disembark 3/20 in Honolulu.  They are being permitted to take on additional food & fuel in Oahu but ... 

Incorrect.  It was scheduled to disembark on 3/20 in Papeete.  There are many passengers who were on a B2B and they would have gone on to Honolulu, disembarking on April 3.

12 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Ones persons night mare is another ones dream.  I dont have much responsibility and take zero meds since there is no corona on board this it is my dream to just cruise indefinitely.  Especially the Jewel great staff

If Steven is the GM I am sure you are being well taken care of by him and his team.

34 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

If Steven is the GM I am sure you are being well taken care of by him and his team.

No, GM is Rumi Khatao who will be equally well looking after those on board 🙂

Edited by boeckli

4 hours ago, boeckli said:

No, GM is Rumi Khatao who will be equally well looking after those on board 🙂

being on the cruise so ummmm...

nothing against him personally but when compared what was done on board a couple of years ago for way lesser inconvenience and now.... I wouldn’t use the word well looked after actually. It is more like being on a ship of a company struggling hard to keep financial liquidity over the next weeks and having other worries than our comfort or ease of mind.

Edited by onetimearoundtheworld

44 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

being on the cruise so ummmm...

nothing against him personally but when compared what was done on board a couple of years ago for way lesser inconvenience and now.... I wouldn’t use the word well looked after actually. It is more like being on a ship of a company struggling hard to keep financial liquidity over the next weeks and having other worries than our comfort or ease of mind.

I was really just picking up the description from the poster I was responding to and comparing the two GM's (both of whom I have sailed with on Jewel over the last couple of months).

You clearly are in a better position to judge the situation on-board.

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

I honestly would have been fine just enjoying the view from my balcony, knowing that I was safe from all the madness at home (it has hit our local VA home) - but I am retired and have the luxury of changing plans at any time.

I'm going to guess we might be neighbors.  The VA Home is the hot spot in Oregon.

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Sweet Home

Lebanon here, I wanted to be on the Jewell coming home.  Some friends arrived yesterday sailing on the Eurodam coming back from Hawaii.  They sailed into San Diego.  Didn't have any problems getting off the ship.  It's going to be interesting what the Jewell does now.  We're scheduled on the Sun June 1st to Alaska.  Who knows what's going to happen.

2 minutes ago, Warbird said:

Lebanon here, I wanted to be on the Jewell coming home.  Some friends arrived yesterday sailing on the Eurodam coming back from Hawaii.  They sailed into San Diego.  Didn't have any problems getting off the ship.  It's going to be interesting what the Jewell does now.  We're scheduled on the Sun June 1st to Alaska.  Who knows what's going to happen.

If things had gone as planned, I'd be at LAX right now, getting ready to board that plane to Papeete.  Fingers crossed for Europe in May but thinking that's not too likely either.  Booked on the Sun also, but at the end of the season, so maybe some hope there.  So spring cleaning and yardwork it is for now.  Stay safe!

To those onboard the Jewel.  Stay positive. Try to keep things as normal as you can. They will find a great place for you to disembark.  If it makes you feel any better, pretty much everyone near a larger USA city is more or less staying home. Restaurants can only sell take out. People pretty much are going to the store, and then staying home for days. Families are not even visiting each other.

But we are hoping you get to home sweet home real soon. Keep us posted.

It has been reported from those on board that they are down one azipod as of last night.  The refueling/supply stop in Honolulu will be later on March 22 now.

I wonder if HI will let the ship be repaired there if passengers stay on board?  If not, how much longer than usual will it take to get to a west coast port on one azipod?

42 minutes ago, Docb225 said:

Had to look up Azipod, for reference https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right, it is the propulsion units.  With only one operating, the ship's maximum speed is reduced.  (I think to about 16 knots) 

The latest news onboard is they will now be disembarking in Honolulu March 22 - scheduled to dock at 8:00pm.

Edited by herdingdogmom
  • Like 2